PDA

View Full Version : The longer my hair gets the less I like it.

morguebabe
June 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM
:(
Check the new picture I just added. The longer my hair gets, the less wavey, and full it is. It looks so thin and flat as of late. I'm thinking of cutting it back up to tail bone... and just adding very few layers in the front for some movement and to take off some weight.

Barniie
June 28th, 2010, 06:32 AM
I agree with your long layers idea, but don't go cutting off too much! Your hair is BEAUTIFUL xD

Fethenwen
June 28th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Woah! I thought at first you meant like cutting it back to apl or shoulder length to get some volume :p Well tailbone isn't that short, I'd say go for it :) Maybe as the previous poster said, you might not have to cut as much if you go for some layers.

jane53
June 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM
It's your choice, of course, morguebabe. I keep my hair trimmed and have had it past tailbone and as short as waist length. I find it annoys me by the time it gets to tailbone and waist feels too short. Hip length is my comfort length.

I have bangs to soften updos.

Whatever you decide, your hair looks beautiful!

Sammich
June 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I think your hair is wonderful the way it is! Really. :D Though it does seem to be less wavier and fuller than previous, hmm. On what day of washing was it?
If you really want to cut it to tail-bone, I guess that's fine. Still long by LHC standards! ;)

FrannyG
June 28th, 2010, 06:37 AM
There's no point in having really long hair if you're not enjoying it. Tailbone is still considered an extreme length.

Having said that, your hair looks so lovely as it is. Perhaps some long layers and a smaller trim to start?

jivete
June 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I am personally, a huge fan of hip to tailbone hair but not much longer than that. Your hair is beautiful no matter what, so I say go for what you feel best at.

jane53
June 28th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Me again. I just wanted to add that when my hair gets past tailbone, it bothers me so much that I convince myself I want to cut it ALL off.

A trim to hip length (my comfort length) does away with the short-hair fantasies.

I'd say cut it back to the last length where you felt it was a thickness and waviness that you liked. Which in your case would still be very, very long.

jasper
June 28th, 2010, 06:40 AM
All the pictures look pretty to me. Liking your hair is what it's all about, and a fresh cut can be a great feeling. The cut you got in January looks great.

Heavenly Locks
June 28th, 2010, 06:43 AM
If it's really ticking you off, have a trim and then evaluate :) You're supposed to like your hair!

myotislucifugus
June 28th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I don't know. I think it looks pretty as it is, but if you aren't happy, cut away!

DakarNick
June 28th, 2010, 06:47 AM
How many inches is tailbone on you? Or, in other words, how much length would you be taking off?

spidermom
June 28th, 2010, 06:50 AM
With hair as terrific as yours, you can't go wrong. Well, you could - like by shaving it off - haha. Anyway, one other thing to consider - perhaps it's the season and the weather making your hair more limp. Hot weather always makes my hair go limp, less wavy.

Anyway, tailbone is a good length, so don't hesitate to cut back. I've maintained at hip-tailbone for the past year because of needing to trim away inches worth of bad ends (but am growing on to classic length now).

Sunsailing
June 28th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Trim less than you are currently thinking now. You might be surprised that trimming just a couple of inches will really make a noticable difference to you.
You can always go back and have more trimmed off if you decide.

Capybara
June 28th, 2010, 07:25 AM
I think that, if cutting your hair would make you happier with it, go for it!
I really like the January picture, too. As well as the November 2005 one (I think it's around tailbone here?)

You have lovely hair :flower:

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Your hair really does look beautiful, but if you need a change, you could cut it in stages? As in, an inch or two, see how it feels, then a bit more if you want - until you feel comfortable?

On the waves front, if all else fails - braid waves?

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM
It looks so thin and flat as of late.

Have you clarified lately? Buildup or even the change of season might be contributing to the thin/flat look.

Anyway, like others have said, if you're not enjoying it, what's the point in having it?

I figure that the longest I'll go is probably tailbone, and I'm also fine with the idea of keeping it trimmed to waist or hip. (I'm already way past waist when pulled straight -- I'm talking about my "normal" length when my hair is in its usual boingy curly state.)

In other words, do what makes YOU happy! I do suggest every small trims at any one time, though.... it comes off a LOT easier than it grows back! ;)

freckles
June 28th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I'm with everyone else who suggests if you want to cut to do so in a series of small trims rather than a big chop. Personally, I think it's beautiful just as it is, but it's important that you love your hair, and if that means cutting, go for it :)

UltraBella
June 28th, 2010, 08:55 AM
I feel the same way !!! I think I like my hair best at waist length. There is just too much of it and it is a lot to deal with. I am contemplating cutting it. If you want to cut yours, go for it !

curlylocks85
June 28th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I have just looked at your pictures and I have to say that your hair although seems a bit straighter definitely does not looks thinner. Actually, I think it looks thicker. This is just my opinion. If you feel tailbone is a better length for yourself I fully support your decision. :)

Paniscus
June 28th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I completely understand where you are coming from, as I'm having the same issue. When my hair was shorter, it seemed more full, less tangly and just overall... I don't know, healthier?! It just seems so flat these days. I think the added weight and length does give this effect. I've seen other members cut shorter and regain the poof they were looking for.

However!

Your last picture is stunning! It may not be as full as you like, but from where I"m sitting, it looks beautiful. I guess this is when we have to decide what is more important to us: overall length or how our hair behaves. I have not cut yet, just biding my time. You have been a member for a long time, so you know the drill! Wait a bit and then maybe trim and see where you're at with your hair. If I were you, I'd hold off on the layers until I was absolutely sure. But this is coming from a woman who has never had any luck with layers. :(

No matter what you decide, you've got beautiful hair!

young&reckless
June 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Should not have looked at your photos, now I want purple highlights.

You hair is amazing!

Coffeebug
June 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I feel the same about mine.. it's just too long to be fun right now!

Loreley
June 28th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I'd be very happy if my hair sraightened. :p
I think you have gorgeous hair but if you really want to cut it do it with smaller trims.

lesbia
June 28th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I found your ends lovely!! but if you don't like ypur hair you MUST cut! :)

C_Bookworm
June 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM
You have absolutely beautiful hair. You should do what you can so that you enjoy it!

LoversLullaby
June 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
If you've tried everything else and are still not happy with your hair, I say go for it. You're supposed to like your hair! If you don't like it, there's no enjoyment. And TBL hair is still plenty long. :)

If it matters though, I find your hair now to be stunning. Doesn't look thin at all to me!

DakarNick
June 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I think I like my hair best at waist length. There is just too much of it and it is a lot to deal with. I am contemplating cutting it.

Noooo! Isn't it at waist length now?

morguebabe
June 28th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I will add, my newest pic IS after a hair cut/trim.

Deborah
June 28th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I say go for it! I don't like my hair past tailbone either. I don't know why exactly, but mine was just a couple of inches past tailbone, and I cut back to hip. It just feels better. :)

Dragon
June 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Your hair is wonderful the way it is. shame you want to cut it but if its going to make you happy, go for it. It really doesent look that thin, but thats just my opinion.

Cailie
June 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
cutting back to tailbone would look most fantastic ! (at least, to me)

do what feels right to you though

Jules diamond
June 28th, 2010, 10:14 PM
There's no use having length and being unhappy with it. I say cut if you'll like it better that way.

Also, I love the colours in your hair. How in the world did you do it?

morguebabe
June 29th, 2010, 06:54 AM
There's no use having length and being unhappy with it. I say cut if you'll like it better that way.

Also, I love the colours in your hair. How in the world did you do it?

bleach and special effects dye

DakarNick
June 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM
I will add, my newest pic IS after a hair cut/trim.

How many inches was that trim? Do you like it better now? Also, I agree with the other people saying you should cut it if you're not enjoying it. What's the point if you're not happy!?

Oskimosa
June 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I'm going to back up what everyone else is saying in that you must be happy with your hair! Maybe you found the length you want to maintain. From here on out, maybe you're not going to like being longer. If you've been thinking about it a while, trim a couple more inches at a time and see how you like it. If you miss the length, you can grow it back out, but chances are you'll be happy with the change, I think.

GoddesJourney
June 29th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Well, I like the two week rule, but I don't put it into practice. My rule is that if I feel like cutting off a lot, I start by cutting half the amount I think I want to cut and seeing if I'm happy with that. Anyway, tailbone is probably my favorite length. You have really wonderful hair and there's not reason why you can't enjoy it. Go ahead and cut it. If you decide it was a mistake, it's just hair and it will grow back (hopefully even better). A good thing to mention would be that people at longer lengths often have to maintain more than grow at certain lengths for the fullness of their hair to catch up with the length.

It also might be related to the weather.

Juneii
June 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hair grows, it's not a contest here for who has the longest hair :) if you like your hair fuller try some layers (I know that when I have layers my straight hair gets wavy for some reason) - and if you don't like it, grow out a again. Just don't go for extreme layers!

Yozhik
June 29th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Your hair is so pretty in all of your photos! I will say, though, that it's texture looks totally different in your June photo.

However, like a couple of members pointed out, it might be the weather.
I like the photos of you at TB, too, though, so if you feel like that might be a good change, go for it! :flower: