PDA

View Full Version : Saving money : your best hair/beauty buys

Cailie
June 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I am trying to save money for my graduate studies starting in 2 months...

This last year, I have indulged in many quite luxurious hair expenses... This wasn't very wise... I'm sure many of you know what I mean, trying natural products, buying great expensive little bottles of oil, aloe, hair toys, wood comb, etc. etc.

After a few months of such delightful pleasures, I know this cannot go on and I have to be strict about my "beauty budget" ... yet, I don't want to compromise the "beauty results"...

So, I came up with a minimalist plan for next year :

0 $ - Benign neglect
0 $ - WO wash when it's enough
0 $ - self trimms when needed
5 $ - small bottle of olive oil (I find it's really the best oil for my hair) or finish the oils I already bought
0 $ - trying not to buy new conditioners (use the ones I have, but not in excess either... when it's needed) and no more shampoos (for the rare clarifying, I will use the ones I have, diluted. Bottles should last a long time)
0 $ - use my wood comb only (which I already have)
0 $ - keeping my hair up a lot using the sticks / scrunchies, etc. that I have

What about you ?

Let say you had 10 of your best "tips and ingredients" that you would keep on the smallest hair budget possible, for one year time (starting right now with what you already have)... with the objective not to compromise the health and grow of your mane, what would you choose to keep in your "regimen" ?

What would you keep, what would you live without ?

Kristin
June 26th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Honestly I have so much stuff that I could probably go almost a year without buying anything at all. I would keep my coconut oil- it lasts forever, anyway- and just buy cheapie VO5 conditioners. I have enough shampoo to clarify for the rest of my life. ;)

jane53
June 26th, 2010, 02:33 PM
A bottle of Suave Naturals shampoo costs $0.99 and a bottle of Suave Naturals conditioner costs $0.99. Compared to Pantene, it works as well or better and costs 1/4 as much!

I would live without ANY of the oils because I've discovered that they're nasty on my hair.

I don't use a comb because combs tear up my hair, but I've found a good, firm-bristled boar bristle brush at the drug store for under $5.00.

Delicate Orchid
June 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM
The fun in my house is that 7 girls live here! SHARING! Free is better than cheap! We recently bought an organic shampoo that cleans well without having to use alot so we'll keep that up as well as using coconut oil. I think that eating well maintains the health of your hair as well, so I'll be trying to do that and drink lots of water!

Cleopatra18
June 26th, 2010, 02:44 PM
i also got tons of products,and i mean tons.the sad part is that i rarely use them.but it feels so good going shopping for my hair/skin etc.i would love if we could start a challenge to use up our stuff and record our progress.i spent so much money on that and i wish it would end.

lastnite
June 26th, 2010, 02:45 PM
for the most part, once you have a routine down long hair isn't that expensive. Suave naturals, V05, WhiteRain are all fine.. and even if I want products with more special ingredients..Nature's Gate, Vitamin Shoppe brand, Aubrey Organics aren't too expensive to me. Since alot of us wash only a few times a week, shampoo and conditioner can last quite awhile.

I don't buy alot of hair toys, but when I do they are ones I really like and I look at it as something I will keep for many years so I don't need to keep buying similar ones.

Coconut oil is cheap on amazon.com, and lasts quite awhile.

I buy most of my vitamins on sale..I think that's the best tip I can give..buy things on sale and using coupons really helps save alot of money.

Kathie
June 26th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I agree with the oils- I've been trying sweet almond oil as a conditioner alternative and I'm so pleased, 3-4 drops leaves my hair so soft and easy to manage :disbelief Here, I really don’t think I can find a 0.99 bottle of conditioner so almond oil is going to be my cheap alternative.

Cailie
June 26th, 2010, 02:55 PM
i also got tons of products,and i mean tons.the sad part is that i rarely use them.but it feels so good going shopping for my hair/skin etc.i would love if we could start a challenge to use up our stuff and record our progress.i spent so much money on that and i wish it would end.

Same here ! I have a full box of great high quality products ... you know, it's as if I have almond, avocado, argan, jojoba, coconut (etc) amazing oils... but I feel I NEED to buy some shea butter to add to the collection :D... it's really not rational thinking, I really want to use what I have first in the future - in a most reasonable consumption way.

This morning, I was looking at the Mason Pearson / Kent brushes, and thinking I just need a great BBB ... lol !

this has to stop ! :o

Carolyn
June 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I could go a year or two at least without buying much of anything. I have a good stash on hand. I could probably get by on White Rain conditioners and olive oil if I had to.

gmdiaz
June 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Well, I have a huge stash and can and will go a long time using it up. BUT if I had to choose only a few of my essentials, I'd go with these.

Coconut Oil
Castor Oil
Abba shampoo
Suave conditioner: All the sudden my hair doesn't want or need much conditioner, just the tiniest dime-sized amount to detangle.
My Rick's wood comb

GRU
June 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I've been trying sweet almond oil as a conditioner alternative and I'm so pleased

I've recently discovered that my hair likes both Sweet Almond and Grapeseed Oils. Amazing stuff!

I'm starting nursing school in a few months, and I'm also trying to economize as much as possible. Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut is affordable (and I REALLY stock up whenever it goes on sale -- I probably have 15+ bottles right now!) and my hair seems to like it.

I should have all the elastics, hairpins, etc., that I'll need for a long while. Same with brushes/combs (I found that Goody sells a BBB for about $6 at Walmart -- much more affordable than a MP/Kent!)

I recently purchased some affordable beads and chopsticks and I'm planning to make some of my own hairsticks instead of buying them for $20-30-40 or more.

And I cut my own hair (cutting out splits/knots basically) so I have no expense for a beauty parlor.

I purchase henna from a bulk herb retailer, rather than a hair-henna-specific one (it's still pure henna, but only costs $7.50 for 450g).

Tonks
June 26th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I'd love it if someone would start a challenge thread about using up all our old products (less clutter, less guilt!)

If I had to pick only a few things my hair couldn't live without, I'd say my sweet almond oil more than anything else. I can easily finger comb, and I could easily just stick to the cone-free bottle of shampoo I have and use the oil instead of conditioner.

There's a bun tutorial on youtube that uses the bun to hold itself up, no toys, but I can't quite manage it yet. If I can find the link again, I'll edit it in my post.

Tiina
June 26th, 2010, 03:24 PM
My best hair (and beauty) tip is to know what is in the kitchen and fruit basket. :)

The only things I want to splurge on are hairtoys that can last a while.

MsBubbles
June 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Meaghan: Good idea! I have a ton of Aubrey Organics gpb that needs to be used up on anything but my hair. It smells like shaving cream so maybe I should just go that route...

Scalp washing only with a very diluted drop of a gentle cheap shampoo means I am buying conditioner now once every 6 months at best. I wash the length via SMT once every 2 weeks or so.

So I have gone from buying cheap and/or expensive organic shampoos & conditioners once every 2 months, to about once every six months.

I bummed a free pair of supposedly expensive German-manufactured hair shears from a co-worker who reps that company in the US. He can sharpen them for me for free too. And so yes I trim my own ends every month ($0.00).

My hair is too fine/thin to hold even the smallest ficcare and luckily for me those tiny claw clips from the drug store are the best things to hold my puny bun ($3.00 ka-ching).

I think the SMT ingredients are the most expensive things I buy for my hair and I'm buying the honey for other things anyway.

I have decided it's not worth the risk of further damage to my highlighted ends to try to dye them to match my roots, so two-toned it is (for free!) for the next 6 years, assuming I live that long.

So I'm already at the point where I don't feel like I'm wasting a ton of money on my hair!

Cleopatra18
June 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Same here ! I have a full box of great high quality products ... you know, it's as if I have almond, avocado, argan, jojoba, coconut (etc) amazing oils... but I feel I NEED to buy some shea butter to add to the collection :D... it's really not rational thinking, I really want to use what I have first in the future - in a most reasonable consumption way.

This morning, I was looking at the Mason Pearson / Kent brushes, and thinking I just need a great BBB ... lol !

this has to stop ! :o
omg i know!..i have been planning all day what i want to buy tomrow,even though i have more than enough.
oh and also restocking on conditioners before i even try them..its silly..

linda g
June 26th, 2010, 03:32 PM
I CO, so my minimal cheapie kit would be:

VO5 conditioner - I can usually get this for 99 cents a bottle.
vinegar (for rinse) - about a $1.50 per bottle, I haven't really noticed the price
Africa's Best Oil - about $2 at WalMart

Tonks
June 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Meaghan: Good idea! I have a ton of Aubrey Organics gpb that needs to be used up on anything but my hair. It smells like shaving cream so maybe I should just go that route...
I use conditioner for shaving instead of shaving cream. Muuch less nicks and cuts, and it gives the razor better slip (and it's cheaper! shaving cream costs so much...)

dropinthebucket
June 26th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Cheap coconut oil from the grocery store - hair, skin, cooking - what can't it do? :)

LadyLongLocks
June 26th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have enough shampoo and conditioner to last at least 2 years. I am going to use olive oil more often now instead of buying the sweet almond,coconut and jojoba in those little expensive bottles. Olive oil(first press extra virgin) is easy to find, and it works as good as the other oils.I really like it! I have enough hair toys too. I wont be needing any for years.The best thing to hold my buns are the small claw clips, and I have 20 packages stocked up! I have tried all kinds of hair toys hoping they would work good but always go back to the small clips. I have my husband trim my hair or I trim it myself. I will not be spending much on my hair for a while, I never have anyway.

Suze334
June 27th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I've just discovered suave clarifying cond. Wow- no oil at all in it. I do cwc and my fine hair is visably fuller. It's so cheap!
Anyway- that's my current love, um, I mean conditioner.

Angeletti
June 27th, 2010, 07:30 AM
for me I use olive oil and a bottle lasts forever, I buy cheapo conditioner (vo5) for a buck can't beat that. My shampoo lasts forever due to washing hair once a week, when I do start trimming I'll probably just get my mom to do it, hence saving salon visits. And when it comes to hair toys I feel like I can still have nice hair toys without having to spend a lot... I carve em and paint them from branches in my own back yard : ) so overall I would say my routine isn't too expensive

Gem
June 27th, 2010, 07:57 AM
For my hair and skin to be healthy, I absolutely need the following things:
Sharp hair scissors for S&D and trims
My hair fork and one pair of hair sticks
A scrubby washcloth for my face
Virgin coconut oil (also for my face)

I love WO :crush:

I have a wooden comb that I like and that I find very helpful, but I could get away with preening. Also a sleep scarf (that I intend to start using someday). I would like a mister bottle that I would put water and lavender EO in (I already have the lavender). And I would also like a good shower cap.
So to recap, I could do without some things I have, and other than hair toys, the only stuff I can think to buy for my hair would be a mister bottle and a good shower cap. I can go without spending any money on my hair and skin, except for VCO (which lasts forever). This is very good because we've been completely broke for the last two years.

rapunzhell13
June 27th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I've been getting away with washes every 4-5 days with shampoo bars, so I think they're really good value for money. Staying out of the hair toy thread will save you LOTS of money. :lol:

GRU
June 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Staying out of the hair toy thread will save you LOTS of money. :lol:

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

SHADOWSCODE46
June 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I, like a lot of those posted here, have a very significant stash. Loads of hair goodies to last me for a really, really long time :). I came to show you how to build one up for yourself as well; for little to nothing in cost.

Get your coupon game down.

That's it, really. :D

Since the year started, I have shelves upon shelves of conditioner of every brand and size. Some I acquired for free or pennies to the dollar. Seriously in this day and age no one should be paying full price for (Pantene, Garnier or Herbal Essences etc.) conditioners with all the resources out there on how to use manufacturer coupons & store deals. Just my 2 cents though.

All you really need is one favorite oil/butter/sealant of your choice, 1 to 2 shampoos of your choice (if you use them) and an array of cheap conditioners (for either conditioner washing, leave in's or after shampoo's) and one good deep conditioner (which you can either mix up at home or invest in a good formula). And as some one suggested stay away from the hair toy threads. Really, it is an investment to pay for a good piece thats well made. To have several in all different styles and colours is a luxury which, unless your budget can afford, is not necessary.

HintOfMint
June 28th, 2010, 04:31 AM
I'm starting law school in the fall, so I definitely understand the need to live like a starving grad student.
I guess my hair budget for the next year should be something like this:
Shampoo: $0.00 (I have enough shampoo to last quite a while)
Conditioner: $4.30 x 12 = $51.60 (by far, my most expensive part of the routine. It is one of the few conditioners that is cone-free, protein-free, and very moisturizing) if I stick with the Garnier Triple Nutrition. I hope that catnip works because it might be a bit cheaper. Another possibility is to use a much cheaper conditioner and mix in honey and aloe. But that is a whole other calculation, considering I have never made an SMT.
Leave in: $2.00 (I siphon off some olive oil that I use for cooking) possibly $11.00 (shea butter)
Styling products for hair and bangs: $0.00 (I have enough!)
Hair ties/toys: $0.00 (I intend to guard those spin pins with my life!)
ETA: Oh God, my haircut... anyone know a decent, cheap, and clean one in NYC? I'll be moving thereabouts in the Fall.

SHADOWSCODE46
June 28th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm starting law school in the fall, so I definitely understand the need to live like a starving grad student.
I guess my hair budget for the next year should be something like this:
Shampoo: $0.00 (I have enough shampoo to last quite a while)
Conditioner: $4.30 x 12 = $51.60 (by far, my most expensive part of the routine. It is one of the few conditioners that is cone-free, protein-free, and very moisturizing) if I stick with the Garnier Triple Nutrition. I hope that catnip works because it might be a bit cheaper. Another possibility is to use a much cheaper conditioner and mix in honey and aloe. But that is a whole other calculation, considering I have never made an SMT.
Leave in: $2.00 (I siphon off some olive oil that I use for cooking) possibly $11.00 (shea butter)
Styling products for hair and bangs: $0.00 (I have enough!)
Hair ties/toys: $0.00 (I intend to guard those spin pins with my life!)
ETA: Oh God, my haircut... anyone know a decent, cheap, and clean one in NYC? I'll be moving thereabouts in the Fall.

Try China-Town for haircuts. There are many salons there and they are top notch for blunt cuts/layers etc. I've heard nothing but great reviews from people with all hair types.

StarryNight
June 28th, 2010, 11:10 AM
No trims or cuts until 2011 - 0$

Dust myself - 0$

Olive oil - 2-3$ (the bottle I have will last me another year or more)

Coconut Oil - 4$ at my local health food store ( I hardly use any because my hair doesn't need the protein as much , anymore. This jar will probably last me another 2 years, and I use it on my skin pretty regularly.)

Plastic comb - 1$

Suave (coconut, lilac and lavender, mandarin) conditioners - 1$ each. (I am almost finished with the coconut and lilac/lavender, then I have a whole bottle of the mandarin to go through.)

Giovanni shampoo - 2$ on sale at Walmart (regularly 7-8$) I am almost out, I will be checking for sales this week or picking another protein free, sls free brand up.

ACV - 1$ (I go through this the fastest, but it is because I use it every time I wash my hair.)

Multivitamin - 7$ for a huge bottle at Walmart

Biotin - 6$ at Target

That is everything I use. I only buy more when I am almost out of one and it needs to be replaced. My boyfriend is happy my spending is way down from what it used to be. I used to spend 30-60$ on product alone, every couple of months. Then trims every 6 weeks 30$...you get the picture.

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Coconut Oil - 4$ at my local health food store ( I hardly use any because my hair doesn't need the protein as much , anymore. This jar will probably last me another 2 years, and I use it on my skin pretty regularly.)

Just to clarify (no pun intended!), coconut oil doesn't contain any protein -- it's just a fat product.

lapushka
June 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Benign neglect (*the* best thing ever)
+ using up the products I have
+ Feye's self-trimming method
+ indulging myself here and there as far as hairtoys are concerned
-------------------
Priceless!

All in all, growing hair is a lot cheaper and easier than having to maintain a certain cut or style all the time. It's still cheaper even when taking into account indulging in products and toys once in a while.

Regular cuts (cutting, frying) cost about €30 to €50 over here. If I had to have them done every 4 to 6 weeks, we'd be talking a fixed €390 minimum a year. I mean, that's about €30 to €50 a month extra. And some people even have their hair done every week! No way! *feels much better now about indulging in toys once in a while* :D Oh boy... :oops:

Sammich
June 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hmm, I really want to do this too. I'm saving up for a trip to America once I reach 18.
The things I could keep are Inecto conditioner, my almond oil, (Only about £1.40 a bottle!) any super cheap sulfate shampoo and I'm off! :D I could mix my own little leave in too with my conditioner, almond oil and water!

StarryNight
June 28th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Just to clarify (no pun intended!), coconut oil doesn't contain any protein -- it's just a fat product.

Lol, clarify.

Really? I have read in so many places that it does. Maybe I am misunderstanding the prevention of protein loss, then? Not actually having protein? Whichever it is, my hair has decided olive is preferred, lol.

Cleopatra18
June 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Lol, clarify.

Really? I have read in so many places that it does. Maybe I am misunderstanding the prevention of protein loss, then? Not actually having protein? Whichever it is, my hair has decided olive is preferred, lol.
I think i read somewhere here that coconut oil binds with the protein that's already in your hair,and therefore preventing its loss.but it doesnt have any protein in it.

Juneii
June 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
it's sad but I have about 12 bottles of shampoo and 20 bottles of conditioner from Walmart. It's the Suave line so each bottle costs about $1 each - I am set for a long time! Thankfully my hair doesn't require much in terms of care and cleaning. I also have enough brushes, combs, and hair toys to last. If you're saving on money you actually don't need more than one of each.

I am jumping the wagon with you on this, I need to save money for my expensive tuition and more important things (food).

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Lol, clarify.
I was pretty proud of that one, particularly since today is shudder: Monday!!!

Really? I have read in so many places that it does. Maybe I am misunderstanding the prevention of protein loss, then? Not actually having protein?
I do think that's where people get the "protein in coconut oil" idea. But then when you actually break it down from a chemical/biological standpoint, you realize, "well duh, it's an OIL, not a MEAT!" (or at least, that's the way it went down in my own head!)

Whichever it is, my hair has decided olive is preferred, lol.
My own hair is currrently having a torrid affair with Sweet Almond Oil.... saved me from having to cut off about 2-3" off my ends! :D

it's sad but I have about 12 bottles of shampoo and 20 bottles of conditioner from Walmart. It's the Suave line so each bottle costs about $1 each - I am set for a long time! Thankfully my hair doesn't require much in terms of care and cleaning. I also have enough brushes, combs, and hair toys to last. If you're saving on money you actually don't need more than one of each.

I am jumping the wagon with you on this, I need to save money for my expensive tuition and more important things (food).

Juneii, I think we are twins separated by a couple of decades! The entire bottom shelf of my bathroom cupboard is covered in bottles of Suave (mostly from Walmart), and I too am cutting down on my expenses to cover the tuition/books for the next two years!

anthonyswife
June 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hmm, I've been getting by on a strict budget lately anyway- I've actually been hoping to be able to buy more later in the year, lol.

This is what I've been doing lately, and what I could get by on for another year if need be:

$5 huge bottle of Pantene Nature Fusions Moisture Balance for CO. I can get by with buying this roughly every other month (longest a conditioner has ever lasted me lol).
$13 jar of coconut oil every 6 months, I'm almost out of my current jar.
$0 detangling/combing with my fingers only. :)
$0 I have tons of shampoo on hand still to use for the occasional clarifying wash.
$0 honey- I have lots of it on hand!

So $43 for a year...not bad considering I'm a product junkie. lol

Copasetic
June 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
The products I buy aren't cheap, but I only buy what I need. I think a lot of people tend to buy things just to test them out, or because they want a change, or because they are on sale. I can totally understand that; I used to do it all the time! Lately, in an effort to save money, I simply buy one package of whatever product I need, and don't replace it until I am all out. So right now in my shower there is one bottle of shampoo, and one bottle of conditioner. The shampoo will last for ages, because I only wash my hair a couple of times a week, and I always buy conditioner on sale and with a coupon.

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
right now in my shower there is one bottle of shampoo, and one bottle of conditioner

:thud: I think I have about six or seven different bottles in my shower right now!

my bottle of ACV (I buy it by the gallon and just fill up an old water bottle to keep in the shower -- I also keep a large (32oz maybe) plastic cup stored upside down on the ACV bottle to dilute with -- one splash of ACV and fill the cup with shower water),
a deep conditioner that I only use a couple times a month -- I'm just too lazy to take it in and out of the shower each time so I just leave it there,
a bottle of conditioner that I don't like the smell of (smells okay in the bottle, but smells icky in my hair later on) so I'm just using it to CO-wash and won't be replacing it when it's gone
a full bottle of Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner that I use to fill up:
an old bottle from another product that I use to water down my SNTCC (see above); I like it thinner so I can get it through my curls more easily, plus I like the dispenser top on this bottle more than on the SNTCC
a bottle of that new Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition that I tried and haven't used up yet
a bottle of VO5 shampoo that DH uses (I have been CO-washing exclusively since Oct. 2010)

Yup -- seven! And that's not even counting what all I have in the cupboard!!! :D

Hi, my name is GRU, and I am a productaholic.

:eyebrows:

jane53
June 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
<<sneaks in to ask a stupid queston>>

What's ACV?

<<sneaks back out in shame>>

GRU
June 28th, 2010, 07:37 PM
<<sneaks in to ask a stupid queston>>

What's ACV?

<<sneaks back out in shame>>

The only question to feel ashamed about is the one you were too scared to ask!

Apple Cider Vinegar

:)

jane53
June 28th, 2010, 07:39 PM
The only question to feel ashamed about is the one you were too scared to ask!

Apple Cider Vinegar

:)

OOOooooooOOOOOhhhh!!! :D

Thanks. :)

GRU
June 29th, 2010, 12:05 AM
my bottle of ACV (I buy it by the gallon and just fill up an old water bottle to keep in the shower -- I also keep a large (32oz maybe) plastic cup stored upside down on the ACV bottle to dilute with -- one splash of ACV and fill the cup with shower water),
a deep conditioner that I only use a couple times a month -- I'm just too lazy to take it in and out of the shower each time so I just leave it there,
a bottle of conditioner that I don't like the smell of (smells okay in the bottle, but smells icky in my hair later on) so I'm just using it to CO-wash and won't be replacing it when it's gone
a full bottle of Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner that I use to fill up:
an old bottle from another product that I use to water down my SNTCC (see above); I like it thinner so I can get it through my curls more easily, plus I like the dispenser top on this bottle more than on the SNTCC
a bottle of that new Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition that I tried and haven't used up yet
a bottle of VO5 shampoo that DH uses (I have been CO-washing exclusively since Oct. 2010)

In the interest of full disclosure, when I went to rinse out my henna earlier, I realized that I had two MORE bottles that I'd forgotten about! :o

a bottle of GVP's version of Paul Mitchell -- The Conditioner that I sometimes use as a leave-in instead of the SNTCC.
a bottle of Roux Porosity Control & Conditioner that I got at my last trip to Sally's to see if it helps me with humidity issues

In my defense, I did manage to use up the last of that deep conditioner that I didn't like the smell of (it worked great for CO-washing the henna out!), and I also used up the bottle of SNTCC by transferring it into the other container and watering it down. So even though I had two extra bottles that I'd forgotten about, I also got rid of two of the bottles I did remember, so I had a net gain of zero! :D

OOOooooooOOOOOhhhh!!! :D

Thanks. :)

You're welcome! :D

IcarusBride
June 29th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I WO-wash and I have all the hair toys I NEED (no matter how much I may think otherwise!) the only thing I have to continue spending money on is Coconut Oil (about once/year, it seems, as I've only used 1/2 the jar I have now in the past 6 months) and supplements, which are not ONLY for my hair but overall health.