PDA

View Full Version : Hair Horror Stories!

krt1013
May 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Has anyone had similar hair horror stories like this? Please share your experiences, and what you did to recover!

Last weekend, I was in southern Utah and my parents decided to take me for a ride in their Jeep without the top on (and it was freezing that morning, by the way).

So, even though my hair was damp and clipped back, being in the back of said open-air vehicle TORE into my hair. We were going around 65 mph and the remnants of my bangs whipped around (they are in that weird, can't clip them or style them stage) until they were in mini dreadlocks that I had to spend a long while untangling after we got out of the Jeep. It basically felt like all 6 months of my gentle hair treatment went down the drain in 20 short minutes.

When I asked to sit in the front on the way back, my dad said that I "would be fine" and made me experience it all over again!!!

I know it probably wasn't, but I feel like my hair must have been so damaged by all of the cold air blasting through it...

Lady Godiva
May 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
We learn the hard way, don't we? Last time I rode in a convertible, I wrapped my entire head and all of my hair in a big scarf, secured very firmly. Then I wore sunglasses. Worked perfectly. I looked very glamorous. :cool: :p

Once I caught my braid in the vacuum cleaner brush when vacuuming underneath a bed. :lol:

A semi "horror" story was the one and only time that I leaned too far when using the shredder at work and almost caught my braid in it. Almost. :whew:

krt1013
May 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I wish I had known how horrible it would be -- Next time, I'll wear a scarf for sure! I always wonder how women who have their hair undone and blowing wildly in the wind can stand it...

As for the shredder: my goodness! I'd nearly have a heart attack, lol. Reminds me of the time that I accidentally leaned too close to a candle and fried the tip of a lock off (about half an inch!)

swanns
May 13th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I've had my hair literally frozen a couple of times, when I've had swimming in P.E. and once when I just HAD to wash my hair in the morning when I was already late and it was freezing cold (maybe -20C/-4F) I don't really think I really damaged my hair though (then again it was quite damaged at that point anyway so even if it DID damage it I wouldn't have noticed), but it sure didn't feel nice and once gave me a nasty cold :rolleyes:

AJoifulNoise
May 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I got wrapped up in one of those sticky fly tape/trap things that you hang from the ceiling. *shudders* Oh that was disgusting. I told my parents never to buy them again...

Lixie
May 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
My friend accidentally burnt a chunk of my hair with her cigarette just last week. Fortunately the damage was easy to find and snip off, but hearing the hiss of singed hair was not so nice. :lol:

Islandgrrl
May 13th, 2008, 12:43 PM
My biggest hair horror was when it was still knee length and I slammed it in the car door and didn't realize it until 60 freeway miles later when I arrived at my destination. At least a foot of my hair had been flapping in the wind for an hour and was a stinking, oily, filty, matted, disgusting mess.

I drive a Jeep - half the year without a top. Braid. Big huge scarf. Movie star sunglasses. Only way to go. I also ride a bicycle. I wear a buff under my helmet (used to wear a scarf) to protect the hair.

Marysmirth
May 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
When I was a little girl, my mother purchased an old wringer-washer. I begged to help put clothing through. She gave in to me and I promply caught my hair in it. Thank goodness it had a release mechanism. She very shortly after that purchased a new modern washer.

Kirin
May 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
When I was fifteen, i had long platinum blonde hair that was down to the back of my knees. I went with some friends to a Judas Preist concert and all was good...........

until, dun dun dun, a guy behind me lit a cigarette...... his lighter caught my hair, burned all the way to my neck. A swath of hair about four inches across burned all the way to the scalp (luckily JUST put out in time to not burn my skin). I had to get a buzz cut...... OMG ti was awful.

And i will NEVER forget that smell as long as i live.

Islandgrrl
May 13th, 2008, 02:00 PM
When I was fifteen, i had long platinum blonde hair that was down to the back of my knees. I went with some friends to a Judas Preist concert and all was good...........

until, dun dun dun, a guy behind me lit a cigarette...... his lighter caught my hair, burned all the way to my neck. A swath of hair about four inches across burned all the way to the scalp (luckily JUST put out in time to not burn my skin). I had to get a buzz cut...... OMG ti was awful.

Yeah, okay, that's really hair horror! YIKES!!! Scariest thing I've heard in a while.

Lixie
May 13th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Oh my goodness, Kirin, how horrible! :( What did the guy do when he realised what he'd done?

Iylivarae
May 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
My dad was in a hospital when he was young (had an accident and almost lost his leg). He told me that in the same room, there was a girl with long (hip or TB, I think) hair. She also had an accident, she sat on a tractor, when her hair got wrapped around the axis and she got almost scalped. But they were able to fix it in the hospital... so: -> always keep your hair up if you work with machines!

VikingJarl
May 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Yikes! Some nasty stories.

My worst was catching my hair in an electric drill when mounting a light on a car. I tore out a 2 inch square patch right from the roots! All I had left was a square bald patch with blood oozing from where the hair had been.

Last year my hair caught in the flame of a bonfire and I lost three inches, had to cut more off to even things up:-(

I hope that is the last of my hair horrors!

Iylivarae
May 13th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I hope so too, VikingJarl. That sounds horrible!

The sister of my ex boyfriend also had a similar accident. She got her hair caught in a mixer, it tore part of her skin... she now has an about 10cm long scar across her forehead. Poor girl.

Isilme
May 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
my mom hates chewing gum, and there's a reason to it...
Once she fell asleep with the chewing gum in her mounth (when she was a kid) and when she woke up it was all tangled in her hair.

n3m3sis42
May 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
I accidentally caught my bangs on fire when I was in 8th or 9th grade...

This was in the late 80's or verrry early 90's, when many people had huge hair-spray-intensive bangs. I was being an idiot and playing with a lighter, so I pretty much deserved what I got. I got the lighter a little too close to my face and WHOOOMP.

Fortunately, my first instinct was to smack my hand against my burning bangs, so I wasn't hurt. And they were so "fried" already that it didn't seem to make much appreciable difference in how they looked, sad to say.

saracuda
May 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I was working under my car changing the oil and got my hair rolled up in the creeper wheels. I was stuck under the car because the wheel couldn't roll anymore (it was rolled up to my head) so DH had to pull me out sideways and help me get detangled from the creeper. He thought it was pretty funny, but was very helpful. Now, I braid or bun before I work on cars!

Haldir
May 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Let's see.... I've:

- Melted my hair on a soldering iron (I never knew that was even possible)
- Gotten my hair stuck in an electric outlet... thank goodness I didn't die
- Gotten a brush all rolled up and stuck at the really top of my hair... took at least 2 hours to untangle
- Gotten my hair mistaken for someone else's: they tried to brush my hair behind their ear (ok so it's not exactly a horror, but it's funny!)
- Gotten my hair stuck in a closed bus door (they had the sense to check why I wasn't moving away from the bus before trying to pull away)

... yeah... bad memories for sure. More to come :(

Cheery
May 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
My stories aren't as horrifying as some of yours:

1. When I was really little I convinced my older sister to cut my hair. I have no idea why. In fact, I don't even remember the incident. I would never allow her to cut my hair now. She used to cut all her dolls' hair. Skipper became Barbie's little brother...

2. When I was about 11 or so, at that awkward age where you don't give a hang what you look like, I got really lazy about brushing my hair and eventually developed a HUGE matt in it. I wore it in a ponytail to cover it up, because I didn't want to bother brushing it out. Finally my mom got sick of my hair looking so nasty, so she sat me down and gradually brushed it out. Very painful, not fun.

3. A year or two ago my brother had bought my parents a new TV for their anniversary. He told me to go into their room and get the DVD player so he could hook it up. The DVD player was on a shelf next to the wall. In between the wall and shelf was my dad's guitar. As I stuck my head between the shelf and wall to unplug the DVD player my hair brushed past the guitar strings. Then as I leaned back, my hair brushed past them the other way. It was then that I realized I had a serious problem. My hair was tangled in the guitar strings and I could NOT get it out! I called me brother into the room and he had to untangle it for me. Rather embarassing.

Pegasus Marsters
May 13th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I went to Disneyland Paris last year and would put my hair in braided pigtails every morning as that was the most practical way to have it whilst going on rides, etc. Every night I'd get back to my hotel room and have tangles in the braided hair. I have no idea how but it was so dreadful, I ended up spending an hour a night trying to get the tangles out when I wanted to be having fun with my college friends.

krt1013
May 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Here's another one from when I was a little girl:

My much older sister had squarish bangs (as was fashionable in 1990) and I wanted some of my own. So, independent little girl as I was, I grabbed my blunt safety scissors and hacked away at the hair near my forehead. The result? Nearly bald patches mixed with longer strips that barely reached my eyebrows --- and one horrified mother, of course. :)

I also remember a time in 7th grade history class when I stood up from my desk and ripped out a HUGE chunk of my hair. Apparently, when the girl behind me had sat down after me, she pushed her desk against my hair and smushed it between the corners of the wood and the back of my chair. I remember how shocked I was after the pain went away to see about a finger-thick strand just dangling there! It took years to grow back; I could still see the shorter hairs my senior year of high school. :(

Thank goodness for LHC and all the fine ladies who help us keep out hair healthy and protected from the daily dangers of long hair! I don't know what I did with myself before I found this place.

lilypilly
May 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
when I was little i shaved a patch at the front. I have no idea why i did it! I do remember lying in bed and thinking about the safety razor in the bathroom.
I had a fringe after that to hide the patch. I think my mother thought it was funny although she would never have told me that at the time lol.
My oldest DD11 had her hair cut by her friend who attempted to give her layers. It was an awful mess, with blunt short bits and long straggly lonely pieces. It would have been almost mid back before the 'do' and I had to cut it to almost jaw length. She was mostly embarassed about it all than horrified.

Morag
May 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well, there was the stylist who - after I had clearly and firmly told her that I wanted everything blunt cut, and no bangs - suddenly whacked off all the front hair that it had taken me four years or so to grow even with the rest of my hair. :agape:

I was so shocked I literally couldn't say anything. (It was already too late anyway - she couldn't stick it back on, could she?) I did eventually complain and get my money back, but - sheesh! :steam: It kinda puts a knot in my stomach nearly 30 years and myriad haircuts later. Never mind, let's not think about that one any more ...

Then there was my first perm. My paternal grandmother decided when I was about five years old that my long, perfectly straight blonde hair was too thin and needed to be permed. She did it herself. She insisted that the perm needed to be left in longer than normal, because (in her opinion) children's hair was difficult to perm. So I was miserable for hours from the perm stink, my eyes stung, and my poor hair ended up burned, dry, and completely uncombable. After a couple of weeks of both of us crying bitterly every time Mom tried to comb it out for me, I got my first short haircut. I have to admit that I liked it - possibly due to permanent trauma (pun intended). :doh:

Igor
May 14th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Hmm, hair dresser cut not my hair but my ear when I was very young. I refused to go the hairdresser and only my mom could approach me with a scissor. My hair grew from a chin length to below classic before I saw a hair dresser again (By then I had grown my bangs out and got it all cut off at a shoulder length blunt one length)

Other than that I once got my hair trapped in a small fan. I was on vacation with my parents and we had a cooling box next to me on the back seat of the car. I fell asleep and curled up on the seat and woke up with my mom trying to free my hair from the air intake on the box. The little fan had sucked my hair up!
My hair came out completely fine and unharmed but the fan died :laugh:

florenonite
May 14th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I got a brush stuck rolled up in my hair once. Don't ask.

My sister cut my hair when we were wee. Her story is that we were playing hairdresser and I said 'really cut my hair!'. Plausible. Mum's story is that she was jealous of my hair. I had long straight hair, whilst hers was short and wavy (she'd had it cut due to mega-greeness from chlorine. Mine, being darker, wasn't coloured). Probable.

Tap Dancer
May 14th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Wind is horrible! A few years ago I was riding a jetski with my hair loose. It was only shoulder length but it was so full of tangles when I was done. I can't remember how much conditioner it took to help me work them out. Now I know that if hair is long enough to tangle, it needs to be up!

Chamomilemaiden
May 14th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Last night I manged to glue some of my hair with nail polish.... I accidentaly left it in my bed and during the night the bottle opened and some of the nail polish leaked on my hair. It took me a while in the morning to realize what happend and why my hair are a bit weird.... :-D... Fortunately it was quiet easy to get the nail polish out.

Isilme
May 14th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Last night I manged to glue some of my hair with nail polish.... I accidentaly left it in my bed and during the night the bottle opened and some of the nail polish leaked on my hair. It took me a while in the morning to realize what happend and why my hair are a bit weird.... :-D... Fortunately it was quiet easy to get the nail polish out.

How did you get it out? If I ever get nailpolish in my hair it would be good to know;)

AutumnLeaves
May 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Wow! These really are some horror stories! I've had a couple incidents myself...

Once my hair got sucked into the vent holes of a blow dryer all the way up to the scalp. My hair was probably the longest it has ever been too! Had to take the dryer completely apart to release the hair and it was so burned and knotted and matted that it literally had to be cut off. Salvation was not possible.

Also, there was a time I was cutting my own bangs and kept cutting them on a slant. I ended up with bangs aprroximately 1/4" in length and ended up doing a comb over to hide the mess. Yuck.

And once when I was working the nursery at my old church, a mom came in late with her daughter. She was almost in tears from the stress factor and being late. The daughter had a round brush so knotted in her hair the mom couldn't get it out! It took me all of about two minutes to remove it just by slowing down and paying attention to how the hair was wrapped. But I'll never forget the mom's face! LOL

vidgrl007
May 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM
when i was younger i got a round brush stuck in my hair.also when i was in 6th grade i let a friend cut my hair she shaved the sides.and when a hairdresser razored the heck out of my hair i liked the cut for 2 days and regretted it my hair is finally cbl the same as it was then when i had it razored by the hairdresser.the hairdresser incident happend last sept.i found you guys in oct so all of you have been my saving grace not to cut my hair. :)

k_hepburn
May 14th, 2008, 06:35 AM
This thread scares me ...
:couch:

katharine

chelly
May 14th, 2008, 06:51 AM
when i was 13ish i had a cute short cut and a few days before picture day i went to get it trimmed and she shaved it soooo shot that it was just like stubble, i bawled my eyes out it looked so horrible, my mom was so mad about it.

I also bleached it in HS and dyed it bright fire truck red with black roots but it was so damaged that i conditioned the heck out of it which in turn caused the color to fade to a horrible orange/pink within a week then i had to get it all dyed black and cut off 5-6inches.

I'm a terrible dirty smoker and i flicked a cigarette out the window of my car when my hair was waist length and about 30 seconds later i smelled burning hair and the butt had come back in the window and landed in the hair on my shoulder, then i burned even more off trying to get the darn thing out while freaking out. eeeek it was terrible :[

Keiera
May 14th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I recently got a scooter, and it's impossible to get my hair under my full face helmet. So I just braided it and let the braid fly around in the wind. Well, that was fine and dandy... until the elastic came out. My tail bone length hair ended up blowing around completely free from the neck down for about 15 minutes. That was a giant mess to undo once I got home... I keep the braid tucked under my jacket when I ride now.

When I was in 10th grade, I asked a friend to trim my hair. She trimmed it alright! I was sitting on the floor, she on the couch with scissors, when I heard it. "Oops. It's ok, I can fix it!" Yeah... lost at least 6 inches. For some reason I wasn't fazed at all by this. I can't remember being mad at her or anything, in fact I didn't really even care. My mom was kind of mad, though. It was a joke between me and the friend for the next few years :D. Of course, I wasn't seriously growing my hair out at the time, and what she cut off wasn't exactly in the best of condition.

I also tried to dye my hair that midnight blue/black color that some Asians have naturally. I had a friend who's hair was this color naturally. I thought it was amazing and that I wanted hair like that too. I was in 8th grade, and my mom caught me mid dye. She made me wash it out right then, and since it hadn't been on my head that long, part of it had taken, and part of it hadn't. I had black stripes until mom bought some more dye so my hair would be brown again! I got called Tony (the tiger, frosted flakes mascot) for the rest of the year.

ladystar
May 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM
1.When I was little I was trying to curl my hair with a round wooded brush and I accidentally got the brush stuck all the way up to my scalp. My grandmother tried for hours to take it out. She ended up pulling every little bristle out of the brush then with conditioner, my head was in pain after, thank god she didn't cut.

2.I got gun stuck in my hair ice and conditioner took it out.

3.When I was 18 I had tail bone virgin hair. I broke up with a boyfriend that didn't want me to cut it. I rebelled and went to a salon and had her cut it to shoulder length dye it and add some high lights. Well as I was sitting under the header with beach on my head I felt my scalp start to burn. I got up and looked in the mirror my head was smoking, so I told her ummm this is burning my head. She was like Oh yea lets go wash. When we sat on the chair I started to touch my hair and it would just break on my hands. I was like why is my hair breaking like this? She told me that's normal and started to blow dry it. My hair was falling offf. When I looked in the mirror I had black hair with white ashy green highlights, I looked like a zebra. After that I went to another salon I had to dye it again and leave my hair up for like a month with conditioner in it 24-7. I never went to her again.

angelthadiva
May 14th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Thankfully this didn't happen to me...One 4th of July eve my dad was lighting off fireworks at their cabin on the river...One after one went sizzling into the sky leaving behind a tail of smoke...When suddenly one bottle rocket type of thing, I think it was called a "Screaming Mimi" launched, did a spiral and headed back toward us (the audience) only to make a crash landing right in my Aunt's hair...It burned her hair right down to the scalp...

Since that time, my dad has not launched anymore fireworks, and that particular style is banned in the state we live in.

khyricat
May 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
lets see..

I've doen the round brush tangled in hair that took forever to get out...

in a convertible I learned as a child to not only pull it back, but cover it in a scarf... still do that today.

On a sailboat/windsurfer I dutch/frenchbraid with a cord through it to tie my glasses on too! wish I had a better solution for when I windsurf I don't ever recall getting back out and not having tangles in the hair.. though next time I may oil well (last time I went was last April, so just BEFORE I joined LHC) to see if that helps.... since it will also protect it from all the salt...

my worst story was mom telling the hairdresser to cut off my braid and him listening right after I graduated high school.. he gave me a good cut after that, but I sat down to discuss what I wanted and he immediately cut off my braid- I didn't notice the scissors in the until then trusted hairdressers hand) .. at least he tied off the top and gave it back to me!

I think thats why I trust so few people to cut my hair now.... and part of why I crave the length.

noelgirl
May 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM
My worst hair horror dates back to my freshman year of college. My hair was waist-length at the time, and I'd seen in a magazine how to do fake dreads and I thought that it would look really cool on my hair, figuring that if I only kept them in for a day or two they wouldn't actually lock and I'd be able to comb them right out. Well, towards the end of the second day I tried to comb them out - and they wouldn't budge! I combed what I could out and there were still several sections that had matted pretty firmly. After a few more attempts over the next few days (I tried every conditioner I had, every comb/brush/pick I could get my hands on), I finally got sick of having to hide the knots, so I made little snips in the middle of each knot and combed from there. I lost less hair than I probably would have cutting the knots completely out, but I did still lose quite a bit - when all was said and done it ended up around BSL and really thinned out, with a fair bit of breakage. It took a really long time to get back to its usual thickness; the next time I remember being happy with my hair after that was sometime around junior year.

Chamomilemaiden
May 14th, 2008, 08:20 AM
How did you get it out? If I ever get nailpolish in my hair it would be good to know

It was a very old nail polish, which I donīt use any more and itīs quiet washy. It glued the hair together, but with a little patience I just separated the glue from individual hairs manually (and after I put a bit of oil). But I thought in case I couldnīt separate it I would just simply use a little bit of varnish remover ;)

AJoifulNoise
May 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Count me among those who have gotten a brush stuck, rolled up in their hair. I freaked, thinking I would have to cut it out! But, my stepmom swooped in, pushed my dad aside (saying it was "a girl thing"), and slowly untangled it. I've been kinda weary of brushes since then.

camillacamilla
May 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Has anyone had similar hair horror stories like this? Please share your experiences, and what you did to recover!

Last weekend, I was in southern Utah and my parents decided to take me for a ride in their Jeep without the top on (and it was freezing that morning, by the way).

So, even though my hair was damp and clipped back, being in the back of said open-air vehicle TORE into my hair. We were going around 65 mph and the remnants of my bangs whipped around (they are in that weird, can't clip them or style them stage) until they were in mini dreadlocks that I had to spend a long while untangling after we got out of the Jeep. It basically felt like all 6 months of my gentle hair treatment went down the drain in 20 short minutes.

When I asked to sit in the front on the way back, my dad said that I "would be fine" and made me experience it all over again!!!

I know it probably wasn't, but I feel like my hair must have been so damaged by all of the cold air blasting through it...

I have had 3 Jeeps over the past 10 years....I learned real quick that on a Jeep ride the hair must be VERY secure. I do a ball cap with a braided ponytail with various ponytail holders down the length, or a bandanna with two braids. And sunglasses, cause any little hair spriggies will pop you in the eye. OUCH! When I had my first Jeep and hadn't learned all the hair fastening required, I literally had broken off wispies around my face from the wind.

Haldir
May 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Amazing to know that there are so many others that got their brushes all rolled up and tangled at the top of their scalp :D

florenonite
May 14th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Amazing to know that there are so many others that got their brushes all rolled up and tangled at the top of their scalp :D

I was trying to curl my (then) 1a/1b hair. What's your excuse? =P

angelthadiva
May 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Ugh, I managed to tangle my hair up in a round brush too...It was the style that had those nobby ends, so it really gripped the hair...I had to run to the pharmacy because I had to pick up an RX...I was running out of time, so I slapped on a fishing hat, hoping to God I wouldn't run into anyone I knew...Ahem, no such luck...I did finally get the brush out after about an hour...I threw the dang thing away. :D

Haldir
May 14th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I was trying to curl my (then) 1a/1b hair. What's your excuse? =P
Hahaha I thought that rolling it up would be cool:cool: Clearly I was wrong!

Morag
May 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Last night I manged to glue some of my hair with nail polish....

Oh, Chamomilemaiden, you reminded me that I recently got super glue in my hair! (Really, don't ask ...) Fortunately, I didn't notice it until it had dried, and I was able to gently sort of crumble and slide it off the individual hairs. :o

That seems to be a really popular one. I've definitely done that, too. Those round brushes are :demon:.

Kleis
May 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
2.I got gun stuck in my hair ice and conditioner took it out.

Okay, I was going to give you first prize (a GUN??!) until my brain caught up with my eyes and realized this was just a typo. :lol:

julya
May 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM
My best friend in middle school got my round brush stuck in her waist length hair after a day at the waterslides. She had to have her mom cut the bristles off.

DecafJane
May 15th, 2008, 12:28 AM
When I was 15 and had mid-back-length hair, I went to a school camp and one girl offered to do it to make it look good. She teased the whole lot really badly, and it actually matted! I spent most of the night in the shower with conditioner trying to untangle the mess, and lost an entire fistful of hair. :(

khyricat
May 15th, 2008, 04:50 AM
my round brush experience was young and taught me to pack my OWN brush in the beach bag. My grandmother decided my hair should be brushed BEFORE we headed back to the house to remove any sand from being in the sea water and the only brush was her round brush with the ball tips (she had short hair that she curled over it) and it took the 2 of us over an hour to remove it once it was worked in.. I think my initial attempts made things worse....

ladystar
May 15th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Okay, I was going to give you first prize (a GUN??!) until my brain caught up with my eyes and realized this was just a typo. :lol:

LOL OPS!!!! lol Sorry No not a gun. Just gum. That would be umm kind of weird. :demon:

Pegasus Marsters
May 15th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I'm another one who has trapped a round brush in thier hair, right near the scalp. I dunno how it happens, but round brushes should be reserved for short hair! :silly:

KajiKodomo
May 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Yup, I got the round brush stuck in my hair (except mine was the one with all the tiny plastic bristles, remniscient of a BBB). I was trying to blow dry it and curl it with the brush (I think one of my friends recommended it), so my hair was wet on top of being tangled up.

I also got gum in my hair at a concert once, right at my scalp (someone from a higher level must have THROWN it!), but I got it out.

My biggest "hair horror" was the time I dyed the front sections of my hair with a dye from Sally's that bleaches and colors at the same time. When I dyed it the second time with the same product a few weeks later when it started fading, my hair started falling out and it was gritty/grainy and didn't feel like hair at all! Luckily, I still had enough hair for short bangs. I'll never do THAT again! :rolleyes:

zift
May 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM

*gulp* Cigarette should be forbidden in crowded areas.:smirk:
Nothing's not going to hold me from wearing my hair loose and headbanging crazily to JP this summer though !:rockerdud

MusicLady
May 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
In Feb, right after I cut 4 inches off, I had my hair in a braid. I was at the stove bending over, and didn't realize my new length was just perfect for the end to land in the flame! Wouldn't you know, it curled out, just like it was TRYING to get singed. Thank goodness, though, it was just a singe, and nothing worse. But I'm much more careful around stoves now.

MakeItADouble
May 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM
My worst ones were getting my hair cut unevenly, and subtly bringing it up to the stylist (who I loved) and having the stylist tell me that some people's hair grows like that. I've never had lopsided growth, so I stopped going, and sure enough, my hair evened out.

Another one - in high school (seems a lot of these are from our days of folly) I dyed my hair black. It was BSL then, so pretty and thick. Looked good, but then a month later, I decided I wanted bright blonde hair. I even convinced the rents to let me do it... and you guessed it. The blonde didn't take over the black, only the 1" growth on my scalp! I looked like an anime character and had to get my hair stripped to a mousy brown. It was so dry after that. I decided no more blonde after that.

ginalaurie
May 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I've done the "round brush" thing, BUT my brush was one of those Revo-stylers that runs on batteries and rotates automatically. Sometimes, it would just roll right up the side of my head to my scalp, taking any hair it touched with it. Sadly, this happened SEVERAL times. My hair was about shoulder length at the time and I loved the way the revo-styler made it look, really smooth and glossy and bouncy. But there was definitely a trick to using it.

Since I've joined here and learned how to take care of my hair, just the thought of that thing gives me the shudders! Wap,Wap,Wap!! Something like 200 revolutions per minute! My poor spanked hair!

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
My worst ones were getting my hair cut unevenly, and subtly bringing it up to the stylist (who I loved) and having the stylist tell me that some people's hair grows like that. I've never had lopsided growth, so I stopped going, and sure enough, my hair evened out.

OMG! I wonder how many folks she did that crap to! Ain't that a buncha poo! Good for you for being done with her.

I had a great gal; I know that's unusual. She cut what I told her to cut and no more. Bless her. But after awhile giving her $6 for something a friend could do ... well I quit that, lol.

Ryzen
May 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I, too, Like everyone else, had my hair caught in a round brush...my sister did it actually trying to curl my hair...but meh.

Another story, when I was 12ish, I decided to cut bangs/fringes in my hair and they ended up so short it made me look like i had a mullet!

A story similar to that one, I had my hair up and I cut off all of the uneven hairs in the front...and I (I dont know why) decided to take a razor to my bangs/fringes and i ended up with a little shaven bald spot right in front of my head! Whats worst, when it grew out a little bit, it looked horrible...imagine having 2 inch bangs/fringes!

talula_fairie
May 18th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Worst hair disaster was when I took my chemically treated hair and tried to get it dyed red. The roots took the rest was a miserable half-red color. I tried and tried to get it to the shade I wanted but it just wouldn't. So then I got this insane idea to dye it black over that. And then!! I got an even more insane idea to get it bleached out to brown with blonde highlights. This took hours of bleaching and who knows what to my hair. The hair was so pourus at that point it went black almost and the highlights were these blotches of orangey-yellow.

So the hairstylist dyed it back to dark brown/almost black. I kept it that way and cut off a lot of length because it was so dry after awhile. It literally felt like cardboard. It made crunch sounds if you touched it. So then just before I got married I tried to get it to light brown with highlights. It didn't really take and the hairdresser spent 6+ hours trying to color correct and highlight it.

Yeah, that was the worst years for my poor hair.

yrrebwartsymssi
May 19th, 2008, 07:53 AM
i have been fortunate enough not to have a horror story but my mom was telling me that when she lived on a farm her and her brothers were playing with the chickens and one managed to fly up into her HUGMONGOUS afro and his feet got tangled up. She said the chicken was pulling her hair out trying to get free and all she could do was scream... they ended up having to cut her hair to free the chicken...

tiny_teesha
May 22nd, 2008, 04:34 AM
I did the round brush thing. Those spikey hard bristle ones. Wrapped my hair around it like a curler ( i was young...er) and then when i tried to unwind.....i cried. It took like 45 minutes!! I never tried that again!

fatmoogas
May 24th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Commiserations for that!

goldenwaves
June 24th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I haven't had one, but my auntie was lighting the BBQ and it flared up, burning lots of her fringe and eyebrows off!!

Tap Dancer
June 24th, 2008, 04:39 AM
My first "story" was lame so I came up with another one. :p

When I was 10 or 11, my hair was about waist length. My mom always told me not to go to bed with gum in my mouth. So one day she was gone and my sister and I were home together. I was laying on my bed and I dozed off. I woke up and - you guessed it - I had a big wad of gum in the middle of my hair. My sister and I tried lots of things to get it out: ice, peanut butter... My mom came home and kept trying things too. She suggested cutting it out but I wouldn't have it. In the end, she combed it out and it seemed to take forever. Ouuuuch! :(

Riot Crrl
June 24th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Mine aren't as bad as some of the stories here, but I did catch my bangs on fire once when they had Aqua-Net in them. They burned right up.

Besides that, I have bleached and done every other horrible thing you could think of, but I think the worst was: allowing my hair to freeze while wet. My mother wasn't exactly correct that it would "freeze and break off," but freezing it while wet made it more damaged and nasty than the grossest chemicals I have put on, and I have put some gross chemicals.

HotRag
June 24th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I have done the BBQ-thing. Luckily not to much damage.

And I have gotten caught in a creeper wheel (under a car).

I also have got caught in a drillmachine that got locked in "on-mode". Luckily for me, the machine was kind of weak, it started to sound sick and then the electrical motor died. At that time my DH had come to my rescue, taking the cord out.
I was able to fix the machine later :-D

But this was with my long hair in the 90's.
Nothin has happened yet when my hair is getting longer again.
The worst is when my dog i stepping on it when I'm in bed. But he is learning where not to step.

I saw on TV about a girl that had got caught in a big machine with her braids. She was scalped and face was litterally ripped of. They were able to fix her thank God.

jeno
June 24th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I have also used a round brush (evil i thing) and of course it got stuck in my fine hair... They should be forbidden if you have longer hair than down to your chin!

I decided to have bright red hair a couple of years ago. It was a semi-permanent colour, and in spring-time I wanted to go blond again. I thought it wasn't really red any more so I decided to get blond highlights to even it out during summertime. They went bright ORANGE. Awful. So then I tried to remove all colour, the girl who sold it to me said I would became pale blond and that was ok with me.
It didn't go blond. (Surprise?) It went YELLOW, chicken-yellow, with white highlights in...
I had to go to store again and this time I used a semi-permanent ash blond. Lucky for me it turned out ok, it could have been green! Some odd beige-orange-blond... I'll never do that again!
Here you can see the red and the yellow:
http://i25.tinypic.com/14mun2r.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/acvchx.jpg
Need I say it was loooooong before LHC?

SHELIAANN1969
June 24th, 2008, 06:29 AM
When I was about 9 or 10 I caught my hair in set of mixer beaters, nightmare to get out! I was being stupid, who knows why?

I also got my hair wrapped up in a curling iron that has the brush/comb on it, it was pretty stuck.

And just last night as I was plugging my phone back into the outlet, I bent down near the fan and my hair was loose, it's an OLD metal blade fan and I "felt the breeze" because I was more "behind" it, I almost cow pattied right there, I will NOT be doing that again, I was like "oh man, what was I thinking?"

I had been working all day since 8am and my job sent me an email and it had a virus and killed my laptop, I had to factory restore from 1:30 pm to 8:30 pm and I was beat, ack, I didn't get my hair stuck/ caught/ ripped, but I could have.

Oh yeah, and when I was 12 and using a blowfryer, it started shooting flames, thank Goodness my hair was actually wet!

This is not even mentioning all the "boy cuts" hairdressers gave me over the years when I was young, I will never forget school pictures that I "hate" to this day because of those horrible cuts, yuck!

Delenn
June 24th, 2008, 06:45 AM
My biggest hair horror was when it was still knee length and I slammed it in the car door and didn't realize it until 60 freeway miles later when I arrived at my destination. At least a foot of my hair had been flapping in the wind for an hour and was a stinking, oily, filty, matted, disgusting mess.

Wow, that's certainly a "you know you're a longhair when you can drive down the freeway without knowing your braid is hanging out of the door instead of the seatbelt" story! :bigeyes:

Delenn
June 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
My dad was in a hospital when he was young (had an accident and almost lost his leg). He told me that in the same room, there was a girl with long (hip or TB, I think) hair. She also had an accident, she sat on a tractor, when her hair got wrapped around the axis and she got almost scalped. But they were able to fix it in the hospital... so: -> always keep your hair up if you work with machines!

Yea, that has to be some sound advice there! I remember in Jr. High Wood Shop class (they had stuff like that back then...) there was a powertool of some sort hung from the ceiling complete with the huge bushy ponytail that got all caught up in it. They had to cut it off of the poor girl who learned the hard way that a simple ponytail doesn't always do the trick around powertools. They had it hanging as a warning... that's something that's always stayed with me. :shocked:

Altocumulus
June 24th, 2008, 06:48 AM
I did the round brush thing. Those spikey hard bristle ones. Wrapped my hair around it like a curler ( i was young...er) and then when i tried to unwind.....i cried. It took like 45 minutes!! I never tried that again!

I did that too. Took forever to get it out!

Delenn
June 24th, 2008, 06:58 AM
i have been fortunate enough not to have a horror story but my mom was telling me that when she lived on a farm her and her brothers were playing with the chickens and one managed to fly up into her HUGMONGOUS afro and his feet got tangled up. She said the chicken was pulling her hair out trying to get free and all she could do was scream... they ended up having to cut her hair to free the chicken...

OHMYGOSH!!!! Your poor mom! But wow, I bet that was a sight to see! :bigeyes:

Darkhorse1
June 24th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Weird, I made a post like this and it got locked. Meh, whatever ;)

I'm one of those crazy ladies that LOVES to let my hair blow in the wind! We have speed boats at our cottage and I love being on the front with the hair blowing in my wind. When I was growing my hair, I loved to be in my dad's corvette with the roof pannels out, until my hair got into his face and he asked me to tie it back after that ;) Oh well, it was still fun!

tiny_teesha
June 24th, 2008, 07:49 AM
yrrebwartsymssi- i think you top for hte most bizzare story!!!
My bird once had a hair (of mine) down his throat i had to pull it out and to see his expression as i did so....*shudder* made me WANT to chop my hair off! poor little parrot!!! Not to mention the COUNTLESS times my hair got tangled around his legs or leg band!

burns_erin
June 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM
When I had waist length hair, I was swinging on a tire swing and someone pushed me so I would start spinning. Somehow my hair got caught between the two ropes and spun into them till my head was tucked right against the rope. naturally enough i refused to let them cut me free, and fortunately enough for me they knew exactly what my father would do to someone who cut one of his daughter's hair. So, my friend's father had to lift me and the tire swing up while my friend's mother untangled my hair. As I recall, I was never invited back to their house again.

JessTheMess
June 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I have also used a round brush (evil i thing) and of course it got stuck in my fine hair... They should be forbidden if you have longer hair than down to your chin!

I decided to have bright red hair a couple of years ago. It was a semi-permanent colour, and in spring-time I wanted to go blond again. I thought it wasn't really red any more so I decided to get blond highlights to even it out during summertime. They went bright ORANGE. Awful. So then I tried to remove all colour, the girl who sold it to me said I would became pale blond and that was ok with me.
It didn't go blond. (Surprise?) It went YELLOW, chicken-yellow, with white highlights in...
I had to go to store again and this time I used a semi-permanent ash blond. Lucky for me it turned out ok, it could have been green! Some odd beige-orange-blond... I'll never do that again!
Here you can see the red and the yellow:
http://i25.tinypic.com/14mun2r.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/acvchx.jpg
Need I say it was loooooong before LHC?

I did the SAME EXACT THING!!! Only my hair was waist length. Let's just say that after about 8 inches cut off and several deep conditioning treatments my hair started to not feel like straw. I then went on to dye it black.

I also got stuck in the round brushes... I say we should have a throw away your round brush day!

And for my worst hair moment, I shaved off all of my baby hairs in the front of my hairline. Let's just say it left me looking like I had a ginormous forehead and a balding look... Now I embrace my whispy baby hairs

peachy.pudding
June 24th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Ive singed mine whilst lighting the cooker, pulled hairs out by accident but thats about it! No horrors here.

honeybunch
June 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM

OMG! I'm sooooo sorry!!!!

wintersun99
June 24th, 2008, 09:11 AM

bex487
June 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I did an awful thing to myself, and it was all my fault. First I got a perm. Then, about a month later, I decided I really wanted to try dark, dark brown hair (I have natural dark blonde hair). Well, I got bored with that 2 months later and thought it'd be a cinch to go back blonde. After TWO bleachings, dying, and a total of 6 hours in the salon, I learned better. I ended up cutting off a lot of my hair because I hated how brassy and damaged it was. I liked my short cut (thank goodness) and now I'm attempting long hair again. So far, not a single split end! Before, I was breaking off 2-inch ends no problem.

happylynngilmer
June 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I've shared some of my horror stories in other threads already, but the other day (and I haven't read this as of yet, so I really hope I'm not the only idiot who has done this!) I was wearing my hair down, and realized I needed to lint brush my entirely black outfit.
So I grab lint brush, starting with my legs, front of shirt, arms of shirt, then go to do my back of shirt when my hair gets stuck to the stupid lint brush! I KNEW MY HAIR WAS DOWN, DID I THINK IT WAS IMPERVIOUS TO STICKY PAPER?!

I got it mostly unrolled/untangled, but a few strands did snap off. :/ Needless to say, when I use my lint brush now I treat it like a deadly weapon.

Delenn
June 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I've shared some of my horror stories in other threads already, but the other day (and I haven't read this as of yet, so I really hope I'm not the only idiot who has done this!) I was wearing my hair down, and realized I needed to lint brush my entirely black outfit.
So I grab lint brush, starting with my legs, front of shirt, arms of shirt, then go to do my back of shirt when my hair gets stuck to the stupid lint brush! I KNEW MY HAIR WAS DOWN, DID I THINK IT WAS IMPERVIOUS TO STICKY PAPER?!

I got it mostly unrolled/untangled, but a few strands did snap off. :/ Needless to say, when I use my lint brush now I treat it like a deadly weapon.

LOL you reminded me of when my hair was introduced to packing tape not too long ago. Luckily not too much got caught but that could've ended up much worse!!!

Siava
June 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM
VikingJarl, that made me cringe. Eww!

My hair has been burned with cigarettes and one of those curling irons with the built in brushes. Wurly/curlies should never use those!! Oh, and it got caught in the wheels of a remote control car. Fun stuff.

susiemw
June 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
so: -> always keep your hair up if you work with machines!

Absolutely!

I had a patient who worked in a factory. She had long hair (waist length?? I don't remember how long at this point) and she had worn it back in a braid but hadn't put it up.

The braid got caught in the machinery and she was scalped.
They were able to do surgical repairs but she'll never be the same. The scars were not subtle. I was horrified. I just can't even imagine how awful that would be.

Susan

orangeeyecrayon
June 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
when i was in high school i used to walk to school every day and in the winter my hair would freeze, becuase i never wanted to dry it with a blow dryer, and why when i got to school i would usually end up just putting it up cause it would be cold and wet and frozen and you could hear the hair snapping from the cold frozen parts

Fencai
June 24th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I usually forget about the car windows thing.
The worst is being on my parents boat. We usually just hang out in the docks, but occasionally, we take it out, and its always when i forget the scarf... braiding it just doesnt cut it.
Im part of the large scarf, sunglasses movie star look club!

Igor
June 24th, 2008, 12:27 PM
I saw on TV about a girl that had got caught in a big machine with her braids. She was scalped and face was litterally ripped of. They were able to fix her thank God.

Uff, yea, I saw that one too. Sweet little Indian girl… What a horrible story! Worst thing was that they had to drive for two fricking hours to get her to a hospital :shivers:

squiggyflop
June 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM
ok so i was using a lighter and my hair caught fire.. my hair was so damaged and dry that i heard a *flumph* sound and a whole section of my bangs was gone (right down to the scalp) in a single second.. scared the heck out of me.. i think that may have been the moment when i decided to take better care of it.. the smell was horrible..

Oberon88
June 24th, 2008, 03:15 PM
When I was in first grade I cut my own bangs the day before picture day. Needless to say, the photos are adorable.
I worked at a ranch all last year, and while I was doctoring a horses hoof, I somehow got Koppertox (a terrible green liquid used to treat thrush) in my hair. I was so thankful it came out, but I thought i was going to have to lose four inches of green and damaged hair.

Igor your story reminded me of a friend of mine who as a child had a piece of her ear burned off by a hair dresser who was trying to curl her hair. She refuses to let other people handle her hair to this day.

LongForLife
June 24th, 2008, 04:07 PM
A friend of mine has beautiful bright natural red hair. She used to perm it so that it had large cascading curls. While curled it was down past her waist. Well..... she went to get her hair permed as usual and it fried her hair! :eek:
She then wore it at a little above her shoulders and her hair was all dry and damaged. It took a few years for her to grow enough out to get rid of that dry poofy damaged hair. Needless to say, she will never get it permed again. That is why I will never go get a perm either!!