PDA

View Full Version : SMT as a pre-wash

LaurelSpring
June 29th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I have had mixed feelings about SMTs. I generally like the way they make my hair feel as far as it feeling healthier, but they tend to be too heavy for my hair and weigh it down a good bit so that it looks greasy really quickly. I quit using them for the most part.

The other night I had a tiny bit of coconut oil left in a jar and didnt want to waste it so I scraped the rest with my finger and did a good coating on my hair for the night. The next day I was just hanging around the house and remember reading that alot of people use SMTs as a CO and how well the CO got oil out so I decided to try that and did an SMT and left it on for an hour or more.

When I rinsed it out my hair dried greasy looking as always and I had to go somewhere later so I just shampooed it. The result was that my hair felt really awesome and really strong and healthy. I am going to experiment with doing this again because I really like how it turned out! So, I think for me SMTs will now be a once a week pre-wash. Just wanted to share my discovery!

UP Lisa
June 29th, 2010, 09:54 AM
When you have SMT'd in the past, did you try a light-weight conditioner?

LaurelSpring
June 29th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I use VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, no cones. I would be open to trying it again with other suggestions though.

UP Lisa
June 29th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Actually, I've always used Biolage Conditioning Balm, which is heavy. Funny I have not had a problem with greasiness on my baby-fine hair.

Katze
June 29th, 2010, 11:16 AM
I gather from your post that you normally do not shampoo after an SMT? That could be your problem.

Like you I am a finehair, and I *need* shampooing. I can get away with every other wash as a WO wash, but must do sulfates every 4th wash or so.

For SMTs, I usually CWC with the SMT but leave it on for an hour before washing (longer does not make any difference) then use a little SMT or another natural conditioner as the final C, but only on the length. I almost never condition my crown hair, except for SMTs, because the honey is so good for my scalp it outweighs the greasies I often get from conditioner.

Oh, and I do sometimes do 'coney SMTs too (Dove).

papillion
June 29th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I always use SMT as a pre-wash, using it after washing never works nearly as well. I also do the same as you and use it to help lift the oil after I've done a particularly heavy oiling.

Madame J
June 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Do you put any oil in your SMT mixture? I have pretty oily hair but I do fine with SMTs, as long as I stick to the standard ratio of conditioner:honey:aloe. I generally do a dilute ACV rinse after, too. Actually, I haven't done an SMT in ages, since having an allergic reaction and purging my cabinets of everything with fragrance oil (which included my J/A/S/O/N aloe gel :( ).

UP Lisa
June 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I have never thought of shampooing right after. Seems like removing every bit of the SMT would defeat the purpose.

LaurelSpring
July 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I have never thought of shampooing right after. Seems like removing every bit of the SMT would defeat the purpose.

Thats what I've always thought too so I didnt think to do it. When I did use it as a pre-wash though it did have lasting effects through a couple of washes.