PDA

View Full Version : Losing hair/balding-for real

x0h_bother
June 27th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I am 24 years old and I have been shedding since February.
Now I have bald patches around my temples, above both ears, at my nape, and throughout my hair making my parts huge and hairline spotty.
I am anemic, I have dandruff and had been testing out non-pyrithione zinc shampoos. I am also under some stress, and I touch my hair all the time.
However, I have noticed that when I touch my hair I no longer feel a *tug* at the roots. The hair is falling out very easily no manhandling needed.
I am not flat ironing any more, but if I was..eep. I wonder how much hair I would have left.
Losing at least 10-20 hairs every shower and the same when combing.
I give up..I am switching back to pyrithione zinc shampoo, going out and buying minidoxil, going to my DR, and taking vitamins. :(

Loreley
June 27th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry. :grouphug: I hope your problem will be solved soon.

Ivy~Rose
June 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Aw :grouphug: I'm so sorry this is such a rough time for you!

I agree, going to the doctor is a good idea. There's a host of medical problems, thyroid issues come to mind, that have warning signs of hair loss.

I've also heard from around the forum that many women have a major shed in their 20s--maybe that's all this is. Who knows, at this point! The fact that you no longer feel that tug is a red flag for me, though.

I know you're not really asking for advice, but I've noticed that when I bun my hair in just a nautilus bun, it holds all day and I'm a lot less likely to touch it--and I also don't shed all over the place. Maybe that would help control the shed? When my hair's down or in a pony, I leave hairs everywhere :p

Sending good thoughts your way! :blossom:

jera
June 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Losing 10 to 20 hairs isn't bad. 50 - 100 a day can be normal for some people. Your hair looks really thick in your pics. So it's not very obvious yet to others. If you know you're anemic please tell your doctor to check your ferritin levels to make sure they're normal and take your prescribed iron supplements. Also, have your doctor check your thyroid and hormones.
Do you eat enough protein in your diet? Lack of protein can also cause hair loss. Please don't worry too much about this as it will only exacerbate your hair loss. I know that's easily said when I'm not the one who's shedding, but just the same it does matter.

TrudieCat
June 27th, 2010, 03:28 PM
It sounds like going to see your doctor is a good idea, especially since this is a pretty recent & pretty big change that you've noticed. Best wishes and hugs to you!! :grouphug:

x0h_bother
June 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Losing 10 to 20 hairs isn't bad. 50 - 100 a day can be normal for some people. Your hair looks really thick in your pics. So it's not very obvious yet to others. If you know you're anemic please tell your doctor to check your ferritin levels to make sure they're normal and take your prescribed iron supplements. Also, have your doctor check your thyroid and hormones.
Do you eat enough protein in your diet? Lack of protein can also cause hair loss. Please don't worry too much about this as it will only exacerbate your hair loss. I know that's easily said when I'm not the one who's shedding, but just the same it does matter.
I am losing 20-40 in the bathroom alone, so those are the only ones I count, not counting all the ones that fall out during the day and I really don't count the ones in my brush or in my shower drain, just the ones I see on my hands.
I know I am anemic, I have been diagnosed by my MD. I just don't take the iron supplements and I don't eat red meat.
I would love to be checked for thyroid issues because I have had a sinking suspicion, thank you for the suggestion.
Thank you all for the hugs, I need them!
And I always said that God gave me 2 heads of hair, one set like everyone else and a second set to display my problems either physically or mentally. Everything shows up in my hair.

kwaniesiam
June 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Start taking your iron and start eating red meat, it will definitely help. Also have your thyroid checked. I've suffered a lot of hairloss from thyroid and low iron related problems. I had to give up being a vegetarian but my health is overall better now from it. If you can't tolerate the iron supplement ask your doctor about getting an IV instead. I can't take the pills, they wreck havoc on my digestive system so I opt for an IV once every 3 months and it has helped tremendously.

Good luck :grouphug:

Toadstool
June 27th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Iwas anaemic enough that I almost had a blood transfusion and after I took iron and ate eggs and fish (but no meat) for a month my blood levels were back to normal.
Sorry you are going through this.

Jammy
June 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I went through the same thing. I was really stressed and couldn't stop running my hands through my hair and playing with it unconsciously. It turned out I was pulling my hair out (not roughly or anything) without noticing it. As soon as I improved my sleep and nutrition and wrote "NO" on my hand to remind myself not to touch it everything was fine!

I'm not sure if we share the same problem but good luck and I am sorry to hear about your troubles!

x0h_bother
June 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM
kwaniesiam- I would love to get an IV, my dad and I joke about it but I didn't know there was some validity to the jokes.
toadstool-that is good to hear about your diet, I'm off to go look up how much iron is in an egg..
Jammy- I also try some CBT-like techniques to stop touching my hair..I'm pretty much resigned to some playing with it :(

MsBubbles
June 27th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Oh please do start taking the iron supplements. You have to take them with food or else you'll feel like barfing.

pinkrice
June 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I hope things go well for you! Try to relax and have faith in getting things medically sorted out. Stress will only make things worse. I haven't lost hair from stress, but I know it wreaks havoc on my digestive system. Stress can be very destructive, but see if you can up the protein and make sure your anemia's under control too.

Good luck!!!:heart:

x0h_bother
June 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Oh please do start taking the iron supplements. You have to take them with food or else you'll feel like barfing.
You read my mind MsBubbles, I've been taking a vitamin with iron and I get an upset stomach every time. Today I took it right after eating a lottt and it helped, but if I eat a little it still makes me sick.
Here are some pics of my loss, I oiled my hair today.
http://i46.tinypic.com/v6rbrb.jpg
The hairline recession
http://i50.tinypic.com/2yy60q0.jpg
The recession by my ears, see the straight long hairs from where my hairline picks back up, all prior has receeded.
http://i45.tinypic.com/28wkzo8.jpg
Nape recession bottom left of nape, see the diffuse balding in the patch on the right, scalp poking through. That is pretty much all over my head.
:(

Cailie
June 27th, 2010, 09:11 PM
I'm sending lots of good thoughts and courage your way :(
So sorry to hear what is happening, take care of yourself

SandyStar
June 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Sorry your hair is thinning. I'm kind of worried that mine is too, but I can't tell if it was always thin at the temples.

Low iron can definitely cause hair loss. I would talk to your doctor about taking an iron supplement. A general multivitamin probably wouldn't hurt either.

Red meat is good for iron.

If it's any consolation, your hair looks great in your pictures and it doesn't look thin at all.

Oh I just saw your updated photos. Your temple area looks like mine. Try not to worry so much, stress can make things worse.

Hugs

ibleedlipstick
June 27th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm sorry to thread-jack, but I was actually planning on posting the same thing. I am 18 years old, and I have been losing hair since January. I have a super thin spot where my part would be, and intermittent thin spots all over my scalp. I have been vegetarian since April, but have never really liked meat. I have no idea why I'm losing hair, because I have never had a problem with it- I have always had super thick hair. And I know that it isn't super noticeable to others yet- although my mom, who doesn't pay any attention whatsoever to my hair, has mentioned that my hair is thinning and I'm getting a little bald spot.

So if you figure it out, will you let me know? I would love to know what is wrong. I really hate doctors, so I would like to avoid anything like that if at all possible.

McFearless
June 27th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Im sorry to hear babe.

Have you tried ditching that shampoo and oiling your scalp instead? Do you have true dandruff or an irritated scalp? Sometimes those shampoos can dry your scalp out further.

Im dealing with an extremely thin hairline so I kind of understand how you feel. Im shedding a lot also.. So far I meditate for about 20 minutes a day. I think you should look into that. Its easy and helps manage stress. Also a teaspoon of blackstrap molasses should help. I mix it into a glass of warm water with some lemon when I wake up. It has a lot of vitamins and iron. Im anemic also so this helps me. Best of luck:blossom:

urara12
June 28th, 2010, 01:07 AM
I am sorry to hear that...
I would strongly recommend to see Dermatologist.my hair shed a lot since last year. I went to see many Dermatologist and finaly find out that I was reacting with ingredient (hair care include hair dye)
I hope your conditione get better soon.

Melisande
June 28th, 2010, 01:14 AM
I had horrible shedding after a hormonal treatment, about five years ago. When I found the boards, my hair was already recovering, but I discovered that the massage treatment with essential oils really, really helped. There is a huge thread somewhere, I'm off to look for it now.

Take your iron, take also MSM, fish oil, multi vitamin. Have your thyroid checked. Eat well - lean protein, good carbs, healthy oils. Get enough sleep. Learn to de-stress and relax - an ongoing work for me, too! But SO worth it.

Oil your scalp, keep your hands off your hair - updos really help. A nice, stable updo with a good hairtoy is the best reason to keep your hands off your hair. I had a nervous habit of playing with my hair but as soon as I have the hair bunned or braidbunned, I leave it alone.

Don't worry too much. Our body fluctuates. Let it bounce back. It takes time but you will see a change for the better, I'm sure. I believed that my hair would not grow back but it did.

And implement as many good hair habits as you can. Dilute your shampoo, comb carefully, treat your hair like very precious old lace, sleep on silk or satin, never rub or scrub your hair.

jera
June 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Start taking your iron and start eating red meat, it will definitely help. Also have your thyroid checked. I've suffered a lot of hairloss from thyroid and low iron related problems. I had to give up being a vegetarian but my health is overall better now from it. If you can't tolerate the iron supplement ask your doctor about getting an IV instead. I can't take the pills, they wreck havoc on my digestive system so I opt for an IV once every 3 months and it has helped tremendously.

Good luck :grouphug:

I agree with you kwaniesiam. I got terrible shedding from iron defiency anemia and lots pounds of hair from it. I was vegetarian at the time and a heavy menstrual bleeder. Bad combination. :o My physician told me to eat red meat and take ferrous sulfate supplements. Combined, this got rid of the problem. Red meat is a great source of protein too.

You read my mind MsBubbles, I've been taking a vitamin with iron and I get an upset stomach every time. Today I took it right after eating a lottt and it helped, but if I eat a little it still makes me sick.
Here are some pics of my loss, I oiled my hair today.
http://i46.tinypic.com/v6rbrb.jpg
The hairline recession
http://i50.tinypic.com/2yy60q0.jpg
The recession by my ears, see the straight long hairs from where my hairline picks back up, all prior has receeded.
http://i45.tinypic.com/28wkzo8.jpg
Nape recession bottom left of nape, see the diffuse balding in the patch on the right, scalp poking through. That is pretty much all over my head.
:(

Aw, Hugs. The skin behind my ears is bare too, but it may always have been this way for all I know. Are you sure this is a recent change? Sometimes when we experience shedding we start to see thin or bare spots we never noticed before but they may have always been there. I mean, how many times do you inspect the skin behind your ears or the condition of your nape hair? :rolleyes:

Your earrings are gorgeous, BTW. :)

littleflowerr
June 28th, 2010, 01:32 AM
:hmm:Thats strange because i've been shedding the past few months, especially in the shower, i'll just put them on my shower curtain and count about 20-30 :mad: and then i get some when i brush and just throughout the day. I am 20 and well i've been undergoing a lot of stress lately, i'm sure thats one of the main causes.. and i haven't been sleeping right! i need to start having a better sleeping pattern. For the most part, i eat very healthy! :D... i've had DR check up a month ago... no problems... nada nothingg!! just stress:( i become more stressed just seeing my hair shed SO much.

*hugs* i hope things get better for you! i'm right there with ya. We'll get through it!

squiggyflop
June 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM
um well i do hope you can get to the doctor soon.. sometimes hair issues can be an early symptom of something big and bad..

hmmmm hearing of your dandruff reminds me of something i have experienced which caused me to shed like crazy and lose a half inch pony circumference.. i cured the problem with monistat..(view monistat thread).. my hair started growing back right away.. perhaps you could try it.. (it couldnt hurt right) it might be the same problem i had..

eta: i dont want to sound rude but your hair seems to be growing very slow.. (checked out your profile).. slow growth was also a symptom of mine before i cured my scalp with monistat.. so if you do try monistat dont be surprised if your hair starts growing much much faster as i suspect you have the same thing i had.. my growth picked up dramatically after monistat cured the fungal infection.. (often the cause of dandruff in fungus).. oh and i was thinning in the same areas as you said you were thinning in.. which further convinces me that you have a fungal infection the same as i did

spidermom
June 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM
It sounds like you know what you need to do, so follow through. I hope you reach resolution of this problem very soon, and happy growing!

Purdy Bear
June 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Im so sorry you have to go through this, I know exactly how you feel, Im an Alopecian.

I would get yourself checked out with the Dr if you havent already done so, hair loss can be caused by a huge list of problems which can be easily solved. Anaemia, thyroid, bad circulation, POS, malnutrition, malabsorption etc are just a few, and thats without self pulling and Alopecia.

On average we loose 50-100 hairs per day thats quite natural, so anything more then that, or as you say loosing it in patches needs to been seen by a medical professional.

I would keep a food and drink diary just incase you are lacking in anything, the Dr will be able to check this out pretty quickly.

I would also be careful how you wear your hair, tight pony tails and updos can cause traction Alopecia, once not worn the hair will regrow.

I hope your hair grows back quickly.

x0h_bother
June 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
:hmm:Thats strange because i've been shedding the past few months, especially in the shower, i'll just put them on my shower curtain and count about 20-30 :mad: and then i get some when i brush and just throughout the day. I am 20 and well i've been undergoing a lot of stress lately, i'm sure thats one of the main causes.. and i haven't been sleeping right! i need to start having a better sleeping pattern. For the most part, i eat very healthy! :D... i've had DR check up a month ago... no problems... nada nothingg!! just stress:( i become more stressed just seeing my hair shed SO much.

*hugs* i hope things get better for you! i'm right there with ya. We'll get through it!
Thanks, I decided not to go to the MD because of my list of problems I can try to cure on my own, and like you said sometimes it's stress. I will eventually go get labs done this year though. Thanks for the encouragement- I hope your shedding gets better too.

um well i do hope you can get to the doctor soon.. sometimes hair issues can be an early symptom of something big and bad..

hmmmm hearing of your dandruff reminds me of something i have experienced which caused me to shed like crazy and lose a half inch pony circumference.. i cured the problem with monistat..(view monistat thread).. my hair started growing back right away.. perhaps you could try it.. (it couldnt hurt right) it might be the same problem i had..

eta: i dont want to sound rude but your hair seems to be growing very slow.. (checked out your profile).. slow growth was also a symptom of mine before i cured my scalp with monistat.. so if you do try monistat dont be surprised if your hair starts growing much much faster as i suspect you have the same thing i had.. my growth picked up dramatically after monistat cured the fungal infection.. (often the cause of dandruff in fungus).. oh and i was thinning in the same areas as you said you were thinning in.. which further convinces me that you have a fungal infection the same as i did
I really want to try monistat, I've read the thread, but any "azole" is sure to work IMO, so I am going to buy some Nizoral (ketaconazole.) I agree that much of the shedding has to due with messing with my scalp. :( I hope mine clears up like yours did. And I agree about my hair not growing fast or at all. Thanks for the advice.

squiggyflop
June 28th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I really want to try monistat, I've read the thread, but any "azole" is sure to work IMO, so I am going to buy some Nizoral (ketaconazole.) I agree that much of the shedding has to due with messing with my scalp. :( I hope mine clears up like yours did. And I agree about my hair not growing fast or at all. Thanks for the advice.
goodluck.. Nizoral did nothing to clear up what i had.. hope it works for you as monistat is pretty heavy duty and could be overkill on some infections.. i guess my fungal infection was just too resiliant for the nizoral.. but yours might just clear up with the stuff.. most people wouldnt even need the extra power of straight monistat (4% so it was very strong) to clear it up.. lets face it most things can be cured with the weak diluted wash out stuff in NIzoral..

anyway hope it works for you.. goodluck for a healthy scalp and fast growth!:)

x0h_bother
June 28th, 2010, 01:50 PM
goodluck.. Nizoral did nothing to clear up what i had.. hope it works for you as monistat is pretty heavy duty and could be overkill on some infections.. i guess my fungal infection was just too resiliant for the nizoral.. but yours might just clear up with the stuff.. most people wouldnt even need the extra power of straight monistat (4% so it was very strong) to clear it up.. lets face it most things can be cured with the weak diluted wash out stuff in NIzoral..

anyway hope it works for you.. goodluck for a healthy scalp and fast growth!:)
I'm also going to look for Monistat at home, but if I don't have any I'll start with the Nizoral. I talked to my dad, a pharmacist, about both and he said that Ketaconazole shampoo was for dandruff "worse" than mine and was suprised I was considering it. Who knows, with my luck neither will work, but I will update here or in the Monistat thread.

Unofficial_Rose
June 28th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm sorry to thread-jack, but I was actually planning on posting the same thing. I am 18 years old, and I have been losing hair since January. I have a super thin spot where my part would be, and intermittent thin spots all over my scalp. I have been vegetarian since April, but have never really liked meat. I have no idea why I'm losing hair, because I have never had a problem with it- I have always had super thick hair. And I know that it isn't super noticeable to others yet- although my mom, who doesn't pay any attention whatsoever to my hair, has mentioned that my hair is thinning and I'm getting a little bald spot.

So if you figure it out, will you let me know? I would love to know what is wrong. I really hate doctors, so I would like to avoid anything like that if at all possible.

I'd third or fourth the suggestion that it's lack of iron. I had a recent massive shed that stopped entirely when I went onto an additional iron tonic (on top of my multivitamin, which claims to provide 100% of daily RDA of iron). Some of us need lots of iron, either because our systems don't absorb it that well, or have heavy periods (or both).

Can't comment on the thyroid as I don't know of anyone IRL who's had thyroid problems.

HotRag
June 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Oh, hugs. :blossom:

Iron deficiency can for sure cause hair loss.

Have you tried other supplements? Instead of the usual Fe2+, try "hem iron" (hope that's the word in English). Also, combine with vitamine C (ascorb acid) may help against upset stomach and increases the uptake.

You may also get injections or infusions from your doctor.

Also try find the cause of the iron deficiency. It MAY be due to thyroid problems, but women can have iron deficiency anyway, with no underlying disease.

I am not anemic, but was "low but within range" of ferritin and S-iron (iron storage and free iron in blood). I have eaten 5 times the recommended iron doses for 9 months, and has just gone up a bit. I take hem iron and liquid herbal iron supplements. A doctors checks my blood now and then to see if I go up.

Red meat is a good source for hem iron.

EDIT: Both iron deficiency and thyroid problem can cause hair to grow slow. But it may also be due to season or something else. Thyroid and almost "everything", can give dandruffs.

x0h_bother
June 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM

You're not jacking the thread, I'm glad I'm not alone and I will definately report back on any progress from changes.

Im so sorry you have to go through this, I know exactly how you feel, Im an Alopecian.

I'm sorry to hear, I have a family friend who is also an Alopecian. I did wonder if this happened to me (I wouldn't put it past my body to have autoimmune concerns.) But I don't think this is the case.

Oh, hugs. :blossom:

Iron deficiency can for sure cause hair loss.

Have you tried other supplements? Instead of the usual Fe2+, try "hem iron" (hope that's the word in English). Also, combine with vitamine C (ascorb acid) may help against upset stomach and increases the uptake.

You may also get injections or infusions from your doctor.

Also try find the cause of the iron deficiency. It MAY be due to thyroid problems, but women can have iron deficiency anyway, with no underlying disease.

I am not anemic, but was "low but within range" of ferritin and S-iron (iron storage and free iron in blood). I have eaten 5 times the recommended iron doses for 9 months, and has just gone up a bit. I take hem iron and liquid herbal iron supplements. A doctors checks my blood now and then to see if I go up.

Red meat is a good source for hem iron.

EDIT: Both iron deficiency and thyroid problem can cause hair to grow slow. But it may also be due to season or something else. Thyroid and almost "everything", can give dandruffs.
You know, Hem iron should be what they put me on, but they didn't at the time I was diagnosed, they put me on Fe. And what you cite, how the lab numbers climb slowly, that's the issue I had in taking iron supplements. I was like, in some ways, what's the point in such slow "growth"?
But I'm now taking a multivite with 100% DV and then around my period I have taken and will take on top of it some regular iron tabs, so 250% at that time.
Thank you all for the support! I am lucky to be in such a caring community.

SlightlySoprano
June 28th, 2010, 09:24 PM
ugh the same thing happened to me at 19. I went from being probably between a ii and a iii to now being a baaaaarely ii. I went to the doctor today and got blood taken. I have to call them Wednesday to get results.

I suggest:

do not wait and go to your doctor. They can tell you if its a fungal infection or a hormonal imbalance or a vitamin deficiency FOR SURE.

I regret waiting as long as I did!

x0h_bother
June 28th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Aw, Hugs. The skin behind my ears is bare too, but it may always have been this way for all I know. Are you sure this is a recent change? Sometimes when we experience shedding we start to see thin or bare spots we never noticed before but they may have always been there. I mean, how many times do you inspect the skin behind your ears or the condition of your nape hair? :rolleyes:

Your earrings are gorgeous, BTW. :)
True about noticing more.
And thanks, my friend made them!
:)

Darkhorse1
June 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM
It's the anemia--that causes hair loss, as well as your stress. Once you get your anemia under control/level, you will have new hair growth. I lost a ton of hair due to stress, and you have to lose 50% of your entire head of hair to start showing it. Mine never showed, thankgod, and from the fist fulls I was picking up daily, it was sooo upsetting. Good news, it grows back.

Dandruff plus stress was my culprit--and it was painful dandruff. I would consult a Dr to see if you can get a stronger medicated shampoo, though Nizoral works well, I tend to stick to Head and Shoulders right now when it's just mild. Severe outbreaks need stronger stuff.

Hugs to you!!

x0h_bother
June 29th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks DarkHorse1 I also am using the head and shoulders daily, and then I'm going to try using the stronger products to boost my scalp health.
You know, now that I think of it, since I began growing my hair 3 years ago from SL (shock and awe sounds are welcome) I have not gotten much growth and people who trim more than I was were growing longer. I have been anemic throughout that time, and I never considered how the anemia could have affected the slow growth. I always blamed it (somehow) on the heat styling, but now that I have stopped...well you all have noted how slow the growth has been.
x0

Toadstool
June 29th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Oh yes, you need to take Vitamin C at the same time to absorb iron, I had a satsuma or glass of orange juice with every meal.:)

kabelaced
June 29th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Just putting this out there in case you don't want to eat red meat...dark green veggies, if I remember right, contain iron. I put spinach into everything to get an extra boost - spinach in my omelette, spinach in my pasta, in my curry, in quesadillas...:P (partly because it comes in such bulk around here and I'm the only one who eats it and doesn't want it to go bad! Haha.)

There are a lot of good non-meat sources (http://www.vegsoc.org/info/iron.html) of iron! Give them a try if you want a cheaper, lighter option, and if you don't take one already, try a complete multi. Also, taking vitamin C and iron supps at the same time really does help with absorption - I donate blood every 8 weeks, and the attendants recommended that once when I took supplements but my levels still weren't high enough. There are some foods with vitamins that block iron absorption (I think Vitamin D blocks it, if I remember right).

Hang in there, and try not to let the stress of losing hair add on to your pre-existing stress! :(

Anje
June 29th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Also, if you're vegetarian, make sure you supplement on vitamin B12. It's also needed to absorb iron, and I think it's only available from laboratory and animal sources.

Angelica
June 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
You didn't actually say you were vegetarian did you? Just that you didn't eat red meat. Well I was always told grapefruit contains iron, dried fruit such as raisins contain iron and plain dark chocolate. Iron tablets can cause constipation though, so possibly you would benefit from a multi-vitatmin with some iron in it. Drinking tea with any food containing iron, destroys the iron content, but vitamin c helps to absorb it.

You are not prone to pulling at your hair are you as well? This wasn't clear from your original post. If you are that is what could be the problem as well.

Your hair is beautiful in the photographs. Good luck, I hope your condition improve soon :)

x0h_bother
June 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I'm taking One a Day Teen Advantage for Her (ingredients here under 'for her') http://oneaday.com/teen_advantage.html
I really like the nutrition facts in the supplement- 200% of Vit C, 150% of B12, 100% iron, 100% folic, and 100% biotin. It does make me sick if I don't eat a big meal before it, but I really think this vitamin will help.

x0h_bother
July 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Just an update:
Only 6 hairs in the shower today. I've been using H&S poo daily now, and have been taking the vitamin I mention above for anemia. But now it's that time of the month :rolleyes: I can never win with anemia.
Lots of daily shedding though :( But the shower was better.

whoanellie
July 1st, 2010, 07:34 PM
That's good news about less hairs in the shower! It sounds like you have some idea of what might be the cause and what you can do about it now. I'd definitely agree it's a good idea to investigate food sources of iron (other than red meat).

Bytebak
September 30th, 2010, 12:36 PM
broccoli and brussels sprouts are alternatives to spinach.

x0h_bother
September 30th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks! I don't mind either of those. :)

Culdayne
September 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I feel for you! I have always struggled with low iron, even when I ate meat, and red meat at that. I just don't store it well. I take supplements now. If it is an iron issue - once your iron stores are built up, that shedding should decrease and you'll notice faster growth, too!!

Ludde
October 1st, 2010, 03:30 AM
High level of stress and a very food-low diet has made me loose hair and given me bald spots in periods. We also have a heredited baldness in my family so the fact that bald spots arrive adds stress. But a balanced nutrition and vitamin level seems to affect it more than anything else, iron not the least. Is your body able to process iron properly? If the level is too low it may difficult to eat enough to fill up.

I am very happy for you to hear of your positive progress. There are some nice offside benefits for ones health when one starts to focus on a better hair, it seems. :) I still seldom remember to take vitamines for my own sake but as i try to give my hair a solid growth; voila ..

MonaMayfair
October 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM

But do get your thyroid checked out, as both those vegetables (along with various other foods especially soya) affect your thyroid - if you've got an underactive thyroid like I have, eating those things will make it MORE underactive, they depress the thyroid even further.

I've lost loads of hair in the last few years because of the thyroid (and I'm shedding horribly right now because I came off the pill nine weeks ago!) So I know how you feel!

x0h_bother
October 1st, 2010, 08:15 PM
My MD ordered a thyroid test today- yay! i didn't even tell her about the hair loss, it was based on my nutrition/weight. So will keep posted.

pepperminttea
October 1st, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hoping it's nothing serious. :grouphug:

x0h_bother
March 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Sorry for the long pause. Thyroid test came back normal. I probably freaked over seasonal shedding in combo with the usual poor diet/iron.

lillyofthecelts
March 2nd, 2011, 09:15 PM
I had a period of about a year where I was losing alot of hair every time I showered. It was a small ball of hair each time, which made me panic enough to visit the DR. Here are some changes he recommended which may help you too, but I'd go by what your own DR says!

~I had anemia; I am a vegetarian and would get very low levels around "that" time of the month. The major way your get low iron levels are 1) you bleed 2)you don't get enough in diet and 3) your body has trouble recycling it/ storing it/ using it. So my DR recommended daily iron supplements, but I'm careful, as with everything, not to take too much.

~I was dying my hair alot, blow drying, and using harsh products. I stopped cold turkey on everything except organic non-cone non-sulfate shampoo & conditioner, and organic coconut oils.

~I am vegetarian, so I started taking gelatin tablets, drinking protein drinks, and paid attention to general nutrition. Again, I'm careful not to overdo it, because protein converts to 4 calories per gram (fat is 9 calories per gram, so excess of protein at 4 cal per gram can be fattening when taken in vast quantities)

~I take B-12 vitamin supplements in correct amounts daily because B-12 is only found in food from animals, not in plant-based food. B-12 is very important to non-meat eaters! Severe deficiency can cause anemia, dementia, metabolism problems, balance issues, memory loss, and general havoc on your body! Some people even need injections if the problem comes from their inability to absorb B-12.

After doing all of the above, my hair looks alot healthier, and I haven't seen any balls of hair! I think I'm down to maybe 3-5 hairs that I see come out when showering, and less when I [very gently] comb. Its only been a few months since I made all of these changes, so the top of my head still looks thin. I hope it will fill in over time though. I hope you can get some answers from your DR. Hang in there!

lillyofthecelts
March 2nd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Ohone more thing: x0h bother, did you try the monistat? Did it have any effect on your hair?

Darkhorse1
March 2nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
If you are anemic, you may need more iron that a supplament can't give. Problem is, Iron can make the hardest of stomach nauseated. The best is to try to find food sources with high iron. I think raw almonds are high in iron....or protein. ;) I know spinach is ideal and I found when I was feeling low in iron, I went to spinach salads and wow--what a difference! But, I don't suffer the way you do.

The issue with hair loss and dandruff will take a bit of time to balance out, but it's more the stress that triggers dandruff which can trigger hair loss.

x0h_bother
March 3rd, 2011, 07:46 AM
Ohone more thing: x0h bother, did you try the monistat? Did it have any effect on your hair?
I tried the 2% mineral oil one twice and it gave me headaches but I didn't try it diluted.
Thanks for your response, I have changed my diet to up the protein and other healthy foods which hopefully has been helping iron.
If you are anemic, you may need more iron that a supplament can't give. Problem is, Iron can make the hardest of stomach nauseated. The best is to try to find food sources with high iron. I think raw almonds are high in iron....or protein. ;) I know spinach is ideal and I found when I was feeling low in iron, I went to spinach salads and wow--what a difference! But, I don't suffer the way you do.

The issue with hair loss and dandruff will take a bit of time to balance out, but it's more the stress that triggers dandruff which can trigger hair loss.
You're right, I can't stomach the pills. I think when stressed it is hard to eat right too, so that doesn't help.

Zarah
March 3rd, 2011, 12:54 PM
I am so sorry. Hugs.

May I suggest you take Floradix liquid iron if you're anemic? It's the best, bc it wont constipate you either. I noticed that when I started taking it my undereyes looks clearer. No more dark circles.

I hope you find a cure. Good luck.

CarpeDM
March 3rd, 2011, 01:27 PM
Sending you lots of hugs :grouphug:

Toadstool
March 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I am so sorry. Hugs.

May I suggest you take Floradix liquid iron if you're anemic? It's the best, bc it wont constipate you either. I noticed that when I started taking it my undereyes looks clearer. No more dark circles.

I have heard floradix is great for those who can't stomach the pills. And I agree the pills are awful!

Debra83
March 3rd, 2011, 02:22 PM
I am so sorry. Hugs.

I was going to recommend this too. I hear it is awesome!