PDA

View Full Version : Weight of hair ^_^

HotRag
June 26th, 2010, 05:21 AM
I wonder a bit about weight of your hair :)

I think I somewhere here read about someone having thicker hair than me, and much longer, but weighed 200 grams. If I remember this correct (which I maybe don't?).

My hair weighs 265 gram. iii (but not like 6 inches) and 38 inches.

I wonder if I have higher density or something :confused: or if it is a normal weight?

Also every updo feels SOOO heavy. Pulls like crazy if I don't put on top (then it feels a bit like balancy trial with a weight on my head) or do it very tight so it pulls on everything. Even braid and banded ponytail can pull as soon as I tilt my head, or if it has gone some hours since I braided (it settle and start pull).

Las night I saw somebody with same length as me, putting her braid in a self held bun (securing by putting the braid bun under the hair over the braids base). I asked her if it did not pull very much. No, she said. She had thinner hair than me, but not very thinner.

Would be interesting to know your weight of your hair (and length + thickness).

RachelRain
June 26th, 2010, 05:24 AM
This could be interesting. I've been dying to know how heavy my hair is for years, because whenever I cut it, my head rolls slightly for a few days while the muscles get used to not having to deal with the hair... but how does one get an accurate weighing of their hair?

I can edit this later. My hair is 4 1/2" thick when wet and clumped together. When dry it's between 4 3/4 and 5", and it's 42" long.

HotRag
June 26th, 2010, 05:42 AM
This could be interesting. I've been dying to know how heavy my hair is for years, because whenever I cut it, my head rolls slightly for a few days while the muscles get used to not having to deal with the hair... but how does one get an accurate weighing of their hair?

I can edit this later. My hair is 4 1/2" thick when wet and clumped together. When dry it's between 4 3/4 and 5", and it's 42" long.
I just do mini trims, which I don't notice anything from (trim maybe a tenth of a gram...) but when I cut from thigh to a tad shorter than BSL in 1998, it felt like walking up from the water after swimming 2000 meters ^_^ But to the head only of course :D

I have a bit of a problem with measuring the thickness. I get iii (but not spectacularly great circumference within the iii class) if I pull i together as hard as I can, but if I don't pull as hard as I can, but more "normal" I get 1 inch more. Have also read about the same problem in some thread. Should search to find one right now :)

Igor
June 26th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Around 200 gram according to the new electronic weight. But the numbers were all over the place when I tried to weigh it :shrug:

Also every updo feels SOOO heavy. Pulls like crazy if I don't put on top (then it feels a bit like balancy trial with a weight on my head) or do it very tight so it pulls on everything. Even braid and banded ponytail can pull as soon as I tilt my head, or if it has gone some hours since I braided (it settle and start pull).

It’s not the weight of hair we experience when we say that hair is “heavy” but instead the torque of our up do. We don’t find a hat heavy when it is directly on top of the gravitational centre of our head, but a bun behind our head can feel “heavy” because of the torque
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Moment_arm.png/250px-Moment_arm.png

I do this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=35407) to keep the weight distributed evenly

RachelRain
June 26th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I never thought of trying that. I usually just give up and leave my hair down if the bumpiness is really really bad...

RachelRain
June 26th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I just do mini trims, which I don't notice anything from (trim maybe a tenth of a gram...) but when I cut from thigh to a tad shorter than BSL in 1998, it felt like walking up from the water after swimming 2000 meters ^_^ But to the head only of course :D

I have a bit of a problem with measuring the thickness. I get iii (but not spectacularly great circumference within the iii class) if I pull i together as hard as I can, but if I don't pull as hard as I can, but more "normal" I get 1 inch more. Have also read about the same problem in some thread. Should search to find one right now :)

I tend to not do anything scissors wise to my hair unless I get *really* frustrated with it - and by that I mean I can't take the snarls anymore and I'm in tears about it and I just *HATE* my hair. Then I just grab a handful and over the shoulder it goes and I saw through my hair with the scissors. I counted once (in this strangely evil kind of glee) fifteen 'snip' sounds before I was done cutting that side.

That was sort of what I meant by the rolly head thing. I'm determined to keep it long this time though so hopefully I won't get that angry again.

HotRag
June 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM
I tend to not do anything scissors wise to my hair unless I get *really* frustrated with it - and by that I mean I can't take the snarls anymore and I'm in tears about it and I just *HATE* my hair. Then I just grab a handful and over the shoulder it goes and I saw through my hair with the scissors. I counted once (in this strangely evil kind of glee) fifteen 'snip' sounds before I was done cutting that side.

That was sort of what I meant by the rolly head thing. I'm determined to keep it long this time though so hopefully I won't get that angry again.
Hope not :)

HotRag
June 26th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Around 200 gram according to the new electronic weight. But the numbers were all over the place when I tried to weigh it :shrug:

It’s not the weight of hair we experience when we say that hair is “heavy” but instead the torque of our up do. We don’t find a hat heavy when it is directly on top of the gravitational centre of our head, but a bun behind our head can feel “heavy” because of the torque
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ed/Moment_arm.png/250px-Moment_arm.png

I do this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=35407) to keep the weight distributed evenly
Hi!
It may have been you that I saw wrote about hair weight (I think it was you :)).

I tried to weigh my braid first, but that went not so well. So I let the hair out, and let my husband check. And numbers went stable. I put my head so near the scale it touched it, and then lifted it a tad. I think I could not have read the numbers on my own.

I understand that if I have a bun right at back of my head, it will feel very heavy, but mine feels almost "too heavy" whatever I do. I have tried to do something like your instructions to distribute, but then the bun must be redone for some reason (before I am happy with it, so it happens directly) and some bumps are back. A lot of managing means, in my case, I rip out hairs, so I try not to do that. (I do not mean your method is bad in any way if I sound like that, just my skills.)

The person I met yesterday, had very bumpy hair (as in "not using your method" :)), and just put the long braid in a bun just at the back of head, pulling some strings of hair over to secure. I could never do that. I asked her if it wasn't heavy or pully, but nope.

(By the way, that meeting yesterday, out of 7 females, 3 had my length and one had classic. Unusual, and it was not a "planned hair meeting". I rarely meet anyone with longer than BSL.)

I lately have been putting my high sleeping braid as a false crown braid on top of my head, and standing still, it feel like weighing nothing, but just walking, and I feel like a wear a "heavy book" on my head.

It may of course also be partly due to bad securing technique, but the "crown braid" yesterday held for running and running into at tent string with hair. But anyway it maybe could be secured better for distributing weight better.

There must be some difference in effect from weight also, meaning heavy weight will give more of the torque effect.

My former hair dresser has mentioned something about my hair beeing heavy, but I did not think about it much then and did not ask more about it so I can't tell exactly what she meant.

trolleypup
June 26th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Another possibility is that you scalp is extra sensitive to pulling, and what wouldn't bother someone else (like me, who self secures my usual low bun of thigh length hair) is untenable for you.

I really don't notice weight/balance issues with my bun...but then, I almost always wear it the same way, so I am very used it it. On the other hand, I don't really notice when I wear a hard hat/climbing helmet either. Maybe doing some weight training for your neck muscles would get them used to unbalanced weights (that was just a random thought).

HotRag
June 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM
trolleypup: that could be one answer or one side to it.

I have some perception issues with other stuff, like clothes. Maybe goes for the weight feeling/pulling/unsymmetrical weight feeling also. But I am not "hair sensitive" if somebody pulls my hair, and if I wasn't so careful with my hair, I could comb it (or let someone else comb it) to hard without feeling pain.

But it would be interesting anyway to know others hair weight ^_^

To compare, one would need to know length, taper and thickness though.

EdG
June 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I don't have a scale that can measure the weight of my hair, but I find that one benefit of wearing hair loose is that it never feels heavy. Restrained hair can put more-than-usual weight on a few strands, and that leads to the heavy feeling. :)
Ed

HotRag
June 26th, 2010, 11:17 AM
I don't have a scale that can measure the weight of my hair, but I find that one benefit of wearing hair loose is that it never feels heavy. Restrained hair can put more-than-usual weight on a few strands, and that leads to the heavy feeling. :)
Ed
Wearing it loose feels great. It's sad it gets so much more tangled that way.