PDA

View Full Version : Short (oily) hair

Mexibeach
June 27th, 2010, 07:14 AM
I have quite oily hair in its normal state. Since I've had my hair cut, I can't go a day without washing it. It is constantly oily with this short cut. I guess I didn't notice it as much when it was long since I could tie it up etc. I am wondering if anyone has some advice on how to deal with this oily short cut until it grows in more. Is this normal to deal with this with a short cut? ICK!

Lunami
June 27th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Your sebum has very litte hair to spread to, that's why it's oily. What do you wash your hair with? I would try a SLS-free shampoo. If you use conditioner, you may want to skip it. If your sebum production calms down you might want to try conditioner only mehtod? There's also organic shampoos and conditioners with herbal ingredients said to help greasy hair and i think that would be well worth a try! :)

yvsa
June 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I have short hair to (a pixie;)). And my hair gets oily fast. I just wash it more often. Every other day or so. Eventually when it gets longer I will try to stretch the washes.

boomtownrat
June 27th, 2010, 08:17 AM
My hair is chin length and while I could probably get away with washing it every other day with regard to oiliness, I have to wash it every day or else my scalp is flaky and ablaze with itchies. I try to alternate a day of CO-washing with a day using one of my shampoos -- all have sulfates, but for me, it's what soothes the itch and stops flakes.

Then again, itching isn't something you mentioned so hopefully you can get away with not using any sulfates. Maybe you could try CO-washing some days.

Drynwhyl
June 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Your hair is rather short, so it's not a hassle to wash it often while you shower, every day if neccesary. Try using a very mild shampoo, and later even trying CO or WO (water only). This may reduce the oiliness.

Mexibeach
June 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
OH, excellent - thanks so much for the suggestions. It was driving me mad and not having been this short in my life, I didn't know why it was so bad with the oily since the cut. I have been using Aveeno product lately, nourishing shampoo and conditioner but I think, since I'm starting fresh here with this cut, I will get into the health store and try some of their stuff. I'm trying to keep things natural - just didn't know what to do about the shampoo and conditioner.