PDA

View Full Version : Deva cut outside US?

julliams
June 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM
I've just caught on to the Deva Cut method and was wondering if there are any salons proclaiming to do this outside of the US. I'm in Australia myself but if there are any anywhere else it would be good to know of all of us wurly/curlygirls outside the USA.

Also is this something one could do to themselves? I imagine it's only good if you leave your hair to airdry from dripping wet and then handle each wurl/curl seperately. Now that I think about it - might be too hard to do!

StormVixen
August 14th, 2010, 10:38 AM
~bumpity bump~

I wish there was somwhere in England to get a Deva type cut too! I think its just a case of spreading the word... :)

Heidi_234
August 14th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Also is this something one could do to themselves? I imagine it's only good if you leave your hair to airdry from dripping wet and then handle each wurl/curl seperately. Now that I think about it - might be too hard to do!
I won't risk it personally. I'm 2c/3a and my curl pattern and formation is not as strong as 3b+ can get. I feel like every time I wash my hair, the curls form in a different way, so cutting one curl-wurl at a time looks to me like a recipe for tapering rather than a good cut. :?

LoversLullaby
August 14th, 2010, 11:25 AM
I tried it by myself once, and I do NOT recommend doing it, unless you are trained to do so. My hair came out uneven and messy looking. D:
I've heard people getting fabulous results from Devacuts from trained professionals, but if you are not able to find one, I would not risk doing it yourself.

manderly
August 14th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I've just caught on to the Deva Cut method and was wondering if there are any salons proclaiming to do this outside of the US. I'm in Australia myself but if there are any anywhere else it would be good to know of all of us wurly/curlygirls outside the USA.

I didn't see anything on their site, devaconcepts.com. Funny, they had something showing in England, but it had a CT address. :shrug:

I've got an appointment for a deva cut (my first salon cut in over 3 years!) in St. Louis, MO on the 19th. From what I understand, they'll dry cut me, then wash and set and dry my curls, then cut me again. Or something like that ;) I'll get a before and after and I'll pay attention and let you know how they did it.

StormVixen
August 15th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I didn't see anything on their site, devaconcepts.com. Funny, they had something showing in England, but it had a CT address. :shrug:

I've got an appointment for a deva cut (my first salon cut in over 3 years!) in St. Louis, MO on the 19th. From what I understand, they'll dry cut me, then wash and set and dry my curls, then cut me again. Or something like that ;) I'll get a before and after and I'll pay attention and let you know how they did it.

OOOh exciting! please can we see before and after pictures? xXx

mariika
August 15th, 2010, 09:38 AM
before I knew there is a deva cut I read smth about cutting curly hair dry so I did that on my own hair))) I knew there was very little risk as with my hair you can never see if the ends are even and if layers are properly cut. and I love my cut and ppl keep saying I got great cut this time :D I just cut my hair when it was second or third day after washing. like someone wrote above I have my curls different each time but the catch here is that the cut itself makes your hair curl in those locks that you cut in it, you cut small locks so that only that small lock is that exact length and thus it cant curl any other way - only in that curl you cut.
I would recommend being brave and cutting it if you feel like you can do it :)

oh, and pictures:
before (I did pic the best pick of those in which you could see the hair it didn't look half this good in most pix):
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/dscn0848tr_1.jpg
right after (I didn't cut the length only did layers, oddly enough I cut length at the hairdresser):
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/dscn1961tr_1.jpg
a month later - I does grow out nicely:
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/wash-3-another-pic.jpg
http://youhavebeenchosen.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/wash-1.jpg

darkwaves
August 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I feel like every time I wash my hair, the curls form in a different way Mine, too. That's why I like it combed straight before scissors are applied. (It can be wet or dry; wet = sopping wet, or it curls; dry = about three days after washing, when the curl falls out.)

I've read about the Deva cut, and tried snipping ends that way once, but the next time my hair was wet/washed, it fell into different curls and whorls -- which also had longer ends that could have been snipped... I figured I'd go bald or ragged if I kept doing that. Might be easier/safer if a professional does it -- at least they'd know when to stop!

So I don't think I will try it again on my current length, where I'm trying to keep a fairly even hemline. But if my hair was shorter and more layered, I could see this working.