PDA

View Full Version : Tips for fine hair? Need help!

got2pals
June 30th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Anybody have any tips for styling (or handling) fine/silky hair? Up or down. I need advice for how to get it to hold shape (including its own waves). I'd really like to go beyond the plain braid and ponytail or even wear it down. But things fray apart or go flat and tangly.

I've had long hair (waist length) for quite a while and just found this forum and learned so much. I didn't know how much I didn't know.
Thanks!

Fiferstone
June 30th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Welcome to LHC got2pals, from a fellow finey. Totally check out Torrin Paige's YouTube tutorials, and also Hypnotica's YouTube tutorials for additional styling ideas. I joined at waist-length as well and pretty much had the following as my style repertoire: up = cinnamon bun or braided cinnamon bun; half up = section of hair in a barrette at the back of my head or braid, or ponytail, or "down."

I learned a TON just reading the posts in the "mane" forum or the "conventional products and accessories" forum.

once again, welcome :).

dainaleeo2
June 30th, 2010, 04:59 PM
hi! :)
i have fine hair as well, but a lot of it [or so it feels sometimes :p ]

it's somewhat wavy & somewhat straight, so to play up the waves i mainly use a spray gel. the one from garnier fructis, the wonder waves spray, works amazingly & gives me actually SOFT waves, since i know how they can get crunchy if you use too much. mousse gave me crunchy waves, so i suggest a spray gel. it's easier to "scrunch" out the gel as well. aveeno also makes a good spray, but it has protein in it so if your sensitive to that then stick with garnier [or herbal essences].

also, to make the waves a bit more soft & frizz free, i scrunch with an old t-shirt instead of a towel, since a towel will make it frizz more. a nifty tip i picked up on here!

coconut oil & jojoba oils also work well for me. i leave a bit on the ends. olive oil works good but mainly as a heavy oil that i leave on for about an hour to 3 hours before i shower :) it makes for a wonderful conditioning pre-shampoo :)
hope this helped!

got2pals
July 1st, 2010, 02:03 PM
Thank you Dianaleeo2 and Fiferstone. Of course, I hadn't thought to check out You Tube, what a great resource. I'll have to check out Garnier "wonder waves" (makes me think of Wonder Woman:D)

I like to put a little jojoba oil on the (dry) ends to detangle and shine. I want to try coconut because jojoba can be a little itchy on the skin. I like olive oil to deep condition before washing, but only because I haven't tried anything else yet.

Thanks again!