PDA

View Full Version : Use Up Your Stash challenge!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Cleopatra18
June 27th, 2010, 02:19 PM
For all the hair junkies out there! whether are oils,conditioners,treatments,or even hair toys! we know we have to stop buyin stuff for our hair :p
Personally,im going to officially start this challenge in 2 weeks when we're finally done with some stuff in the house.
Till then ill have one chance to restock on staples/favorates or just something i have been craving to buy lol.
after that,this challenge should go on till the end of the year with buying absolutely nothing for my hair,with the exception of only one time to restock a really needed product during this period.
you can post a list of all the items you have here and edit it through out the challenge.
if something is really not working for you,we can use our stash to swap products with each other,and so preventing waste and further spending.
you can also post your adjusted regimens to try to finish up your products more (e.g more deepconditioning/oil soaks/cowashing etc)
you can also use this challenge to include beauty items in general (make up,face creams,body lotions.perfumes watever addiction you have lol:p)
So Who is with me??

eternallyverdan
June 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I'll join in! I don't have too many products, but I'd like to guarantee myself that I won't buy anything more before the end of the year.

Here's my list:

Shampoos:
1 Garnier Avocado Oil and Shea Butter Shampoo (I didn't buy this one-- it was left at my house, and it smell kind of gross, but I feel bad wasting it)
1 Suave Clarifying Shampoo
2 Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoos (These were a gift, but I like using them so it's fine)
1 WhisperingWindzFarm Whipped Shampoo

Conditioners:
1 Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship
1 Semi-Expensive Shea Butter thing from France (don't remember the brand)
1 bottle of Olive Oil and Aloe Conditioner (Also a gift; Olive oil and aloe extracts are the last two ingredients on the list)

Leave-ins:
Garnier Fructis Smoothing Serum
John Frieda Shine Shock

Miscellaneous:
750 g henna
1 small bottle jojoba oil
1 small bottle almond oil
2 tubes aloe vera gel

Huh. I guess I have more stuff than I thought. I'll get started tonight!

Sissy
June 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM
oh wow... what a perfect thread for me. I just placed a HUGE order of conditioners and oils off vitacost.com and once they all finish arriving I'd better cut it out for the rest of the year! LOL, the only thing I can see myself needing after this is if i run out of shea butter and also I know I'll need to purchase more of my beloved VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner (for CO Washing) and GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's (I always use this in my SMT's) at some point when it's on sale and when I've run out. I know it sounds bad to order so much but really it's an overdue Christmas pressie... I received money for Christmas to buy some hair items of my choice but I never go around to doing it... I kept adding things to my shopping cart and vitacost and then taking diff. things out. I have just now finally gotten around to placing the order. It's a lot of stuff but I'm hoping it will all get good use and that I will be totally set for a while!

I will have to come back to this and try to list my stash after I've taken an inventory but it will be ridiculously long... it might be easier just to list things as I used them up (I do have several bottles of almost used up product floating around). It's embarrassing how much I already have and now I'll have so many more because Vitacost was offering free shipping and has such excellent deals on their products. They are very good prices on the large bottles of Nature's Gate so I had to try pretty much every single scent/flavor they had on offer... yeeps :o Hopefully, I'll like them all! I also ordered several Jason conditioners that I haven't yet tried (I'm thinking I'll like them as I've loved the other Jason conditioners I've tried). I got Millcreek Henna conditioner and aloe vera mill creek conditioner (those are two Mill Creek varieties I've not yet tried). I am also trying out Kiss My Face conditioners, Desert Essence conditioners, and some Beauty Without Cruelty conditioners finally (been wanting to do this for a while). Yes, yes, yes... me thinks I'll have to store some conditioner in my cellar as it's not all going to fit in my closet prolly. Well, some people have wine cellars... I'll have a conditioner cellar I suppose :o

I also bought some oils. I got some Castor Oil (hexane free variety which I've not yet tried) and Jojoba Oil (I was running low on both those). I am also trying out some new oils that I've never tried before: Grapeseed oil, Avocado Oil, and Alba Organics Hawaiian Kukui Nut Organic Body Oil (supposedly great for the skin and nice smelling but also ok to use in hair).

I also ordered some pure Cocoa butter (to make some homemade deep treatment conditioning mixes with). I also got sweet orange EO and some Jasmine Absolute (in jojoba for the carrier) to scent my homemade concoctions with. I hope to make some lovely Fox's Shea Cream and whipped scented shea and cocobutter recipes. I even ordered some Raw Honey for eating and mixing into my homemade hair concoctions and some Vitamin B5 Pantothenic Acid to add to my hair treats and to take orally from time to time for hair health.

As you can see, I went way overboard... the first shipment already arrived and I have already tried the two Aubrey Organics conditioners (J.A.Y. Conditioner and Swimmer's Conditioner) I ordered and have already reviewed them here on LHC and like them both :) so so far so good. The only other AO product I ordered was two bottles of the Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner but I've used that before and love it and I had totally run out so it was time to stock up... it makes for a great deep treatment!

GRU
June 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I don't have the time or energy to dig everything out and list it, but I'd like to sign on to this challenge!

I've been wanting to get some butters (shea, cocoa, avocado, olive, jojoba, kokum) to try, because I haven't gone that route yet at all. So that can be my "one last purchase" before the challenge starts. But it wouldn't kill me to stop buying conditioners "to try".

I'm not sure if I have enough of my Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner to get me through until the end of the year, and that is my one true "must have" product -- I use it for CO-washing and conditioning and as my leave-in. But I also only buy it when I'm on my last bottle, or if it's on a good sale (one Saturday my store had a one-day-only sale with Suave stuff for 66-cents/bottle... no way I can turn down that price!).

So, as long as I'm allowed one more purchase for my butters, plus restocking of my one true must-have product, I'm up for the challenge!!!

Cleopatra18
June 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
great!! i cant wait to start,i will probably go tomorow to satisfy my last pj needs :D i will post a list later.

Cailie
June 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Of course I'm IN !!!

Not buying hair things until new year, minimum ! (I have SO MUCH)

Roseate
June 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Oh, I am so in!

Or, I guess maybe my challenge is a little modified- I'm going to allow myself to repurchase when I run out of any one "category" of things. My categories are: sulfate-free shampoo, CO-conditioner, richer conditioner, leave-in, oil, stylers.

The "stylers" category is my big challenge! I use my same old flaxseed gel 99% of the time when I 'do' my hair, and I don't even do it every time I wash. And I only wash once a week. So it takes me FOREVER to use up a thing of gel or curl creme or whatever, but does that stop me from buying more? No it does not. I see something cone-free that I haven't tried, and somehow it hops into my basket.

So no more! I must use my stash, or if I try something a couple times and don't love it I will toss it out or offer it to y'all. This is also a good excuse to systematically try all my stuff, and not just use the same old all the time. I paid money for this goop, I may as well put it on my head or get it out of my cabinet already!

rapunzhell13
June 27th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I vow not to buy anymore products until I've used up both of my shampoo bars. I'm hoping they'll last me until the end of the year, but if not I will purchase something and use it up before moving on to something else. Also, I vow not to buy anymore "future" hair toys, i.e. ones that I can't use immediately. I will stay OFF the swap board. :o And Etsy... :o :o

julliams
June 28th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I'm in. I just bought ANOTHER silicone free, natural blah blah blah shampoo and conditioner set because it was buy one get one free. GOT ... TO ... STOP ...!!!!

Now I really need to keep using all this stuff until it's all gone. I guess the yucky conditioners could be used for COwashing (which I don't really do) now and again.

HintOfMint
June 28th, 2010, 03:52 AM
I tell myself to take on this challenge after every new product I buy. :o

In all seriousness though, this is definitely something I should truly attempt.
I want to try some butters before I commit to laying off the consumerism, however, isn't that what I am trying to avoid doing? Sure some shea butter could be the end of it, but what about mango, cocoa, and avocado? And I also want to try catnip rinses.
This is why I'm going to have to modify the challenge a bit for me. I really want to get out of the mindset that buying things is the answer. It is less wasteful and in the end, I'll be more wise with my money. Or so I hope.
The challenge is as follows: I will instate a moratorium on buying products within each of the haircare categories: cleansing, conditioning, leave-in conditioner, styling the bulk of my hair, and styling my bangs. I will buy a new product (be it shampoo, conditioner, styling product or leave-in) only when the category to which it belongs has been completely exhausted. There is no time limit to this challenge. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change:p

Here are a few things that I would like to try, however, I will not try them until I am done with these items.
In the conditioner category, I will not try catnip until I am done with the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition stuff.
The leave-in conditioner category is tricky. I use olive oil regularly to cook, so I always have that on hand and so I'll never really "run out." I also use jojoba oil to take off my makeup, so that is a long term member of my arsenal. Heck, if olive oil is safe to remove eye makeup with, I won't need to restock the jojoba either. I guess I'll try a butter after the aloe vera gel is used up, and only one butter at a time.
The styling bangs, styling hair, and shampoo categories have enough products to last a year, so I'm not even going to try entertaining thoughts of what can follow them. Seriously, I have Tigi Bedhead Manipulator, Giovanni texturizing mousse, a frizz ease straightening cream, frizz ease serum, a Nexxus heat protection spray, 3/4 of a bottle of Mane 'n Tail shampoo, and 7/8 of a bottle of Herbal Essences Drama Clean shampoo (both shampoos used only on the scalp). When all that is done, then we'll talk.

Whew. Although, my routine doesn't sound Spartan enough? Hmm... anything else I can do to make this more of a challenge?

MandaMom2Three
June 28th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I can be PARTLY in :p. Some of my product horde contains cones and my hair does NOT like them (but the pack rat in me can't bear to throw something useful away :p so they just sit in a box :rolleyes:. BUT I do have tons of cheap coneless stuff that I can use up. And hey, I can use the shampoos as body wash (and they work fantastic to wash the tub too!) and the cony conditioners could probably be used to shave with!! That would take a while as I epilate mostly now, but for the times I let certain parts (cough..cough...ARM PITS...cough...) go too long I do shave, so it will take a while but I can use them :D. I WILL need to buy SOME stuff, as my scalp cannot live without henna, but I'll keep the things I buy to an absolute minimum until I lose this huge pile of product :D .

rosycoco
June 28th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I am in!
Some girlfriends are moving house and have kindly just given me tons of excess beauty products. This is my stock count hair wise:
1 bottle baby shampoo
1 bottle anti dandruff shampoo
1 bottle generic shampoo
1 bottle conditioner
1 leave in conditioner spray
1 hair serum
1 tub of coconut oil
2 tubs hair wax
1 tub hair gel
Therefore, I absolutely should not have to buy anything until October at least! I must resist needless consumerism :)

renarok
June 28th, 2010, 08:55 AM
would it be ok to just gather everything together and take a photo? I really have too many products.

I have two long haired daughters and a DH with a good head of hair so we go through a fair amount of stuff.

I've been meaning to collect it all up and see what needs tossing.

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 09:24 AM
About six months after going SLS- and cone-free, I went through EVERYTHING in my bathroom cupboard and read all the ingredients and put anything non-compliant in a bag that I then donated to a local charity that provides services to homeless/low-income people.

This particular organization has their own barber/beauty shop, and they were THRILLED to get some good-quality stuff. They didn't even care that some of the bottles were only 1/2 to 3/4 full -- they loved getting absolutely anything at all!

I know homeless shelters and domestic violence shelters are usually requesting donations of hygiene-care products, too.

Just thought I'd mention that to anyone who is going to just "toss" anything that's not worth the cost of postage to put on the Swap Board.

dropinthebucket
June 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
I gave away almost everything I don't use anymore - except that bottle of Argan Oil treatment i got from Sally's that has silicone in it, darn misleading labels! So i guess i shouldn't be in on this BUT.... i bought a big bottle of coconut oil from the Health Food store for like 20 bucks - it's one of those huge drums! yep, that's my dragon horde right there, Gold Medal Coconut Oil, and i'm wondering if it will be possible to use it up this lifetime! ;) maybe if i don't buy anything else at all, ever, and only use the coconut, i might use it up??? :)

Cleopatra18
June 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM
would it be ok to just gather everything together and take a photo? I really have too many products.

I have two long haired daughters and a DH with a good head of hair so we go through a fair amount of stuff.

I've been meaning to collect it all up and see what needs tossing.
the photo sounds like a great idea!!It's alot easier to use our stuff when we actually know what we have! I have this bag full of hair products that i havent touched in a long time,i dont even know what is in there.
keep it up everyone :D

Capybara
June 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Oh dear ... I just bought half a kilo of coconut oil and more conditioner! I think this would be a good time for me to join in (if you don't mind, that is :D) No more buying products that I don't absolutely need!

Great challenge idea! :blossom:

crazy_margaret
June 28th, 2010, 01:39 PM
I am in !! I need to clean out my samples, trial sizes, and all the rest!! I already plan on giving my everpure poos and cons to my mom as she uses the same ones i was. Havent used them in awhile as I am trying to stay away from cones. I am exited to get home and clean out and line up my products and take inventory. I havent gotten anything in a long time but I still have years of clutter!

Kristin
June 28th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I think I can commit to not buying any more shampoos for the remainder of the year, as I have a zillion bottles and several bars of both SLS and SLS-free varieties. Not sure about the rest, though...I NEED conditioner. And oils. And leave-ins. And I'm planning on getting my hair cut into a "style"- possibly with bangs- in August, so I may need more styling products for that...

I am an addict. For now, I will just commit to the no-shampoo part of the challenge. :D

Cleopatra18
June 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
i went out today and baught some black currant seed oil,small bottle of garlic oil,a comb and some mango-scented spray that was supposed to refresh the scent of hair (i tried at home and the smell faded away in no time,so was a total waste)
anyway this was my last shopping for my hair,i might restock on oils but it wont be any time soon.

Sissy
July 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
well, one of my bottles of VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Conditioner is gone... however, that is one of my tride and true restock products as I use it as the first conditioner in CO washing so it's not a big deal that it's gone. Still, one bottle down!:cheese:

chloeishere
July 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
I desperately need to do this. I keep trying to, and then failing. I just bought a deep conditioner at Sally's online because they had free shipping over $10 and they give you a free full sized shampoo... the deep conditioner is really nice, and I did want to get more, but first I need to use up the GVP joico reconstructor I bought six months ago, and I didn't even need the shampoo!

My current product rotation (lives in shower or gym bag):
queen helene mint julep shampoo
One shampoo bar
Almost empty bottle of GVP conditioning balm
Almost empty bottle of Ion Intensive treatment (this is the one I just bought a liter bottle of)
Ion Swimmer's Shampoo (this will take a while, it's a 1 liter too)
Ion Swimmer's Conditioner (these two are the ones I've been using almost exclusively the past few weeks, I'm swimming 3x a week. The conditioner will go fast though, I use it before and after swimming. I'll start using up other conditioners when this stuff runs out).

2 leave ins that are currently used occasionally-- Giovanni Direct and Manor Hall Deep Conditioner

I have 12 bottles in storage (mostly conditioner but one or two shampoos)
And probably another 5-10 bottles and tubs of stuff still at my parents house (I think I have 4 half-full tubs of Dairy Whip!)

So here is my challenge: Use up AT LEAST 5 bottles or tubs before buying anything new-- this includes restocking a favorite!

Eventual Goal: 2 different types of shampoo with, at most, one back up. 3 conditioners max at any one time, with one bottle as a back up.

I do need to rotate products to keep my hair feeling its best (i.e. one very gentle shampoo, with an SLS containing shampoo to clarify and keep my scalp happy used about once every 2-3 washes; one light conditioner, one heavy conditioner, one deep treatment), so I'll always have more than one bottle at a time. But I do not need this much redundancy, especially since most stuff isn't even being used right now!

ETA: though I still have a long way to go, I've already used up 5 bottles of stuff this year. The trick for me is not to try new stuff until I've used up more than I want to buy, so I have a negative balance, and the list of stuff I need to use goes down! The 5 bottles used up before buying anything new is a good way to start.)

After using up five bottles, I got a bottle of that new tresemme cone-free conditioner, those two bottles of swimmer's stuff (which I argued that I "needed", and now those two bottles of stuff I just bought-- so I've got the exact same number of bottles I did at the start, except the new ones are all full, and most of the ones I used up were already half empty!

Cleopatra18
July 3rd, 2010, 07:59 PM
great start Sissy!!
and welcome to the challenge chloeishere :)
and here is my list of items:
shampoo: (not really a problem issue)
1.tresseme moisture rich shampoo (main)
2.herbal essences break's over shampoo (smells like heaven)
3.strawberry shampoo (spanish or something)
Conditioners:
1.alter ego bone marrow conditioner 3000gm tub (3/4 full,shared with my sisters)
2.alter ego keratin conditioner 500gm (full)
3.kanechomn karite butter deep conditioner 1000 gm (full)
4.kanechomn cermaides deep conditioner 1000gm (full)
5.herbal essence break's over instensive mask (half full)
leave-ins:
1.kanechomn karite butter leave in
2.kanechomn jaborandi leave in
3.kanechomn chocolate leave in
4.garnier fructis long and strong leave in
5.vatika cream with sweet almond and henna
6.smooth n shine silk protein leave in
7.hask placenta spray on treatment
8.french detangling spray
9.scruven cream (was precriped from doctor)
10.kanechomn avocado leave in
Oils:
1.hemp seed oil
2.Olive oil
3.Coconut oil
4.Onion oil
5.Castor oil
6.Apricot oil
7.black currant seed oil
8.sweet almond oil (small bottle)
9.wheat germ oil (small bottle)
10.garlic oil (small bottle)
11.ginger oil
12.peppermint oil (small bottle)
Randoms:
1.about 500gm henna
2.cayenne pepper (will probably throw it)
3.apple cider vinegar
4.lotion for alopecia
5.about 75 ml glycerin
6.karite split ends serum

I dont really use that much hair toys but i have enough to get around.thats all i can remember for now,i hope i didnt forget anything.I have been going crazy to buy more stuff,it's a joke....Wish me luck :o

ravenreed
July 4th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I just bought a new bottle of conditioner tonight. I NEED to use up one of the five that is already in my shower... there are three cleansing conditioners and two extra conditioning conditioners. I am surprised there is room for me in the shower!

Sissy
July 4th, 2010, 08:00 AM
great start Sissy!!
and welcome to the challenge chloeishere :)
and here is my list of items:
1.tresseme moisture rich shampoo (main)
3.strawberry shampoo (spanish or something)
Conditioners:
1.alter ego bone marrow conditioner 3000gm tub (3/4 full,shared with my sisters)
leave-ins:
Oils:
1.hemp seed oil
2.Olive oil
3.Coconut oil
4.Onion oil
5.Castor oil
6.Apricot oil
7.black currant seed oil
11.ginger oil
Randoms:
1.about 500gm henna
3.apple cider vinegar
4.lotion for alopecia
5.about 75 ml glycerin

I dont really use that much hair toys but i have enough to get around.thats all i can remember for now,i hope i didnt forget anything.I have been going crazy to buy more stuff,it's a joke....Wish me luck :o

Wow, this is a good collection! I still haven't had time to compile my list but am currently having fun trying out my new varieties of Nature's Gate and other conditioners I purchased from Vitacost :cheese:

Tonks
July 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I'm so happy someone made this thread! :cheese:

I vow not to buy ANYTHING for my hair until the New Year, forcing myself to use up the products I still have. I will edit this list when I finish a product or add a new one to the list. I've been wanting to try WO washing for a while now, and I've decided I can't do that until all my other products are gone!

They are:

- An almost-full bottle of Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Shampoo
- 1/2 a bottle of Nature Clean Au Naturelle Herbal Shampoo
- An almost-fill bottle of Sweet Almond Oil
- 1/3 bottle of Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Conditioner
- two squares left of Lush Caca Rouge henna
- a full bottle of Silkience Regeneration Silky-Smooth Conditioner
- 1/3 bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
- 1/3 bottle of Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze Conditioner DONE! [July 14, 2010]
- 80 mL bottle of Biosilk Silk Therapy

I'd also like to extend this challenge to all beauty products as well (except Blistex Lip Infusion when I run out, it's one of the very few products I can put on my lips that I don't find too heavy; and Lush's massage bars, cause they're the only moisturizers for the skin that actually really work for me). They are:

- makeup
- Aveeno Sensitive Skin Facial Cleanser with Feverfew (I really don't need to use it, water works fine for me, but I impulse-bought it a little while ago)
- Aveeno Creamy Moisturizing Oil (it smells wonderful, but I'd like to use it up since I won't be buying it again and don't want to waste it)
- bar of soap
-

alwayssmiling
July 4th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Count me in I have been using up in June anyway, but looks like I have about 6 months supply of stuff. Lol.

A bit embarrassed with my list but here goes

Shampoo
L'Occitane Repairing
Supersoft Yogurt & Coconut
Root Stimulator Olive Oil
Original Source Almond & Coconut
Lush Trichomania shampoo bar

Conditioner
L'Occitane Olive Oil
Supersoft Pomegranate
Gliss Liquid Silk Gloss
Twisted Sister defrizz

Pantene Break defense
Inecto Coconut oil intesive
Alberto Balsam Honey & Almond
Lush Jungle (might end up in bin)

Leave in

Pantene anti breakage
Root stimulator Olive Oil
Vitapointe
Organix Coconut Milk

Misc
Batiste dry shampoo

Trevor Sorbie shine spray (might throw away)
Fantasia Frizz buster
Aloe Vera
A large bag of shea butter!

Gulp...its a lot to get through. I've already given some away to my sister and mum!

Loreley
July 4th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I'll join! The only problem is that I've already used up most of my products. :) I still have 2 bottles of hair tonic, 2 bottles of shampoo (with sulfates) and there are other conditioners and shampoos I use regulary. I always have several bottles of them.

Cleopatra18
July 4th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Wow, this is a good collection! I still haven't had time to compile my list but am currently having fun trying out my new varieties of Nature's Gate and other conditioners I purchased from Vitacost :cheese:
lol thanks :p I added two items today that i forgot to add,I am struggling not to go restock on some leave-ins even though i have dozens as you can see,they just make my hair feel so good (usual excuse lol)

atlantaz3
July 4th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I'm in trouble with this one. Five months with only one restock. I have a stash (at least 10 bottles) of my shampoo that they don't make any more and have been trying to find a replacement. How about if I just toss what I don't use? No - didn't think so. Toss and use up. Ok (sigh) I'm in. I just bought the aveno wheat protein conditioner and was thinking of getting the matching shampoo - have coupons will sample. By the way my hair really likes that conditioner.

Flossy
July 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I'd like to join in.

I've always been a product whore, but since joining LHC it's gotten out of control!

My goal is to not buy anything I don't NEED until the new year (and I'm not trimming until then too). I can replace something if I use it up (which doesn't happen that often) and I can replace it with something different if I wish.

I promise!

hmmm
July 5th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Oh this is one thread I definitely needed a couple of months ago... but I finally got my six bottles of oil down to three, lol. And my three bottles of shampoo down to two... but I don't use that much shampoo so I'm expecting it to take a year or so for the huge bottles to get used up.

I do feel better after looking at all your lists though. Most of you beat me to stash-collection a loong time ago. :D

sweet*things
July 5th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I'm in for myself, I think I've found a routine and set(s) of products that works for me :) and while I would love to experiment more with shampoo bars, I don't really need to. Plus my husband has limited patience for "product" all over the bathroom. :o

However, I do need to figure out my daughter's hair situation, so I reserve the right to purchase a few things to help hers. I'm hoping she's got protein overload, which is fixable, otherwise I have no idea what's gone wrong. All of a sudden it's like doll hair and it's freaking us both out. I've been sending all my reject products into her bathroom, so I'm guessing her hair hates that stuff as much as mine did. :confused:

I need to do a clear out later this month. I should be able to swap some products and some hair toys.

x0h_bother
July 5th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I just bought the aveno wheat protein conditioner and was thinking of getting the matching shampoo - have coupons will sample. By the way my hair really likes that conditioner.
me too, for me its the nourish + revitalize (green label?) cond. but it gets used to it so i hav to switch every so often.

Flossy
July 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM
OMG, what is wrong with me?

Just hours after posting in this thread, I impluse bought some half price Fructis shampoo and conditioner. I did have a rethink, and they are still in the bag and I'm going to return them. It was a close one.

Pear Martini
July 6th, 2010, 06:09 AM
OMG, what is wrong with me?

Just hours after posting in this thread, I impluse bought some half price Fructis shampoo and conditioner. I did have a rethink, and they are still in the bag and I'm going to return them. It was a close one.

The fact that you will go return them speaks volumes :D

chloeishere
July 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I used up a 1/4 full bottle of VO5 champagne kiss last night! :D I needed to wash because I got really sweaty, and I didn't want to shampoo because I was going to wash my hair today after I swam, so I just did a CO with the rest of the bottle. Blech, I no longer like that scent at all after using several bottles of it a few years ago. Too sweet.

HintOfMint
July 6th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Perhaps a list is the best way to keep track of this challenge
At the moment I have:
Shampoo
1. Mane 'n Tail (Sulfates) 1/2 bottle
2. Herbal Essences Drama Clean (Hyper-sulfates) 7/8 bottle
3. Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (Sulfate free) 1/6 bottle
Conditioner
1. Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (Holy Grail) almost finished bottle
2. Mane 'n Tail (chockablock full of proteins) 1/2 bottle
3. 4 bottles of V05 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner (thin) all full bottles
4. John Frieda's Root Awakening Moisturizing Conditioner (cyclopentasiloxane as its 3rd ingredient, dimethicone as its 6th--too coney for CWC, risk of buildup?) full bottle
Oils
1. Olive oil (will never run out because I also use it in the kitchen)
2. Jojoba oil - half bottle
3. Coconut oil - full size of pond's cold cream jar
Misc.
1. CVS Aloe Vera gel - 1/4 tube
2. Garnier Fructis Anti Humidity Hairspray - near full bottle
Texturizing stuff
1. Tigi Bedhead Manipulator - full jar
2. Giovanni Mousse - 2/3 bottle
Heat protection Coney products
1. John Frieda Frizz Ease straightening cream - 2/3 tube
2. John Frieda Frizz Ease lite serum - 1/2 bottle

I guess my main concern is using up the conditioners. I currently CWC, so I guess I could use the V05 conditioners for the first leg of the process. However, I am recovering from a protein overdose, so I'm a bit wary of reintroducing any protein to my hair. Since biotin is the very last ingredient in the V05, would that amount of protein be negligible for my hair (especially since I'm not using it for the heavy conditioning after the wash part of CWC)?

I'm also wary of reintroducing cones to my routine to use up the Root Awakening. I use cones on my bangs, but I use a sulfate shampoo every time I CWC so my bangs get cleaned with that. However, I don't want to use sulfates on the ends of my hair too often. Given the placement of cones on the list of ingredients on the john frieda root awakening conditioner, do you think I'll be able to stretch out the clarifying?

chloeishere
July 6th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Biotin is not a protein, so it should be fine.

Katurday
July 6th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I am so NOT in. This thread just reminded me that I'm on my last bottle of conditioner, shampoo and that the coconut oil is running dangerously low.

...and I just realized I am very frugal in using up my hair products.

HintOfMint
July 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Biotin is not a protein, so it should be fine.

Ah! Wonderful! Although I'm a bit embarrassed now:o

chloeishere
July 7th, 2010, 07:34 PM
No worries! It's easy to get confused with all the info on here. The conditioner with cyclopentasiloxane as the 3rd ingredient and dimethicone as the 6th would probably cause too much build up to be used for CWC for me, but everyone is different. It might be okay for you, or you could donate it to a shelter.

ochikita
July 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I am in. Will make a list and post it later. Great challenge!

ravenreed
July 7th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Seriously, I need to use up my conditioners. I had two fall on my head as I showered, as well as my shampoo bar. They were precariously perched up above the tub on the wee tiny ledge against the wall, and decided to make a break for freedom. It did make showering much more exciting! However, I can do without the excitement.

curlytm
July 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM
I'm in for ALL beauty related products. I love makeup, skin care, hair care, and nail care, so I'm on an ALL product no-buy. Here's the list of things I'm NOT going to buy because I have enough, already!

Nail polish: probably the toughest with all the limited edition pretties coming out this fall.
ALL cosmetics: foundation, blush, eyeshadow, primer, liner, mascara, lip gloss, lipstick, lip balm, makeup brushes. I also have enough face sunscreen, which I count as "cosmetics" because it's step 1 of my makeup routine.
Lotion: I have a total of about 55oz of assorted body lotions, enough sunscreen to last me the summer and then some, two types of face lotion-6oz total.
Face wash: I have big bottles of Philosophy's Purity Made Simple and Microdelivery and one 7oz tube of Wal-mart brand face wash.
Body Wash: I have about 4 variously sized bottles that are half full because I'd switch according to whimsy when I wanted something that smelled different, and then I switched to using handmade soap from GrumpyGirl Candles.
Soap: I splurged on a purchase from GrumpyGirl, so I have lots of soaps. 7 full sized bars and 6 samples (she sends out samples with every purchase).
Conditioner: I have 2.5 16oz bottles of Wen Conditioner that I got as a gift from my ex's mom and one 750mL bottle of "mixed" cone free conditioners. I prefer pump bottles, so I just dump whatever cone-free condish I'm using at the time into an old Bed Head pump style bottle, even if there's a little left of the previous one, so I don't know exactly what's in there, but it makes my hair feel nice!
Shampoo: I stopped using sulfates quite a while back, so this one 750mL (again, assorted shampoos in a bedhead bottle) bottle got put into storage. I pulled it back out to use occasionally when I want to clarify. It works well enough, so I'll try to use it up.
Styling Products: I have 28oz of "mixed" hair product. I recently bought a hair gel that I HATED. It was way to strong of a hold and made my hair crunchy. So I mixed it with aloe gel, jojoba oil, glycerin, and leave in conditioner until I got a product that I now LOVE. Too bad it was a bit "mad scientist" in the mix, because I'll never be able to reproduce it. In addition to this, I also have some mostly full 4oz bottles of sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and glycerin, about 3oz of coney shine serum (I'm not super concerned with silicones if I'm occasionally shampooing anyway), and 1 20oz bottle of FOTE aloe gel.

Since I started using soap instead of body wash, body wash is exclusively used as shave gel. I also might use the shampoo for this, haha. So if body wash and shampoo are for shaving, what will I do with this bottle of ACTUAL shaving gel :o.

It's pretty embarassing to put this list out there, but I'll be so glad to be crossing things off of it. Thanks for making this thread!

triumphator!
July 9th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Wow, I have NOTHING compared to y'all. Ready?

Shampoo: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (has sulfates, bored of it)
Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (I think its glory is negated by my use of the sulfate-y partner shampoo)
Styling products / treatments: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioner, Anti-Frizz spray made according to morecowbell's recipe (Aloe gel, leave-in conditioner, water), Nightblooming's Panacea & Triple Moon Hair Oil (not actually in my possession, but in the mail!)

The end! I will win this challenge.

curlytm
July 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Does anyone have any "used up" items to report and cross off their list?

Cleopatra18
July 9th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I haven't used anything up yet sadly =/ I think it will take me alot longer than i thought..

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 11:39 AM

Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (I think its glory is negated by my use of the sulfate-y partner shampoo)
Styling products / treatments: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioner, Anti-Frizz spray made according to morecowbell's recipe (Aloe gel, leave-in conditioner, water), Nightblooming's Panacea & Triple Moon Hair Oil (not actually in my possession, but in the mail!)

Pah! Amateur..... ;)

triumphator!
July 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Pah! Amateur..... ;)

I know I know, I will have a collection worthy of gorgeous hair like yours someday :p

HintOfMint
July 9th, 2010, 12:07 PM

In regards to the Garnier shampoo and conditioner and the comments about the sulfates, have you tried a CWC? My ends HATE sulfates, but my scalp loves them, so I only use shampoo on my scalp as the rest of my hair is coated in conditioner.

triumphator!
July 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
In regards to the Garnier shampoo and conditioner and the comments about the sulfates, have you tried a CWC? My ends HATE sulfates, but my scalp loves them, so I only use shampoo on my scalp as the rest of my hair is coated in conditioner.

Hm, I tried the actual method once, but I wasn't sure I got my entire scalp clean, like the back of my head underneath the hair.

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I know I know, I will have a collection worthy of gorgeous hair like yours someday :p

Aww, this place is SO good for my hair's ego! :)

You know the really sad thing about my presence in this thread? I really only use one item on a regular basis (well, two if you count the ACV for my rinse, but a gallon of that will probably last me a year, so I don't think that's even worth counting), another item a couple times a week, and then my henna/cassia stuff every 6-8 weeks.

Daily: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, used for CO-washing, conditioning, and leave-in conditioning.

Weekly: Oil; I currently have Sweet Almond, Grapeseed, Coconut, and Jojoba, but I pretty much only use either Sweet Almond or Grapeseed (seem to work equally for my hair).

For a deep conditioning treatment, I pretty much just use "kitchen ingredients" - coconut oil, bananas, mayonnaise, eggs, honey, molasses, etc. So I don't think those would necessarily count as "stash" items... even though the coconut oil and molasses aren't anything that I would purchase for my kitchen. :o

Okay, so I've put it off long enough. I went to the bathroom and took a complete inventory. I'm even worse than I thought!!! (and keep in mind, I really only use TWO of these products! :bigeyes:)

Curl It Up Leave-In Conditioner
Sally Hydrating Gel -- quantity 3
Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
GVP's Paul Mitchell - The Conditioner
Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner
GVP's Matrix - Conditioning Balm
Citric Acid
Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner
GVP's Joico K-Pak
Sweet Almond Oil
Jojoba Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Glycerine
Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel
Molasses
NexFaze Shea Butter Hydrating Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Conditioner
Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner - quantity 6 (2 Family, 4 Regular Size)
Alagio Silk Obsession Leave-In
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner
VO5 Champagne Kiss Conditioner
Suave Almond & Shea Butter Conditioner
Biotera Curl Creme
Epsom Salts
Excelsior Millenia Mud
Herbal Essences Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner
Tresemme Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado Nourishing Moisture Conditioner

Dang, I got writer's cramp just writing it down and then typing it all out!!!!

Do I officially qualify as the absolute WORST stasher here??? :o

curlytm
July 9th, 2010, 01:59 PM
So what do you use as product in your hair post-cleansing? Please don't tell me those curls just clump like that frizz-free without some assistance!! I have my OWN hair's ego to protect here!

And I just came across Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream. DANGIT!! Must. Not. Buy. Shea. Butter.

GRU
July 10th, 2010, 12:32 PM
So what do you use as product in your hair post-cleansing? Please don't tell me those curls just clump like that frizz-free without some assistance!! I have my OWN hair's ego to protect here!

Promise not to hit me????

Daily: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, used for CO-washing, conditioning, and leave-in conditioning.

Other than an ACV rinse (which is probably about a 50-50 depending on A) how awake I am during my shower [NOT a morning person!] and B) how behind schedule I am already that morning), this is the ONLY product I use on a regular daily basis.

If I'm not wetting my hair that day (bun or braid -- can never leave "second day hair" down), I might add one of my oils or some Aloe Vera Gel to get a sleeker look on my pulled-back parts. But in any picture where you see my curls, that's just SNTC, nothing else. Before I tried it, I would have sworn on my grandmother's grave that leaving full-strength conditioner in my hair after a shower would leave it greasy, dull, and/or sticky, but I find that the SNTC leaves my curls happy as a clam. (exactly how happy are clams, anyway? seems like they'd have a rather boring life....)

And I just came across Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream. DANGIT!! Must. Not. Buy. Shea. Butter.

teeheehee -- great minds think alike! :D Shea butter is my one "get to buy before you start" item for this challenge (and SNTC is my "get to replenish if it runs out" item).

Kristin
July 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Ok, I technically partially committed to this challenge already; I said that I would not buy any shampoo for the rest of the year. That is not enough. I bought 6 bottles of conditioner in the last two days! I already had 10-12 bottles in the cupboard and another 3 in the shower! This behavior is no longer acceptable!

New plan: I will make a list of the things I AM allowed to buy for the rest of the year.

Unlimited VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner (currently have 4-5 bottles, but I use it every day for CO)
1-2 bottles of GF Triple Nutrition (my second condish for CO)
1-2 tubs of coconut oil (which I use for light & heavy oilings and as a skin moisturizer)
NB's Vegan Panacea SalveThat's IT. (Please understand that I am a serious product junkie, so this is a huge commitment for me.:o) I will need support.

I really should do a No More Bath Products and No More Hair Toys Challenge as well...

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 06:29 AM
This behavior is no longer acceptable!

:lol: I can totally hear Jo-Jo the SuperNanny saying that to us! (only she pronounces it "asseptable")

I wonder if we could all hire her to keep us on the straight and narrow? Jo-Jo the SuperStashNanny!!

That's IT. (Please understand that I am a serious product junkie, so this is a huge commitment for me.:o) I will need support.

You've got it!

And I am pleased to announce an update for me!

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition -- GONE! :D
Citric Acid
GVP's Joico K-Pak
Sweet Almond Oil
Jojoba Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Glycerine
Molasses
Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner - quantity 6 now 5! (2 Family, 4 now 3! Regular Size)
VO5 Champagne Kiss Conditioner
Biotera Curl Creme
Epsom Salts
Excelsior Millenia Mud
Herbal Essences Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner -- GONE! :D

AND I've managed to NOT buy the shea butter I promised myself I could get!!!

:cheese::happydance::joy::cheer::wethree::hollie:

Tonks
July 13th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Congrats, GRU! That's amazing :D

I ended up caving and buying a bar of soap for the shower when my mum has millions upon millions of Avon shower gels. I prefer bar soap anyway, though.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Congrats, GRU! That's amazing :D

I ended up caving and buying a bar of soap for the shower when my mum has millions upon millions of Avon shower gels. I prefer bar soap anyway, though.

I think we can exempt body/face purchases.... since this is a hair forum. So you're still good, Meaghan! :D

Kristin
July 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
This is disgusting, but I already think I have to make an amendment to my challenge rules. One of my new conditioners is amazing and I MUST HAVE ANOTHER BOTTLE. I think I'll only get one more GF and then one of this new kind. I'm also considering giving myself until the end of the weekend to stock up and ALL of the stuff I will need (Panacea slave, coconut oil, and all of the conditioners I said I was allowed) and then truly not purchase anything else.

EDIT: Must I take stock? This will be embarrassing...

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 11:28 AM
EDIT: Must I take stock? This will be embarrassing...

Kristen, I know *exactly* what you mean.... look how long it took me from when I joined the challenge (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1145260#post1145260) to when I actually wrote it all down!!! :o

I actually got a cramp in my hand, writing it all down -- seriously!!!

curlytm
July 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Aww, Kristin. I was there, too! While conditioner seems to be your thing, hair product is mine. I'm always looking for something to fight frizz, give more root curl, add shine, body, give me more sex appeal, and rearrange my furniture.

Well...maybe not the last two, but you know what I mean.

I think we can exempt body/face purchases.... since this is a hair forum. So you're still good, Meaghan! :D

Yarr!! Don't tell me this!! I'm such a beauty product junkie. I'm on a no buy. But-but-but this new foundation promises "luminous skin!!" Who doesn't want to be luminous?!?!

Must. Be. Strong.

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Yarr!! Don't tell me this!! I'm such a beauty product junkie. I'm on a no buy. But-but-but this new foundation promises "luminous skin!!" Who doesn't want to be luminous?!?!

Must. Be. Strong.

That exemption is JUST for Meaghan, curlytm... you haven't been paroled yet for body/face potions!!!

How's that?

Cleopatra18
July 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
:D:D:D I guess we all have a little addiction inside us dont we? :p
Meaghan and curlytm,this challenge was set for all beauty items for those who need to,and i belive you two should try to commit :D
*ehm* regarding myself,I havent used up anything yet..AND I baught a small bottle of jasmin-infused glyecrin,it was cheap though!
It's seriously worse than i thought,i found myself accidentaly in the beauty products section and i was like *drooling*,im glad i made myself buy only one tiny little product.
btw GRU,really great progress in using up your products!
kristin,this challenge is for plain fun,and posting our lists will only make us know we're not alone and maybe laugh a little bit on how obssesed we are with our hair:D and btw if you saw my list,you'll see how embarrasing it can get :p

Tonks
July 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Haha, I extended the challenge to all beauty products for me, personally. I'm really interested in downsizing a lot of my possessions, and that includes beauty products. :) No worries, curlytm, you set your own limits!

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Haha, I extended the challenge to all beauty products for me, personally. I'm really interested in downsizing a lot of my possessions, and that includes beauty products. :) No worries, curlytm, you set your own limits!

But I don't think of bar soap as a "stash" item, unless you buy the fancy frou-frou kind and have a gazillion of them as well. If you're out of an item, you're allowed to replace it!

curlytm
July 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Haha!! I stashed soaps like a squirrel preparing for winter! I have a defense, though. IfIspentacertainamountofmoneyIdidn'thavetopayshipp ingokay?

And thanks GRU, Meaghan, and Cleopatra18 for talking me down from the edge (the metaphorical edge where I click-click-click internet shop and also purposely shop at the liquor store that is right next to a Rite-Aid so I can "accidentally" find myself in the beauty aisle. I wonder if Jaegermeister could be used in my hair...).

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Haha!! I stashed soaps like a squirrel preparing for winter! I have a defense, though. IfIspentacertainamountofmoneyIdidn'thavetopayshipp ingokay?

Hey, I've had that disease before, too! :D

And thanks GRU, Meaghan, and Cleopatra18 for talking me down from the edge.

I'm in the hair toy challenge (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51729) as well, and I just found myself ambling along in the Swap Board.... :justy:

Will I never learn???? :rolleyes:

VanillaTresses
July 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I actually got a cramp in my hand, writing it all down -- seriously!!!

:rollin:

I am embarrassed to say that would also be the case for me. I am trying to use up stuff that I already have and am even considering doing CO for a while (even though I know that I don't like CO) just to use up some non-cone conditioners that I have had hanging around for a while.

curlytm
July 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Or! You could do like...5 SMT's a day!

Tonks
July 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
But I don't think of bar soap as a "stash" item, unless you buy the fancy frou-frou kind and have a gazillion of them as well. If you're out of an item, you're allowed to replace it!

That's very true, but I feel a little guilty buying soap when I have a whole slew of body washes to choose from. :(

Kristin
July 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Ok, I am glad I did this (I think). It was very enlightening for me to actually see what was hiding in the linen closet.

Oils

1/2 tub coconut
1 bottle grapeseed
1/2 bottle almond
1-1/2 bottles jojoba
1/3 small bottle + 1 large castor (I also use this for OCM)
3/4 jar shea butter
1 bottle Aphogee Essential Oils for Hair
I sample bottle NB Triple Moon Anointing Oil
Styling Products (now I begin to weep softly)

Aussie Catch the Wave styling mousse
Pantene Classic Hair Spray
Ion Glossing Mist
Ion Lusterizing Cream
Ion Heat Protectant Spray
Ion Frizz Eliminating Styler
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Starlit Waves
CHI Silk Infusion
GF Nurtient Spray
1 tube aloe gel
Sebastian Laminates Get It Straitt
Shampoos

1 small bottle LUSH Cynthia Sylvia Stout
1 partially used puck Godiva
some Trichomania
1 bottle 365 Citrus Grapefruit
1 bottle Nizoral
1 tube Loreal Everstrong Hydrating
1/3 bottle Avalon Organics Lavender
1 bottle Avalon Organics Lemon
1/2 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream
2/3 bottle VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying
1/3 large bottle Mane N' Tail
Conditioners (breathe, Kristin)

some LUSH Jungle
1/3 bottle 365 Lavender
1/4 Neutrogena Triple Moisture Hair Mask
1 large and 1 small GF Triple Nutrition
1 bottle Giovanni Triple Tea Trea
1-1/4 bottle Giovanni Smooth as Silk
1-1/3 GVP Joico K-Pak
1-1/2 tubes Ion Extreme Moisture Nurturing Creme
4-1/2 bottles VO5 Kiwi Lime
1 bottle VO5 Blackberry sage
1/2 bottle VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea
1/2 bottle VO5 Strawberries and Cream
1/3 bottle VO5 Pomegranate
1-1/2 bottles Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
1/2 bottle 365 Citrus Grapefruit
1 bottle GVP Matrix Conditioning Balm
1 bottle Avalon Organics Lavender
1 tub Loreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture
Leave-Ins

1 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Cream
1/2 tub NB Vegan Panacea Salve
1/2 bottle Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moiture Mist
1/8 bottle Paul Mitchell SuperSkinny SerumI am so disgusted. This list isn't even exhaustive; I have random stuff stashed in other places, too. I should never be allowed to buy another hair product. Ever.

I have been cone free for a month. What in the heck am I going to do with all these coney conditioners??? It would be an enormous waste of money to give them away!

curlytm
July 13th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Kristin, I had the same concern with coney styling products. But, I figured that I'll just clarify with the shampoo that I need to use up and that'll get rid of them.

Nice job making the list. It's depressing and liberating, right? I hated seeing all the stuff I have, but now, the list is finite. It will feel good to start crossing things off. :)

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Kristin, I donated all of my coney products (a whole paper grocery bag full... if my Stash List included my old coney things too, it would have put your list to shame!!!!). My town has a facility that serves the homeless, and one of the services they offer is showers and a barber shop/beauty salon. They were ECSTATIC to receive my items... they carry basic shampoo, but their budget doesn't allow them the "luxuries" of conditioners and styling products. Most domestic assault shelters are usually asking for personal hygiene items as well, as many women flee their home with nothing but the clothes on their back.

Meaghan, I still think you should give yourself a break on the bar soap, provided you didn't buy a 20-pack at Costco/Sam's Club, of course! You were out of bar soap and so you purchased bar soap; the fact that there are body washes available doesn't negate the fact that you were out of bar soap. Now, if you bought a bar of soap that cost five bucks, then you go right ahead and feel guilty! ;)

triumphator!
July 13th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Kristin, your stash is :agape: amazing! You're like a dragon sitting on a mountain of jewels!

Also, I love all the hullaballoo over a bar of soap. A bar of soap! I love this website, ya'll are hilarious.:D

Kristin
July 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM
GRU- I know. I read that you donated your stuff, but I really feel that I should use as much of it as I can AND THEN donate the rest. Luckily, the ION Nurturing Creme has water-soluble 'cones, along with the Mega Moisture, and I think the GVP K-pak does as well.

Does anyone know if dimethylamine is water-soluble? I found arguments on both sides.

I will probably donate most of the styling products. Not that homeless people need those. :(

I'm actually kinda excited about challenging myself now. :)

Triumphator- I am revolting! I cannot believe I allowed myself to get this out-of-control. And it isn't really abot one bar of soap. It's about one today, and then two more at a specialty store, and five more because they were on sale...

Tonks
July 13th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Now, if you bought a bar of soap that cost five bucks, then you go right ahead and feel guilty! ;)

Nope! Dollar store ;)

GRU
July 13th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Also, I love all the hullaballoo over a bar of soap. A bar of soap! I love this website, ya'll are hilarious.:D

Isn't LHC just awesome? All this knowledge, PLUS fun!!! :D

GRUand I think the GVP K-pak does as well.

I will probably donate most of the styling products. Not that homeless people need those. :(

Yep, I'm a GVP K-Pak user -- it's good to go in the cone-free department. :)

And actually, they DO need styling products too -- the homeless go to the shelter's barber shop to get spiffied up to go to job interviews....

Nope! Dollar store ;)

Well, there ya go! Home free! :cheese:

Kristin
July 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
And actually, they DO need styling products too -- the homeless go to the shelter's barber shop to get spiffied up to go to job interviews....

Good point, I hadn't even thought of that!

klcqtee
July 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I'm in, I guess. I've got so much junk to use.

Shampoos:
vo5 pomegranate smoothie clarifying shampoo (I think is the name)
giant container of shampoo from costco. It's coney though, which makes me break out...we'll see.

Conditioners:
herbal essences Hello Hydration (which makes me break out, but I need to find a use for it, be it shaving cream or leave in)
GF triple nutrition, which doesn't really seem to be getting my scalp clean enough CO-ing
my new conditioner from vo5 that I can't remember the name of

Oils:
coconut oil- unless it's gone rancid
Castor oil-already using for OCM, but want to try on my hair
Safflower oil - same issue as the castor oil

I have some sort of silly, coney, shine serum that someone gave me, that I need to use. I'm currently cone free, but that's only making my scalp happy, my hair is very tangle-y. I'll use it up, see if that helps.

When I get back into town I'll raid the cabinets. I'm sure there's more.

Talula
July 13th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Kristin, your stash is :agape: amazing! You're like a dragon sitting on a mountain of jewels!

I've been watching this thread.... it's quite funny!

I'm with Triumphator...... I see the stashes as like the "mountain of jewels". :) Unless it's stuff you know you'll never use, of course. As long as you'll one day use it, I figure better to buy it on a crazy sale than pay full price when you are out of product & desperate! (I may be a bad influence to this thread, sorry! :eyebrows:)

I recently lined up most of my conditioners & shampoos across the top of my shower door, and I guess I'm the oddball, 'cuz it actually makes me really happy to look at it! All the pretty colors & smells. I've only been obsessively collecting hair stuff for maybe 6 months?, since I got into the H4H site, & then my interest transferred to this site. I'm 41, and I honestly was never obsessed with hair until very recently. My interest started with a combination of wanting to naturally cover my increasing side-greys/whites, which henna/indigo has done nicely, and a frustration with never-ending frizz halos that frizz gels just don't help with. The grey problem is solved, but the frizz problem is ongoing, though I still have lots of suggestions to try. (go ahead & add to my frizz thread if you've got any!: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=49057 )

The new stuff I buy is mostly cheap conditioners for CO, usually a dollar or less. It's like I feel like I want to have one of each "flavor" of the White Rain, Suave Naturals & VO5 conditioners. Or sulfate free shampoos when they're on sale, or free with rebate, as Organix & Renpure have been lately. I was so psyched recently to get the Renpure stuff at Rite-Aid, buy one get one, and it looked like you were going to pay 6.99 for both, but it was actually 3.50 for 2! So it normally would have been about $14, and I got them for $3.50. How can you resist, when it's sulfate free? Ok, now I feel like that little devil that sits on the the BAD shoulder. :eyebrows:

My only worry is if all my cheap conditioners could actually go rancid before I ever use them. But hopefully with the preservatives they probably have, I'm good?

I don't go out & buy the $10, $20, $30 expensive hair products (tho WEN recently tempted me, but I resisted with advice from you LHC-ers!), just the cheapy & sale stuff, so I feel like it's not so bad. I don't compulsively shop for anything else. I DID used to have this problem with craft kits & supplies, but I've been good for the last few years!

Anyways, I have SLIGHT guilt for my constant search for sale conditioners for CO, but mostly it just makes me delighted to see all the choices I have! Sometimes when I'm near my stash, I just open a couple bottles & smell them & it makes me smile, ... is that bad? :p

1953Diygal
July 13th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I found a REALLY good way of using up my stash/product graveyard.

Unfortunately, it involved getting a divorce.... :rolleyes:

VitaR86
July 13th, 2010, 08:54 PM
As per Ursula's Newbie Guide..... I'm Still trying to used up the coney, sulfate filled shampoo I bought about a week before joining the LHC. Finally used up the condish I had too so....:cheese:

But I still have half a bottle of that damn shampoo. :(

VitaR86
July 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM

I have a small stash of different soaps and body washes. I like picking different scents each time I shower. I found a new one last week that I'm in love with. Its lemongrass and grapefruit......:happydance:

firefly42
July 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, I want to play! This will keep me from ordering more stuff i don't need....I don't know if i have enough to make it till new year but i'll definitely join in anyway!

Shampoo:
CV Butter Bar Conditioner (half bar)
CV Honey beer and egg shampoo (sample size)
CV Olive and Babassu Shampoo (FULL SIZE THESE BARS ARE HUGE)
CV Summer Sunshine Shampoo (half Bar)
CV Coconut Milk (sample size)
Avalon Organics Lavender (sample size)
Giovanni Moisture shampoo (half Bottle)

Conditioner:
Avalon Organics Lavender (sample Size)
Giovanni Moisture (half bottle)

Oils:
Jojoba (3/4 of a bottle)
Coconut (full jar)

Misc:
Honey (small bear container)
Rainbow Henna brown (half a container)
Rainbow henna Red (full container)

OK....it could be worse. still, the CV bars last FOREVER...

Cleopatra18
July 14th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I just wanted to add that its not about the bar soap,It's about keeping ourselves from buying stuff when we already have an alternative.Avon shower gels are pretty good in quality and scent imo,and thats why i think she didnt really "have" to get the bar soap,its not like she will stop bathing if she didnt buy it.
Personally whenever i feel the urge to buy something,i just tell myself what would i do if i was broke? I would probably just go home and use something from the stuff i already have.so i just leave it like that for me.we're trying to stop extra waste of money on something thats not considered a priority since pretty much everyone in the challenge has pretty decent amount of products.I also think controlling our spending on "luxury" items like hair products is something we really need to commit.It's not about being able to afford it or not,everyone can afford one more bottle of V05,but we shouldnt buy it because we simple dont need it.
btw,I am in love with your stash too kristin! :D

HintOfMint
July 14th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Quick question. I have been making an SMT for regular conditioning as a way to use up my V05 stash (it's simply not moisturizing enough for my hair on its own). However, I am almost out of aloe gel. Is the honey enough of a humectant to stand on its own with the conditioner, or is the aloe a vital part of the SMT?

Tonks
July 14th, 2010, 08:34 AM
I just wanted to add that its not about the bar soap,It's about keeping ourselves from buying stuff when we already have an alternative.Avon shower gels are pretty good in quality and scent imo,and thats why i think she didnt really "have" to get the bar soap,its not like she will stop bathing if she didnt buy it.
Personally whenever i feel the urge to buy something,i just tell myself what would i do if i was broke? I would probably just go home and use something from the stuff i already have.so i just leave it like that for me.we're trying to stop extra waste of money on something thats not considered a priority since pretty much everyone in the challenge has pretty decent amount of products.I also think controlling our spending on "luxury" items like hair products is something we really need to commit.It's not about being able to afford it or not,everyone can afford one more bottle of V05,but we shouldnt buy it because we simple dont need it.
btw,I am in love with your stash too kristin! :D

I think you said this perfectly :) I've been spending the last year or so of my life trying to downsize and live more simply, and it's dollarstore runs with my mother (our weird way of bonding =/) that tend to screw it up, as well as the beauty aisles just being so darn pretty!

I really like the idea of only having what I <I>need</I>. It's clean, it's simple, and makes it easier for me to focus on many other things that have the potential of bringing me happiness that don't rely on acquiring new things all the time. :)

VanillaTresses
July 14th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I CO'd last night with a non-cone conditioner that I liked but that SO hates the smell of (bananas), trying to use it up. He tries to be *nice* about it but I can tell that he doesn't like it. His comment: "It just smells SO strong. Are you sure it is rinsed out!?" Well, I thought that I liked the smell of it but all last night I kept smelling it and not in a good way! At least this one bottle is almost empty. It was a small bottle to start out with and with CO it is going to go fast. :D

It's going to feel so good to finish off the last of all of those unused bottles!

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
VT, have you tried CO-washing with the icky one and then following up with a different (better smelling) product for conditioning?

triumphator!
July 14th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Okay, I have an update! I broke down and bought more hair-related products. The vicious cycle begins?? shudder:

Durp, I nearly bought $30 worth of shampoo bar samples from Chagrin Valley. Then I realized, "Oh wait... I just committed to using up my [blankety blank blank] stash Ireallywanttheseshampoobarsdamnit."

BUT I will have you know that I abstained. I hope you're happy, thread. :violin:

Xandergrammy
July 14th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I am so in on this challenge. I have so much stuff, that I couldn't even list it all here. Even to get it all together for a picture would be time consuming. Suffice it to say that I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to hair care products. I CAN tell you that I have at least a case of ABBA Creme Masque and case of PERMA conditioner. And a gallon of Nucleic-A conditioner. And a gallon of ABBA shampoo. And Garnier Fructis shampoo, conditioner, gel, curl creme and spray. And half a bottle of AO Honeysuckly Rose condtioner. Plus varying amounts of Say Yes to Carrots conditioner, Curly Sexy Hair curl creme, Suave coconut conditioner, etc, and blahblahblah. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. And my DH thanks you too (we're runing out of room!)

curlytm
July 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I just wanted to add that its not about the bar soap,It's about keeping ourselves from buying stuff when we already have an alternative.

Exactly why I'm here! When I run out of thing for which I have an alternative (styling product, conditioner, the 9th bronzy golden brown eyeshadow I have) I'm not going to replace it just because I love it. I kept a "log" of the things I really like and want to replace, but I won't replace them until I run out of the alternatives.

And! I don't plan to buy things in new "categories" until the no-buy is over (for example, the components for Fox's shea cream thing). Once the "hair no-buy" is over, I'll work hard to control my purchases, but the cosmetics no buy is on indefinitely. I'm in retail therapy :).

Kristin
July 14th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I really like the idea of only having what I <I>need</I>. It's clean, it's simple, and makes it easier for me to focus on many other things that have the potential of bringing me happiness that don't rely on acquiring new things all the time. :)

Precisely. I've been getting better about doing this with clothes and make-up, but not hair products. Or hair toys. Or books (but I'm not giving those up :p).

And thank you, Cleopatra.:o

EDIT: Also, I used some coney deep conditioner last night. Oh. My. Word. My hair is as slippery as a wet fish. It feels weird after being no-cone even for a short time.

momtofour
July 14th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Oh boy, was this for me! I have so much stuff. I can't resist the lure of the beauty aisle in any store and can't stay out of stores like Ulta and Sally's, even though I don't NEED anything. Count me in! In fact, when school starts up again, I intend to take some of my products to the vocational high school/cosmetology department, and let the students divvy up some of my stash.

Cleopatra18
July 14th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Quick question. I have been making an SMT for regular conditioning as a way to use up my V05 stash (it's simply not moisturizing enough for my hair on its own). However, I am almost out of aloe gel. Is the honey enough of a humectant to stand on its own with the conditioner, or is the aloe a vital part of the SMT?
I never really purchased aloe gel,i always done it with honey and it made pretty good results.I think you should try it once and see if it works the same way with you.

Tonks
July 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I finished the little bit in my Suave Ocean Breeze bottle with an SMT! Whoo!

Cleopatra18
July 14th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Congrats Meaghan!! keep up the good work :D HOPEFULLY ill update with anything soon lol,I am so slow in using up stuff.

alwayssmiling
July 14th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Okay, I have an update! I broke down and bought more hair-related products. The vicious cycle begins?? shudder:

Lol. Don't worry - I went to town on Saturday and came home with 3 different conditioners. My husband was perplexed.

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Okay gals (we don't have any guys in the challenge yet, do we? If so, someone please correct me!!!).... I came in here for some positive reinforcement. Butters (shea, etc.) were the thing I listed as my "still going to get / exempt from the challenge" item.

So I went web-surfing today.... had everything in my shopping cart.... created a customer account.... chose a shipping option.... and then instead of hitting the confirmation button, I backed out and removed every single item from my shopping cart!!!

:cheese::disco::cheer::joy::wethree::hollie: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_yahoo.gif?t=1279131841

And I have to be honest.... the thought of coming in here and confessing to all of you about my purchase -- even though it's my one allowance and technically didn't count! -- was a huge factor in my choice. :o

So thank you, Cleopatra18, for starting this thread, and thank you, everyone else too, for helping to keep me honest!!!

Cleopatra18
July 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Okay gals (we don't have any guys in the challenge yet, do we? If so, someone please correct me!!!).... I came in here for some positive reinforcement. Butters (shea, etc.) were the thing I listed as my "still going to get / exempt from the challenge" item.

So I went web-surfing today.... had everything in my shopping cart.... created a customer account.... chose a shipping option.... and then instead of hitting the confirmation button, I backed out and removed every single item from my shopping cart!!!

:cheese::disco::cheer::joy::wethree::hollie: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_yahoo.gif?t=1279131841

And I have to be honest.... the thought of coming in here and confessing to all of you about my purchase -- even though it's my one allowance and technically didn't count! -- was a huge factor in my choice. :o

So thank you, Cleopatra18, for starting this thread, and thank you, everyone else too, for helping to keep me honest!!!
GRU,YOU'RE SUCH AN IDOL I MEAN IT!! :D this is so the attitude we need,i was craving to go shopping and you really encouraged me to stay on track!! Great Job! :flowers:

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 01:23 PM
GRU,YOU'RE SUCH AN IDOL I MEAN IT!! this is so the attitude we need,i was craving to go shopping and you really encouraged me to stay on track!! Great Job! :flowers:

That's awesome! Great job to you, too, for resisting your craving! :cheer:

Cookies for everyone who didn't buy anything unnecessary today! :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:
And if you don't like sweets, here's some pizza instead! :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Tonks
July 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Congrats, GRU! That's exactly the way to do it, keep it up! Just keep thinking about how we'll all shake our heads at you if you buy something new, haha.

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Congrats, GRU! That's exactly the way to do it, keep it up! Just keep thinking about how we'll all shake our heads at you if you buy something new, haha.

I was raised by a manipulative control-freak cold-hearted witch... I've been conditioned to respond to guilt trips!

So far it's working great!!!! :D

triumphator!
July 14th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I was raised by a manipulative control-freak cold-hearted witch... I've been conditioned to respond to guilt trips!

So far it's working great!!!! :D

Oh lord, good for you GRU : )

curlytm
July 14th, 2010, 07:01 PM
... and then instead of hitting the confirmation button, I backed out and removed every single item from my shopping cart!!!

WOOOHOOOOO!!!

So was I!!! But it made me learn to totally ignore guilt trips, haha.

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM
So was I!!! But it made me learn to totally ignore guilt trips, haha.

Well, now I ignore the ones from people I don't care about.... but I care what you guys think! :D

And I should be able to cross my VO5 Strawberry off before Monday. Progress! :cheese:

Kristin
July 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Yay, GRU! I'm so proud of you!

I didn't buy anything today, and considering my obsession, I think I deserve cookies and pizza! (It really isn't that big an accomplishment as I barely even got out of my pajamas today and didn't leave the house. We'll see how I do when I go to ANY store where hair products are sold.)

GRU
July 14th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Yay, GRU! I'm so proud of you!

I didn't buy anything today, and considering my obsession, I think I deserve cookies and pizza! (It really isn't that big an accomplishment as I barely even got out of my pajamas today and didn't leave the house. We'll see how I do when I go to ANY store where hair products are sold.)

Well, you had internet access, and you didn't buy anything online, so here you go!

:cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

(see, I even let you have your dessert first!!!)

alwayssmiling
July 15th, 2010, 04:30 AM
GRU thats a great tip, I do the same thing with clothes. I fill my basket but don't proceed to check out. Or sometimes I leave them in my basket then go back later and realise that I don't need them/like them anymore.

At the moment I'm trying to exercise my generous side by giving stuff away to friends and family :eek:. I have a couple of bottles of shampoo that have too much protein in and some weird straightening balm that makes my hair frizzy :confused: that will have to go to a good home I think. Its hard to part with stuff though :o

The good news is that I'm getting much better at reading labels (wish it was bigger writing though because I miss things) so the stuff I'm now buying hopefully won't be wasted. I kind of know from reading the label if its going to be any good for me (thanks to LHC).

Kristin
July 15th, 2010, 03:12 PM
My sister is coming over tonight to claim some of my coney stuff. Whatever she doesn't want will likely be donated. I tried the 'cones on Tuesday and just can't stand the results. I may hold on to a bottle or two just in case I become desperate in the winter, but I will definitely be clarifying today...

Cleopatra18
July 15th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Kristin,someone mentioned using coney conditioners as shaving cream.you can try that instead of throwing something away.

Kristin
July 15th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Cleopatra, thanks. I forgot about that suggestion. Maybe I'll try that tonight.

curlytm
July 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
My original list of things not to buy:

Nail polish: probably the toughest with all the limited edition pretties coming out this fall. Check. Haven't bought anything.
ALL cosmetics: foundation, blush, eyeshadow, primer, liner, mascara, lip gloss, lipstick, lip balm, makeup brushes. Check. Haven't bought anything.
Lotion: Approx. 55oz of assorted body lotions, 6oz of facelotion. Check. Haven't bought anything. Put a significant dent in the lotions I do have.
Face wash: Philosophy's Purity Made Simple and Microdelivery and one 7oz tube of Wal-mart brand face wash. Check. Haven't bought anything. Steadily churning through it.
Body Wash: Assortment of body washes. Check. Haven't bought anything. Put a dent in the body wash by using it as shaving gel.
Soap: 7 full sized bars and 6 samples (she sends out samples with every purchase). Check. Haven't bought anything.
Conditioner: 2.5 16oz bottles of Wen Conditioner, one 750mL bottle of "mixed" cone free conditioners. Check. Haven't bought anything. Used a LOT of conditioner with 2 deep treatments and one post-henna wash.
Shampoo: One 750mL bottle of shampoo. Check. Haven't bought anything. It's approx 3/4 full.
Styling Products: 28oz of hair product, mostly full 4oz bottles of sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, and glycerin, about 3oz of coney shine serum, and 1 20oz bottle of FOTE aloe gel. Check. Haven't bought anything. Used about 6oz of the product.

So! Overall, I'm trucking through my stash steadily. I'm not being wasteful with any of it just to burn through it. Conditioner always goes quickly and lotion for me is something I CONSTANTLY slather on due to my dry skin. The slowest thing will be soap.

Now. The thing I'm most proud of......I was THISCLOSE to buying a sample (well, honestly, I was going to buy the tub) of Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve. THISCLOSE, PEOPLE!! I'm a fragrance/perfume junkie, so reading the fragrances in it made me want it really badly. But I staid my mouse-clicking finger, backed away, and went to sniff some perfume to get my "fix." I can resist! When I run out of product AND conditioner, I MIGHT buy it, but not yet, bank account. Not yet.

GRU
July 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Now. The thing I'm most proud of......I was THISCLOSE to buying a sample (well, honestly, I was going to buy the tub) of Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve. THISCLOSE, PEOPLE!! I'm a fragrance/perfume junkie, so reading the fragrances in it made me want it really badly. But I staid my mouse-clicking finger, backed away, and went to sniff some perfume to get my "fix." I can resist! When I run out of product AND conditioner, I MIGHT buy it, but not yet, bank account. Not yet.

I hear ya, curlytm.... I keep reading all the raves about it, how the frizz "disappeared instantly" and I am consumed with the most overwhelming feeling of W-A-N-T!!!

So far I've been able to resist.... you keep at it and I'll keep at it and together we will be VICTORIOUS!!!!:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

klcqtee
July 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Okay, well, I had a thread on whether I should cone or not cone (hair vs. skin and scalp), because cones, while pacifying my hair, makes me break out terribly. Well, I'm pretty sure it's an allergic reaction (not just build up), and as allergies are exacerbated by repeated exposures... I don't think it's a good idea to risk it. I think I'm going to pawn most my coney stuff off on my sister, and donate whatever my little brother won't use.

I NEED to use up that coconut oil though. And all those body washes...I don't buy the body washes though! They're always given to me! I'm usually WO on my body, but maybe I'll use them as shaving gel...even though I only shave once every couple months.

Maybe I'm too low of maintenance? I hardly use anything! Give me some cone free conditioner and a 1/2 cup EVOO once every 6 months and I am good to go! Of course, I did by an EO today...and I plan on getting Shea butter (to use up the coconut oil in a Fox's Shea Butter Cream recipe!) That's fair right? Right?! Right. Plus I will be using up the coconut oil that way...if it hasn't gone rancid. It's been a year...Okay. I'm counting the shea butter and EO as my "stocking up" time, then no more.

I guess my biggest problem isn't not buying things, but using up all the things I have. I have a dozen things 1/4 used, then I get bored. I have such a selection to choose from, I can change it up whenever I want.

Okay, I'm still in, but it's not a matter of not buying things, for me, but using what I have, rather than being lazy and switching to benign neglect (or WO). There.

Congratulations to all who are dwindling down their stash. Also :cheese: to all who resisted the urge to buy! Whoo!

Tonks
July 17th, 2010, 07:27 AM
[snip] I'm usually WO on my body... [snip]

klcqtee, can you tell me a little bit about WO washing for the body? I'm at the point that when I shower, I only use soap on my armpits, genitals, bum, and feet (this equates to much less dry skin for the rest of my body from washing), but I read recently that you're not supposed to use soap in your lady bits?

Cleopatra18
July 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Okay, I'm still in, but it's not a matter of not buying things, for me, but using what I have, rather than being lazy !
I am totaly like that too! I am ALWAYS lazy with my hair and consider myself doing benign neglect which makes me have piles of unused products.
welcome to the challenge klcqtee!!

triumphator!
July 17th, 2010, 09:13 AM
klcqtee, can you tell me a little bit about WO washing for the body? I'm at the point that when I shower, I only use soap on my armpits, genitals, bum, and feet (this equates to much less dry skin for the rest of my body from washing), but I read recently that you're not supposed to use soap in your lady bits?

I heard that you shouldn't use stuff with really harsh fragrances or intense moisturizers, because they throw off the "balance" down there and can lead to other problems. I use mild stuff and everything seems okay.

GRU
July 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM
I heard that you shouldn't use stuff with really harsh fragrances or intense moisturizers, because they throw off the "balance" down there and can lead to other problems. I use mild stuff and everything seems okay.

Ditto! I've heard and do the same thing.

Kristin
July 17th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Oils
1/2 tub coconut
1 bottle grapeseed
1/2 bottle almond
1-1/2 bottles jojoba
3/4 jar shea butter
I sample bottle NB Triple Moon Anointing OilStyling Products (now I begin to weep softly)
Ion Glossing Mist
Ion Lusterizing Cream
Ion Heat Protectant Spray
Ion Frizz Eliminating Styler
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock
CHI Silk Infusion
GF Nutrient Spray
1 tube aloe gel
Sebastian Laminates Get It StraittShampoos
1 small bottle LUSH Cynthia Sylvia Stout
some Trichomania
1 bottle Nizoral
1 bottle Avalon Organics Lemon
1/2 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream (my DBF is using this)
2/3 bottle VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying (DBF is using)
1/3 large bottle Mane N' Tail (DBF is using)Conditioners (breathe, Kristin)
some LUSH Jungle
1/3 bottle 365 Lavender
1 large and 1 small GF Triple Nutrition
1 bottle Giovanni Triple Tea Trea
1-1/4 bottle Giovanni Smooth as Silk
1-1/3 GVP Joico K-Pak
1-1/2 tubes Ion Extreme Moisture Nurturing Creme
4-1/2 bottles VO5 Kiwi Lime
1 bottle VO5 Blackberry sage
1/2 bottle VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea
1/2 bottle VO5 Strawberries and Cream
1-1/2 bottles Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner
1/2 bottle 365 Citrus Grapefruit
1 tub Loreal Nature's Therapy Mega MoistureLeave-Ins
1 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Cream
1/2 bottle Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moiture Mist
1/8 bottle Paul Mitchell SuperSkinny Serum

This was my original list. Everything in bold (plus a couple of things that never made it to the list, lol) has been gifted to my sister and mom OR is being used by DBF. I couldn't part with a bunch of stuff that I probably will never use (specifically, the coney conditioners and styling products). I keep thinking that once school starts (I'm a teacher), I will need/want to heat-style occasionally and should, therefore, hold on to some of the styling products.

On the upside, I have not purchased any hair products since Monday, July 12th. I AM FOUR DAYS CLEAN AND SOBER!!! :D

triumphator!
July 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM
On the upside, I have not purchased any hair products since Monday, July 12th. I AM FOUR DAYS CLEAN AND SOBER!!! :D

What a hilarious analogy!

GRU
July 17th, 2010, 12:18 PM

We should make up little tokens as awards for certain milestones... "I got my one-month button today!!!" :lol:

(no disrespect meant towards those in 12-step programs.... just wanted to clear that up ahead of time)

Also, I walked through the huge conditioner aisle at the grocery store today and didn't even TOUCH a single thing! YAY ME!!!! :D

Kristin
July 17th, 2010, 05:17 PM
We should make up little tokens as awards for certain milestones... "I got my one-month button today!!!" :lol:

(no disrespect meant towards those in 12-step programs.... just wanted to clear that up ahead of time)

Also, I walked through the huge conditioner aisle at the grocery store today and didn't even TOUCH a single thing! YAY ME!!!! :D

I didn't mean to be disrespectful, either. :) Hair product addiction is in no way as serious as drug/alcohol.etc. addictions, but I am definitely addicted to hair products.

Also, YAY GRU!!! I plan to intentionally avoid the product aisle. :o I am not strong enough, yet.

Pear Martini
July 17th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I am so addicted to buying hair products.

I have to put a lot of effort into not going into the hair care section of the market.

I am definatly expieriencing withdrawls:thudpile:

GRU
July 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Also, YAY GRU!!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/th_smiley-happy091.gif?t=1279410108

I plan to intentionally avoid the product aisle. :o I am not strong enough, yet.

I do have to confess.... I was damn near jogging, I went through so fast! LOL But I'm hoping to build up my resistance a little at a time.... ;)

GRU
July 17th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Here's another update from me:

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition -- GONE! :D
Citric Acid
GVP's Joico K-Pak -- GONE!:D
Sweet Almond Oil
Jojoba Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Glycerine
Molasses
Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner - quantity 6 now 4! (2 Family, 4 now 2! Regular Size) <<< another one gone!!!!
VO5 Champagne Kiss Conditioner -- GONE!
Biotera Curl Creme
Epsom Salts
Excelsior Millenia Mud
Herbal Essences Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner -- GONE! :D

Wally
July 18th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Daughter took 2 items off my hands yesterday and she may take 1 more. That would put me back under control since I use everything else fairly regularly.

Loreley
July 18th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Update:
I had two bottles of hair tonic and 2 bottles of shampoo (1 Nivea, 1 Pantene) which I wanted to use up. The shampoos are gone and I have only 1 bottle of hair tonic left! :D

Cleopatra18
July 18th, 2010, 10:31 AM
UPDATE: my list is exactly the same since i started.
(end of update...)

VanillaTresses
July 18th, 2010, 10:35 AM
VT, have you tried CO-washing with the icky one and then following up with a different (better smelling) product for conditioning?

GRU, no, I haven't tried that yet but it is a good idea. :)

klcqtee
July 18th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Well, that's the reason I actually went WO. I noticed when I used soap down on the lady bits they tended to...over compensate by creating more of their own...musk. My skin also tends to be less dry since I stopped using soap. I used to suffer from what I called "arm dandruff". My lower arms used to be really flaky and dry. No more since I switched.

I have a pretty strong shower head, so I just raise up my arms to power away any dirt and stuff. The only soap that goes near the lady bits is just run off from my hair. If I'm especially gross feeling, I'll use just a wet wash cloth. It helps to exfoliate as well. I usually use a wash cloth on my under arms because I need to exfoliate my pits for epilating :rolleyes:

No soap helps with odor during TTOM too, just be sure to rinse really well.

End hijack!

Kristin
July 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
GRU- What are you going to do when your run out of your Suave Coconut? Don't you use that everyday?? Is it your re-stock item?

I went to Trader Joe's last night and Sephora and Lush today and did not purchase one hair item! Yay!

GRU
July 18th, 2010, 03:05 PM
UPDATE: my list is exactly the same since i started.
(end of update...)

That's not bad, though... it means you didn't ADD anything either, and that's half the battle right there!!! :cheer:

GRU, no, I haven't tried that yet but it is a good idea. :)

I can't stand icky scents to hang around in my hair all day, so that's how I've gotten rid of mine... the icky ones are also the ones I use for washing out henna, SMT, etc.

GRU- What are you going to do when your run out of your Suave Coconut? Don't you use that everyday?? Is it your re-stock item?

Yep, that's my one "allowed to restock" thing.... I don't even want to THINK about running out of that!!!

I went to Trader Joe's last night and Sephora and Lush today and did not purchase one hair item! Yay!

:cheer: We need a "cartwheel" emoticon here! Good job! :hifive:

Cleopatra18
July 19th, 2010, 02:23 PM
so first of all i'm still struggling with the products that work best for me,the tressemme shampoo and the strawberry shampoo were extremly drying for my hair,i was so not happy.thats why ill leave them both to my sisters.
however since i needed a shampoo,i was in this place that opens once ayear during the summer where they sell some syrian products and stuff like that.I found some shampoo bars (i never saw them before) and i thought i really should try it.
on the label it says "morrocan hair soap",the ingredients are: olive oil,jojoba,soya,pottasium hydroxide,rosemary and chamomile extract.it says it cures dandruff,hairloss,hairgrowth etc
the ingredients sounded very good to me so i baught it.
when i opened it,it smelled like olive oil.what was weird is that the soap was so so soft,almost like jelly?it was really hard getting it out of the box intact.i rubbed it all over my scalp and hair,it spread and foamed pretty well.my hair felt really weird while washing out.i thought it was gross at first but soon it felt good again and i followed with my regular alter ego.
im letting my hair air dry now but i can feel it's really good.it really feels so soft which is totaly weird for me.i think i'm very pleased.
my question for those who use poo bars,are they supposed to be soft,or hard as regular soap? how long do they last using them? and can they be stored or they will spoil??

Cleopatra18
July 19th, 2010, 02:28 PM
so im going to update my list FINALLY :D
1.tresseme moisture rich shampoo (main)-->considered gone
3.strawberry shampoo (spanish or something)--->considered gone
4.Morrocan shampoo bars--->probably a new staple product
Conditioners:
leave-ins:
Oils:
1.hemp seed oil
2.Olive oil
3.Coconut oil
4.Onion oil
5.Castor oil
6.Apricot oil
7.black currant seed oil
11.ginger oil
Randoms:
1.about 500gm henna
3.apple cider vinegar
4.lotion for alopecia
5.about 75 ml glycerin

triumphator!
July 19th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I used up all my face wash today.... does that count...:rolleyes:

Kristin
July 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Cleopatra- Shampoo bars are hard. They last awhile if you keep them dry. I have used a bar from Lush and it melts if left in or around water.

I am totally loving this challenge because I'm using stuff that I forgot I liked. Yesterday I shampooed with Cynthia Sylvia Stout and my hair is so shiny and smooth today! I'm also playing with my oils again (today I used the jojoba that had been sitting in the cupboard for 2 months).

I also cleaned out the linen closet yesterday and found several more bottles of product. I'm not adding them to the list as they are all 'cone laden and will go to my mom and sister.

GRU
July 20th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Yesterday I shampooed with Cynthia Sylvia Stout and my hair is so shiny and smooth today!

It's seriously called that? Like the Shel Silverstein poem?

Dacia
July 20th, 2010, 12:54 PM
on the label it says "morrocan hair soap",the ingredients are: olive oil,jojoba,soya,pottasium hydroxide,rosemary and chamomile extract.it says it cures dandruff,hairloss,hairgrowth etc
the ingredients sounded very good to me so i baught it.
when i opened it,it smelled like olive oil.what was weird is that the soap was so so soft,almost like jelly?it was really hard getting it out of the box intact.i rubbed it all over my scalp and hair,it spread and foamed pretty well.my hair felt really weird while washing out.i thought it was gross at first but soon it felt good again and i followed with my regular alter ego.
im letting my hair air dry now but i can feel it's really good.it really feels so soft which is totaly weird for me.i think i'm very pleased.
my question for those who use poo bars,are they supposed to be soft,or hard as regular soap? how long do they last using them? and can they be stored or they will spoil??

Moroccan black soap is supposed to be soft, like jelly, maybe you bought something similar: http://www.google.ro/images?hl=ro&client=firefox-a&hs=yBd&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=savon%20noir&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

HintOfMint
July 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Hi everyone, slight problem.

I'm leaving for school in less than a month and I'm really not sure about transporting shampoos, conditioners and oils. Shipping could be a nightmare, but I also don't want to take up weight in my suitcase (liquids add weight with a quickness!).

I really don't want to buy all new products when I get there, and I was really getting into this challenge.

Should I just use this opportunity to start over for the semester and just not let myself get into over-buying habits in the first place? Or does anybody have any suggestions for shipping/transporting such liquids without it squirting and leaking all over the place?

klcqtee
July 20th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Used up my Granier Triple Nutrition! Whoo!

Cleopatra18
July 20th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Can shampoo bars go rancid?

Tonks
July 20th, 2010, 06:05 PM

I'm leaving for school in less than a month and I'm really not sure about transporting shampoos, conditioners and oils. Shipping could be a nightmare, but I also don't want to take up weight in my suitcase (liquids add weight with a quickness!).

I really don't want to buy all new products when I get there, and I was really getting into this challenge.

Should I just use this opportunity to start over for the semester and just not let myself get into over-buying habits in the first place? Or does anybody have any suggestions for shipping/transporting such liquids without it squirting and leaking all over the place?

I'd say give away as much as you can, and be nice to yourself and start off with a clean slate with only your essentials :)

Cleopatra18
July 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
so i had a small bottle of coconut oil,and a medium sized tub.I used up all the small bottle in an overnight treatment,but i dont know if i want to use the tub.
it has melted due to summer heat and i dont know why its yellowish,with a bit of weird smell.
is it normal to look like that? should i just use it and it wont hurt? or better to throw it?

LouLaLa
July 22nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Ok im going to join :D

I have about 30 bottles of things, ill make a list when I get time.

So far Ive used up a bottle of Herbal essences Conditioner, a bar of lush sandstone, a bar of lush I should coco and a bottle of Nicky Clarke colour therapy dark blonde (I sort of started about three weeks ago unoficially).

Im actually enjoying the challenege as I was buying things without really using them. So working my way through them is sort of a treat as im trying new things! i tended to buy a fad item then stick to myold favourites saving the other product for a special occasion or something.

Im hoping that using up my things will teach me to be less materialistic and appreciate the things I have.

GRU
July 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
is it normal to look like that? should i just use it and it wont hurt? or better to throw it?

Does it smell BAD (icky, gross) or just "different"?

If it's different but not nasty, I'd go ahead and use it in DTs or whatever. Maybe not for oiling if I didn't care for the smell (unless it's an overnight or pre-wash thing that will get washed out).

Ok im going to join :D

Welcome, LouLaLa! Nice to have you join us!

Cleopatra18
July 22nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
I find the smell gross in my opinion,but im not really sure.
I think my hair uses alot of oil in deep treatments so i think if i really work on it,i could finish it next week.
I just dont think its supposed to be yellow right? =/!

GRU
July 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
I find the smell gross in my opinion,but im not really sure.
I think my hair uses alot of oil in deep treatments so i think if i really work on it,i could finish it next week.
I just dont think its supposed to be yellow right? =/!

Is it cloudy at all, or still clear but with a yellow tinge to it?

If you're just using it for DTs, and it's not actually cloudy or really foul smelling, it should be fine. But if it smells rancid or if it's cloudy at all, I'd just pitch it.

Flossy
July 22nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
I think I lasted about a week with this challenge. Being a new member, and trying to see what shampoos and condish's work in my hair means I tend to pick up anything interesting to try! When I saw silicone free Fructis I had to pick it up, same with Alberto S & C (can't find them everywhere down here). That's been it though.

I have 7 different bottles in my shower, and I just found another cone free condish in the cupboard, so I should be right now. I promise not to buy any more! I'm starting again!

GRU
July 23rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
I promise not to buy any more! I'm starting again!

That's the spirit, Flossy! Welcome back up on the wagon with the rest of us!

LouLaLa
July 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Ok so here is my list:

Tony and Guy Dry Shampoo-1
Tony and Guy High finish blow drying gloss-2
Tony and Guy Clarifying Shampoo-2
Tony and Guy Vitamin Spritz-1
Tony and Guy Movement balm-1
Tony and Guy Styling paste- 3
Tony and Guy Hair glue- 2
Tony and Guy heat defence spray
Nicky Clarke Colour Therapy conditioner dark blonde-2 (used 1 now)
Denise McAdam was in hair colour in ask blonde-2
Denise McAdam Shine Spray-2 (i love this and theyve been discontinued so thats my excise :p)
Denise McAdam Frizz serum
Denise McAdam heat defence spray
VO5 Perfect lengths hair mousse
Tesco kids hair detangler in passionfruit
Herbal Essences Fade Defy Conditioner (used!)
Patnene Pro V Leave in Hair Conditioner
Henra Shine spray in blonde
Gliss Reflex Shine Care
Charles Worthington Curl Enhancer
Sunsilk "Anti Flat"

I really have no need to buy anything for a very long time! Especially now ive also started the leave your hair up challenge (ive pledged one month so far). I also CO only so ive put the shampoo into the household cupboard for my dad and brother to use who arent fussy.

I confess I bought three hair toys today but since I have given up dye and in going to leave my hair upp i felt some fancy hair adornments were necessary. I bought two vidal sasoon bow clips, one navy and one cream and I also got a slide that you stretch over your hair then reatatch to hold a french pleat. I dug out my hairsticks too!

Anyway writing all that down makes me feel like I really do need to use what I have, although I have a few boxes of dye (golden blonde, im naturally dark ash blonde) and since I dont style my hair, im going virgin, and its poker straight (I buy alot of stuff due to wishful thinking of curls) I think I may give some things to my mum and donate the Tony and Guy stuff to a shelter or something.

Here ends the confession!

triumphator!
July 23rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
Can shampoo bars go rancid?

I think it would take a couple years. I think Chagrin Valley's website answers that question, if I'm not mistaken.

SlightlySoprano
July 23rd, 2010, 09:10 AM
OK I need to jump on this bandwagon... I'll make a list later, as I'm running out to go buy new cross training sneakers (yay!) but I wanted to make sure I said I'd join so that I have no choice when I get home:p

LouLaLa
July 23rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
OK I need to jump on this bandwagon... I'll make a list later, as I'm running out to go buy new cross training sneakers (yay!) but I wanted to make sure I said I'd join so that I have no choice when I get home:p

:cheese:
Good luck! Im sure it will be really rewarding and curiosly satisfying when we use the last item up!

sweet*things
July 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
I went away on vacation and came home with a bunch of small bottles of shampoo/conditioner/cream rinse looted from the resort. I thought I'd be safe from that since normally hotel shampoos, etc. are yucky, but this place had really nice stuff. Honey Mango scented and full of quality ingredients. I couldn't resist. :o

Back on the wagon...

SlightlySoprano
July 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
OK home now:

Garnier Fructise Triple Moisture Shampoo
" Conditioner
" 3 minute mask <-- two of these
Denorex dandruff shampoo
V05 Conditioner - Kiwi lime
V05 Conditioner - passionfruit smoothie
White Rain Clarifying Shampoo
Charles Worthington London Curl Perfection Results defining cream (which i might throw out, its got so much garbage in it!!!)
1/2 of a HUGE bottle of Organix coconut milk SLS free shampoo (does anybody want this? my hair hates it)
CV Cafe Moreno sample bar

Not tooooo bad, but still!

I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HAIR PRODUCT UNTIL I HAVE FINISHED WHAT I HAVE. done.

GRU
July 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Good job, SS!!!!

HintOfMint
July 25th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I went away on vacation and came home with a bunch of small bottles of shampoo/conditioner/cream rinse looted from the resort. I thought I'd be safe from that since normally hotel shampoos, etc. are yucky, but this place had really nice stuff. Honey Mango scented and full of quality ingredients. I couldn't resist. :o

Back on the wagon...

Doesn't count as buying new stuff since you didn't spend extra money on them!:) It's not as if you can get a cheaper rate from the resort if you swear not to use their shampoo.

Honey mango sounds delightful. Enjoy!

Jezerellica
July 25th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Oh man!! I am so in!! I have so much shampoo it will last until the rapture, but I have to keep buying conditioner. Bleh

My list of treatments is so long, I wish my hair were that long!!

I have a question though. If the product is bad for your hair type and you didn't know it when you bought it...do I have to use it up? It is the wise $$ thing to do, but my hairrrrrr. Ok, forget it. I will donate it to my Mother who will enjoy it and not care about the results!!

Can''t wait to rid my cuboard of useless hair stuff!!

LouLaLa
July 25th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Oh man!! I am so in!! I have so much shampoo it will last until the rapture, but I have to keep buying conditioner. Bleh

My list of treatments is so long, I wish my hair were that long!!

I have a question though. If the product is bad for your hair type and you didn't know it when you bought it...do I have to use it up? It is the wise $$ thing to do, but my hairrrrrr. Ok, forget it. I will donate it to my Mother who will enjoy it and not care about the results!!

Can''t wait to rid my cuboard of useless hair stuff!!

I dont heat style anymore so I gave all my things to my mum she was thrilled! I also did her hair in a big blow out style as she dosent care about using blow dryers, so Ive started using up alot of my heat products by offering to give others hair do's as a treat, as I enjoy the creativity I just dont want to damage
my own hair. You could also donate to a shelter or something.

Its nice to try use it yourself, but if something just dosent agree with your hair then I dont see the point in going with it,I had a bottle of origins rose shampoo once and it made my scap go crusty, yes crusty! :confused: There was no way as much as I dont like waste that I could use that stuff!

Someone else may like it so its still getting used up and may do more good.
Good luck with the challenge!

triumphator!
July 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I used up my shampoo and conditioner! Woohoo! I took the liberty of restocking on those, since those are my restock items, and I sort of got a little silly and bought a some samples of shampoo bars, instead of another bottle of shampoo. I still get to restock on conditioner toooo yayyy. I also included some other items I hadn't before, like the hairspray, just for full disclosure!

Here is my updated stash...

Shampoo:

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition-- GONE!
Suave Naturals Daily Clarifying (use in rotation)
Ayurvedic Herbs CV shampoo bar sample - New
Cafe Moreno CV shampoo bar sample- New
Rosemary Mint CV shampoo bar sample- New
Buttery Conditioner shampoo bar sample- NewConditioner:

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition-- GONE! Gonna get more.
Leave ins & DTs:

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine leave-in conditioner-- 1/2 gone!
Honey -- 1/2 gone! (But only 'cause I've been eating it too:D)
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel
Homemade frizz gel made of the Sleek & Shine leave-in and aloe gel
Nightblooming Panacea Hair Salve sample
Nightblooming Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil sample
Palmer's Coconut Repairing Conditioner (since I used up my Triple Nutrition, which was doing double duty for SMTs and regular conditioning, so this one is strictly for SMTs)- NewOther:

1 Gallon of distilled water
750ml of Apple Cider Vinegar
Hair, Skin & Nails supplement (collagen + biotin + gelatin)
Adult Gummy Vitamins :D
Monistat
Garnier Fructis Anti-Humidity Hairspray--the bamboo kind (keeps my Gibson Tuck from being a Gibson F***, teehee :eyebrows:)

Cleopatra18
July 26th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I think i will restock on those shampoo bars really soon,those shops close by the end of the summer and i dont think i want to miss the chance of buying something that FINALLY WORKS on my hair.

triumphator!
July 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I think i will restock on those shampoo bars really soon,those shops close by the end of the summer and i dont think i want to miss the chance of buying something that FINALLY WORKS on my hair.

Do it :) Your hair won't be as happy using up your stash, right?

Kristin
July 26th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Triumphator- I thought I was the dragon with the treasure! You have quite a list going yourself! ;)

I think I'm going to need to get some aloe gel at some point. I got a bit burned over the last couple days so I used a good portion of it, plus I've done two SMTs and I use it almost every day as a facial moisturizer.

triumphator!
July 26th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Triumphator- I thought I was the dragon with the treasure! You have quite a list going yourself! ;)

Hahaha! Blame on the LHC... that should be new LHC slang... the ones we call dragons have big piles of awesome products/hairtoys/etc :)

Messyhair
July 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I have a TON of conditioner because my hair only likes Biolage Conditioning Balm in the winter, so I stock up when it's on sale. Right now I have three tubs or more, but they won't get used until winter. I'm trying to use up the other conditioners I have for now - been doing that since Christmas or even before. Unfortunately, I've used up all of my excess shampoos, so I need to buy it regularly again. There is a downside to trying to use up the stash - haha!

Cleopatra18
July 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I was cleaning out everything today and threw some stuff,this is the updated list:
1.tresseme moisture rich shampoo (main)-->considered gone
2.herbal essences break's over shampoo (smells like heaven)-->half bottle left
3.strawberry shampoo (spanish or something)--->considered gone
4.Morrocan shampoo bars--->probably a new staple product
Conditioners:
leave-ins:
Oils:
1.hemp seed oil
2.Olive oil
3.Coconut oil---->half jar left
4.Onion oil
5.Castor oil
6.Apricot oil
7.black currant seed oil
11.ginger oil---->gone
Randoms:
1.about 500gm henna
2.cayenne pepper --->gone
3.apple cider vinegar
4.lotion for alopecia
5.about 75 ml glycerin
I also had a bottle of an oil mix i made before and i threw it away cause i am sure i will not use it.i didnt get rid of alot but it will make a diffrence with me.

SlightlySoprano
July 29th, 2010, 08:38 AM
UPDATE:

" Conditioner
" 3 minute mask <-- two of these <-- ONE GONE!
Denorex dandruff shampoo
Charles Worthington London Curl Perfection Results defining cream (which i might throw out, its got so much garbage in it!!!) <-- Will probably keep this somewhere for special occasions, but I don't think I should count it on this list, seeing as I don't use it on a regular basis.
1/2 of a HUGE bottle of Organix coconut milk SLS free shampoo (does anybody want this? my hair hates it) <--Going to throw this away! Began using it again, and hair came out in CLUMPS!
CV Cafe Moreno sample bar <-- 1/2 gone

curlytm
July 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM
SlightlySoprano! Cleopatra18! triumphator!! Way to go with the product usage!! I'm so glad this thread is still churning along. Tonight, after work, I'll re-assess the things I've used up. I know I have tanked a bottle of conditioner and a bottle of product, but I don't remember which ones I have used.

Cleopatra18
July 31st, 2010, 02:36 PM
hey everyone,i stocked up on the shampoo bars today and hopefully this will be my last purchase for the YEAR! wish me luck :P
how's everyone doing?

Wally
August 1st, 2010, 08:16 AM
I cheated. My daughter is visiting and she took the products that didn't make the grade off my hands. So I am down to one shampoo, three conditioners, aloe gel and coco oil, all of which I use regularly. It's a good feeling. :D

x0h_bother
August 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hello Everyone, I need to become a part of this thread now.
I have been spying on it and I made the decision when in the shower today.
My goal is to use everything as much as I can by December.
All types of products will be used, cone free, coney, etc., but only poos, treaments and conditioners. I made this choice because I have come to the conclusion that all types are useful to my hair in different ways. For example, I have stopped shedding now so I have reintroduced a product that wasn't good when I was shedding.
I thought about taking pictures of my stash but decided that it would be very defeatest to do that. So when I use up a product I will announce.
I'm really excited and I know it will help me save money this year :)

chrissy-b
August 5th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Hi all! :waving: I need to join this thread.

I have enough conditioner, oils and butters to last me until next spring for sure, possibly next summer and shampoo to last me -- well, maybe forever. I considered giving the stuff away, but I'm trying to save money. I've been using several cone conditioners that aren't my favorites but since I wear my hair up all the time, it doesn't really matter. Plus they're actually working pretty well in this summer humidity.

HintOfMint
August 6th, 2010, 02:13 AM

I'd say give away as much as you can, and be nice to yourself and start off with a clean slate with only your essentials :)

Looks like I'll be falling off the wagon:p Although, good news! Thanks to this challenge, I have used up almost all of my conditioner and aloe gel! I never would have thought to doctor my old bottles of V05 or use them in the first leg of CWC, unless I had to.

Now for the fun part. I came up with a shopping list of what I'll need to replace and I've tailored it to only what I use in my routine. I CWC, am cone-free, am a moisture-junkie (regular SMTs), and use coconut oil as a leave-in.
My shopping list:
1 shampoo
1 Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (YAY! How I've missed it!)
1 or 2 V05s
1 bottle of honey
1 tube of CVS aloe vera gel
1 bottle of coconut oil

I'll still have some of my old stash in the form of pomade and hair straightening balm which I can keep in my carry-on in the airplane. I just didn't want to put huge bottles in my suitcase where it will get knocked around. But I'm not re-buying hairspray. I rarely need it and I want to see how

One question though. I've been wanting to try some shea butter for weeks now. Should I use this opportunity to add it to my stash? Or should I keep my routine as spartan as possible?

LouLaLa
August 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Ok so heres my progress so far

Tony and Guy Clarifying Shampoo-2 down to 1
Nicky Clarke Colour Therapy conditioner dark blonde-[COLOR="red"]2 (used 1 now)[/COLOR (gone!)
]Denise McAdam was in hair colour in ashk blonde-2
Denise McAdam Shine Spray-2 (i love this and theyve been discontinued so thats my excuse )
Denise McAdam Frizz serum 1/2 bottle
Denise McAdam heat defence spray (not sure what do do with this as i no longer use heat on hair :s but I may keep it for the rare times I do style eg xmas, work do's)VO5 Perfect lengths hair mousse
Tesco kids hair detangler in passionfruit 1/2 bottle
Patnene Pro V Leave in Hair Conditioner only 1/4 bottle left
Gliss Reflex Shine Care
Sunsilk "Anti Flat"

Im not really sure how long it will take to use up these things as alot are styling products and after reading the article on hair damage and seeing the images of the damage mousse etc does I sort of wonder if I should just give some products to my mum.

Im prtty much out of conditioner now as I only CO but I did find a James Brown London Conditioner about the house so ill use that before buying more.

Im enjoying this challenge its quite liberating using up your stuff!

On the makeup front ive used up a tube of eyecream, a whole pot of dove face cream and about 4 bottles of moisturiser (which I have too much of :S) Oh and a bottle of grapeseed oil!

x0h_bother
August 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition-- [COLOR=Red]GONE! Gonna get more.
I stare at my bottle of this conditioner in my shower and since it is almost gone I
think, "What will I do when this runs out?" I really SHOULDN'T buy more, but at the same time...It is helpful. :confused: It's not that much money but I really am hoping to use up some stock.

may1em
August 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Good idea!

Here's my list:
*half full VO5 extra body conditioner yoinked from the BF (he wasn't using it!)
Kiss My Face whenever conditioner
*Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner

Kenra clarifying shampoo
Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo (I'm not entirely convinced you CAN use this stuff up).
*GoodonyaToo acai acai salty dawg shampoo
*Aubrey Organics calaguala fern shampoo (almost gone!)
TWINK beauty shampoo bar (need to finish up some other stuff first!)

Organix coconut oil serum
organix pomegranate mousse
*tresemme dry shampoo
*garnier triple nutrition shine spray

However, I am in need of a new hairbrush, so I will be buying one of those. But I will agree not to buy any more products until everything starred is gone.

Carolyn
August 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Should I just use this opportunity to start over for the semester and just not let myself get into over-buying habits in the first place? Or does anybody have any suggestions for shipping/transporting such liquids without it squirting and leaking all over the place?Why not leave the things you have now at home and get new products when you get to school? You'll have products on hand to use when you go home and you won't have to worry about transporting them a long distance?

klcqtee
August 6th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I pawned off my sleek and shine spray stuff on my friend! Yay! One less cone-y project to get rid of!

HintOfMint
August 6th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Why not leave the things you have now at home and get new products when you get to school? You'll have products on hand to use when you go home and you won't have to worry about transporting them a long distance?

That's pretty much the best option. Not to tempt anyone, but I did post a shopping list.
1 shampoo
1 Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (YAY! How I've missed it!)
1 or 2 V05s
1 bottle of honey
1 tube of CVS aloe vera gel
1 bottle of coconut oil

And I decided to use this restocking opportunity to get a tin of shea butter. At least I'll still get to experiment without going overboard and losing sight of what I already have.

SlightlySoprano
August 6th, 2010, 11:54 PM
UPDATE:

" Conditioner
" 3 minute mask <-- one left
Denorex dandruff shampoo <-- GONE
CV Cafe Moreno sample bar <-- 1/2 gone

x0h_bother
August 8th, 2010, 01:38 AM
One Head and Shoulders poo gone! My dear fiance has helped with that.
On the flip side I have 2 more to eat through.
So I have been resisting (with hands shaking) buying conditioners (poos and conditioners are off limits for this challenge). But I somehow bought 3 heat protection/leave in spray bottles I have been craving since I ran out (3 for $30, saved $15).
But they are not in the challenge.

To go on a tangent, I originally bought the spray for a crazy $2.99 from Christmas tree shops back when Christmas tree shops received products from stores that were done with them. Well now Christmas tree shops receives drugstore stock and no longer receives seconds, driving the prices way, way up to being comparable to drugstore. This spray retails for $13.99, so I was pretty mad. Then Nexxus reformulated and now the originals are not only hard to find online but are EXPENSIVE I'm talking $17.99 and up. So I got a good deal on Amazon and with shipping bought 3 for $30 (I would have bought more to stock up but they were limited in quantity :(). Anyways, product rant, but I am glad to have my coveted and much needed spray.

Tonks
August 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Almost done my bottle of Herbal Essences conditioner :D

VitaR86
August 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on a good way to use up a sulfate and cone filled shampoo?

x0h_bother
August 9th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on a good way to use up a sulfate and cone filled shampoo?
I use one (head and shoulders) I couple it with a coney cond. If your hair doesn't like it I would suggest finding someone else to use it or try using it in the wintertime- your hair needs may be seasonal, I know mine are. Personally I can't use humectants or cone-free until winter.

Cleopatra18
August 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM
so i havent broken the challenge yet,but i am literally dying here because i want to purchase rice bran oil and sunflower oil which got ceramides and i feel like i need them badly,i still got tons of oils (and products) to go but I am losing it :(! HELP!

Tonks
August 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM
So! I've decided to go for my dreadlock dream once again, meaning I only really need to be using one thing on my head, and that's natural, residue-free shampoo, which I have. This is what my list looks like, as I have hanna on my head as I type:

- An almost-full bottle of Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Shampoo (WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS?)
- 1/2 a bottle of Nature Clean Au Naturelle Herbal Shampoo (Will be using to clean dreads.)
- An almost-fill bottle of Sweet Almond Oil (I use this on my face.)
- 1/3 bottle of Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Conditioner DONE! [August 11, 2010]
- two squares left of Lush Caca Rouge henna DONE! [August 11, 2010]
- a full bottle of Silkience Regeneration Silky-Smooth Conditioner (I use this for shaving.)
- 1/3 bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo (Used to clarify before henna and dreads. What should I do with it?)
- 1/3 bottle of Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze Conditioner DONE! [July 14, 2010]
- 80 mL bottle of Biosilk Silk Therapy (What should I do with it?)

Now I'm at a loss for a few things on my list, because I don't know what to do with them. Thoughts?

lhangel9
August 11th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm definately in. And that also includes my supplements and herbs. I keep hearing of new things & then I buy them when I still have others left over. I do the same with my conditioners, etc. I'm in!:)

Joliebaby
August 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I'm on a simple living -minimalism kick :) I was doing perfectly with my haircare, I only had two shampoos and two conditioners (rotated) and some shea butter. I would only buy more when I was running low. THEN I CAME BACK TO LHC LOL!

There was a sale on all Phyto stuff, everything was 7 or 10 euros where usually it is 14-36 euros. I'd been looking at it but didn't want to get anything so expensive. So now I bought 3 shampoos, 3 deep conditioners, 1 regular conditioner and five (yes five) Phyto 9 & 7 leave in-conditioners. This is my first time using the leave-in's and they are perfect :)

Then I ordered Mega Tek rebuilder and Avocado mist, yet to arrive.

In addition I have one L'Occitane shampoo and conditioner that I'm using currently, one half full restructuing treatment and one more Korres shampoo that I'm also using as a bodywash. I used Korres for a couple of years (with some Phyto) but I'm not restocking as I have all that Phyto stuff now.

Oh and how could I forget, GN Triple Nutrition was on sale as well so I got 4 bottles as I'd just gone through a couple super fast in SMT's.

I used half of my left over organic shea butter to mix Fox' conditioner and been using that every day (Love it and gave some to my long haired nieces too!)

I don't count my honey (which I'm out of, again!) and coconut oil and wheat germ oil, since I use them in the kitchen as well!!

Oh and I have a bunch of Chagrin Valley shampoo bars that I just never got around to using.... Pheww.
So that's:

SHAMPOO

3 Phyto Shampoos
1 half full L'Occitane Shampoo
1 almost empty Korres shampoo

CONDITIONERS

3 Phyto Deep treatment jars
1 Phyto conditioner
4 GN Triple Moisture Conditioners
1 half full L'Occitane conditioner
1 Mega Tek rebuilder
1 half full Cutrin self heating reconstructing mask
1 almost empty Rauch deep treatment

LEAVE-IN's

1 Mega Tek Avocado mist leave-in spray
5 Phyto 9 & 7 leave-in treatments
1 jar Fox' sheabutter conditioner

AND a bunch of CV shampoo bars - not sure what to do with these!! Maybe just use them as soap??? Or venture into the shampoo bar washing???

I have no styling products whatsoever.

So the only things here that is "old stash" is those shampoo bars. Everything else is recently purchased and gladly used. I JUST WANT TO STOP HERE. (The only thing I'm "missing" is aloe vera gel, it's been on my mental shopping list for a few weeks.. I want to add it to my SMT'S as I've been just using honey.)

And that goes for hair toys too. I really did need something to hold my thick, 27" hair up, but did I need 5 Ficcares??? One or two might have done it. I just couldn't choose just one or two colors. Or actually I first bought one to try, and been wearing it every day since, so I ordered more for variety! I don't regret those either, as I'm wearing my hair up every day now and really had nothing beyond elastics and some hair sticks, which are not practical with a 1 year old child.....

I wonder how long this will see me through? Probably well into next year. I do tend to use product liberally and my hair takes a lot of conditioner even at this length. SMT's suck a lot conditioner as well.

I really like what I had going on before, only two of each shampoo and conditioner in my shower! Sometimes I would have a third waiting, because I was ordering my stuff online and didn't want to bother for every bottle, so I ordered two, or sometimes three, of each. Sometimes I was so low that I only had one half used bottle of each! But since I'd been wanting those Phyto deep treatments (36 euros, whoa!!) and found them so much discounted I just had to stock up.

I will use all those half empty bottles first before taking out the Phyto.

So consider this early preventative method.

deko
August 12th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'm SO in.

I have got about 25 bottles of hair stuff and I'm not counting herbs or oils.

I must not buy anything new this year. Only exception is some cheap mild condish to rinse out henna (I don't want to use my "good" conditioners to this).

To the end of the year 2010 I hope to have my stash to ca. 10 bottles. Or less.

I'll add my product info later when I count the bottles.

Joliebaby
August 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM
I aim for under 10 bottles at any one time. :)

I could do with 6 products in active use:

2 shampoos
2 conditioners
1 leave-in cream
1 mister

and have four products on stock at most :)

Right now I have 16 full bottles, but I'm not touching them until I finish of the half empty ones.

LouLaLa
August 12th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I have finished another bottle of conditioner and two nail varnishes wohooo

Only another zillion products to go :p

I am however saving a small fortune and finally using things ive never tried before which just sat about, my buying was out of control!

x0h_bother
August 12th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I broke down..and bought shampoo..BUT I may give it to my fiance. After trying it. Or trade with him for one of my other poos. Even though I stalked them...I did not buy any conditioners. It's killing me :wail:.

chloeishere
August 13th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Congratulations LouLaLa! I have never finished off a nail polish, so I am very impressed that you finished off two! I have probably 30 bottles, all almost full. :o I'm not buying any more though! I henna my toenails anyway, and I never paint my fingernails.

x0h-- conditioner is my true weakness too. I don't feel as bad about the occasional shampoo, but conditioner I can't let go of my iron control for even a minute, or I WILL buy one every few weeks! At least you avoided the conditioner desire.

Progress report: finished off another GVP conditioning balm bottle (it was mostly empty though), and a shampoo-- Ion Moisturizing! Also finished off a shower gel, bath and body works sweat pea scent. The last one isn't in this challenge (since it's just hair stuff), but I am trying to use up all the shower gel I have (I get some for Christmas from people every year, and I don't really like shower gel... but I hate wasting it, or having it sit around), and all the stashed cold processed soap I've got around too.

I've been doing more CO lately because I've been working out (requiring a hair wash more often than I really need shampoo on my scalp), so I am almost out of 3 conditioners that have been sitting around for at least a year! There's always more, but I am starting to feel like less of a hoarder!

deko
August 13th, 2010, 12:06 PM
This is so wrong time to do this :)

The new Body Shop rainforest line is calling my name, loudly. I try to ignore it but it's hard.

Joliebaby
August 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Update:

SHAMPOO

3 Phyto Shampoos
1 almost empty Korres shampoo-GONE (used at my dad's place and left the rest there to use next time :D

CONDITIONERS

3 Phyto Deep treatment jars
1 Phyto conditioner
4 GN Triple Moisture Conditioners
1 Mega Tek rebuilder
1 half full Wella self heating reconstructing mask-GONE! It was less full than I thought
1 almost empty Rauch deep treatment -GONE (used in sauna on sat. and left the rest of the tube at my dad's :D

LEAVE-IN's

1 Mega Tek Avocado mist leave-in spray
5 Phyto 9 & 7 leave-in treatments

AND a bunch of CV shampoo bars - not sure what to do with these!! Maybe just use them as soap??? Or venture into the shampoo bar washing???

- Going to try out shampoo bar washing!

I got aloe vera gel finally, it's the kind to take internally too so I'm doing that as well as SMT's so I don't count it as a hair product anyways.

sibiryachka
August 16th, 2010, 04:09 PM
This is killing me! I'm sooooo ready to try sulfate-free shampoo, but am committed to using up the shampoo I currently have (1/2 bottle VO5 Calming Chamomile, 2/3 bottle Ayur henna & tulsi, unopened bottle VO5 anti-breakage) first. It will be weeks and weeks before I accomplish that. I'm still going to keep a sulfatey shampoo on hand just for clarifying too, but I only clarify once a month or so, so I don't feel like it counts...

MandyBeth
August 16th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Can I use up all but the conditioner? I have one brand and open bottle. I just have 27 bottles because it's the only one that works and I must not run low or they will change the formula.

silverjen
August 16th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I've been water only for two years and still have 5 bottles sitting under the sink! Ridiculous. Time to toss the shampoos. The conditioners get some use while henna-ing, though.

Cleopatra18
August 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
I used up the garlic oil and peppermint oil,detailed update in my blog.

alwayssmiling
August 18th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I did something "interesting" yesterday. I had lots nearly used up conditioners and leave ins, I emptied them all into an empty pot, mixed them up and added some EVO, shea butter and castor oil. I used it as a DT and it was pretty good. I have another couple of treatments left from my mixture and have been able to throw a few empty bottles away, my stash has suddenly depleted!

Cleopatra18
August 18th, 2010, 11:55 AM
I did something "interesting" yesterday. I had lots nearly used up conditioners and leave ins, I emptied them all into an empty pot, mixed them up and added some EVO, shea butter and castor oil. I used it as a DT and it was pretty good. I have another couple of treatments left from my mixture and have been able to throw a few empty bottles away, my stash has suddenly depleted!
I did the same with my oils,managed to finish two bottles,and hoping to finish more soon.now if anyone has a remedy to remove that horrible garlic smell from my hair :disgust:

LouLaLa
August 18th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Tony and Guy Clarifying Shampoo-2 down to 1 GONE
Nicky Clarke Colour Therapy conditioner dark blonde-2 (used 1 now)[/COLOR (gone!)
]Denise McAdam was in hair colour in ashk blonde-2
Denise McAdam Shine Spray-2 (i love this and theyve been discontinued so thats my excuse )
Denise McAdam Frizz serum 1/2 bottle [COLOR="red"]1/4 bottle
Denise McAdam heat defence spray (not sure what do do with this as i no longer use heat on hair :s but I may keep it for the rare times I do style eg xmas, work do's)VO5 Perfect lengths hair mousse
Tesco kids hair detangler in passionfruit 1/2 bottle 1/4 bottle
Patnene Pro V Leave in Hair Conditioner only 1/4 bottle left
Gliss Reflex Shine Care
Sunsilk "Anti Flat"

I have now worked my way through some more items...
I have used up clearasil face wash, 2 more nail varnishes, a tub of dove moisturiser anf im well on the way to seeing off a few bottle of body moisturiser and various shower washes.

I still have lots of "styling" products left in my list but my mums work is collecting for a womens shelter so rather than try find ways to use them, since the are brand new I think ill donate them to these ladies, I think I may also give them my hair straighteners as I dont use them.

Im pretty happy with my progress and we had honey and EVOO in my kitchen that my mum said I can have, so thats helped me avoid the urge to buy deep treatment products :D

The ammount of money I am saving and the space I am creating by curbing my buying is crazy :o

Chestershire
August 18th, 2010, 12:26 PM
These ones REALLY need to be gone. They're.. not great. And I'd like to test new ones, but that's not going to happen untill I've got some new space :D

Rituals Brilliant Bliss Shampoo
The Body Shop Amlika Leave in Condish
The Body Shop Brazil Nut Moisture Mask
Garnier's Ultra Doux Condish 'Au beurre de cacao et huile de coco' condish. Bought in France :D
Guhl Colorshine Brown Daily Protect & Care

dreamsofthewind
August 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Oh my, I have so many hair products.
I am vowing to give away my stash instead of using it up. Most of my products are for short hair, so I will give them to my younger brother.
My other products are either chock-full of cones, (I am trying to cut back,) or for curly hair (which I don't have.)
So, my super-cone products will be given to my cousin, because she uses them regularly, and my curly hair products will be given to my sister, who is going away to university, and won't be able to afford them anymore.

I am left with:
a leave-in spray
herbal essences shampoo + conditioner
tresemme fresh start dry shampoo
murray's pomade
4 mini samples of Lush solid shampoo/conditioner
lottabody setting lotion
and freakishly strong hold hairspray.
(this is after getting rid of at least 15 products that i don't/can't use anymore)

after I use up my shampoo + conditioner I will be looking for a cone free replacement. the same with my leave in conditioner. I plan on buying almond oil as a replacement for that.

Joliebaby
August 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Can I use up all but the conditioner? I have one brand and open bottle. I just have 27 bottles because it's the only one that works and I must not run low or they will change the formula.

Wow you have serious love for this conditioner, 27 bottles:eek:

I find myself thinking I should get a couple of more Phyto deep treatments (I opened the Phytokarité because I didn't have any deep condish left, and my hair just ate it up.. will not last long, that one jar!! And since it's only 10 e versus the usual 36 e..:o) I've also used 1/3 tube of the Phyto9 leave-in in like two weeks, if that... I will have NO problem using this stuff:eyebrows:

Kristin
August 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM
UPDATE:
Oils
1/2 tub coconut
1 bottle grapeseed
1/2 bottle almond
1-1/4 bottles jojoba- Down to one bottle!

3/4 jar shea butter
1 sample bottle NB Triple Moon Anointing OilStyling Products

Ion Glossing Mist- gave away!

Ion Lusterizing Cream
Ion Heat Protectant Spray- gave away!

Ion Frizz Eliminating Styler- gave away!

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock- gave away!

CHI Silk Infusion
GF Nutrient Spray
1 tube aloe gel- gone, but I bought a big one to use on my skin
1 small bottle LUSH Cynthia Sylvia Stout- down to 1/2 bottle!

some Trichomania
1 bottle Nizoral- gave away!

1 bottle Avalon Organics Lemon- DBF is using

1/2 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream- DBF is using

1/3 large bottle Mane N' Tail- DBF is using
Conditioners

some LUSH Jungle
1/3 bottle 365 Lavender
1 large and 1 small GF Triple Nutrition- down to large bottle!

1 bottle Giovanni Triple Tea Treat
1-1/4 bottle Giovanni Smooth as Silk- down to one bottle!

1-1/3 GVP Joico K-Pak
1-1/2 tubes Ion Extreme Moisture Nurturing Creme- gave away one bottle and may give away the other

4-1/2 bottles VO5 Kiwi Lime- down to two bottles

1 bottle VO5 Blackberry sage- GONE!

1/2 bottle VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea- GONE!

1/2 bottle VO5 Strawberries and Cream- belongs to the dog

1-1/2 bottles Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner- gave away one bottle and may give away the other

1/2 bottle 365 Citrus Grapefruit- GONE!

1 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Cream- gave away

1/2 bottle Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist
1/8 bottle Paul Mitchell SuperSkinny Serum- gave awayYay!!! I haven't purchased ANY hair products!

Cleopatra18
August 18th, 2010, 06:46 PM
UPDATE:

Oils
1/2 tub coconut
1 bottle grapeseed
1/2 bottle almond
1-1/4 bottles jojoba- Down to one bottle!

3/4 jar shea butter
1 sample bottle NB Triple Moon Anointing Oil
Styling Products
Ion Glossing Mist- gave away!

Ion Lusterizing Cream
Ion Heat Protectant Spray- gave away!

Ion Frizz Eliminating Styler- gave away!

John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shine Shock- gave away!

CHI Silk Infusion
GF Nutrient Spray
1 tube aloe gel- gone, but I bought a big one to use on my skin
1 small bottle LUSH Cynthia Sylvia Stout- down to 1/2 bottle!

some Trichomania
1 bottle Nizoral- gave away!

1 bottle Avalon Organics Lemon- DBF is using

1/2 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Cream- DBF is using

1/3 large bottle Mane N' Tail- DBF is using

Conditioners
some LUSH Jungle
1/3 bottle 365 Lavender
1 large and 1 small GF Triple Nutrition- down to large bottle!

1 bottle Giovanni Triple Tea Treat
1-1/4 bottle Giovanni Smooth as Silk- down to one bottle!

1-1/3 GVP Joico K-Pak
1-1/2 tubes Ion Extreme Moisture Nurturing Creme- gave away one bottle and may give away the other

4-1/2 bottles VO5 Kiwi Lime- down to two bottles

1 bottle VO5 Blackberry sage- GONE!

1/2 bottle VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea- GONE!

1-1/2 bottles Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner- gave away one bottle and may give away the other

1/2 bottle 365 Citrus Grapefruit- GONE!

1 bottle Neutrogena Triple Moisture Leave-In Cream- gave away

1/2 bottle Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Moisture Mist
1/8 bottle Paul Mitchell SuperSkinny Serum- gave awayYay!!! I haven't purchased ANY hair products!
Wow kristin,thats some progress! good job!

may1em
August 20th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Update:

Here's my list:
*half full VO5 extra body conditioner yoinked from the BF (he wasn't using it!) now only one use left!
Kiss My Face whenever conditioner
*Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner

Kenra clarifying shampoo
Queen Helene Mint Julep shampoo (I'm not entirely convinced you CAN use this stuff up).
*GoodonyaToo acai acai salty dawg shampoo
*Aubrey Organics calaguala fern shampoo (GONE!)
TWINK beauty shampoo bar (need to finish up some other stuff first!)

Organix coconut oil serum
organix pomegranate mousse
*tresemme dry shampoo
*garnier triple nutrition shine spray

I did buy a new hairbrush, and I like it. Now I have bedroom tools and bathroom tools. I also got another bottle of VO5 conditioner because it was 77 cents at Kroger.

I'm also trying to use up some makeup and skin care stuff, too - I finished off trial sizes of toner and face wash today! And I'm almost done with a pressed powder foundation!

Cleopatra18
August 20th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Im going to be honest and admit that i baught a bottle of rice bran oil,but I was really needing it so I think it's ok.Problem is my aunt just gave me what looks like 3 kgs or more of yemeni henna,I dont know what to do with it. I used to henna regularly and I have no problem with the colour since I am a brunette anyway,but I wanted to give it up since I have plans of getting highlights in the future.
btw does anyone here use baking soda to clarify? I tried it and I have no idea what I did wrong,My hair just feels coated in a strange way.

klcqtee
August 21st, 2010, 11:18 AM
Im going to be honest and admit that i baught a bottle of rice bran oil,but I was really needing it so I think it's ok.Problem is my aunt just gave me what looks like 3 kgs or more of yemeni henna,I dont know what to do with it. I used to henna regularly and I have no problem with the colour since I am a brunette anyway,but I wanted to give it up since I have plans of getting highlights in the future.
btw does anyone here use baking soda to clarify? I tried it and I have no idea what I did wrong,My hair just feels coated in a strange way.

You could try selling/trading the henna on the swap board. I believe that's allowed.

smileycat
August 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
I need to join! I just counted 15 full bottles off conditioner in my cupboard, one of them a bottle of Suave Strawberry purchase this morning despite knowing I stashed a full bottle in their purchase last weekend (I mostly CO wash, and Suave Strawberry does my color and texture right). Oh, and um, I have 4 more bottles of conditioner in my shower in varying states of use.

5 bottles V05 varying (one slightly used)
approx. 6 full bottles Suave conditioners - varying
6 full + 1 mostly used bottles AO conditioner (some I can only use for DT)
2 large + 1 mostly used bottles Lush Veganese

i am probably missing something. I shampoo once or twice a week, but for whatever reason I don't stock shampoos like I do the conditioners, so I may need to buy a bottle before the end of the year. I don't use styling products, but I do have three containers of conditioning balms I made with Lush Veganese that my ends just love. I think I could probably go the rest of the year with no purchase except maybe shampoo, and I may just have enough of that with the one large bottle I have, too.

smileycat
August 22nd, 2010, 06:53 AM
5 bottles V05 varying (one slightly used)
approx. 6 full bottles Suave conditioners - varying
6 full + 1 mostly used bottles AO conditioner (some I can only use for DT)
2 large + 1 mostly used bottles Lush Veganese

I am down to 4 bottles of AO conditioner. My sister called to complain about her latest bad layers haircut and the fried up damage she is getting from all the heat she is using to style. I gave her a couple to try (along with two unopened bottles of AO Vegecol cleanser which my rosacea-ridden skin used to love but then flipped out on... ah, yes, I figure if I am ordering I am going to stock a little which is probably what got me into this predicament in the first place :D). Cheating? I hated the smell of the one and the other Jojoba Aloe is just way to moisturizing for me.

Cleopatra18
August 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I used up HE break's over mask today,the results were really good i might repurchase when i'm done with my stash.BTW how often does everyone use protein? am i supposed to do it when my hair needs it or regularly (aka every 2 months or so) ???

Joliebaby
August 25th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Update:

SHAMPOO

4 Phyto Shampoos

CONDITIONERS

3+1 opened Phyto Deep treatment jars
1 Phyto conditioner
3 GN Triple Moisture Conditioners down one from 4 bottles
1 opened Mega Tek rebuilder

LEAVE-IN's

1opened Mega Tek Avocado mist leave-in spray
7 + 1 opened Phyto 9 & 7 leave-in treatments

- Going to try out shampoo bar washing!

I got aloe vera gel finally, it's the kind to take internally too so I'm doing that as well as SMT's so I don't count it as a hair product anyways.

Here's my update - I used up one Triple nutrition and started up a Phyto deep conditioner - but I bought another Phyto shampoo (why did I do that, as I plan to use shampoo bars as well???? Oh well, my husband can use some of my shampoos too.) another Phytokarité deep conditioner and a few more Phyto9&7 leave-in's. I totally love love love them, and I've already used half a tube so they really don't last me that long. Besides, they were only 6 euros now!!! The phytokarité is also just so very rich and great for my hair...I go though quite a bit of conditioner, the shampoos tend to last much longer..

I really don't like the smell of Mega Tek and avocado mist though so I won't be buying them again. It's just way too strong, artificial, cheapo smell. I will use them but not buy more. Mega Tek is pre-shampoo treatment and the mist is.. well, a mist. The spray bottle is cool looking once I removed the sticker but the spray is so obviously meant for horses, it's squirt gun :eek:

So yeah, not doing so well I guess, but now I'm really done buying more Phyto! Or anything else.

irishlady
August 25th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I like this!

here's my list:

Shampoo (1 bottle of each):

Kiss my Face Whenever Shampoo
Mane N Tail Original shampoo
Sulfate free Shampoo bar (don't know the brand, bought it from a healthfood store)

Conditioner (1 of each):

Kiss my Face Whenever conditioner
Mane N Tail Original conditioner

Styling Products:

Tresemme smoothing hair serum
John Frieda Frizz Ease hair serum

Oil:

Louana Pure Coconut Oil (bought when I was in USA) going to try Extra Virgin Unrefined when this is used up :)

x0h_bother
August 26th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Here is my stash!
I am moving and so it was easy to take a picture before I boxed it all up.
These are poos and conds and treatments I don't use much
http://i37.tinypic.com/25sr1hy.jpg
These are sprays and serums
http://i34.tinypic.com/s1olqv.jpg
And these are poos conds and treatments I use daily
http://i36.tinypic.com/20syjbm.jpg

Cleopatra18
August 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
WOW i LOVE ur stash! I also have the smooth n shine leave in conditioner,I totaly love it! what do you think of its deep conditioner? and reviews on the the sunsilk products please??

x0h_bother
August 26th, 2010, 10:17 PM
WOW i LOVE ur stash! I also have the smooth n shine leave in conditioner,I totaly love it! what do you think of its deep conditioner? and reviews on the the sunsilk products please??

The smooth n shine deep conditioner, is that a packet? Because if it is, I hated it. It did nothing good for me, and probably made my hair feel dry or gross.
I have one packet left, I think it was supposed to be pictured.
The sunsilk hydra tlc cond is good as a first C in CWC possibly for CO but I don't CO so I'm not sure. It is a good conditioner though, especially for winter. I kicked it out of my routine but I can't remember why. I had used it for a while, which is why I had stocked up :).

chloeishere
September 2nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
List of finished bottles so far:
1 bottle GVP Conditioning Balm
1 bottle Ion Moisturizing Shampoo
1 Bath and Body Works shower gel in sweet pea

To add, I just finished off
1 bottle of Trader Joe's Citrus Refresh conditioner
1 bottle Suave Green Apple conditioner

Both were just terrible for my hair. I added them to my pre-swim CO conditioners, and my hair got incredibly rough and tangled, to the point that I was considering a major cut! I added in some TJ's Nourish Spa/ Tresemme Naturals when I finished off those two bottles, and all the roughness and 90% of the tangles went away. Never again. They were both less than a quarter of the total volume, too! I can't believe how big an effect that was. I would not have used them if I had realized how harmful they were for my hair.

I am actually not sitting on as big of a stash as I thought. I don't think I'll make it to the end of the year, unless I have more than I think at my parents house. I need to get those this weekend... *makes note*

SlightlySoprano
September 2nd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Hey guys... long time no update... I think I might have to pause my challenge....

I was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis and now have prescription shampoo and very specific directions on what I can and can not use on my hair... so it looks like my stash might have to go back under the sink for the time being...:(

THIS STINKS:(

Cleopatra18
September 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM
Hey guys... long time no update... I think I might have to pause my challenge....

I was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis and now have prescription shampoo and very specific directions on what I can and can not use on my hair... so it looks like my stash might have to go back under the sink for the time being...:(

THIS STINKS:(
Aww I am so sorry to hear this :( Dont worry I think this challenge will go on longer than i thought (atleast for me),I really hope your scalp gets better soon.and hey it only means we will have you in this thread longer right :p

chloeishere
September 3rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your scalp problems, Suddenly Soprano! Don't worry about your stash, focus on getting healthy again. Good luck.

List of finished bottles so far:
1 bottle GVP Conditioning Balm
1 bottle Ion Moisturizing Shampoo
1 Bath and Body Works shower gel in sweet pea

To add, I just finished off
1 bottle of Trader Joe's Citrus Refresh conditioner
1 bottle Suave Green Apple conditioner

Adding:
1 bottle VO5 passionfruit smoothie conditioner

I had a lot more at my parents house than I thought, 1 bottle of shampoo (completely unused, it was a gift... it is cone-free, so I will use it though), 4 mostly used thin conefree conditioners (3 VO5, one Suave, one Suave that I gave to my mom to give away because the scent is so strong and unpleasant that it gives me a headache), 2 lightly cone-y conditioners that I can use since I'm swimming, and a cholesterol deep treatment. Also, a curl spray gel that's cone and alcohol free... I'll give it another try.

I mixed up the 1/8 bottle of passionfruit smoothie (that appears to have been leaking all over my pretty fabric bin) with some of the cholesterol treatment, and my favorite Ion protein, and covered my hair. I'm heat capped now... I need to do more deep treatments, and finding out all the stuff I still have is a good incentive!

It seems like a lot of bottles now, but most of them are almost empty, so I'll focus on using stuff up so I have more space!

julliams
September 4th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I haven't been updating here but I am slowly but surely getting through those products. It feels great to throw the empty bottle into recycling and there is more room on the shelves than before!!! I still have two bottles of shampoo, and about two bottles of conditioner (collectively - 3 individual bottles) which are excess bottles. I aquired a bottle each of shampoo and conditioner (given as a gift - not bought) which I am saving for when the others are used up. I should have enough to last me until Christmas.

Mirsha
September 4th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I need to join this. I am tempted to buy conditioner every single time I go to the store :(

So far I have:

Shampoo:
Syoss Volume Lift (currently using in Moo washes)
Dr Organic Tea Trea Shampoo (SLS/SLES and parabens free, makes scalp tingle, don't like the feeling)
Neutral perfume and colourant free (reminds me of wax and it's not gentle, at all)
Kyrell stylish red (my scalp HATED this, it's still half full.. need to think of a way to use it
Shegron Hair Repair (too much protein for me)
Dove purifying shampoo (my clarifying shampoo obviously)
L'Oreal Elvive Intensive Anti-Dandruff (TOO intense, smells like a men's product and didn't help)

Conditioner
2 &#215; Syoss Volume Lift 500ml (no noticeable 'lift' anyway, it's just silicone free)
2 &#215; Herbal Essences Supermodel Straight 250ml (pssh, 'Supermodel Straight' my behind!)
Herbal Essences Frizz Fighter (Haven't tried yet)

Oils
Sweet almond oil
Jojoba oil
A sparkling brand new tub of coconut oil that I just had to get since it's the only unrefined one I've found so far (436g.. will probably double as cooking oil, butter, salad dressing.. etc)

May not seem like a lot by some standards.. but I'd like to see the mirror in my bathroom again :D

Jenn of Pence
September 21st, 2010, 07:12 PM
I'm a bit overwhelmed by my stash of various hair and body stuff. I've especially gotten a lot of stuff for my face in the last month since I was battling a breakout. Of course, not much of it worked. :p Anyways, I would like to at least list the things I'm working on getting rid of, because I love lists, and checking things off lists raises the endorphin levels in my brain. ;)

Hair:
Redken Real Control, about 1/4 bottle from before LHC.
GVP Biolage conditioning balm, maybe less than half a bottle.
Alba Botanica conditioner, almost a whole bottle. Too many proteins to use too often; makes my ends dry.
Aussie Moist conditioner. About 1/3 of a bottle. Someone left this at my house, and I actually like it! I just need to get through it.
Tresemme Naturals shampoo, my go-to 'poo. About half a bottle (it's a large bottle!)
Tresemme Naturals conditioner, too light for my hair. I can use it as the first C in CWC.
Coconut oil. My hair doesn't like a ton of it, so it will take forever to use! But I'm looking for other uses as well.
Jojoba. My hair doesn't like a ton of it, but I can use it as a prewash condish and also use it in body applications as well.
Herbal Essences leave-in. Pre LHC; maybe 1/3 bottle left. Not bad, doesn't hurt anything. Just need to use it.

Body/other:
Aveeno cream cleanser. Cream cleansers are evidently too moist for my oily skin, bu I can still use it in the shower where I can rinse it well.
Lavender almond/peanut oil. Nice for moisturizing. Just need to use it more.
Liquid crystal deo. Not quite as good as the solid crystal, but I can still use it.
Castor oil. OCM didn't work out, now I have a ton of this and don't know what to do with it!
Curel lotion. I've had this bottle forever! But it's just almost gone. I'll make an effort to finish it off soon!
Multiple Arbonne products. My MIL likes to give us various lotions and creams and foot scrubs for Christmas every year. I probably won't be able to use it all up, but maybe I could donate or give to someone else.

Ok, the amount of stuff in my list was more than I expected! Now I'm a little depressed. :p Well, I'm not going to put a complete hold on buying if I need it, but I do intend to get rid of most of the smaller bottles of conditioner before getting some more coney stuff (my hair prefers it to the cone-free ones I have). DH is about out of his conditioner, so he said he'd help me use it, too, yay! I'm also scoping out suggestions for alternate uses for stuff that you've mentioned on this thread. We'll see how my stash challenge goes!

Loviatar
October 5th, 2010, 08:31 AM
OK, after a severe bathroom clearout, I am in. I want to find a regular small set, maybe 3 shampoos and 3 conditioners, to work for my hair. I have bolded my favourite conditioners/treatments but I cannot find a shampoo that I like. However, I can't do CO or CWC and make it work.

The Stash of Shame: :D

Shampoos and Conditioners
Pantene Repair and Protect shampoo
Pantene Repair and Protect conditioner
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette shampoo
John Frieda Brilliant Brunette conditioner
Samy Fat Hair shampoo (sulphate free)
Samy Fat Hair conditioner (cone free)
Avalon Organics lemon shampoo (sulphate free)
Avalon Organics ylang ylang shampoo (sulphate free)
Avalon Organics ylang ylang conditioner
Avalon Organics peppermint shampoo (sulphate free)
Avalon Organics peppermint conditioner
Avalon Organics lavender shampoo (sulphate free)
Avalon Organics lavender conditioner
LOreal Elvive Full Restore 5 shampoo
LOreal Elvive Full Restore 5 conditioner
Nicky Clarke Take it as Red carrot and vanilla shampoo
Nicky Clarke Take it as Red carrot and vanilla conditioner
JASON kelp shampoo (sulphate free)
JASON kelp conditioner
JASON biotin shampoo (sulphate free) - bit of a tingly scalp during washing - will get rid if it keeps happening
JASON biotin conditioner
JASON apricot shine shampoo (sulphate free)
JASON apricot shine conditioner
Natura Organics shampoo - to use up this week
Herbal Essences hello hydration conditioner
Herbal Essences uplifting volume conditioner
Herbal Essences anti breakage conditioner
Herbal Essences beautiful ends conditioner
Biolage hydrating conditioner (cone free)
Biolage hydrating shampoo
Biolage delicate care shampoo (sulphate free)
Biolage delicate conditioner (cone free)
Body Shop Banana shampoo - SLS
Body shop Banana conditioner, has cones
Weleda baby shampoo, sulphate free
Dr Bronners liquid castille, almond scent
Dairy Whip x 3 - honey almond, white ginger, violet (sulphate free)
Lush - Hard shampoo bar - (not yet tried, was a present) - SCS
Tresemme salon silk mini shampoo (SLS)
Daniel Galvin apricot shampoo (SCS)
Daniel Galvin apricot conditioner (cone free)
Boots Naked intense care shampoo (sulphate free)
Boots Naked intense care conditioner (cone free)
Boots Naked hydrating shampoo (sulphate free)
Inecto coconut shampoo (SLS)
Inecto coconut conditioner (cone free)
Toni and Guy Brunette shampoo - given to friend at work.
Toni and Guy brunette conditioner - as above
Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo - thrown away
1/2 bottle Naked clarifying shampoo - thrown away
Green People aloe vera shampoo - given to friend
Sweet Creek Herbs shampoo bars and CV shampoo bars - put aside for sell/swaps
2 x Revlon conditioner - given to DBF
jojoba conditioner - given to DBF
Aveda madder root red hair shampoo - given to DBF

MASKS AND TREATMENTS
Biolage Delicate Care mask
Tresemme anti breakage mask
Millennia Mud reconstructor
Dabur Vatika henna and almond mask
Le Kol cholesterol mask
Henna and Placenta treatment mask
2 x Pantene amino acid mask - used one up this week
LOreal Elvive Full restore 5 mask - not tried yet
MOP extreme protein mask

I have a couple of rules. There are things I'll replace as I run out because they work. They are:
Pantene amino acid
Dabur mask
Inecto conditioner
and my Biolage conditioner - Unless I can somehow find a regular supplier of the GVP Matrix fake-o Biolage which I much prefer, which is my HG product. It's a shame we can't get the GWP conditioner version of Biolage here in Sallys.

I have never found a shampoo that I've felt the urge to replace once it was used up, which is why I have so dang many. Conditioners I buy and try and use and reuse. Shampoos, I dont use enough of to keep replacing, but none of them are amazing enough for me to use long term. Except of course for Dairy Whip, which is now discontinued. But I'm not keen on scouting all over etsy spending money to find a dupe.

My BF will also be happier if I use up the stash! :oops:

x0h_bother
October 5th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I would love to USE UPPP my stash but I have a problem: I don't use one of my conditioners each day. I swap around with conditioners. The only reason I used up the garnier fructis (which I miss) is because I CWCd with it each day. Now I have not replaced that product for my first "c" so i am not using up anything on a daily basis. I fear one day I will wake up 5 years from now and all of my conditioners will finally be empty, all at once! Anyone else have this problem? Does your hair suffer if you don't swap around your products? Because I would like to try to use one product consistently.

Jenn of Pence
October 5th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I would love to USE UPPP my stash but I have a problem: I don't use one of my conditioners each day. I swap around with conditioners. The only reason I used up the garnier fructis (which I miss) is because I CWCd with it each day. Now I have not replaced that product for my first "c" so i am not using up anything on a daily basis. I fear one day I will wake up 5 years from now and all of my conditioners will finally be empty, all at once! Anyone else have this problem? Does your hair suffer if you don't swap around your products? Because I would like to try to use one product consistently.

Yeah, I know what you mean! I had to remove a bottle of conditioner from the shower so I could focus on using up a couple other ones for the time being. I picked two that were much closer to the end so that I might get some gratification in a month or two. Much thanks to DH; he used up his bottle of conditioner this week, and he volunteered to help me use up some of my stash. Having short hair, he doesn't use much at a time, but he also doesn't care as much as I do about the particulars. ;)

KristiLe
October 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM
I'm up for the challenge! Especially since nothing else will fit in my shower! haha

Cleopatra18
October 7th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I'm up for the challenge! Especially since nothing else will fit in my shower! haha
Welcome to the challenge KristiLe.
I'm still commited to the challenge,I didnt buy anything except a heat protectant cause I needed it and I didnt have one.

x0h_bother
October 7th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean! I had to remove a bottle of conditioner from the shower so I could focus on using up a couple other ones for the time being. I picked two that were much closer to the end so that I might get some gratification in a month or two. Much thanks to DH; he used up his bottle of conditioner this week, and he volunteered to help me use up some of my stash. Having short hair, he doesn't use much at a time, but he also doesn't care as much as I do about the particulars. ;)
Good to hear I'm not the only one!
Just so I felt better, I resurrected a bottle of (almost done) sunsilk to CWC with daily. It was a two pack so I still have a whole other bottle, but I'm confident I can use it as a first "C" daily. :p

swivelhop
October 7th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I so need to be in here. Yet.... (excuses) why use stuff that doesn't work... and (real issues) I'm allergic to some of this.

Mirsha
October 7th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Shampoo:
Syoss Volume Lift (currently using in Moo washes)
Dr Organic Tea Trea Shampoo (SLS/SLES and parabens free, makes scalp tingle, don't like the feeling)
Neutral perfume and colourant free (reminds me of wax and it's not gentle, at all)
Kyrell stylish red (my scalp HATED this, it's still half full.. need to think of a way to use it
Shegron Hair Repair (too much protein for me)
Dove purifying shampoo (my clarifying shampoo obviously)
L'Oreal Elvive Intensive Anti-Dandruff (TOO intense, smells like a men's product and didn't help)

Conditioner
2 × Syoss Volume Lift 500ml (no noticeable 'lift' anyway, it's just silicone free)
2 × Herbal Essences Supermodel Straight 250ml (pssh, 'Supermodel Straight' my behind!)
Herbal Essences Frizz Fighter (Haven't tried yet)

New addition:
Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (Couldn't resist after reading the reviews.. plus it's only €1.50!)

Oils
Sweet almond oil (Half gone, started using it for scalp massages)
Jojoba oil (Half gone, applying to body after each shower - love it.)
A sparkling brand new tub of coconut oil that I just had to get since it's the only unrefined one I've found so far (436g.. will probably double as cooking oil, butter, salad dressing.. etc) (Still as full as ever, incredibly hard to use)

New addition:
Castor oil (OCM purposes, scalp massage purposes, please give me fuller eyebrows and eyelashes purposes)

It's progressing nicely in my mind, even if I bought some new stuff...

Xandergrammy
October 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
I'm still plugging away at my stash. I DID go wrong a few weeks ago and bought a White Rain Mousse, but it was only $1. :gabigrin: And I didn't have any mousse.

Anyway, I got rid of one shampoo bottle and one conditioner bottle on Sunday. Slowly but surely....

julliams
October 7th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I'm slowly getting through my stash. It's quite liberating and all of a sudden there is all this space and the bathroom looks alot clearer. I do like having a choice of things to use each time so I'm not sure how I'll go when I only have one product on the go - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Cleopatra18
October 7th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm slowly getting through my stash. It's quite liberating and all of a sudden there is all this space and the bathroom looks alot clearer. I do like having a choice of things to use each time so I'm not sure how I'll go when I only have one product on the go - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
I just had to say that I love your siggy pic :)

Kristin
October 7th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I've only bought stuff that was on my re-stock list. I'm actually losing interest in new hair products because I know what works for me and don't want to waste time, money, and bad hair days.:D

lpsqt60
October 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Lately I have been really trying to not buy more hair care products, like when I decided to CO wash only I suddenly felt that I needed 7 bottles of conditioner because you know, I needed "variety". So I've been trying hard to use those bottles up and have only relapsed twice, I mean who could resist the GVP Tea Tree Oil conditioner knockoff and the necessary 3 different bottles of oil for my hair?:rolleyes:
Yet it is really nice when I do finish a bottle or a treatment and I can suddenly see a bit of counter space in my bathroom.
I'm trying hard here people!:D

MrsGuther
October 7th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I have no idea where to buy good hair toys... anybody have any suggestions? As for the rest of my hair stash, it's pretty much depleted.

andrea1982
October 7th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Count me in! I'll be going on maternity leave starting at the end of november, and my income will be drastically reduced for the next year. I have an embarrasing amount hair care products, I don't even think I'll use up half of them in the next year. (especially since I've stretched my washes to about twice per week). I am also not going to buy any other personal care products during the next year, I have much less of these, but for me this is about frugality, so i think I can make what I have stretch for a year (just stocked up on a few tubes of mascara on sale, that's the only thing I really replace every three months).

andrea1982
October 7th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I so need to be in here. Yet.... (excuses) why use stuff that doesn't work... and (real issues) I'm allergic to some of this.

I used these same excuses to gro my stash so huge! Have you found out what you're allergic to? I finally did, by sorting my huge stash and finding a common ingredient among the ones I was allergic to (for me it was formeldehyde containing preservatives, (like DMDM hydantoin) and then doing my own patch testing with products that contained it. What a difference it made for my skin care!

Anyway, I gave away everything I'm allergic to, and as for the stuff that doesn't work, that's tough. I dilute shampoos that are too harsh, and I add coney leave in's on top of my "too light" cone free conditioners.

swivelhop
October 8th, 2010, 02:54 AM
andrea1982 - The allergy is inconveniently slow. I'll wash and then start to itch HOURS later. I'm adding 'no new bathroom products' in general to my challenge. Here is my stash report and the progress so far. (ok this is just sad to see in print :()

Other
Travel bottles are more of the same stuff on the rest of the list.
ISOPlus oil sheen
Hask Henna & Placenta pack (1/2 a packet in the fridge....)
Sleek-n-Shine 3 minute mask (also in blue spray bottle too)
sleek-n-shine glaze
infusium 23 "repair 3" (spray)
jojoba oil

Conditioner
Sunsilk yellow
Sleek-n-shine (old version) travel bottle
Infusium "moisture" #2
V05 Blackberry & Sage
Tousle Me
Dangerously Straight
Dangerously Straight
pantene classic (random ancient version)
pantene ice shine (has ACV in it)
pantene fine flat to volume travel size
Breck (has ACV in it)

Shampoo
Sunsilk yellow - save.
Flex frequent use
Sleek-n-shine (old version) Travel bottle
pantene ice shine + travel bottle
Elumen wash
Dandruff 2 in 1 (currently doing toilet cleaner duty)

Not for hair
liter of coconut fat - pulls dye (I don't have dry skin or like to eat it, not sure what else to use it for)
two liters of ACV - adds redness

GONE
Sleek-n-shine (new version) - returned to store
Long term relationship shampoo - toilet cleaner! (wow that's a nice smelling toilet)
Mouthwash in white bottle
Mini perfume
Tan extender -threw out, went bad
Tan lotion -threw out, went bad
yogurt - used most, threw out rest
Sleek-n-shine shampoo (old version, big bottle) -misc cleaning + threw out some

swivelhop
October 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
UPDATE:
Conditioners
Yay!!! I haven't purchased ANY hair products!

Amazing progress, but I so want to know about this entry. :puppykisses:

Sooze
October 14th, 2010, 06:26 AM
What a fab thread :D I hadn't appreciated until I joined the forum that other people had a "stash of shame" too. :eyebrows:

About three weeks before I joined here, I ruthlessly went through my own stash, and everything I had that didn't work was hauled into work and I stuck it on the notice board "free to good home"

I was amazed at how many people responded, and the whole lot went in under 15 minutes!

I've now whittled my products down to:-

Burts Bees Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Super Shiny shampoo
Burts Bees Avocado pre-wash treatment
1 tub of Fushi extra virgin coconut oil
Tigi Oatmeal & Honey Conditioner (for occasional use)
Linco Beer shampoo (for occasional use)

and I've just ordered some jojoba oil to try.

I shudder to think how much cash I've wasted on hair care stuff over the years that hasn't worked. :confused:

Aeowen
October 14th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Awww darn! I've been doing this for awhile just because I felt severely guilty at the number of bottles that were hanging out in the shower (my poor DH had no room for his stuff and had to set it on the floor).

I actually had to buy conditioner the other day as I was totally 100% out, even in the closet where I store all the extra stuff that hasn't been used in quite awhile.

My current stash:

Fekkai Shampoo (1/2 bottle)
Shaikai Daily conditioner (new)
Lush Veganese conditioner (1/16 scrape the bottom of the bottle bottle)
7 Wonders Miracle Oil
Jojoba Oil
1 Henna pack from Mehandi

Things I should probably get rid of because I'm never going to use them:
Giant bottle of Tressemme Shampoo (went on a "I'm just buying cheapo products freakout)
Giant bottle of Platinum Highlights Shampoo for those with blonde hair...which I no longer have due to to quitting bleaching several years ago.

Aredhel77
October 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Gosh, I can't remember if I joined this thread or not. I've searched for myself in it and can't find me (LOL :D!) so I'm guessing it's a thread I intended to join in and never did!

My current stash consists of:

Shampoo:
1 half full pot of Lush Curly Wurly & Big Shampoo (mixed and diluted)
About a cup full of my own mix Aritha/Shikakai Amla herbal wash infusion
A tubful (about 300g) of the above herbal mix in powdered form.

I am going to try not to buy any more shampoo for a while and transition to herbal washes + CO-washes. I think .

Conditioner
This is my weakness.

1 almost-used bottle of Faith In Nature Seaweed conditioner - am experimenting with this range.

Ordered & awaiting:
2x bottles Aphogee 2-min Keratin restructuring treatment
1x JASON Apricot Conditioner
1x Faith In Nature Rosemary Conditioner
1 x Faith In Nature Aloe Conditioner
1 x Lavera Mango Milk conditioner (this I will use as my 'deep' conditioner - used it before & loved it.

Oils/leave ins:
500g tub refined coconut oil (works fine for my hair) - about 1/4 used
about the same amount of refined shea butter
a slightly smaller amount of (unrefined) cocoa butter
Aloe vera gel - loads
100ml bottle each of Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sweet Almond Oil. Some out of date food-grade flaxseed oil - not sure what to do with this, I've been using it as a bath oil..?
Lots of different essential oils
Honey
Apple Cider Vinegar
Borax powder & Citric Acid powder - didn't really get on with Borax hairwashing method and now don't know what to do with the rest!!

Hair styling products (which I rarely use)

2x 200ml Frizz Ease Dream Curls Curl Perfector spray
Naked Style heat defender spray (nozzle doesn't work but I really should use this up)
Boots Essentials Hair Straightening Balm (I used it as a curl cream, oddly, it worked fantastically for my hair).

This is just my hair stuff! I don't even dare add all my shower and facial products to this list - although there is a fair bit of 'crossover' as I sometimes use the OCM to cleanse my face and mostly moisturise with oils and aloe LOL.

Cleopatra18
October 14th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Things I should probably get rid of because I'm never going to use them:
Giant bottle of Tressemme Shampoo (went on a "I'm just buying cheapo products freakout)
Giant bottle of Platinum Highlights Shampoo for those with blonde hair...which I no longer have due to to quitting bleaching several years ago.
I have a bottle of tresseme moisture rich shampoo and I t dried my hair out alot,then I decided to use it with the oil shampoo method that ktani posted and It worked really well.
You will find detailed posts in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=57025) on page 6-7 i think.
In breif,I just mixed one squirt of the shampoo with 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil and it worked very well.Good luck :)

Gosh, I can't remember if I joined this thread or not. I've searched for myself in it and can't find me (LOL :D!) so I'm guessing it's a thread I intended to join in and never did!
LOL!!:D:D Welcome to the challenge!

Jenn of Pence
October 16th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Update:

Hair:
Redken Real Control, about 1/4 bottle. Going to use as dog shampoo, maybe. ;)
GVP Biolage conditioning balm, maybe less than half a bottle.
Alba Botanica conditioner, almost a whole bottle. Too many proteins. DH is using this now!
Aussie Moist conditioner. About 1/3 of a bottle. GONE!!
Tresemme Naturals shampoo, my go-to 'poo. About half a bottle (it's a large bottle!)
Tresemme Naturals conditioner, too light for my hair. I can use it as the first C in CWC.
Coconut oil. Found non-hair uses! I'm now using this on my skin; I love oils for moisturizing much better than lotion. It will still take forever to use this whole tub, though, but I'm not too concerned. :)
Jojoba. My hair doesn't like a ton of it, but I can use it as a prewash condish and also use it in body applications as well.
Herbal Essences leave-in. Pre LHC; maybe 1/3 bottle left.

Body/other:
Aveeno cream cleanser.
Lavender almond/peanut oil. Nice for moisturizing. Just need to use it more.
Liquid crystal deo.
Castor oil.
Curel lotion. I've had this bottle forever! But it's just almost gone. Gone!
Multiple lotion products. I rounded up an armful of this stuff yesterday and set them aside. My mom is coming to visit, and she loves using lotions, so I'm hoping to send her home with some of these. It made me feel so liberated to at least even move them out from under the sink!

I'm excited about my progress! Since I have used up my daily conditioner, I just started new shampoo and conditioner today, which is a nice change. I also did buy some shea butter, as if I needed more oils and such. :p But it's a small jar and I plan on using it with some other oils for a batch of Fox's shea butter conditioning cream.