PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide about my bangs/fringe!

whoanellie
June 27th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Okay, I'm just feeling complainy so forgive me.

I CANNOT decide what to do or not do about my bangs! Help! For background, I'm slowly working my way towards my first goal, APL, and I have blunt Bettie Page type bangs. I've had them on and off for probably about 8 years, way more on than off. I've tried growing them out a few times (including when I first joined LHC a couple of months ago), but I never make it. I never feel "me". I feel like my forehead looks too naked or something. :rolleyes:

I usually have kind of a vintage/retro aesthetic, which the bangs go along very nicely with. But as I fantasize about my hair growing longer, I'm starting to play with some other styles. I just discovered I can do a sock bun, which I love. But then I think... does this look completely ridiculous with bangs?! When my hair grows, am I going to look really weird having (hopefully, hee hee) fancy buns and these bangs? But if I grow them, am I going to look at myself in pics from the front and think I look weird?

I guess part of it is this weird feeling I have, like if I have really long hair eventually (I haven't had hair as long as BSL since high school, and longer than that since I was 7), it should ALL be long, you know? I don't know why I feel like this is the case. And I definitely feel more people around here don't have bangs than do. So it's a nagging feeling. I already know as it is, it would take a year and a half or more for me to grow them out, so I feel like I'm running out of time to decide because the longer I hem and haw, the longer the rest of my hair gets...

Anway I'll stop the rambling but .... help! I do like the bangs on me, but will they be weird if I grow to BSL? What about waist (which would probably be the longest I'd ever go)? Weird with updos? Not weird at all and someone needs to slap some sense into me? :p Keep choppin' or make a real commitment and grow 'em?!

Capybara
June 27th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I don't think that bangs look weird with long hair at all :) I have long side bangs, and find that they can actually soften up-do's and look very pretty.

Maybe, if you don't like how the blunt fringe works with longer hair, you could style it differently, or only grow out a little bit?

There is always the alternative of pinning it back ;)

Juneii
June 27th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Pff! That is silly, I think bangs make buns look softer and less severe - especially with my hair color and facial features. I don't get where people get the notion but bangs with long hair isn't weird :) if you like the bangs, keep it!
I have blunt bangs as well and considered letting it grow out, but I personally like the way it looks so there really wasn't a good reason why I should.

spidermom
June 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Plenty of people with long hair have bangs, so if it looks weird, at least you'll have a lot of company.

I like not having bangs because I can pull all my hair away from my face for things like yard work, and except for the shorter baby hairs, I'm not bothered by hair sticking to my sweaty face.

Tiina
June 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Well, you don't have to let them just lay there. You can put your bangs in pincurls when they are in the growing-out phase (which goes very well with the vintage/retro styles, esp. 20's to 50's looks) or pull them back with a comb. They can also make a nice "frame" for your face when they are longer depending on how they lay or how you style them. Some people can also find that their face is too exposed when wearing an updo so having bangs might lessen that feeling.

whoanellie
June 27th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Pff! That is silly, I think bangs make buns look softer and less severe - especially with my hair color and facial features. I don't get where people get the notion but bangs with long hair isn't weird :) if you like the bangs, keep it!
I have blunt bangs as well and considered letting it grow out, but I personally like the way it looks so there really wasn't a good reason why I should.

Me neither! It's one of those annoying nagging things that totally is irrelevant to other people and only applies to me, which makes it even sillier. I mean I have bangs for crying out loud, right? (And yours look very nice on you. :)

whoanellie
June 27th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Capybara, long side bangs and longer styles do look lovely with updos. I've never been able to do any other style of bang I'm satisfied with on me other than the short blunt kind unfortunately.

spidermom, I was out in the sun today and do admit I hate even having that much hair on my face in those moments.

Tiina, that's a good point about the pin curls, etc. I always used to want to grow my hair out to wear really great 40s styles, but I'm way more casual lately and don't see myself really doing that. :p I do wonder about the exposed part. I'm sooo used to not seeing my forehead, when I pull my hair back even with my hand I feel like, "Whoa, big forehead!" Though I don't feel exposed with the rest of my hair up at least.

jane53
June 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
I have long, hip length hair and short, blunt cut bangs. People compliment me on the combination frequently.

Side-swept bangs don't work with my hair, and I can't stand having hair hanging in my eyes.

whoanellie
June 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Wow, looks like you have lovely thick hair, too! :) (i.e. not noticeable that a big chunk of hair is not in your length,)

I do wonder how much more thick my hair would be if I grew my bangs. Everyone always said what wonderful and thick hair I had as a child when it was long.

As an adult and my hair has gotten wavier (or I've paid more attention to it), I've noticed the sides of my hair are wavier than the back and wonder if I'd get more curl if that much more of my hair was actually long, too.

jane53
June 27th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Wow, looks like you have lovely thick hair, too! :) (i.e. not noticeable that a big chunk of hair is not in your length,)

My hair doesn't seem thinner with bangs.

And another advantage of bangs: they soften updos and backdos. I didn't used to worry about that, but I got my bangs cut in my 30s and they've helped me keep looking younger than I am over the years.

Juneii
June 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
aww, thanks woahnellie :)
I agree with jane53, side swept bangs still gets in my face and it bothers me so much because it's not long enough to tuck behind my ear, but not short enough to stay out of the way. If I ever really need my bangs to be off of my face I just get those thick stretchy headbands and it does the trick.
For the most part my bangs don't take away much from my thickness, I have fairly thick hair so the loss isn't noticeable.

SandyStar
June 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I think bangs look adorable with long hair! Depending on your face shape, they frame the face very nicely.

I want bangs sometimes, but I can't get any good bangs with my hair. My hair is too thin in the front.

sneakybea
June 27th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I really think it's a matter of preference. I had bangs when I first grew my hair out---just kept trimming the bangs short while growing the rest. Then I grew my bangs out, mostly because I hadn't before, and I kept it that way for about ten years. But I wear my hair up so much that I really like having the bangs to soften the look.

One thing that was easier about not having bangs was the issue of trimming. My bangs need it a lot more than the rest of my hair, and there's also a lot more potential for looking dorky if I trim my bangs too short than the length. But there's also less recovery time for too short bangs, I find.

Themyst
June 27th, 2010, 10:14 PM
My hair is almost down to my knees and I have bangs. Since I wear my hair up mostly, it does make the look less severe. I prefer bangs on myself, definitely, but I think people look good either way with it.

whoanellie
June 28th, 2010, 10:44 AM
A good night's sleep didn't give me the answer. Maybe I hoped everyone would say "grow your bangs out!" and not have to worry about it. Decision made... :lol: