PDA

View Full Version : Healthy hair=hair getting straighter?!

xoxophelia
June 29th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Has anybody else with wavy or curly hair noticed that as they grew out their damage the new growth came in straighter?

I'm not really sure what it is, but before I had been heat styling my hair since middle school. After I stopped doing that and coloring with semi permanent hair color (which did damage my hair from doing it often) it seems like my hair texture has changed. It is less "stubborn" and more floppy on the top. I also had these devil horns.. curls around my hairline that more or less lay flat now.

A number of people here have said their hair pattern becomes more defined as they cut out damaging things, but I seem to be doing the opposite of that?

teela1978
June 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Yes.
My dyed hair looked like this:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/hair4-30-06.jpg
My virgin hair looked like this a few months after most of the dyed bits were chopped off:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/20080203airdriedmostlynotouch.jpg

It kinda makes sense... damaged hair gets frizzy. Perhaps from becoming curlier due to damage? I dunno. My virgin hair is closer to 1c, maybe 2a where my dyed hair was 2b, maybe 2c.

xoxophelia
June 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM
WOW.. that is a massive difference. It is so hard for me to know what it will do as I started heat styling my hair at a pretty early age. I never really wore it down ever without heat styling it.

I really wonder how damaged hair would make it curlier. I actually would like it if this tips the scale making me a solid 1c as it is just easier for me to manage.

tofuowl
June 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It's a bit hard to say, since my hair has just generally gotten straighter as it's gotten longer and as I've gotten older--all of these conditions just sort of line up. My hair was at least 3A curl wise when I was a kid, and now it's somewhere around a 2B. I imagine the length adds weight, and the weight pulls the curl out. If I sleep with it wet, I wake up with some impressive curls--but they're all stretched out into waves within an hour :P

I actually think that my waves have become more defined as my hair's condition has improved. Before I started taking care of it properly, it was very dry and frizzy; any curl or frizz was nearly impossible to distinguish from the rest of the mass. I don't think my hair has gotten more or less curly as a result of growing out damage, but I do think new methods influence how curls form and how well they stay.

jera
June 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
My hair has gotten wavier. No more heat styling styling has brought out the natural waviness. The roots seem straight enough but the length is wavy. I like it personally. :)

BattahZ
June 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Wow, I had the opposite happen! The healthier my hair is the curlier it gets. Damage always seems to loosen up my curl - when I go through periods of not coloring my hair and focus on keeping it moisturized, the curl tightens up. Interesting.

teela1978
June 29th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Wow, I had the opposite happen! The healthier my hair is the curlier it gets. Damage always seems to loosen up my curl - when I go through periods of not coloring my hair and focus on keeping it moisturized, the curl tightens up. Interesting.
Is it the dyed/previously damaged hair that's being taken better care of and curling up more, or is it new virgin growth that's curling up more? The previous is what I observed with my hair. Hair that was already damaged from heat styling and hair dye curled beautifully once I started taking good care of it. My undyed/rarely heat-styled hair has much less wave though.

BattahZ
June 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
It's everything, but the virgin hair is definitely curlier. My damaged hair feels a bit weaker, for lack of a better word, and is easier to manipulate. The virgin hair does it's own thing in a very determined manner, haha.

BattahZ
June 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I should add though, curly or straight, your hair is really pretty!

Dragon
June 29th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Yes.
My dyed hair looked like this:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/hair4-30-06.jpg
My virgin hair looked like this a few months after most of the dyed bits were chopped off:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/lchamber78/20080203airdriedmostlynotouch.jpg

It kinda makes sense... damaged hair gets frizzy. Perhaps from becoming curlier due to damage? I dunno. My virgin hair is closer to 1c, maybe 2a where my dyed hair was 2b, maybe 2c.

Wow, thats a masive difference. I think mine has growen back the same.

Sissy
June 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I have definitely noticed my hair drying straighter since joining this site and taking better care of it. I used to flat iron and blow dry daily. I also shampooed way too frequently and was really rough with my hair in how I brushed it with cheap hairbrushes (didn't even own a wide toothed comb). After I first joined and started letting my hair air dry it looked a mess, like these photos...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2161&pictureid=27972

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2161&pictureid=26007

After a while of taking proper care of it it now air drys more like these pictures...
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2161&pictureid=54666

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2161&pictureid=64579

I am quite happy about this as the more straight and less frizzy my hair is, the easier it is to care for. I think what was going on initially with my hair is it was so damaged and frizzed and dry from all the products and harsh treatment and styling methods. Now it's healthier and more moist so it can behave a little better :p

melikai
June 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Is it the dyed/previously damaged hair that's being taken better care of and curling up more, or is it new virgin growth that's curling up more? The previous is what I observed with my hair. Hair that was already damaged from heat styling and hair dye curled beautifully once I started taking good care of it. My undyed/rarely heat-styled hair has much less wave though.

This is interesting! My hair has become much more wavy since I've started taking care of it, and I've been gradually cutting off the damage. However, now it seems like it's going back to being a bit straighter, and I'm wondering if that's because of the damaged parts being almost gone. Neat!

xoxophelia
June 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM

This is EXACTLY what my hair has been doing. The previously colored and heat styled section became wavier after I stopped all the abuse. And then the totally virgin roots (about 8" now) are much more straight than I have seen my hair since I can remember. Oh and my hair has been longer than this before so it isn't just weight.

xoxophelia
June 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM
It's everything, but the virgin hair is definitely curlier. My damaged hair feels a bit weaker, for lack of a better word, and is easier to manipulate. The virgin hair does it's own thing in a very determined manner, haha.

Again interesting as my damaged hair is more stubborn and much harder to manipulate. My virgin hair is borderline limp.

xoxophelia
June 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
I have definitely noticed my hair drying straighter since joining this site and taking better care of it. I used to flat iron and blow dry daily. I also shampooed way too frequently and was really rough with my hair in how I brushed it with cheap hairbrushes (didn't even own a wide toothed comb). After I first joined and started letting my hair air dry it looked a mess, like these photos...
I am quite happy about this as the more straight and less frizzy my hair is, the easier it is to care for. I think what was going on initially with my hair is it was so damaged and frizzed and dry from all the products and harsh treatment and styling methods. Now it's healthier and more moist so it can behave a little better :p

Sorry I am not so good at responding to everything in one post!

I can definitely see a difference in your texture as well. It makes me wonder what the difference is between those of us who become more wavy versus those who become less. My logic for hoping it really it becoming straighter and will continue on this path as it grows out is that it is easier to wash and go. And I'm lazy. XD

redneckprincess
June 29th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Quite the oppisite for me actually, mine is coming in curlier

virgo75
June 29th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I don't know why, but when I was CO washing consistantly(and doing lots of SMTs) my hair was MUCH straighter - which is the opposite of what I expected.

I found out about CO washing on the naturally curly boards and read how so many on there had increased curls and curl definition from using only conditioner.

But when I did it, my hair went from 3b/3a to more like 2b or something. I had waves but hardly any curl. No corkscrews at all and the ends would just bend a little instead of curl up. Strange. :shrug:

I have to say though that I love seeing the differences in everyone's hair when it's healthier. So much pretty hair on here. :)

Hotrox
June 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM
All hair is so different - I love it

When I CO wash my hair it's much straighter, but when I use a clarifying shampoo and a light conditioner its much more Boingy.

My hair easily gets bogged down with product/generally greasiness.

Also, all curl patterns need different lengths to maximise the curl. Mine curl pattern is quite big so at the moment it is actually getting curlier with the increasing length :eek:

But whatever the curliness, your hair will look better because it is heathier

Bianca
June 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Yup. (Sorry they are so big) :rolleyes:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2008&pictureid=50413

Old pic, but you can see how the curls begin right at the line between my natural and dyed hair.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2008&pictureid=69502

New, still damp, no styling, lots of frizz at the ends, straight at the roots :D

Pandora.
June 30th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I haven't heat styled for somewhere between 3-4 weeks now (although my hairdresser blow-dried my hair yesterday WITHOUT protection spray!! Argh!!) and I've noticed that if I leave it to air-dry naturally it will go much wavier, but if I blow-dry my hair straight with a fan it will go straight within a matter of minutes. Overall, I think my hair is just so much easier to manage.

littleflowerr
June 30th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Mine is getting straighter as new hair come in as well! ever since i stopped with the dyeing and heat my hair has been a lot smoother and not as frizzy or curly as it use to be!

Sissy
June 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Sorry I am not so good at responding to everything in one post!

I can definitely see a difference in your texture as well. It makes me wonder what the difference is between those of us who become more wavy versus those who become less. My logic for hoping it really it becoming straighter and will continue on this path as it grows out is that it is easier to wash and go. And I'm lazy. XD

Thanks, I also see a difference in my texture and I think it looks MUCH healthier. Now, if I could just get it to grow faster!:p I also agree with you that straighter hair is easier to just wash and go... I've never been one for styling hair and I don't have the patience for it.

Laurenji
June 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Pandora! Did you finally get your mum to take you to the hairdresser, or did you go yourself?

/hijack

mellie89
June 30th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Oh yes. My damaged hair curled (like spiral curls, no joke). I met my boyfriend's family during that period and they got confused as my hair gradually got straighter and straighter. They thought I was straightening my "curly hair"! My hair is actually almost pin straight, as you can see in my siggy pic. The parts that wave are remnants of old damage.

xoxophelia
June 30th, 2010, 10:38 AM
So it does seem like multiple people have had this happen to them. I was starting to wonder if I was styling my hair wrong because I do brush it when wet, but before this.. I would have had some wave regardless. After I had been coloring my hair AND stopped heat styling for a few months, my hair got much curlier.

And, in my family many people when they hit their 20's become curly. So now I'm all thrown off again with what to expect when my hair is TB and virgin :D

x0h_bother
June 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Yep. They say for 2as or less to rough up the hair for a little more curl. So, not 'roughing' it up allows for a healthier texture. :)

xoxophelia
June 30th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Yep. They say for 2as or less to rough up the hair for a little more curl. So, not 'roughing' it up allows for a healthier texture. :)

Interesting. Perhaps I should continue to take hair typing photos as my damage grows out so I can see just how much straighter it is getting on its own.

maskedrose
July 1st, 2010, 02:00 AM
I had the same experience as teela1978. When I first joined my hair was highlighted and I had 2c/3a curls consistently. Now, The length is entirely virgin and while i still occasionally get a random 2c wurl, I'm now consistently in the 1c/2a range. Honestly, its a little depressing! I loved my wurlies, but I'll settle for healthy waves :)

Elenna
July 1st, 2010, 02:30 AM
I did the chemical hair dye, mistreated my hair with harsh shampoos, and blow drying. I was always trying to straighten my hair with the blow dryer. But in spite of this, my hair would separate into proofy, frizzy, ringlets. My hair would never lay flat and smooth.

As I grow out the hair dye, use much gentler products, and methods, my hair is behaving better and is not so wavy.

Back then, in poor condition my hair felt lighter, in better condition my hair feels heavier.

Bller
July 1st, 2010, 04:19 AM
I had the same experience as teela1978. When I first joined my hair was highlighted and I had 2c/3a curls consistently. Now, The length is entirely virgin and while i still occasionally get a random 2c wurl, I'm now consistently in the 1c/2a range. Honestly, its a little depressing! I loved my wurlies, but I'll settle for healthy waves :)

I had some curls on my ends for quite some time now, and they tend to damage the most, all the healthy hair, is just flat down, with a slight wavy texture, then the other damaged end is all curled up and tangled. I would get them cut, but then i think the upper healthier part of my hair, would just follow that curl pattern again, and i`ll go nowhere.

RavennaNight
July 1st, 2010, 06:31 AM
Since taking care of it better, I agree my hair is straighter too. When I would chemical dye and use an iron, my hair would be almost curly if I took a day off and air dried. At one point I thought I might be a 2C. That was what my hair was doing when I first stoppe all the damaging behavior. It got almost curly, wild looking, even unruly. It was difficult to control, too! The summer it would become a big fluffy bush.

After about a year without heat and chemical dye, my hair began to straighten out. I also use henna & indigo to get black hair. Nowadays, my hair averages between a 1B-1C. Rarely, if it is rainy and gets wet it will get to a 2A, but that's it. I don't particularly mind because it is really low maintenance aside from the monthly hennindigo.

I think my hair used to curl up and frizz up because it was damaged and crying out for moisture. I think the hair cuticles were badly damaged. Also to add, 10 years ago, I was a bottle bleached blonde. I used to do it myself. The damage made me into a curly if I didn't blow it out or iron it. I have old pics of my bleach blonde hair and it actually spiralled. Unruly and dry looking? Sure. But dd I think my hair was naturally curly? Very much so.

It is so strange how this is being proven to be untrue the less I do to it an the more I moisturize it. Even two years ago, when I first started here, I thought I was on the "embrace your wurly hair" track. But, alas, it is quite straight. :shrug:

Thinthondiel
July 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
My hair is straighter than it used to be too, and it doesn't hold curls (for example when I do pin curls) as well as it used to either. And it's not because of added weight - I cut my hair back to maybe... APL (not sure, I haven't really checked - yes, I'm a bad LHC'er) not too long ago.

xoxophelia
July 1st, 2010, 11:12 AM
Elenna- The weight difference is something I can feel as well. The upper part of my hair feels much heavier than the length which seems to feel more fluffy.

The whole thing is kind of ironic though because it seems like I would get unrully, puffy hair and then HAVE to blow dry for it too look good. But now it seems like the blow dryer was partly causing my hair to be more wavy in the first place. I'm sure the straightener was even worse.

I don't really want my hair to become stick straight but I would love for the length to grow out as heavy, floppy, silky, and with a loose body wave like my roots.

lesbia
July 1st, 2010, 01:37 PM
I've straight hair, so I don't have any experience. But I think that healthy hair have got healthy and so heavy ends, so they weight and tend to be straight.. :)

Iron0Maiden
July 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
YES!! When my hair was soooo badly damaged, it would turn out wavy (in the bad way) when it would air dry. Now that it is healthier, it turns out almost perfectly straight! I wonder why...?

NorthernDancer
July 1st, 2010, 04:57 PM
My hair used to have a few, but very defined waves as a teen, but now it is straight as a board. Which is really weird since all my family has curly/wavy hair. I don't quite know where my 1a/b hair came from! Good thing I like it....

mali
November 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Damaged hair tends to curl.

BrightEyes7
November 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM
My hair has straightened a lot since coming here.

I stopped heat styling but was still chemically coloring my hair and it was less wavy but I kind of associated it with the added length. Now I've been maintaining at waist and it has gotten a lot straighter and less frizzy since I haven't been coloring. But the entire length has been straightening out, not just the virgin roots. The better I take care of my hair the straighter it gets, which is what I always wanted!! :)

share801
November 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Just the opposite for me. My color damaged ends are stick straight and above I have my waves. I'm gradually removing the ends after the biggest chop I could bear (BSL).

Kome
November 4th, 2010, 02:09 PM
YES! When my hair is softer and more maneageble I've also noticed that it's a lot straighter. Now I know it's not just me. :P

xoxophelia
April 16th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Just an update for everybody. I recently trimmed my ends and then yesterday let my hair air dry without brushing. I can very clearly tell that above the point where it was heat styled/colored it is maybe 1c tops and below it is around 2b for the majority of it. I'm curious how it will look when it totally grows out. I definitely have some natural wave but damage seems to have made a big difference.

jojo
April 16th, 2011, 01:12 PM
My hair gets wavier the longer it gets but damaged hair is drier and more likely to wave or curl. So in people with naturally straighter hair once the damage is gone, the straightness will come back.

for eg people with naturally curly hair, get more frizz when hair is damaged but once its gone the curl is more defined than frizz; does that make sense?

NotInPortland
April 16th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I haven't been on the boards for long but I did give up heat on my hair except for the very rare occasion about 2 years ago and the hair that has grown since that time is definitely straighter like you said! I definitely seem to have a natural soft wave pattern but towards my ends where there is the most damage from old heat styling and just general mechanical damage it becomes much wavier and I often got spiral curls there! I just got my hair cut today from waist back to just over bsl because my ends were looking awful and really needed to go and my hair is looking much straighter now with that damage gone even though there is less hair weighing it all down. Maybe damaging the hair changes the natural pattern somehow-straight or wavy gets curlier or frizzier and natural curls lose their definition and become straighter or something.

This thread reminds me actually that I should probably change my hair type, I currently have it as 2b/2c but I don't think it really is...hmm :)

ArienEllariel
April 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Yes, I'm noticing this myself. I don't think I can classify my hair as 1c/2a anymore. It's more like 1c or will be once I trim away the rest of my damaged ends.

growingpains
April 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Lucky! I find my healthier hair is less frizzy and poofy, but not necessarily straighter. But I dunno when my hair was very unhealthy I straightened it every day so have no valid comparison.

tigereye
April 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM
My hair gets straighter the longer it gets. The better I treat it the longer it gets, so possibly treating it better=straighter hair. I used to treat my hair pretty horribly and it grew out really slowly, and it was wavy, and frizzy. Now it is healthy, waist length and pretty much straight to the point that the only way I can get it to hold any curve or wave is to have it in braids for about 12 hours with mousse, which doesn't happen very often, because I hate mousse.
I thought it was the weight. It probably still is, but who knows

lapushka
April 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Healthier hair means smoother, slicker, less frizzy hair in my case, and if it gets frizzy, slightly wispy, then it's a lot easier to smooth down with product. My damaged ends are a lot drier, therefore more poofy and more frizzy and they don't respond to product as well.

delsh
April 16th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I've noticed something similar - I wonder if it's something to do with borderline wavy hair, because I'm at that 1c/2a border myself. When I used to blow dry every day my hair was very frizzy if I let it air dry, so of course I never did! Now that I've sworn off the blow dryer since growing out a pixie, my hair has been smoother and straighter, but still with a bit of wave. It's so funny that the styling products we use to deal with unruly hair can actually make you need them more and more!

ladylovecraft
April 16th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Personally I found that when my hair was fried beyond belief (gummy when wet, brittle, destroyed hair) it had a lot of waves to it. Now that I've stopped bleaching every other month my hair has straightened out a bit :D

rena
April 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
This is interesting and has me thinking about what my virgin texture will be like. I notice that the roots are quite soft and darker, but they are so short, I don't know what to make of them texture-wise. I am growing out hair that was relaxed using a child's relaxer, and might I say it *burned*. Some places on my head were actually bloody after the experience, so you can imagine what it did to my already fragile hair (think of why I was getting that done in the first place). I cringe to know what the grown-up kind is like! After that relaxing (which didn't even take), I would begin regular flat ironing for a few months until my first major chop. Now, the lower, damaged parts shrink into very tight waves, but my new hair makes me wonder what it will look like with the way it feels. Personally, I would prefer to have hair with big, loose waves :). I'll just have to wait and see I guess.

rena
April 16th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I don't really want my hair to become stick straight but I would love for the length to grow out as heavy, floppy, silky, and with a loose body wave like my roots.

Yes, this is pretty much what I would like too.

Java
April 17th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Very interesting! My hair was chemically colored till about 1/4 inch ago. Bleached, dyed many times over so I am sure there was considerable damage. I wonder if the 2c will stick?

Mesmerise
April 17th, 2011, 05:48 AM
This is quite interesting! It's been a loooong time that I've had no dye damage or chemical processing so I'm not sure what my hair will do when the damage is out!

However, I am using henna and some people have reported that henna makes their hair straighter, so even when I've got rid of the chemical dye, there's no guarantee that I'll have my "true" texture then either!

FluffSpider
April 17th, 2011, 01:43 PM
A colleague of mine had some pretty neat spiral curls, with the inherent frizz of poo-ing curlies. I have NO idea what she did, but now all her frizz is gone. instead, she has S-waves. Deep S-waves, granted, but no spirals. I think the frizz actually makes the wave look 3d as opposed to 2d. Also, my boyfriend has a spiral curl at the very end of his ponytail. the rest of his hair is... 1b-ish:D He's at BL and hasn't had a trim in way too long, never really uses condish, so that 'curl' is pretty damaged:p

IcarusBride
April 17th, 2011, 05:50 PM
For me, it's been the opposite (I think). My entire pre-LHC life my hair was BSL and absolutely strait. Now my hair is a bit past waist and if left to airdry without any oil or combing after a shower, it has some spiral curls on the last few inches!
I'm just not sure if this is because my hair is healthier than it's ever been, or if it's because my hair is longer than it's ever been.

NotInPortland
April 17th, 2011, 06:01 PM
A colleague of mine had some pretty neat spiral curls, with the inherent frizz of poo-ing curlies. I have NO idea what she did, but now all her frizz is gone. instead, she has S-waves. Deep S-waves, granted, but no spirals. I think the frizz actually makes the wave look 3d as opposed to 2d. Also, my boyfriend has a spiral curl at the very end of his ponytail. the rest of his hair is... 1b-ish:D He's at BL and hasn't had a trim in way too long, never really uses condish, so that 'curl' is pretty damaged:p

Before I cut my hair yesterday after about a year and a half of no trimming when I had my hair in a ponytail it did that too with the spiral curl at the end... :) I loved how it did that, even though it was probably because it was so damaged :p

silkheart
April 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Growing up my hair was stick straight, but then after dyeing it many times it began to get wavy. I'm not sure if it's just the hormone changes or what that made it that way. But now that I've been growing out my hair, the virgin hair is coming out a lot straighter than my hair towards the bottom.