PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who feels like their hair is not long?

mtstorm
June 30th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I have always wanted to have long hair, but for various reasons was never able to grow my hair much past BSL. Well last year I found the LHC and for the first time got real answers about how to treat, handle, and care for my long hair. So, I took the plunge and decided to grow my hair until it reached my goal length, which at the time was hip. I began wearing it up everyday, which was hard at first but has now become habit. I learned many new ways of putting my hair up, traded in my brush for a wooden comb, learned what cones are, began CWC, got rid of my blow dryer/curling iron/hot rollers (which I only used a couple times a year anyways), and became addicted to hair sticks.

It has been slightly over a year since my last trim, but for some reason I am not satisfied with my hair. Where I live BSL hair is common and waist length is not uncommon. I know my hair is long yet I do not feel like it is long. I see women and some men with BSL and I think “wow, they have long hair” yet when I see mine I always feel as though it is not long. Do others feel the same about their hair? I should be nearing hip length soon (still not quite sure where that is) and am now planning on growing my hair to TBL. Maybe I will feel as though my hair is long at TBL?

Does anyone else feel like their hair isn’t long? Is this phase?

This is my hair when I started, at six months, and then my hair now with braid waves.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5789&pictureid=75647

dfotw
June 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I feel exactly the same as you.

My hair is just about the same length as yours, but when I see your hair-length pics I go 'wow, such long, beautiful hair :bowtome:' and when I see my hair in the mirror, I go 'blah! When will it grow? :nono:'...

I hope it's a phase!

One thing that does help me when I'm feeling like this is to change hair-dos. I usually wear my hair in a bun, but when I do a high braid and see the length and feel it thumping the middle of my back, it's as if I'm seeing someone else's hair and *then* I think it's pretty long! :crazyq:

Maybe something else will help. I'll be stalking this thread to see if the hair-gurus have answers for us! :pray:

UltraBella
June 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I feel like my hair doesn't appear as long as other people's at the same length as mine because my hair is so thick and poofy. If it was sleek and straight it would look longer........ And I am struggling at this length to take care of so much hair, so I don't think I want to grow it longer. In fact, I think I want to cut it shorter !

ifyouforget
June 30th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Can't speak for others, but I went through a similar feeling the first time I grew my hair long. Partially it was because my hair is both thick and, er...large, and the added width made it feel less long because the shape was less of an elongated rectangle. Perhaps that could be a factor?

Also a lot of it is psychological. Most people stink at figuring out how they look in comparison to others. It's been shown through studies that most women, if given a lineup of other women of various weights, will guess themselves to be quite a bit heavier/larger than they are. I think the principle carries over- we think we're 'less good' than we are, often. If 'good' is long hair, ours feels shorter, if 'good' is skinny, we feel heavier....etc. Basically it's all in your head :)

I bet if you start objectively looking at lengths- ie "her hair hits her waist, so mine is proportionally longer" "her's hits her butt, mine's shorter" etc etc, you might start to get a more accurate idea of how long your hair looks to others.

Woops, Ultrabella beat me to it!

JenniferNoel
June 30th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Hm, I feel like I'm just the opposite. People with BSL/MBL hair of similar texture and thickness always comment on how, er, long my hair is. I think it's the illusion given by the fact that is black, smoothly wurly, and had to-the-ear eyebrow level bangs to give it contrast. The clothes I wear make my hair seem longer. I noticed lighter hair (medium brown to blondes) for some reason, in my personal opinion, seem to need to be longer to look "long" than darker colors.
Well, if that made any sense to anyone, awesome. I'm rambling. :p

Quixii
June 30th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I didn't think my hair was long until I joined LHC. :shrug: I was a bit past tailbone at that point.

CourtneyBee
June 30th, 2010, 04:28 PM
It's always so nice to hear that reminder though isn't it?

"Your hair is so long!" surprises me every time I hear it!

Gnomentum
June 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm at waist, and don't feel long yet (though I seemed to grow about an inch the other day and was thrilled to bits when my pal noticed!) I hope I feel long at hip.

Capybara
June 30th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I've had "long" hair all my life. I didn't think it was long until my last year of high school. We were doing portraits of each other in an art class, and one girl drew me full length from the side. I was shocked at how long my hair looked in the picture, but in real life... doesn't feel long :shrug:

GRU
June 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'm another one whose "width" seems to cancel out the "length" like UB and ifyouforget said.

And like the OP, I've been trying to grow my hair long F-O-R-E-V-E-R seemingly with no success, and now that I've finally gotten some true length, it still "feels" like it's still BSL in my head.

I think it's kind of related to the fact that we see teeny tiny changes everyday, so it doesn't seem like any change at all. Kind of like how your kid looks the same to you because you see him everyday, but then when Grandma sees him for the first time in almost a year, she exclaims over how much he's grown.

lastnite
June 30th, 2010, 07:39 PM
my hair is thin/fine so it doesn't feel long to me. even at tailbone length, I felt like it was just wispy ends making it there. occasionally I see women with the same length as mines was, but theirs seems longer to me because it's thicker.
hopefully henna and using the herbal treatments more regularly will help thicken it enough that growing it back to tailbone will make it worthwhile.

mtstorm
June 30th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Thank you everyone! I am glad to see that I am not the only one stuck in this mindset. Hopefully with time and length it will pass.

Medievalmaniac
June 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I "know" my hair is long - but it doesn't seem it to me, or at least not as much as I would like it to. Maybe at TBL it will feel longer = but I do love it right now more than I ever have, so I'm trying to maintain perspective by remembering it is right now longer than it has ever been. :)

Dragon
June 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM
My hair is down to my waist and it doesent feel long:(

Jeni
June 30th, 2010, 08:34 PM
my hair is thin/fine so it doesn't feel long to me. even at tailbone length, I felt like it was just wispy ends making it there. occasionally I see women with the same length as mines was, but theirs seems longer to me because it's thicker. snip

This. I feel like if my hair had some weight to it then maybe it would feel longer...

I wear my hair up in a bun 99% of the time so I think I also tend to forget how long it is.

missfortune9335
June 30th, 2010, 08:34 PM
eh, I'm in this boat too. I've been growing my hair out from a pixie and right now it's between APL and BSL (so *much* longer than it's been in a very long time) it should feel long to me, but it looks so short! I think it's just because I'm obsessed with it being long and everyone here has such long luxurious hair... :crush:

Paniscus
June 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I think most of us, at one time or the other, have this feeling. My hair is past waist, nearly tailbone, but still.. it just doesn't seem as long as some other people with similar length hair. Can't figure it out.

Kristin
June 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM
In addition to the whole "not seeing yourself the way others see you" issue is the fact that our idea of what constitutes "long hair" is pretty different from the norm. What I came to LHC, I was amazed at the lengths I saw here. Now, I think that hip to classic length hair is normal. I logged on with my sister the other day and she saw some pics and said, "Omigosh, some of these people have REALLY long hair!" but we were only looking at pics of TBL or so.

That said, I feel like my hair is short ALL the time. It is the longest it has been in my adult life and it feels quite short to me most days. It's between BSL and waist. Maybe it will feel/look long to me at hip? Or maybe I'll grow to the floor, lol.:D

EDIT: Also, we don't regularly see ourselves from behind, which is where you get the idea that people have shockingly long hair. Oftentimes, you can't really tell how long someone's hair is from the front and that's how you see yourself most often.

jasper
June 30th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I have a little debate with myself at times when I see other people with hair I consider long. It goes something like:
Self: she has long hair. Look.
Self: she has APL hair. What are you talking about?
Self: no, look. It looks long.
Self: your hair is longer than that. You call your hair long?

And then I look around for someone with at least BSL to try to make a point to myself.
:shrug:
I don't know what The other self means, but sometimes it sounds like I am telling myself I could get a big chop and still have long hair.

Igor
June 30th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Oh yes. I guess it’s because you are yourself, in your own body 24/7 and you always see yourself as “normal”
I don’t see my hair as “long” because “long” somehow implies something unusual or extraordinary, but to me it isn’t unusual because it’s me having it

Did that make sense? :lol:

It’s silly though, because compared to people having “long hair” here, mine is usually twice their length and when I see someone on LHC that makes me go “Oh (s)he has long hair” that person often has shorter hair than me!

christine1989
June 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Some days mine feels long (until I look at all of the pics on LHC!) then I feel like it is so short!

Luckysock
June 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Yes, I'm totally there! - people keep commenting on how long my hair is, so I know its growing but it still feels quite short - I'm almost most at waist, but I'm long torso'd so its still a good 4 inches from the small of my back - I feel like when it gets to that curve in your back, its long lol.

mtstorm you are totally where I want to be with my length - I guess 'long' is in the eye of the beholder lol ;)

verene
June 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I often feel like my hair still isn't that long. I had long hair for much of my youth, cut it short-ish senior year of high school, and then took years for it to feel "long" again.

Perception is a strange thing. I can see pictures online, or even women on the street and think "wow here hair is long, I wish mine were that long" only to realize that the person's hair is bsl or waist, and mine hair is longer than that. It was a strange day when I realized my hair is longer than one of my long-hair inspirations, and I hadn't noticed. I think I'm starting to catch on now that I'm slowly approaching tailbone, and I can feel my hair brushing my back above the waistband of my jeans. Even if I still think it looks short in the mirror I know it must be long.

verene
June 30th, 2010, 10:19 PM
I often feel like my hair still isn't that long. I had long hair for much of my youth, cut it short-ish senior year of high school, and then took years for it to feel "long" again.

Perception is a strange thing. I can see pictures online, or even women on the street and think "wow here hair is long, I wish mine were that long" only to realize that the person's hair is bsl or waist, and mine hair is longer than that. It was a strange day when I realized my hair is longer than one of my long-hair inspirations, and I hadn't noticed. I think I'm starting to catch on now that I'm slowly approaching tailbone, and I can feel my hair brushing my back above the waistband of my jeans. Even if I still think it looks short in the mirror I know it must be long.

juliaxena
June 30th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I hope I won't be feeling this way once I reach BSL because having hair this short is a bit of an agony. I don't want to go through my entire life like that.

IcarusBride
June 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM
I think I've gotten disillusioned regarding hair. Initially, seeing pictures of TB+ length hair gave me a magical feeling of wonder, but now I mostly don't get that feeling anymore. I kind of miss it...

Loreley
July 1st, 2010, 01:20 AM
I've had long hair (between waist and butt length) for ages. I felt like my hair wasn't long till I reached past classic length. Even now when I see a girl with for example TBL hair I think "oh, her hair is so long, I'm jealous!" and then I realize my hair is longer. :p

freckles
July 1st, 2010, 01:47 AM
I don't feel like my hair is long yet. I hope when it's at tailbone it will feel long.

Juneii
July 1st, 2010, 01:53 AM
yes, I remember being at BSL and thinking "gosh, waist length is so long", got to waist length "it's not long at all! hip length is so long!" got to hip length, "it doesn't feel very different, maybe classic!"

and it will go on and on and on...

Barniie
July 1st, 2010, 02:07 AM
Hahaha, true. My hair doesent feel long. Thats because it isn't.

People tell me I care too much for my hair, but i think of it as one day, this hair will be my ends, so when my hair is long, It will be nice! Everyone thinks i'm obsessed..

Long_hair_guy
July 1st, 2010, 02:46 AM
My hair still like its at my shoulders. Every now and again I look at myself in a shop window or my mirror and notice how close to my tailbone.

When I was with a friend I was standing behind a female with waist length hair. I said to my friend that I wish my hair was that long which he responded with your hair is longer.

Also at my new hairdressers she said that my hair was the longest she has seen for a number of years

tinti
July 1st, 2010, 02:51 AM
I don't think my hair is long, either. And it's not ;p

Night_Kitten
July 1st, 2010, 03:39 AM
I feel the same way as you mtstorm, my hair just now starts to feel long to me sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't feel long at all...
When I look a some one with well taken care of waist length hair, I think "wow, what a long and pretty hair, I wish my hair was like that..." and then after a few seconds it hits me that my hair is actually longer...
When I look in the mirror, it doesn't seem long, but if I take a picture and look at a picture, I suddenly realize that it IS long... :p
The same happens when I wear it down at home and start playing with the ends behind my back, suddenly I realize how long it really is...

Bller
July 1st, 2010, 03:48 AM
I don't think my hair is long, either. And it's not ;p

Good point, same reply as you in my situation !

trillcat
July 1st, 2010, 04:35 AM
Heh, I have the same problem!
My hair is below BSL now, I still have that internal dialog that Jasper mentioned a few posts above. (and except for the pixie incident, I have had long hair my whole life)
Mine goes something like this,
Self: Ooo, she/he (random person) has pretty long hair, I wish my hair was that long!
Long Hair Self: Um, your hair is actually longer than that.
Self: No... well yea, but it doesn't look that long!
Long Hair Self: Yes it does
Self: But theirs is better, it looks longer somehow!
Long Hair Self: Maybe people look at YOU and think, Ooo, pretty hair, I wish my hair was that long?
Self: Nah, never happen.
I think this forum can be as much of a curse sometimes as much as it is a blessing.
We look at some of the drop dead beautiful very very long perfect hair here of all types, and we compare ourselves to that standard. Which is good , because it drives us to take better care of our hair, but it can be bad if we continue to compare ourselves to hair types we can never have.
For instance, I want that long sheet of glass look of 1a hair. I used to have that gosh darn it, (way back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) but my now 1c bordering on 2a hair has other ideas. *sigh*
I am sure some people with 1a hair wish they had my natural body wave.
The grass is always greener on the other side.
I think the idea of that "gold standard" in our own heads of what we wish our hair to be keeps some of us from thinking our hair is long, when it really is, and it is really pretty!

Purdy Bear
July 1st, 2010, 04:46 AM
At the moment my hair isnt long - but it will get there, however, I can remember going to see a Dermatologist who said my hair shouldnt be any longer then it was then. I moaned because it was short, but he said dont be daft it was almost at the waist.

Iv thought about it recently, it seems to be a personal perception. Some people think long is anything past the shoulders while others is ankle length. For me personally I wont have long hair until it gets at least to my waist (with Shoulders being short, BSL being Medium).

myotislucifugus
July 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
When I hit waist I was disappointed, because it doesn't feel long. I'm between hip and tailbone, and it still doesn't feel that long. I suspect when I hit tailbone it won't feel all that long for a while, but I suspect that when i have to start making sure I don't sit on it it will feel long.

I think we also have this perception that when our hair is long to us, there will have to be some concious realization of it, either in the form of constant awareness or some mental little itch, which just isn't the case. As it grows each day we become accustomed to each new length, thus no weird sudden gasp:"My God! My hair is Long!"

Merewen
July 1st, 2010, 08:53 AM
I get that every so often. Not so much when the hair is down - but when it is braided. Gah! My braid seems so short. I think this is because of any shrinkage associated with the braid, along with the fact that my brain sees where the tie is as the "end" of the braid, regardless of the tassle length. Also, it's hard to bun the braid. It's just not long enough to do that properly yet. I know my braid is far from a "stubby" braid, but it just does not feel like it sometimes.

Carolyn
July 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
My hair seems sort of longish at waist length. Other people might call it "really long" or "super long" but I can't see it that way. I know my own self perception is skewed. As devoted long hairs I don't think a lot of us can get enough hair.

Islandgrrl
July 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
I don't consider my hair long.

It's totally a perception thing, because I can look at someone whose hair is shorter than mine and think, "Wow, gorgeous long hair."

Go figure.

triumphator!
July 1st, 2010, 11:57 AM
I feel like my hair isn't long... because it isn't!! It's only just past my shoulders, boo hoo. : (

Sometimes I feel like it is longer than it actually is, and then I look in the mirror. Now that's weird.

RachelRain
July 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
I don't feel like my hair is as long as others make it out to be - especially random strangers - but then I don't look at it very often. The rare occasion that I catch it in a mirror and see the entire length of it, I can see their point, but I still don't think it's all that long.

xoxophelia
July 1st, 2010, 12:00 PM
I think my hair will feel like it is in long territory when I am at hip and then a length I feel is "special" long to my tastes at TB.

:)

WritingPrincess
July 1st, 2010, 12:12 PM
I first started feeling that my hair was "long" around tailbone. Now, when I'm combing it, sometimes I'll look down at the length and think, "Wow, it's long!". That happens less often now that I've decided my hair is long. It'll come, so just be patient.

IStand4u
July 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
I am the same way, my hair is at waist when it's straight, and I look at it and go "wow, it's kinda long!" and then it gets curly and pops back up to just below BSL and I'm like "It's not growing! Grow faster! Gah!" Though my hair does grow fast...

Idun
July 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM
The opposite of anorexia is bigorexia or muscle dysmorphia I read. So, would hair bigorexia (abbreviated to HB?) be an appropriate term?

I am clearly a sufferer myself. When at BSL I thought waist was long. at waist I thought hip was long. Now at hip I still think my hair isn´t that long. :rolleyes:

hmmm
July 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
I'll never think my hair is long enough. Not until I get rid of those blasted layers.

Iron0Maiden
July 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
You really should not compare yourself to others on here... I mean there are people here whose hair is to their knees! But if you look on the streets and compare yourself to them, you will seem like rapunzel because a lot of people have such short hair.

AZDesertRose
July 1st, 2010, 02:53 PM
Mine feels short to me because I wore it past waist length for years, and then in March chopped it to BSL (I'm sorry now, although I had fun with it for a while). Now it's a little past BSL but a few inches from waist and I feel like it's so short.

jera
July 1st, 2010, 03:07 PM
You really should not compare yourself to others on here... I mean there are people here whose hair is to their knees!

I used to feel like my hair was quite long until I joined LHC. Now I've got a hair inferiority complex and my hair is at tailbone length so I don't know what it will take before I feel comfortable and like I really fit in here. :o

JenniferNoel
July 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM
Haha, funny story from earlier today. I have to contradict my first post in this thread, I really should have knocked on wood when I posted that.
Friend: "Wow, that girl over there has long hair just like you, it's the same color and texture and everything!"
Me: "Nah, hers is at least three inches longer." *checks reflection in window*
She walks in to the coffee shop right before we do, and I end up standing right behind the girl.
Friend (whispering): "See?"
I realized the girl's hair was barely past BSL. :o

marikamt
July 1st, 2010, 04:32 PM
I am laughing because I can so relate.... I was just past APL when I joined, and thought BSL would feel long... it did, for about a second... then I started thinking waist would be long.... ummmm.... there now and doesn't 'feel' long, even though in my head, I know IRL it is long........
I look at other people and think "wow, what pretty long hair, wish mine was that long" only to realize mine is longer.... same as above posters....
but then, (like today) once in a while I am outside and I see my shadow and where my hair is blowing (I wore it down today) and I think it IS long......... go figure.... :lol:
I agree w/ whoever said it is the hair equivalent of anorexia... hair dysmorphic disorder......

rosieex3
July 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
Wow, and I thought I was the only one! I feel like my hair is so "average," yet when I go out places I get so many "Oh I love your hair, it's so long!" comments. Whenever I call my hair short my friends want to slap me, LOL. I think because my hair looks long from behind, but when i pull it in front of my shoulders I loose quite a few inches of length since my hair is in a "V" shape and the longest part of the V is pulled forward the most making it shorter. I don't know, but I just can't wait until my hair looks way past BSL in the front.

mhiap
July 1st, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have been told that my hair is "really long", but I don't feel it. Yet I see people with shorter hair than mine and think, wow that's so long. I think it's more to do with their hair looking nicer than mine than longer, even though they might use cones, extensions, straighteners etc.

At the minute I'm thinking when I get past waist, I might feel like my hair is long. Maybe!

embee
July 1st, 2010, 05:23 PM
I think my hair is "not really long", although it's at term, been there a few years, just the longest few hairs at classic. That's because I never wear my hair down and I constantly contrast it with what I see here on this board. For me, *long* hair would be mid thigh or knee.

Yes, I realize that's silly, but that's what my mind tells me. Although when I joined here I was about waist and thought my hair was long. I do have the longest hair of anyone I know personally - and anyone I've seen recently in this area. But you'd never know it. ;)

princessp
July 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Your hair is gorgeous and long! But to answer your question, yes I do not feel my hair is very long either.

tofuowl
July 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM
My hair was around waist length for so long that I feel like it'll always be waist length in my head. My husband and friends are always commenting about how long it's getting, and if I really look, I can see the growth. Otherwise, it feels like "normal," even though it's substantially longer than everyone else's ^^;

I'm not sure when or if I'll ever feel that it's "long enough." My current goal is classic, but I think I'll just stop there and let it thicken up before continuing on to fingertips. I think if that doesn't feel long to me, nothing will lol.

aksown
July 2nd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Me too!!! I wear my hair up most of the time and it takes catching my reflection or my shadow to make me realize just how long it is. I don't have eyeballs inserted in the back of my head so I can't see the length without a lot of acrobatics. :D

countryhopper
July 2nd, 2010, 12:15 AM
Ack!! UltraBella, DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm only at APL, so I knowmy hair is really, truely, not long :D. Plus, where I live waist is a pretty common length, and many women have tailbone+ hair.

I think that V-hemlines seem to look less long than blunt hemlines, in my opinion.

naereid
July 2nd, 2010, 04:34 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one. :p

It's "only" BSL, but realistically I know BSL is long. It's just that it doesn't feel long at all to me, especially compared to my goal length. And especially since most girls have BSL here, and waistish is not uncommon.

I had twin braids recently and felt like they reached SL or something. When I saw pictures of myself later I was like whooooaaaa... :eek:
Yesterday my mom phoned to tell me "I just saw a girl in a blue dress and long hair and thought it was you". I almost told her "mom please, I don't have long hair". :p

hm85
July 4th, 2010, 10:45 AM
I feel like that too. My hair is fine and thin but since taking biotin and using coconut oil i feel its gradually getting thicker. But only two of my friends have noticed growth so maybe i have not had that much!

spidermom
July 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM
O.k., well, take it from me: your hair is l o n g.

I've had short hair most of my life (pixie to shoulder length), so I declared my hair to be long at APL. It was, for me. At around waist length, my massage therapist referred to it as "crazy-long". Now it must be insanely long. (no disrespect intended toward the crazy or the insane)

Dragon
September 24th, 2010, 04:26 AM
I feel like my hair doesn't appear as long as other people's at the same length as mine.

Little_Bird
September 24th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Oh, you're not the only one :p I know my hair is long but it doesn't feel like it.

It might be, in my case or some other cases, because we don't wear it loose to often. When I do wear it loose if already causes some trouble, getting stuck on things :rolleyes:

Either ways, here on LHC there are people with such amazing lenght, and if we percieve that as the real long hair deal, then we'll never feel we have long hair :lol:

Your hair IS long anyways... ;p And very beautyfull too!:D

JulietCapulet
September 24th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Your hair is extremely long and beautiful, so I hope you can see this :-)

BrightBlack
September 24th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I thought my hair was long until a couple weeks ago. Compared to most people around here it IS - short hair is 'in' round here.

But then I came here and suddenly it seems the shorter side of medium length. LOL I'll catch up, though!

hmmm
September 24th, 2010, 11:53 PM
My hair's never been this long before, so at APL I consider it long (to me). Whenever I say that to people though, they give me a strange look and tell me it's not long. :lol:

Jules diamond
September 24th, 2010, 11:59 PM
My hair felt long last time it was this length, but it doesn't this time around. I think it's because it was all one length and so the front was longer and it was healthier because I never dyed it.

But, this coming trim (january, I think) I'm getting rid of the rest of it. ><! I'm so excited.

Back on topic, nope. Waist and still not long.

LittleOrca
September 25th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I never see my hair as long, and I have TBL :). Maybe it is because it is not at goal or not as pretty as <insert idol here>. I am always my worst hair critic, even after my trim that did do it a lot of good. I also find it funny that my concept of long changes as my hair grows. When I was younger, I thought Kate Winslet's hair in Titanic was long. Now looking back on it, I remember saying aloud, "Wow, that is short."

christine1989
September 25th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Even when my hair was waist length I don't remember thinking it was long. I live in a wealthy suburb where all of the rich girls have expensive, long hair extentions and go to school in Seattle where the multitude of hippies have TB length dreadlocks. When you see it around all the time you change your definition of long. If I saw your hair though I would definatly take notice! The hemline is so nice and thick and I love the beautiful color :). Even though long hair is common in some places, healthy long hair is rare and yours is definatly in that elite category.

swivelhop
September 25th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I've always seen my hair as "long" in the sense it is not short or medium "cut style." I had no clue what the longest it had been was til I saw photos. I'm about 5 inches from tailbone now, and it just is "about normal maybe a little short" to me. Thick hair takes forever to seem long, proportion problem.

Henrietta
September 25th, 2010, 01:56 AM
mtstorm, if I were you I would really feel like I had long hair already! Maybe I just think so because I am at BSL. But... Look at those pictures and think "This is not me". Do you think that this woman has long hair? Objectively?

Yes, she does.

Joliebaby
September 25th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Your hair is definitely hip, soon tbl!
My hair is now longer than ever since childhood, but it's still only bsl and feels short to me, ever since coming here ;)

ETA: I think I'm the opposite regarding thickness though, to me thick hair always seems like it's much longer than thin hair of the same length or longer! Because there is just more of it. I think that's why I used to think that I wouldn't grow beyond waist, I thought I'd look like "hair on legs" LOL! But I've changed my mind. Thick super long hair looks great to me now :D
Plus it's so hard to do any decent looking buns with thick hair, even at waist.

pictsie
September 25th, 2010, 04:36 AM
well...i definitely feel like my hair is not long...but that is because it really really isn't...really really...

you have beautiful long hair...there is a lot of beautiful long hair here...i have hair envy...

Theobroma
September 25th, 2010, 06:33 AM
I'm currently just a few centimetres short of waist and my hair most definitely doesn't seem long to me! I think it's partly because I have severe fairytale ends and only a small proportion of my ends is actually close to waist, but I've been a bit past waist before and it still didn't feel long to me.

I suspect that when I reach hip I'll start thinking "OK, it's finally getting longish now." :)

wendyg
September 25th, 2010, 07:10 AM
It's my considered view that the longer your hair gets the shorter it feels. I don't know, maybe things change when you get to knee length or something. :)

wg

FrannyG
September 25th, 2010, 07:15 AM
When I see photos of people with hair the same length as my own, I think their hair is so much longer than mine, so yeah, I'm one of those who will likely never think my hair is as long as it is, even when I reach goal.

Nicoliee
January 13th, 2011, 03:26 AM
I feel that way. My hair is waist length but I'm Apostolic Pentecostal and so I know a lot of girls with long hair. And mine is no where near as long as some of theirs. And so I feel like mine isn't long sometimes. lol.

Florencienne
January 13th, 2011, 03:31 AM
You're not the only one who feels like that! But I have a reason - my hair isn't actually long :D (yet)

Your hair is gorgeous!

BellCat
January 13th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I'm the exact same! Although im getting loads of 'your hair is so long!' It doesn't look that way to me! I was hoping once I hit my goal of hip I'll think differently :/!

skyblue
January 13th, 2011, 05:20 AM
my hair doesn't feel long to me either, though everyone else says so lol, I thought hip length would feel long but it really doesn't---my hair is layered maybe once all the layers catch up???

ooo
January 13th, 2011, 05:54 AM
It's not just a feeling. My hair is short and other people see it as short.

Quahatundightu
January 13th, 2011, 06:18 AM
I think for me it's the contrast between what I want my hair to be, and how my hair actually is. In my mind I see my hair reaching TB and being thicker - that's what I dream of. So every time I look in the mirror I get the feeling that it is nowhere near what I want!

Other people don't have that image in their mind and just see my hair as it is. Usually I get nice comments, so it can't be so bad..?

Fufu
January 13th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I think it's the feeling of, "never getting the satisfaction".

I definitely feel my hair is short, whereas I know there are people who start to say I'm sporting longer hair.

starlights
January 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM
My hairs past waist but still feels sooo short to me sometimes!
I remember a few months back i saw a long haired girl walking, and i admired her hair and my friend said my hair was the same length already, but i couldnt believe it!

madeline_
January 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I guess you would think that hanging out at this forum. Sometimes when I've been reading for a long time I'll think OMG my hair is so short, but actually I have the longest hair of most of my girlfriends, and I rather think that the majority on this forum is (only) shooting for healthy WL-ish, which is considered really long in the non-LHC world. I myself will be very happy if I ever make it past BSL as my hair is soooo fine. It's just that the really really longhairs around here attract more attention (and they should). :)