PDA

View Full Version : Q about the Feye trim

intothemist1999
June 25th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I was looking at the U trim today. I'm not quite sure about the direction of pinching the ends before cutting -- the hair is brushed over the shoulders...is the pinch actually front-to-back or horizontally pinched across (left to right / right to left). It's a bit hard to tell from the pic, and I"m not sure if it's pinched back to front and then pulled around front which makes it looks like it's left to right etc.

Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but it seems like it *ought* to! :o

ETA: I don't just mean the direction of the fingers, but how they bunch up the hair in the pinch.

FrannyG
June 26th, 2010, 04:21 AM
When I do the u-shape, when I bunch the hair over my shoulder, I comb it so that the hair that grows closest to my face is closest to my face and the hair from the back is furthest from my face. So it's a left to right sort of thing.

In other words on the left side of my head, the hair is combed with the hair from the back to the left, moving to the very front hair to the right.

Does that make sense? If not, I'll try to make it more clear, if I can.

jasper
June 26th, 2010, 08:23 AM
If i understand what you are asking, it is front to back. Looking at the pictures, it seems to me she takes the combed section of hair and flattens it parallel with her shoulders to cut it.

countryhopper
June 26th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Hmmm... I did this method before, but I don't think I paid attention to left to right, etc! I just pulled the hair over my shoulder, combed, and snipped.

FWIF, I had not uneven ends or weird/shorter layers from pulling it in a wrong direction.

pepperminttea
June 26th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I do Feye's straight-across trim, but Habioku did a great video on the U-shaped trim recently that was very clear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Erf49Eyxc

lapushka
June 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Often wondered about this myself, how it might affect the cut... and also whether or not you comb your hair behind the ears or leave it in front of the ears.

In my case both sides are tied off with a hair tie and it's combed back to front, behind the ears. Hair ties make the whole process easier. You can look at both sides for evenness, for one, and it helps if you have thicker hair.

countryhopper
June 26th, 2010, 08:45 AM
I think I did in front of the ears. I just remembering combing and combing and combing (I think I was stalling because I was worried about cutting my own hair ans screwing it up! Didn't happen, though!)

intothemist1999
June 26th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks Franny and Jasper, that's what I figured...and that's what I did!! It turned out pretty good!

Note to self and others: it's best to know ahead of time, and it's best to be WIDE awake! LOL I really shouldn't have been trusted with a pair of scissors last night as I could hardly keep my eyes open!! :D