PDA

View Full Version : Repurposing Earrings as hair toys

Magdalene
May 13th, 2008, 09:39 AM
I've got some gorgeous earrings that are just too heavy to wear, so I've been thinking of trying to turn them into hairtoys. Besides wiring them onto a hairstick, does anyone have any ideas how to go about it?

nappywomyn
May 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Rain has done some cool hairtoys out of plugs, but I think she wired them all to a stick..... looking forward to other suggestion!

KajiKodomo
May 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM
You could wire them onto a barrette, a slide, or even a pin to insert into the center of a bun!

It really depends on what they look like. Are they dangly? I'm guessing maybe they are?

If they're beaded, you could take the earrings apart and re-attach/re-wire the beads onto something as well.

Do you have pictures? :D

Islandgrrl
May 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
You could wire them onto a barrette, a slide, or even a pin to insert into the center of a bun!

This works really nicely, actually - I had a necklace with really several strands of really cool little wooden beads that I broke. I restranded some of the beads into 4 short strands, then twisted the strands together and wired them to a metal barrette. It's too small to hold anything but a very small partial updo or to use as decoration, but it's really beautiful and I always get compliments on it when I wear it. Seriously, it took like 20 minutes to make the whole thing.

banglaminerva
May 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
If the earrings are on hooks, you could also just hook them into a bun without putting them on a stick. Granted, it would be purely ornamental, but it's a way I make my earrings do double duty.

Magdalene
May 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Grr...took me a while to find where my thead went! :rolleyes: (I don't really consider this a "conventional" hair toy discussion, but if it makes the mods happy...)

I'll try to take some pics of the earrings in question- they're a chandelier style, but with chunky semi-precious stones (amethyst and something...blue).

Also trying to figure out how to fix a decorative ponytail holder that the elastic died on.