PDA

View Full Version : Not happy, What should I do? Layers? Bangs?

jmallen62691
June 30th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hi all! I'd really appreciate your opinions on what I should do with my hair. I finally got all my layers grown out a few months ago, after two years of growing! And now...I want to cut again. >.<

I love the length and would love to continue growing it longer, but I'm not happy with the way it looks in the front. My up-dos look very plain and the hair doesn't lay well when I wear it down either. I've taken to wearing headbands daily to help add something to the front, but I can't see myself doing that for much longer.

So, here are the options I've been weighing. 1) Getting side swept bangs and leaving the rest alone. 2) Getting side swept bangs and a face-framing layer. 3) Cutting it back up to a shoulder length style.

Here's what it looks like right now and how I've been wearing it.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g286/pajamajes/Mobile%20Uploads/0627001725-1.jpg

All ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance! You all are always so much help! <3

lapushka
June 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
It's fine the way it is, but since it's obviously bothering you... I'd go with 2. :) To me side-swept bangs always look nicer when there's some FF layers.

Tabihito
June 30th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Side-swept bangs can be nice, plus they won't mess with the rest of your hair. They're what I've got. The only issue is that if you ever want to get rid of them, there's going to be a very long, very annoying in-between stage while you grow them out.

Chamomile betty
June 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
You have very beautiful hair. I would try the side swept bangs first with some long layers in front. Remember if you get layers cut in it will change how the hairline looks in the back.
Good luck.

zenobia
June 30th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I think you would look great with side-swept bangs and some face-framing layers.

Deborah
June 30th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I think your hair is fine, and on it's way to being long and lovely. It just needs to be longer to make you happy. All the bangs and layering will just delay what I think is your real goal; to have long, one length hair.

I vote that you leave it alone, find some cuter buns and wear it up a lot, especially while it's hot. Your hair is just at a length, and in a phase that you don't especially like. Hang in there! Just give it time and tender care, and you will start enjoying it as it gets longer and prettier. :flower:

Dream0331
June 30th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Maybe try doing a braided hairband when you do updos? Could try different types of braids for it too so it isn`t the same every day.

x0h_bother
June 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Side part :) I am growing out sideswept bangs..*groan* and layers...*moan*
just..say..no :) My suggestion: try to do something different, just not *snipped*!
PS your hair is beautiful!

tinti
June 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
What you could try to do is leave a few strands framing your face next time you're wearing it up and see how that works for you. Last time I was growing out my bangs, and they were getting pretty long, too, I ended up with doing that and I found that it did soften my updos a bit more than just plain straight back :) That being said, I do have a big forehead, and you don't. Besides, you're not me, I'm just telling what helped me. Or you can fake bangs, do a front poof, or as it has been said, make a front braid. If you decide to cut I'd go for side swept with ff layers :)

triumphator!
June 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I think if you try face framing pieces BEFORE you get side-swept bangs, it will be easier for you to judge how much of a change you really want. If you decide not to cut at all, try parting it to the side one day, then parting it to the other side another day, then try some structural buns, then maybe some braids, you could do a different thing each day of the week! I bet you're considering cutting because you've been agonizing over it as it grows out, and now you're tired of looking at it. Try mixing it up before cutting!

klcqtee
June 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
If you wear it down usually, I vote face framing layers. If you wear it up usually, I say side swept bangs.

In addition to head bands you could find some pretty silk scarves (cheap at thrift stores, and easy to make) to try instead. I'll tie it like a head band, then braid the ends into my braid, and tie it off at the bottom with the leftover ends. I thought it was cute.

Capybara
June 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I second the FF layers/side bangs :)

Also, if you want to hold off cutting (ie. until your appointment, or if you are implementing the two week rule), you could do a lace braid or side braid to add interest to the front :)

Tiina
June 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I agree with triumphator. You don't need to get both bangs and faceframing layers, the latter might be enough and it's far less of a pain once they start growing longer. Also, you don't have to lose much hair with FFs whereas bangs tend to take away a lot of mass from the sides.

StarryNight
June 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Why not try braiding the crown like a headband? Or pin curls? Or victory curls? Or a side part and pined up? So many things you can do with bobby pins!

I wanted to show you what i meant by the side part and pins. Please ignore my face. lol. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5587&pictureid=75661)

Sunny_side_up
June 30th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Side-swept bangs can be nice, plus they won't mess with the rest of your hair. They're what I've got. The only issue is that if you ever want to get rid of them, there's going to be a very long, very annoying in-between stage while you grow them out.

I agree, there's the flicky, messy untamed bangs look on bad days :p when you wish they'd hurry up and just catch up with the rest of your hair!

Sunny_side_up
June 30th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I was where you are in January this year, grew out all the old razoring, left with neat healthy hair.... What did i do? Go and get lots of layers and side swept bangs.
I liked the compliments and the cut for maybe two weeks, then soon after was thinking i'm gonna grow out my hair! I want it even!!:rolleyes:
It's up to you what you'd like to do at the end of the day. Some people go for a colour change, maybe try wearing different styles or accessories. Or like others mention braiding and waves. I must say i enjoy eveness when it comes to wavy length, the soft rollers just dont work that well on my layers and theres the short flicky hairs i get, only realised this after, i found layers and a growing out bangs quite annoying for a good few months, hair always up and headband are my friends until a decent length where i'll maintain with regular trims, mmm fresh ends. Don't really get that satisfaction with layers!! :D

anniemae
June 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't cut the length at all - especially since you worked so hard to grow it out.

I would just start with some face-framing layers. And then see how you like that before attempting to get bangs.

Henrietta
June 30th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'd support the first option. Try side swept bangd as a fist step. If you won't feel satisfied, you will be able to add a face framing layer then (2).

ifyouforget
June 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I vote first to wait a couple weeks while learning a bunch of new updos. Then, if you're still going nuts, Sideswept bangs are a great option. I know that personally my updos look about 100% better with them, and if you get them long (cheekbone-ish length) they're easy to pin back when you want a sleeker look.

But definitely learn some more hairstyling options first- especially updos (especially especially updos that give a bit of volume on top- that can help provide some more visual interest in front without resorting to scissors!)

maskedrose
June 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I'm with the face framing layer crowd. I got side swept bangs over Christmas because I wanted a change, but only liked them for a couple of days. Now that they are grown to chin length they're turning into face framing layers, which I really like. Even though my hair is approaching hip, I'm keeping some graduating layers in the front - I just can't stand not having something going on around my face.

Lianna
June 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Why not try braiding the crown like a headband? Or pin curls? Or victory curls? Or a side part and pined up? So many things you can do with bobby pins!

I wanted to show you what i meant by the side part and pins. Please ignore my face. lol. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5587&pictureid=75661)

I agree with her, and think you look stunning like you are now. I think you should try more half ups, specially if you need to style bangs often.

jmallen62691
July 1st, 2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks everybody! I'm going to call my stylist today. I think I'm going to go with just the face framing layer as some of you suggested. I do like to wear my hair down a lot, so I want it to look nice that way. I'm also going to attempt to learn some new updos. I'm a bobby pin failure, but it's so hot this summer, I'll have to figure it out. :]