PDA

View Full Version : Nooooo: self trimming gone wrong...

ilovelonghair
June 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I just did another self trim, because it was about time. After I cut of a bit I checked and my hemline was wonky :(. So had to trim more off, again wonky, I don't even know if it's straight now, but an inch is gone now....

spidermom
June 28th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm a wonky trimmer, too. With waves, it's hard for others to see so try not to stress.

Oskimosa
June 28th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Just relax and come back to it fresh tomorrow. You'll get it right! And like Spidermom said, it's probably not as noticeable as you fear. :)

Arctic_Mama
June 28th, 2010, 11:53 PM
How were you trying to trim, that it ended up crooked? I think you'll be surprised at how forgiving your hair is, especially once it has been washes again, unless it is highly asymmetrical it won't be noticeable.

Dragon
June 28th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Much prefer it being a little wonkey than having to take off to much or letting some one elso do it as they always take off way to much.

tofuowl
June 29th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I always self trim, and more often than not, I feel like I've just destroyed my hair after each and every time ^^; It always looks off to me in the mirror right after a trim.

The best thing to do is just it let it down, give it a good shaking out, sleep on it, and when you look at it tomorrow, it'll probably be just fine :) If you don't think it is, definitely get a second opinion before lobbing more off! I think we're always our biggest critics...

Loreley
June 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
How did you trim it? I always trim when my hair is wet. I comb it straight and put an elastic above the ends, this helps a lot. :)

Alaia
June 29th, 2010, 03:11 AM
When my DH had long hair I graced him with a wonky cut. It wasn't noticeable ;)

Leave it for a bit and see if anyone else notices. You spend time looking and caring for your hair every day, after all, you're bound to see the smallest flaw. I doubt anyone else would. ;)

ilovelonghair
June 29th, 2010, 05:04 AM
How did you trim it? I always trim when my hair is wet. I comb it straight and put an elastic above the ends, this helps a lot. :)

That's how I always do it, this was the first time it went wrong and I have been doing this for more than 2 years (once or twice a month)

I am going to stop trimming when my newer hairs that have never been cut (the ones with tapering ends) grow into the hemline. That will be in between 6 months and a year.

jane53
June 29th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Sorry, ilovelonghair!

I'm always shocked when people self-trim. Shocked and admiring that they are able to! Although I get frequent trims, I am a total klutz and would never try to do it myself.

I agree with those who say it won't show like you think it does. And wavy hair is forgiving, isn't it? (My straight hair is one reason I could never trim it myself.)

LaurelSpring
June 29th, 2010, 10:58 AM
I have just had a wonky self trim episode myself. I can get totally anxious and freaked out about it which doesnt help matters at all. I basically decided the same thing that you did. Next time, Im waiting 6 months, Im only going to nip the end bits and then Im going to put the scissors away and try not to obsess. Usually I forget about it after a little while and I calm down until the next time.

Medievalmaniac
June 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
To self-trim, I always bend forward, shaking all of my hair to the front. I then grab all of my hair into a ponytail and smooth it out several times. Twist to the end, and snip off until it's even, then release and flip back up. I have always gotten good, even results, and only taken off a teeny bit. Maybe you could try that, if Faye's method doesn't work for you? The key in my case is to bend forward and do it, that way I can really see what I'm doing, and I know my back hair will be the same length as my slightly shorter front hair in the end. :)

Pixna
June 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I'm so sorry that happened!! I have self-trimmed for years and never had any problem. I do agree that wavy hair is forgiving of boo-boos, and it's not always easy or possible to get a perfect hemline because wave patterns are constantly shifting. You might try just dusting your hair in six months -- that should keep the hemline evened up so you don't need a big trim again. As others have already said, you might notice any slight wonkiness, but it is highly unlikely anyone else would! As a sister wavy, I just make sure everything is reasonably even, and then I don't worry about it. Even when I do have a perfect hemline, it never looks perfect once my hair dries because the waves wonk it out! :D

humble_knight
June 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
No-one's tried one of those crea-clips to self trim? :neutral:

AZDesertRose
June 29th, 2010, 11:36 AM
I usually self trim, but I too have wavy hair that forgives minor errors. I've never had any trouble getting it reasonably even. I use Feye's method and do a U-shaped hemline, or at least I will again while my layers grow out and afterward.