PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to wear my shoulder hair up

Brenda714
June 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
for a long period of time till it gets some length to it? Is there others who are doing this? I'm planning at least 4 months. But the trouble is I feel like a dork like people are going to think and say "why do you always wear your hair up? I just can't stand the way it looks down right now! Please I need support.

Kelli Kat
June 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I don't see why you couldn't wear it up if you want, doesn't matter what others think.

brista
June 29th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Do it if you want to - especially if it will keep you from cutting when you don't really want to cut. I wear my hair up a lot right now but that's mostly because it's been really hot lately. I started a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50638)the other day to get some ideas on how to put shoulder-length hair up if you are interested.

Themyst
June 29th, 2010, 11:26 PM
Plenty of members do it here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102

ArienEllariel
June 30th, 2010, 12:36 AM
I totally read the title of this thread as literal "shoulder hair". lol

Of course it's ok to wear it up. Do what makes you happy. :)

Loreley
June 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM
It's okay. Wearing hair up can protect your ends and prevent demage. :)

Kathie
June 30th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I'm in the same boat, I'm wearing my hair up every day and have been for the last couple of months... it’s not so bad. I don’t think anyone thinks it’s strange! Go for it!

Linainverse
June 30th, 2010, 02:57 AM
When my hair was shoulder length I had to wear it up for work - bobby pins were my best friends for the next 6 months.

jasper
June 30th, 2010, 04:46 AM
That was my situation: I thought it looked bad and needed to deal with it some way that didn't involve a cut. I remember feeling self conscious about starting to wear my up every day. I made that change at the same time as a job change and I don't know if I would have done it otherwise. Some of my hesitation was from not knowing how to do it, but youtube helped me with that. Part of the hesitation was because it looked strange to me and I assumed other people would think so too. I got the confidence to do it because I figured people at my new job weren't that used to seeing my hair a different way.

After not really looking at my hair down for about 9 months I was startled to see the new length. :) And after about a year more of wearing it up, I'm so used to it up that I easily get annoyed with the feeling of it down.
Good luck to you!

Amelia
June 30th, 2010, 04:55 AM
It's okay. Wearing hair up can protect your ends and prevent demage. :)

I agree. A year ago i was in your shoes, and the thickness of my hair already made me want to have it up. I'm glad I did!
a)The heat was better tolerated
b)saved my end
c) 99% split ends free

Pumpkin
June 30th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Yes, it is perfectly ok to wear your hair up at shoulder length. I did last year (and still do!) when I was at your length. No one around me thought anything about it. It was cooler for me, and I was protecting my hair. Wear it up, you'll look great!! Happy growing!! :)

embee
June 30th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Sure, why not? Just say "summer updo" and let it go. My hair looked so straggly at that length and big claw clips were not yet in the stores, so I had to make do with a low pony and hope for the best.

spidermom
June 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
I used to wear a french twist a lot when my hair was around shoulder-length or a little longer. It never occurred to me that some people might think it was weird. I never got any comments about it.

loralie
June 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
For sure you can! Put it up, forget about it, and pretty soon it'll be much longer!

If you're wearing it up anyways, you can always spritz it with some conditioner, or use oil, so that it doubles as a conditioning updo! :)

triumphator!
June 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Do what you want! And blame it on the heat if you're in a hot area. I will be wearing my hair up as much as possible, partly to save on styling products and time, but mostly because I'm lazy and it's hot!

SpinDance
June 30th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I wear my hair up at least part of every day. Most days I'll wear it up most of the time, only taking it down to 'freshen' it, let it move around, finger comb it, then back up it goes. I work mainly with men, but no one has actually commented on the fact that I may have my hair up or down randomly throughout the day!

Wearing hair up is a fun way to show your sticks, forks, Flexi's, etc, too. There are so many updo's, too some better for shorter hair, others better for longer.

It's your hair, do with it what you will! :)

Chamomile betty
June 30th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Sure, go and wear your hair up. That's how I grew out from shoulder length to BS. I never wear my hair down at work. Do not worry what others think.
Just change up the style so your hair is not stressed in the same place.

Deborah
June 30th, 2010, 12:58 PM
What are you talking about? OF COURSE you can wear it up! Updos are one of the blessings of long hair. They can be beautiful, elegant, fun, etc., and especially in the summer, they are COOL and comfortable. Go for it!

Oskimosa
June 30th, 2010, 01:06 PM
I totally read the title of this thread as literal "shoulder hair". lol

Of course it's ok to wear it up. Do what makes you happy. :)

Yes, I did the same. I wanted to make a snarky comment but got distracted... :p

breezefaerie
June 30th, 2010, 01:21 PM
That's what I do. I wear it up as often as I like.

pineconejg
June 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Of course you can! And enjoy it, too!

Jessica Trapp
June 30th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Go for it! Lots of cute updos for shoulder length hair... braids, messy buns, french twist. Enjoy your length exactly where you are.

:flower: jes

klcqtee
June 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
From collar bone length to almost BSL I wore my hair up constantly because I hated it, and I found that to be the most awkward length. No one ever said anything, until one day I wore it down and they said, "Your hair is so long! Why do you always wear it in a bun and hide it?"

Made my day!

Capybara
June 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Even if people do think it's strange ... those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind ;)

Go for it! Protective styling is a great idea.

Calista
June 30th, 2010, 02:04 PM
My first thought was "if I had shoulder hair, I might shave it, but certainly not wear it up". :scared: :lol:

Pixna
June 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM
My first thought was "if I had shoulder hair, I might shave it, but certainly not wear it up". :scared: :lol:

LOL!!!

I started putting my hair up as soon as I was able, and I've put it up every day since then. I have grown to love it, and I really don't care what anyone else thinks. Plus, it's a great way to not fret over it not being as long as I would like. It's amazing how hair magically gets longer when you aren't paying attention to it! :gabigrin: