PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever met a LHC member in real life?

ibleedlipstick
June 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I was wondering if someone here has ever randomly met a fellow member in the real world, without planning of any sort. (Not trying to be creepy or suggest a meeting)

I'm a waitress, and I served this woman with the most beautiful, long white hair. It was amazingly healthy, and in a gorgeous braided updo. I have never seen hair that was so beautiful. It... glowed. I swear, its beauty deserves a thread of its own.

Anyway, I didn't say anything, because if this person wasn't an LHC member I probably would have seemed like a creeper. But it made me wonder what the chances of my meeting someone from here in real life are. Has anyone else met a member randomly?

And, because I have to, if you were at a certain, month-old newly reopened restaurant in Oregon that abbreviates to P.I., ordered coffee, and was waited on by a black haired woman whose hair was in a lazy wrap bun, you have the most spectacular hair I have ever seen, and I hope that when my hair goes gray, it is as luscious and healthy as yours is.

missjessiecakes
June 27th, 2010, 07:10 PM
No, well maybe usually I just ask and I've shoved some people in our direction. :D

JenniferNoel
June 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah once or twice. Ended up meeting someone at a concert venue who had an account on here, she brought it up actually. Haha. Fairly recent encounter.

amaiaisabella
June 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Nope, planned meetings only for this member. Met SimplyViki for dinner and drinks tonight, in fact :D

SimplyViki
June 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
LOL ditto what Amaia said. :p

dancingmegs
June 27th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I ran into a member at a festival once. I had met her before though, so I didn't just recognize the hair.

trolleypup
June 27th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I was wondering if someone here has ever randomly met a fellow member in the real world, without planning of any sort.
Yes. A couple or so. But then I am pretty high profile here, and I was pretty high profile in my old job (driving very distinctive streetcars in public service on a very visible line), so the chances aren't too bad.

Also had members recognize me from the real world when I joined here! And there are a few people I knew from other internet sites that were recognized.

I do answer to "Trolleypup" in real life, certainly more than to some diminutives of my real name...when I hear that, I know that I am not going to recognize who recognized me.

nowxisxforever
June 27th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I met Airmide on a bus once. I thought that was interesting, we'd never spoken before!

Magicknthenight
June 27th, 2010, 09:30 PM
No but i often wonder if people are on LHC when they have really nice/long hair!
Their was this car in front of us while we were sitting in traffic. This girl put her hair in..a french twist of sorts but left some ends out at the top. Then she used what looked like a...greenish Ficcare to secure it. I really wondered if she was a member then! I've never actually asked though. Other then compliments given and received we don't usually talk much about it! I know their are a few in the area though..

Rennire
June 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I'm about 90% sure that I have but I was too shy to mention it to her :( I didn't want to seem weird and also her hair was down and gorgeous while my hair was up and gross looking and I didn't want to draw attention to it!

AlleyKitten
June 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I met LittleOrca in a class we had together (that I had to drop :(). I had no idea she even lived in my town. I was hypnotized by her rainbow-banded caterpillar pigtails!

Loreley
June 28th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Unfortunately I haven't met any LHC members. I don't think I have much chance to meet one of you here. :p

James M
June 28th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I think it would be totally cool to randomly bump into someone you recognized through talking about hair on a forum! I've been active in other forums as well, but I've personally never met anyone from any of them.

julliams
June 28th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Not actually but I have mentioned the site to people and a few had heard of it (or said they had).

Nera
June 28th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Nahh... I think theres only few Dutchies here. The chances are extremely small.

Calista
June 28th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Back on the old boards we talked about finding a secret "code" to recognize each other. Something that could be said or done quite unobtrusively, which wouldn´t mean anything at all to an outsider, but if the other person really was an LHC member they would recognize it at once. I think it involved a scissor-like cutting motion with one hand and something else done with the other hand to negate the cutting thing. I don´t remember exactly, but it was hilarious! :D

James M
June 28th, 2010, 03:34 AM
LOL!!!

It's genius, one hand is ready to do some chop action, whilst the other does some rock action, destroying the scissors. If someone gets confused, you just explain to them you are a rock paper scissors enthusiast, and if they'd like, you could also whoop them at thumb war.

ButterCream
June 28th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Not that many from my country in here I think, that it will be likely I bump into them I think.
But I will do this:

Whenever I see pretty and long hair I will probably compliment them if it can be done naturally, like in the line of paying for groceries or something like that...
(" Just wanted to say your hair is so lovely":) )

NOT in a creepy way like...driving our car to a screechy stop in the middle of the highway, rolling down the window and pop out my head while waving with both arms to someone who happens to have long hair and shout...
" Hey you, your hair ROCK! Can I touch it??"
Lol...:D

Sunsailing
June 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM
If you think about it, the chances of members in the U.S.A. being in the same place at some point is pretty good. And the longer you've been a member, the higher that chance.
I'm sure that I've been in the same place as some members here, but I just haven't known it. I tend not to notice even family members when I'm out and about, so I'm probably not going to notice the back of people's heads :o .

I did have the pleasure of meeting a few members several years ago at a GM salon, but that was planned. I would have never recognized any of them out in public just passing by.

It does pass through my mind when we're traveling and I see some nice heads of long hair. But I'm too shy to say anything.
I'm sure we'll be traveling through some of your states on our trip out to Yellowstone this summer....I'll wave when we're passing through :waving:

Angela_Rose
June 28th, 2010, 07:30 AM
No random meetings here, either, which kind of bums me out. I've attended a meet (which was *awesome*) and met FiferStone, MagicCatt, ShelleyBean, Carrie_Ingalls, and Grace_Ingalls, plus I've gotten a few friends to join up, but I have yet to have a Surprise! I'm an LHCer! meeting. And I do make it a point to compliment pretty hair I see and then I start running my mouth about LHC... who knows, maybe I've gotten some strangers to show up around the boards.

Paniscus
June 28th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Sort of. I was at Cracker Barrel here once with my family and saw a woman from LHC that I recognized. I didnt' say anything to her, as she was with her family and I did not want to creep her out :-) Plus, I was not certain that it was her. When I got home, I sent her a message here at LHC, and yep, it was her! That was pretty cool actually, but wish I had said something now.

We've had threads like this before, with regard to being creepy in public asking about LHC. The question is always, "how do you go about it." Some have suggested a code word, something that you could say outloud that would not seem weird, but if the person was here at LHC, they would pick up on. Others have suggested being straightforward and honest.

If I had had the courage, and curlsgirl had been alone, I would have just asked her outright. It is a little difficult approaching a *stranger* about such a thing, because you never know what their reaction may be.

Calista
June 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
If you´re pretty certain who the other one is you could kind of murmur their screen name. If they are who you think they are, they are likely to respond in some way. If they aren´t - well, it wouldn´t mean anything to them. :shrug:

Medievalmaniac
June 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
No, but I would get a major kick out of that! And there are definitely several members I would love to meet and get to know IRL. Not much chance of it, alas, unless it's for an official meetup - at least, not where I live.

Siava
June 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Nah. I live out in the boonies and am fairly reclusive. The chances are miniscule.

Sammich
June 28th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Nah. I live out in the boonies and am fairly reclusive. The chances are miniscule.

Ditto to that. :)

SimplyViki
June 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM
If you´re pretty certain who the other one is you could kind of murmur their screen name. If they are who you think they are, they are likely to respond in some way. If they aren´t - well, it wouldn´t mean anything to them. :shrug:
That makes sense. Now, if you only remember them by their avatar or siggie, you're just out of luck!

NorthernDancer
June 28th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Me too. I don't think there are that many LHC'ers in WI, and none (that I know of) in my area.

There is the one woman that I see around town that I keep meaning to introduce myself to. She has this beautiful hip+ iii hair that is orange/red and every time I see her it's down with braid waves. I've seen her several times in the past few years, but I've never gotten up the courage to say something. :o

EdG
June 28th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I met heidi w years ago in real life. The surprise was meeting her again on LHC. :cheese:
Ed

Quixii
June 28th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Nope. I would love to at some point, though.
I think LHC needs to come up with some universal greeting we can say to someone who we think is potentially another member, without sounding like a whack-o if they're not.

Jules diamond
June 28th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I MAY have seen someone who was at a mall once. She was on a date though, so I didn't want to bother her. I kept following her, looking at her length (first time I'd ever seen knee in person). My friends were giving me the weirdest looks! lol

Kristin
June 28th, 2010, 11:17 PM
No, but every time a see someone with waist+ pretty hair, I want to compliment them and ask...I'm just too shy.:o It would be cool to meet an LHCer unexpectedly.

ibleedlipstick
June 28th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I know there is a long hair sighting thread, but I am too lazy to hunt it down tonight. Anyway, I was at a Dairy Queen drive through today, and there was this girl working at the window with this HUGE bun. I had my mom ask how long her hair is, and she shyly said that it was to her knees. I was in AWE. I didn't ask if she was an LHCer, because it would be a bit weird, and she was working. But anyway, it was fantastic, and I was instantly envious.

MissManda
June 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I've noticed other Oregonians here on the boards and I can't help but wonder if any of them live in my area. Considering the higher-than-average population of longhairs in my area, I'm surprised I haven't met anyone yet.

I'm too shy to message any of the Oregon people on the boards because I'm too shy and because I don't want to sound like I'm a creeper. They all seem to live in the northern part of the state, anyway.

It would be so awesome to meet someone by chance. I've seen a few people with lovely long hair in real life, but just don't have the courage to go up to them and compliment them.

Someday, someday....

kmoc123
June 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I would love to meet jjjlonghair, teazel and torrinpage!!

JenniferNoel
June 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Me too. I don't think there are that many LHC'ers in WI, and none (that I know of) in my area.

I live in WI at the moment and the more I notice, the less long hairs I see. So I'm really starting to agree with you on that. :p
Something in the air here. :shrug:

Yozhik
June 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Whenever I see a longhair, I wonder if they're on LHC, but I'm too shy to ask. Plus, my hair is at a very average, not very spectacular length, so I would feel strange.

Once I told some of my acquaintances I was on a "long hair care" forum, and they asked me why, because my hair wasn't long :(

I would like to go to a meet, though! :)

LoversLullaby
June 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I live in WI at the moment and the more I notice, the less long hairs I see. So I'm really starting to agree with you on that. :p
Something in the air here. :shrug:
I live in Wisconsin. :)

eresh
June 30th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Yes, I met some of the Dutch and Belgian ladies here.
And made cousin it photos with them ;-)

Elenna
June 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I live in a pretty big city, and sometimes I see someone with long hair and wonder if she or he is a member of LHC. Then reality hits, and I think not everyone with long hair belongs to LHC.

akka naeda
June 30th, 2010, 02:55 AM
No, I also seem to be doing other things when meets are on. I know there are a couple of people in Oxford, but I don't go to Oxford that often at the moment so the chances of me randomly seeing them/them seeing me are pretty well zero.

I know that the people with long hair (ladies in their 50s with hair classic and longer) I do see around here aren't LHC people, because not that many people are LHC members.

Pierre
June 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I know there are LHCers in this or an adjacent county, but I've never met them. Maybe they drive cars and I ride buses, so we don't meet.

I might have met Trolleypup when I was living in San Francisco, but I wasn't an LHCer then.

jane53
June 30th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Nope. I never have. I don't think anyone from the city I live in even posts here.

justgreen
June 30th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I've met:
LisaJaney
Unaspenser (and her younger sister)
Marajade

I feel that I already know:
Zule
Kimmy
Tessa
Neoma
and a few others :crush:

Siava
June 30th, 2010, 07:16 AM

There is the one woman that I see around town that I keep meaning to introduce myself to. She has this beautiful hip+ iii hair that is orange/red and every time I see her it's down with braid waves. I've seen her several times in the past few years, but I've never gotten up the courage to say something. :o

I hope you do get the courage some day. It could be the start of a beautiful friendship! :)

tinti
June 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Not that many from my country in here I think, that it will be likely I bump into them I think.
But I will do this:

Whenever I see pretty and long hair I will probably compliment them if it can be done naturally, like in the line of paying for groceries or something like that...

NOT in a creepy way like...driving our car to a screechy stop in the middle of the highway, rolling down the window and pop out my head while waving with both arms to someone who happens to have long hair and shout...

I think there's a few. Today I've seen you and one more :)

ButterCream
June 30th, 2010, 08:44 AM
But I will do this:

I think there's a few. Today I've seen you and one more :)

Lol, yes, we are indeed a few from Norway in this forum:D

But I have never met someone who are a member in this forum in real life, meaning I havent met you tinti or anybody else from Norway , on the streets of Oslo having a cup of coffee for example;)

A few here have gotten together with one or more forum members personally and had a cup of coffee and a meal together etc. But I haven`t done that since it is unlikely I will bump into anyone who is a member here out in the street.
:)

jenjen10
June 30th, 2010, 08:56 AM

I am in WI too!! :)

ArcticNights
June 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
But I will do this:

ROFLMAO :D

I never met someone that I know are on LHC, but hey I`ve not thought about that either.

I see people with long beautiful hair quite often in my city. I work with one longhair girl, and one who is totally with me on growing the hair long. She might also become a member here, as she was very positive when I told her about this place :)

Hi there, Tinti :-)

Torrin Paige
June 30th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I've never met anyone who recognized me from LHC (although I send people here all the time...lol), but I have met three who recognized me from You Tube. One lady recognized me when I voted, but only after I turned around to leave, and the others were two teenaged girls at the bookstore who were both sporting taped hair. They were giggly and adorable and very sweet, but I have to confess it was a bit of a surreal experience.

ArcticNights
June 30th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Torrin Paige, I love your videos on You Tube!

They are very helpful, and well made :)

Angeletti
June 30th, 2010, 10:08 AM
no I don't think there are any members around my area, but it would be nice to have someone with long hair like me to hang out with and talk about hair stuff, etc.

ButterCream
June 30th, 2010, 11:34 AM
ROFLMAO :D

You got a mental image, yes?? lol:D:p

I live in a more rural area, not even a town this, lol, so not that much longhaired gals around here...Don`t think there is a big chance of me bumping into anyone...
But that makes me more "special" when my hair can pah-leeeeease-hh be a little longer than just bsl...:eyebrows:

Grow hair, g.r.o.w.!:cheese:

Arriens
June 30th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Nahh... I think theres only few Dutchies here. The chances are extremely small.
Changes are small indeed. I never seen one.

grldollies
June 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I have not met anyone either!
Though I "promote" LHC, I usually pipe up some thing - if they situation is appropriate, encourage them to ck LHC out - all kinds of good stuff/info here - not just long hair!
If my daughter hears me - I get the roll-y eye thing from her! Moms are so embarrassing!
Have a Great Hair Day! - Gay : ) :puppykisses:

Fiferstone
June 30th, 2010, 04:43 PM
No random meetings here, either, which kind of bums me out. I've attended a meet (which was *awesome*) and met FiferStone, MagicCatt, ShelleyBean, Carrie_Ingalls, and Grace_Ingalls, plus I've gotten a few friends to join up, but I have yet to have a Surprise! I'm an LHCer! meeting. And I do make it a point to compliment pretty hair I see and then I start running my mouth about LHC... who knows, maybe I've gotten some strangers to show up around the boards.

What Angela_Rose said, I met several lovely LHCers at the Boston meet this spring (Angela_Rose, MagicCatt, ShellyBean, Carrie_Ingalls, Grace_Ingalls) but no random unscheduled meets or mini-meets in real life.

I'd love to meet EricTheGreat, JJLongHair, and Emichiee in real life someday...

Alun
June 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I've been to a few meets, but I've never run into anyone on this board by chance.

I did pass a member of the Men's Long Hair Hyperboard once while crossing the street in DC, but he didn't recognise me or notice me looking at him!!!

Bller
July 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM
If you say dutch are rare around here, call me when you see any other Romanian around please :) !

humble_knight
July 1st, 2010, 07:32 AM
If you say dutch are rare around here, call me when you see any other Romanian around please :) !

I'll knock on your virtual door around December, or early next year. Well, not me, but my floorlength-haired Romanian friend, whom I shall meet and hopefully persuade to join LHC :lol:

Bller
July 1st, 2010, 07:44 AM
I'll knock on your virtual door around December, or early next year. Well, not me, but my floorlength-haired Romanian friend, whom I shall meet and hopefully persuade to join LHC :lol:

You could as her from which region is she. You never know how small the world is :)

ArcticNights
July 1st, 2010, 07:52 AM

OMG... Floorlength....? :cheese:

Bller
July 1st, 2010, 08:28 AM
OMG... Floorlength....? :cheese:

Yeah, we have a few around here, they are quite famous in public, they even been to public television.

I guess Humble_Knight must know one of them.
Here is a video of them right here. It`s Romanian TV, so if you need any translation feel free to ask :

http://www.filebox.ro/video/play_video.php?key=eayd8cvscx19fh5c

Islandgrrl
July 1st, 2010, 10:53 AM
Never a chance encounter that I'm aware of. I've only met other LHCers through arranged meets.

I live in an out of the way kind of place and it surprises the heck out of me that at least 3 other members live here, too.