PDA

View Full Version : My scalp is a MESS!

kwaniesiam
June 29th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I don't know what else to do. I have pimples, flakes, gunk, and itchies all over my scalp since the weather has gotten warmer and I've been sweating more. I wash every other day, sometimes daily with The Morocco Method. I also use shikakai, alma, brahmi, cassia, and chamomile tea mixed in to a paste and left on for 30 minutes once a week. Sometimes I do a heavy scalp oiling with shea butter, coconut oil, or the Morocco Method Euro Organic oil. I still have horrible break outs, itchies, and gunk. If I scratch my scalp, there will be a build up of gunk under my nail. I do gently brush my head with a soft bristle brush occasionally. Nothing works, I can't stand it anymore. Any advice?

Please note my hair is about 1" long all over, I shaved my head last month to start fresh. I do wear a wig 3-4 days a week for a few hours at a time while I'm at hair school working with clients but at home, on the weekends, and on class days I leave it off to give my scalp a chance to breathe.

RavennaNight
June 29th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Maybe you are using too many things on your head. Just wash with Morocco method. Or use the herbs for washing. Don't oil, I know the OCM thing is tempting, but it may be clogging your pores. Your hair is really short so it doesn't need so much stuff. Are you also using MN, because I recall you were. I think your scalp is saying it's too much.

GlassEyes
June 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Might be a fungal infection from wig-heat?

I'd see a doctor.

jane53
June 29th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I agree with RavennaNight. Lots of products, especially oils, even clog the pores on my scalp, and I usually don't have scalp problems.

christine1989
June 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Perhaps it would help to lay off the oil for a while and buy a good clarifying shampoo.

GoddesJourney
June 29th, 2010, 08:12 PM
You may find it useful to scritch all the "gunk" off and then just stick to gentle things. One or two uses of and anti-dandruff shampoo might do you well to help get it under control. It's a minimal risk considering your hair length. I agree that you're probably doing way too much... even if your hair was really long.

Anje
June 29th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Any chance the pimples are ingrowns from the head-shaving?

You might want to avoid oils that tend to be comedogenic, in case that's upsetting things worse than usual, and try some of the general scalp-helpers like vinegar rinses. If that doesn't clear it up, definitely have someone look at it. It seems possible that you could have something like eczema or SD up there, which would give a flakey, pimpley, itchy feeling.

cindy58
June 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
If there is any one, just one, kind of shampoo that you ever liked, I would wash with that diluted, and nothing else. Do a nice gentle scrub with your finger tips, no nails, when you feel like you need it. That method keeps my trouble spots (eczema above my ears) at bay.

It sounds to me like you're doing way too much. Hope your scalp improves soon!

missfortune9335
June 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
coconut oil, and oils in general can clog pores and might be causing your pimples. I find I have to be very careful with coconut & morrocan oil b/c it makes me break out along my hair line

NiAosSi
June 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM
ACV rinses work wonders for my scalp problems. Lay off the products. Clarify once, light condition since you don't have much hair yet. I massage my scalp with the ACV rinse for like 5 minutes, then rinse quickly with cool water to cool my scalp. Wait until your hair is a little longer to oil. The oil is having wayyyy too much contact with the scalp.

Darkhorse1
June 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I was thinking it's ingrown hairs from shaving. Do an exfoliation followed by moisturizing if you can--if you aren't bald anymore, try using head and shoulders--the zinc in the shampoo should help heal your scalp. I've been using head and shoulders for my washes as we've had hot/humid weather and my scalp is VERY happy, which is a first for me this time of year. Before, I'd be scratching my scalp so badly, it'd bleed.

I'd perhaps also ditch the wig in favor of scarves that are made of cotton so your head can breath. Remember, dandruff is a fungus--fungus loves dark, moist areas.

Good luck!

spidermom
June 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
I agree with most. If there's a shampoo you can use, especially a medicated one - use it. Dilute it if it's too strong. Keep oil and conditioner away from your scalp. Don't put herb packs on it. Let your scalp breathe as much/often as possible.

saskia_madding
June 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
This story sounds very familiar - I went through something similar and a LOT of my hair fell out while I was trying to figure out the answer.

For me, the answer was borax. I wash with a tiny amount of borax diluted in a lot of water (there is a borax thread in the mane forum that details this process) and add two drops of peppermint EO. My friend adds a *tiny* amount of peroxide to hers, but I've never done that.

Anyway, that saved my hair and my scalp. For any second day itchies, I just discovered Eqyss Micro Tek spray. I dilute half and half with distilled water and use a dropper to draw lines on my scalp where my head is starting to itch a little. Then I'm good for another day.

x0h_bother
June 30th, 2010, 11:26 AM
For someone with your hair length, I would think oiling would not be the best thing right now, especially since you are wearing wigs a lot. I agree with others' suggestions to cut back on what you are using, to use a good shampoo to clarify. Your scalp should clear up at least the pimple-like things. Alma is supposed to be good for your scalp, but anything heavy or greasy I would hold off on. Your scalp should do a good job on its own keeping the hair on your head nice and healthy with the sebum.

triumphator!
June 30th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Maybe you should try WO until the hot weather breaks?

klcqtee
June 30th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Maybe try a sugar scalp rub? I just use regular granulated sugar and massage my scalp with it while I'm in the shower. doing it while my hair is wet makes the sugar desolve before it rubs my head raw. Cleared up my itchy, gunky, flaky, greasy, icky scalp.

teela1978
June 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I only get scalp pimples if I use gentler washing methods. How does your scalp react to SLS or ALS? Antibacterial, antifungal, and it'll clear out those pores. If you're not sensitive to sulfates I'd grab a bottle of suave or something and give it a good wash. No conditioner.

Calista
June 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Maybe you should try WO until the hot weather breaks?
I second this - especially with hair as short as yours. No oils, no product, no nothing. Just water. As often as you need it to feel good.

Igor
June 30th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Definitely seconding the product overload. Also seconding that coconut oil could be a culprit. I know a lot of people have problems with clogged pores when it gets in contact with skin

Jessica Trapp
June 30th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Sounds a bit like product overload to me too. Might want to see a dermatologist if it doesn't clear up. Sorry you are having an issue.

:grouphug:

Juanita
June 30th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Way too much product as everyone says.
You don't need oil til your hair is at least past your earlobes in length. Your natural sebum will do the job nicely.
Try not to shampoo every day. W.O. would be much better and try to spread the washing with shampoo to maybe twice a week. Anti dandruff anti fungal shampoo. no conditioner.
Also try and ditch the wigs for funky bandeau type scarves, wraps headscarves etc. Your head needs to breathe.
Hope this is helpful. I live in a tropical climate where it is very hot and humid. for a lot of the year then very dry and cooler for the other part. I only use shampoo conditioner less than once a week. Just water to rinse off sweat the rest of the week. Don't have smelly hair I promise.

kwaniesiam
June 30th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Unfortunately I have to wear the wig when I'm on the floor with clients, as a part of the dress code we can't wear scarves, hats, or bandannas. I'm going to go WO for a few days and see if it helps a little. I'm sensitive to a lot of shampoos, especially ones with SLS so those are probably out.

Igor
June 30th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Unfortunately I have to wear the wig when I'm on the floor with clients, as a part of the dress code we can't wear scarves, hats, or bandannas. I'm going to go WO for a few days and see if it helps a little. I'm sensitive to a lot of shampoos, especially ones with SLS so those are probably out.

Just wanted to suggest a sugar-scrub :wink: I don’t see that mentioned anywhere. If you’re at one inch or so, it should be possible to “reach” the scalp

countryhopper
July 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM
Isn't rosemary good for an antifungal? I think I remember reading that somewhere... maybe do a sugar scrub and then follow up with rosemary tea infusions or tea tree oil infusions?

I'm just throwing ideas out there; I haven't actually tried any of these methods. Maybe your best bet would be to stop using EVERYTHING and then add one thing at a time, allowing one month to go by before starting something new.