PDA

View Full Version : help!!!

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Hi all. I'm a male and i have hair like in picture below.

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/dj_design89/Image1157.jpg

http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae288/dj_design89/DSC00140.jpg

the problem is, i'm a college student and at my place, long hair's not allowed for male students. what can i do to my hair so that it would not obviously looked quite long and at the same time, looked kinda professional. thank you.

James M
June 27th, 2010, 03:41 AM
I'd say comb it back with some gel or something, and tie it in the back? Could give you a professional yet tidy look.

PS

Dude that really sucks about your schools rules. I just finished reading an entire Wikipedia article that had numerous social opinions on long hair for males, from different cultures, to ancient hair styles, to religious texts. It's silly how as people we can ostracize others self image.

James M
June 27th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Sorry to double post, I just can't edit yet :(

But I want to congratulate you on your courage to maintain your long hair in spite of restrictive, and in my opinion, backwards rules.

Go you!

There's been too many times I've caved to social pressure, so I want you to know I look up to people like yourself for my own self encouragement to do as I please! After all, ITS JUST HAIR :D

-James

Tonks
June 27th, 2010, 05:47 AM
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what to suggest you could do either, especially that you're in the shorter stages of growing, and it'll be really obvious when your hair gets a little longer. How long is "too long" according to your college?

I also salute you, keep on sticking it to the man! It is absolutely horrible that people think it's proper to dictate how others can dress (or not dress), wear their hair, what tattoos or piercings you can have, etc. In a perfect world...

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 08:26 AM
thanks so much. well, if according to my college rules, long hair on male if their hair: at the back, at least touching the collar, at side covering the ear, and for bangs covering the forehead. it is quite normal and acceptable if this rule being applied only in school (all malaysian public schools apply this rule) but at the college or varsity level? this is so ridiculous.

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 08:28 AM
thanks for the encouragement. i'll try my best to hide my hair and maintain the length. :)

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 08:30 AM
James M,
thanks for your support. i'll try my best to hide my hair and maintain the length, or maybe growing it longer. :)

Merewen
June 27th, 2010, 08:34 AM
You could probably hide the bangs (slick them back) or the hair over the ear (tuck it behind), but I don't know how you'll hide it when it gets down to the collar. You might have to wait until you are out of school. Ridiculous or no, if you want them to educate you, you'll have to play by their rules, and educations tend to be important. Hopefully, you only have a few years left?

jaine
June 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM
How about a short-haired wig? You could grow it as long as you want under the wig while you wait for your school to wake up to the 21st century, or until you graduate, whichever comes first ;)

Fractalsofhair
June 27th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Are ponytails allowed? A ponytail, then a bun would qualify with the dresscode, I'd think.

zule
June 27th, 2010, 11:22 AM
It's illegal to do that here on a college level, unless it's in a military academy. In public schools, it's illegal to do it at any level due to sexual discrimination laws. Malaysia must have no such equality laws.

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 11:16 PM
@Merewen
for me, having chin length bob is enough, which means it will not touch the collar. and i still have about 2 years left to finish architecture school (2 years!!! can grow a lot). anyway, thanks a lot.

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM
@jaine
wake up to the 21st century? lol. you're right. thanks.

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 11:21 PM
@Fractalsofhair
not at all. even my hair like at the above picture will be caught by the college authorities if been noticed.

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 11:26 PM
@zule
i just don't understand why such this things that really been taken care a lot (i mean neglectable things like hair issue). they should just shut up and do their administration works which are much more important for the development of the college.

nox_armada
June 27th, 2010, 11:29 PM
@zule
i just don't understand why such this things that really been taken care a lot by those college authorities (i mean neglectable things like hair issue). they should just shut up and do their administration works which are much more important for the development of the college.

James M
June 28th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I think the short haired wig idea is where it's at.

Poetic
June 28th, 2010, 10:06 AM
It would deped on how detailed your dresscode is written. Have you read it? :confused: You may be able to get away with a bun. If not, the short hair wig is a good idea.;)

Anje
June 28th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think a short wig would be the easiest way to bypass the rules.

Otherwise, depending on how the rules are written, it may be that as long as your hair does not cover your ears, forehead, or collar, you'll be OK. As in, you can pull it back, and once it gets to the point where it would hit your collar, start putting it in a bun and wear it up any time you're seen as publically representing the school.

tinti
June 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Maybe you could slick it all back with some gel?

http://www.ehow.com/video_4458174_slick-back-men_s-hair.html here's a video link for you :) when it's like this you don't have anything covering your ears or forehead or anything.