PDA

View Full Version : A New Bun!!

countryhopper
June 28th, 2010, 05:00 AM
One of my co-workers showed me this one. It looks like a sock bun in shape, but without the sock!

1) Make a ponytail with an elastic, but DO NOT pull all the way through the last time.

2) You should now have a half ponytail/chignon thing. Take each side of the loop, and bring them together to touch. Bobby pin them together and anchor to scalp

3) Wind remaining ponytail around the base of the bun.

DONE!! :cheese:

ETA: this bun can easily be done with shoulder length hair!

vanity_acefake
June 28th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Sounds great but i am confused. Step 2 has me lost. Could you explain it more or do pictures. I love new buns. Xxx

Savvyhorsez
June 28th, 2010, 06:55 AM
It sure does sound interesting, but I too can't figure it out.:)

countryhopper
June 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Oops! Sorry for the confusion! I don't have any pics :(, so I'll have to try again.

When your hair is in the folded ponytail, stick your thumb in the fold, one on each side and grasp the top of the fold with your other fingers. You are now going to bring the thumbs together underneath, which will fan out the hair. Pin.

Have you ever made or seen the way a wonton or tortellini has both corners come together at the middle? Same idea.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to be so confusing! :( It really is a simple bun. I'm making it sound more complicated than it is! A folded pony with wontoned ends.

pepperminttea
June 28th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I've seen similar buns on youtube, except with the half-ponytail fanned out and pinned at either side. Wish I'd known about those when I was at shoulder length!

Tiina
June 28th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Is this how it looks? :) I made it on the side the first time, for comfort reasons.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/kimbublog/IMG_0194.jpg

Sorry for the sad state of my hair, it's been oiled and is transitioning, and growing out layers, and growing out dye. A lot going on.:rolleyes:

Kome
June 28th, 2010, 08:40 AM
I still don't get it. I need videos to figure stuff out. Do you know the name of the bun so I can youtube it? :D

Sissy
June 28th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Is this how it looks? :) I made it on the side the first time, for comfort reasons.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/kimbublog/IMG_0194.jpg

Sorry for the sad state of my hair, it's been oiled and is transitioning, and growing out layers, and growing out dye. A lot going on.:rolleyes:

Hey, it looks great. It sounds like the OP's bun works best for shorter hair styles?

Tiina
June 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Hey, it looks great. It sounds like the OP's bun works best for shorter hair styles?

Thank you. I think it is best for around shoulderlenght hair. My own might be a bit too much on the coarse side for this bun, tho. It was hard to fan it out and keep the little bits from flying out. But for fine SL hair this should work very well and be easy to do.

lapushka
June 28th, 2010, 10:07 AM
That's what I used to do, but I'd put sticks through the loop created by the ponytail. It needs sticks on both sides, though. That way it covers your elastic.

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM
I think I might understand Step 2 now... at first I interpreted the "bring them together" to mean that you brought them together in the BACK, which didn't make any sense to me, because I envisioned the side of a donut stuck to the back of the head.

You take the left edge of the loop (not the left half, just some of the edge) and bring it towards the scalp, near the elastic, and then you do the same with the right edge, fanning out the hair in between to make a full "bun" effect.

What you end up with is a Slinky-like effect, where the the elastic is the red part and the scalp is the yellow part:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/slinky.jpg

Tiina
June 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I think I might understand Step 2 now... at first I interpreted the "bring them together" to mean that you brought them together in the BACK, which didn't make any sense to me, because I envisioned the side of a donut stuck to the back of the head.

You take the left edge of the loop (not the left half, just some of the edge) and bring it towards the scalp, near the elastic, and then you do the same with the right edge, fanning out the hair in between to make a full "bun" effect.

What you end up with is a Slinky-like effect, where the the elastic is the red part and the scalp is the yellow part:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/slinky.jpg

This is what I thought and tried too but reading the instructions again it seems the idea is to not bring the two sides of the 'slinky' to the scalp but above the elastic so the fan makes a full circle and becomes a full donutlike shape. I'd try again but my hair is really stubborn today.

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM
This is what I thought and tried too but reading the instructions again it seems the idea is to not bring the two sides of the 'slinky' to the scalp but above the elastic so the fan makes a full circle and becomes a full donutlike shape. I'd try again but my hair is really stubborn today.

Aha, that makes even more sense !

I'd offer to try it out, but my hair just does NOT cooperate with styles like this (or many other styles, for that matter! :rolleyes: ).

countryhopper
June 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Great bun, Tiina! I like how it turned out!

The slinky was a great example! Just keep pulling the slinky around, though, so it makes a complete circle. Althought the half circles looke nice, too! Very Asian-y looking :D

The co-worker that showed it to me has coarse waist length hair, she just wraps the leftover tail around the base several times, and only makes the pony fold a few inches long.

Loreley
June 29th, 2010, 01:01 AM
It's a great updo. Thanks for sharing! :)