PDA

View Full Version : *sniffle* I miss my long hair!

OperaTeacherMom
June 28th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I just found some pics from the last time my hair was decently long, a bit longer than BSL straight and a bit shorter curly (in 2004, I was about 17). It was so pretty! Of course this pic was taken on a "good" curl day (full on 'cones and SLS every other day), and the bangs were pretty much atrocious since they were cut wet and straight, so they are about half as long as they should be, but still. Look how pretty this was!

http://images116.fotki.com/v1595/photos/9/1670929/8851992/IMG-vi.jpg

And fried straight:
http://images116.fotki.com/v1595/photos/9/1670929/8851992/IMG_0001-vi.jpg

Why do we chop and not realize how amazing the hair we have really is?? Ever since then I got progressively shorter, most of the time hovering between chin and APL :(

frillychantilly
June 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
I can totally relate - My hair was about mid-back three years ago. This was considered long for my class peers, someone even said that my hair was 'scary'. Hah! Anyway I chopped it off to shoulder, let it grow to APL, and chopped it off to chin again.
If I could just go back in time and slap myself before I went into that Salon, three years ago, I totally would!

spidermom
June 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I know what you mean. I did so many things to my hair over the years, trying to look prettier, all the while wishing for extra-long hair. Finally in my mid-40s I acquired the patience to leave it alone and let it grow, and it's prettier than anything I've ever done.

Better late than never.

jane53
June 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
You can still grow your hair! Go for it!

And meanwhile, thanks for posting this. I've had my hair long for 44 years--all of my adult life and most of my adolescence. Because of that, I occasionally get the "CUT IT ALL OFF AND SEE WHAT IT'S LIKE!!!" bug. Fortunately, I've resisted--and it's for exactly the reason you posted.

But you have beautiful hair! Grow it! Go on! You can do it! You can atone for all those regrets!

Yozhik
June 28th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I can relate, as well. I had mid-back length hair in my mid teens despite active neglect and horrible brushing, but then I cut it progressively shorter until 2 years ago when it was in a chin-length bob. Finally, I started growing it out, and I can't wait to attain the length that I was before!

I guess it does help me appreciate the journey, though, and definitely enjoy having long hair once I finally get it again!

I hope it's the same with you :flower:

error
June 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Wow you are so beautiful you remind me of Uma Thurman I love! Her ! Love!!!!:thudpile:

rachelily
June 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Ohh I TOTES see Uma Thurman! Can't believe I didn't see that before.

I had long thick straight hair (I know, right?) back in 6th grade before puberty happened and screwed everything up. I wore it in a bird's nest of a bun on top of my head every day and once took it down in class and the boy sitting next to me went "Whoa!" because no one realized my hair was long (BSL, long for me haha). Then it got chopped off to the chin, dyed hot pink, and that's where it all went wrong.

I wish future me could have gone back and said "Nooo! Don't cut it, let it grow and when you are 20 years old you will understand!"

OperaTeacherMom
June 28th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Wow you are so beautiful you remind me of Uma Thurman I love! Her ! Love!!!!:thudpile:

:oops: Thank you so much! I used to hear the Uma Thurman comment a lot when my hair was longer, it's funny because she's nearly a foot taller than me.

Man whoever said this site is good for the ego is totally right :o

error
June 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
:oops: Thank you so much! I used to hear the Uma Thurman comment a lot when my hair was longer, it's funny because she's nearly a foot taller than me.

Aww yay! I got so scared I was ready for a (WHAT UMA THERMAN ! ILL KILL YOU!) Lol but you really look like her and she is so cool and pretty shes the black mamba! I never had luck with complementing people though everyone gets so mad at me , there are much friendlier people on this site its wonderful!

rachelily
June 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Hahaha it so true! Everyone is so kind and everyone is so beautiful in their own way.

error
June 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hahaha it so true! Everyone is so kind and everyone is so beautiful in their own way.
Right?! I think its the temperament of everyone on here it gives them a beauty and some form of elegant-ness , a lot of people on here really take care of themselves too so they have this glow , this is my favorite forum :->.

rachelily
June 28th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Right?! I think its the temperament of everyone on here it gives them a beauty and some form of elegant-ness , a lot of people on here really take care of themselves too so they have this glow , this is my favorite forum :->.

Couldn't agree more. And they do have a glow!

SlightlySoprano
June 28th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I know the feeling!!! My hair was APL+ (really almost BSL) in May when I decided it was chop time. If I could go back to May and stop myself, I WOULD. I'm taking pictures now to keep so I can remind myself WHY my hair looks awful at this length (triangle head) and why I need to keep it long even when its frustrating me. I wish I had had the patience to just wait and try and thicken out my hemline instead of just giving up and chopping!

rachelily
June 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I know the feeling!!! My hair was APL+ (really almost BSL) in May when I decided it was chop time. If I could go back to May and stop myself, I WOULD. I'm taking pictures now to keep so I can remind myself WHY my hair looks awful at this length (triangle head) and why I need to keep it long even when its frustrating me. I wish I had had the patience to just wait and try and thicken out my hemline instead of just giving up and chopping!

Ugh ditto. Thickening a hemline is something I really need to work on too but I want the length!!

Dragon
June 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Your hair looked nice there. It will get there again. I cant relate as I've never wanted to cut my hair off. The only reason its happend so many times is because I was made to all the hair dressers dont lissten and do what they want.

tofuowl
June 28th, 2010, 11:10 PM
I can't remember ever having hair shorter than BSL. I have been tempted many, many times to chop it short, just to see what it would be like--curiosity is a powerful thing!

I am so grateful for my mom--she talked me down each and every time, and assured me that I would regret a dramatic cut. I'm sure she knew from experience--until I was 8 or so, she had beautiful long hair too! I can't imagine not having super long hair now!

I wish I could convince my mom to grow hers out again : / she always gets to that awkward length when it just-won't-fit in a hairtie, and calls it quits : /

Loreley
June 29th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Your hair was really pretty. Don't worry, it'll grow back! Just patience, patience... :meditate: