PDA

View Full Version : oil questions

PrincessTieflin
June 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
So sorry to be posting so much random stuff today but these are just things that are popping into my head.

I was wondering when you oil your hair, do you ever feel like your neck gets greasy if so how to deal with it? I get this alot and just get baby wipes and get the back of my neck.

Also I have been noticing stains on the collars and backs of my shirts..

am I doing something wrong?

I am currently using coconut and olive oil, but not at the same time. ;)
TIA

Cleopatra18
June 26th, 2010, 03:05 PM
when i used to oil my hair it defenitly made my neck greasy,sometimes i used to ignore it and it irritated my neck alot (gave me little red bumps) when i used tea tree oil and coconut oil which always gives me some kind of acne.

StarryNight
June 26th, 2010, 03:12 PM
I haven't noticed any oiliness, but my hair is coarse and soaks up oil like it was never there. I also clean my neck face and chest with astringent twice a day because I sweat and have oily skin, so this may be why I don't notice anything from my hair.

Night_Kitten
June 27th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I oil my ends more heavily, and the rest only very very slightly (except on the day before wash, then I heavy oil it, but it stays in a bun all day so it's not a problem...), and I never had an oily neck or stains on collars... I'm a 1a though, so my hair doesn't need much oil...

jane53
June 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Oil doesn't work for me. It makes my hair greasy in a very nasty way.

virgo75
June 27th, 2010, 06:56 AM
I've always worried about oiliness on my neck and clothes but my hair seems to soak up oil in seconds because it's never oily and I've never found oil stains on anything. :shrug:

The only time I get oil on my neck is when I do a "heavy" oiling - as in POUR warm oil directly onto my head and soak my hair until it's wet with oil. Then I wrap a towel around my neck and wear my hair up for about an hour or more until I wash it.

Angeletti
June 27th, 2010, 07:23 AM
when oiling my hair I don't let it get on my clothes or neck if I can because I'm also afraid it will stain clothing, I will usually throw it up in a cinnamon bun or something like that

Nae
June 27th, 2010, 08:27 AM
ACK me!! I get this all the time, I braid it and try to ignore it. Baby wipes sounds like a good plan though. I am hoping as my hair gets longer it won't be as much of an issue. Grow hair grow!!!!

Fiferstone
June 27th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hmmn, my method for using oil is to just take a drop or so, or for coconut oil in solid form, about a pea-sized amount and spread it on my palms so my palms are evenly coated. Then I run my coated palms down the length of my hair from the ears down. I try not to get the oil on my scalp as I have an oilier-than-average scalp if I do that. I saturate the length by repeated applications using this method, and then I briefly run my hands over the canopy (top layer of hair over the scalp, not down to the roots/scalp), so that it gets a very light oiling. I've never had any issues with my neck being overly oily, or with my clothes getting stained from this. it gives you very precise control over how much oil you're putting on your hair, I find. I'm a finey so my hair gets "deep oiled" pretty quickly ;).

FlowFlow
June 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I avoid that by only oiling the outter layer of length of my hair. I NEVER oil portion that touches my neck unless I plan to put it up until washing.:)

jasper
June 27th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Not me. I oil hair lower that neck level, very sparingly. At the moment, my preferred oil is shea butter, which seems to have a non greasy feel to start with.

spidermom
June 27th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I've never noticed my neck getting oily, but I tend to braid or bun right after oiling, and by the time I take it out, the oil has been absorbed, unless, of course, I'm doing a heavy oiling, in which case I wash my hair after taking it out, and there you have the longest sentence in this thread.

PrincessTieflin
June 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Perhaps, I should start oiling right before putting it up. What I was doing was oiling and then letting it dry a bit, I use the coconut oil as a sort of defrizzer, since I like to wear my curls in a loose peacock twist.

Thanks for the tips guys! Yall are great!

Capybara
June 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have mild psoriasis on my neck, and I try to avoid it with the oils. I do oil heavily though (dry hair, sin, everything!) and have not noticed any staining on my clothing.

squiggyflop
June 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM
um when i do oil i only oil from apl down to the tips.. there really isnt any reason to oil up higher since my own sebum can keep that area moisturized enough

oh and i never do heavy oilings when my hair is down for the day..

use lestoil to get rid of grease stains

tofuowl
June 29th, 2010, 01:21 AM
I only ever really apply oil directly to my ends. That said, I apply quite a bit to my ends, and then work though my hair with my fingers, which distributes the oil over the length quite a bit.

My upper back definitely freaks out if I don't wear a shirt for a few hours after applying oil. My hair absorbs the oil fairly quickly, but it's not an instant thing by any means.

I only use coconut oil, and I've never had any issues with staining--like I said, I always wear a shirt straight after oiling too. I've used olive oil in henna mixes before though, and that stuff will definitely stain clothing . . . maybe try limiting the olive oil to just the ends, and brush it through if need be? It would probably be easier to limit the olive oil touching your clothing if just the ends were getting oiled.