PDA

View Full Version : Going to a Ren Faire tomorrow!!

tinker bug
June 25th, 2010, 09:31 PM
So tomorrow I'm going to the annual Rennaisance Faire in my small community, and I was wondering what you guys usually buy there...? I'm hoping to buy lots of hairtoys since I don't have a credit card, so I don't buy online very often. Does anyone have any staples that theyusually buy at Ren Faires? I'm maintaining at hip right now and hoping to spice up the maintaining process :D Keep in mind I'm 17 and lean towards the wilder side of updos :cheese:

Khiwanean
June 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Lucky! The ren faire closest to me starts in July. As for hair toys to get at a ren faire, the only kind I've gotten at one at this point was a hand knotted leather slide. I've pretty much outgrown it for anything other than ponytails now.

Though I'm pretty certain they aren't really authentic to the renaissance era they also have these spiral hair ornaments (http://www.singletreedesign.com/hairspirals/howtodetailed.html). They don't look exactly like in the link as they're more out of a large gauge of wire and some come with dangles on the end.
(http://www.singletreedesign.com/hairspirals/howtodetailed.html)

Loreley
June 26th, 2010, 01:42 AM
Lucky you! I'm jealous, there's no Ren Faire here. :wail:
I hope you'll find great hair toys! :D

StarryNight
June 26th, 2010, 02:14 AM
It isn't hair related, but I always love the food! Chocolate dipped cheesecake on a stick, turkey legs, gelato, beer, breads, gyro, and did I mention the FOOD?!
Also, the jousting is fun to watch. Check out which entertainers are playing. If the Poxy Boggards are there I highly recommend them, although they are...not PG. And the Dread Crew of Oddwood are good. :) have fun!!

YesitsReal
June 26th, 2010, 04:00 AM
This is a bit of a hijack, but I'm hoping one of you Ren-Faire lovers out there will see this and be able to help me--how does one go about participating at a Ren Faire? Do you have to have special training? Be an actor? Also, does anyone know where you can go to learn how to joust, sword fight, that kind of thing?

Khiwanean
June 26th, 2010, 04:36 AM
YesitsReal, I don't know about others as I've only actually been to the Ren Faire twice or so, but I haven't had any special training or anything. I just dress up in something renaissance-y and go. If you're actually employed there I would imagine training of some form would be beneficial and may or may not be required, but for general faire goers not necessary. As far as learning to sword fight (and perhaps some of those other things you'd like to learn), you may want to contact your local Society for Creative Anachronism (http://www.sca.org/geography/findsca.html).

tinker bug
June 27th, 2010, 05:44 PM
YesitsReal, the ren faire in my community is put on by a group of actors, entertainers, seamstresses, techies, muscians, sword fighters,... anyone is welcome, and at the faire you can speak to some of the older members about when and where meetings are held, or just go on to their website to get ahold of someone. In my community, the group meets at a public library, so it might be helpful to ask someone at your library about the local ren faire.

If you just want to go and enjoy the faire without working on it (this is where I fall in, lol) you can just dress up and go :flower:

x

I ended up getting a LOAD of great toys, but I let DBF borrow my camera last week, so I havent been able to take pictures :c In any case, I purchased two (I think they're called) African butterfly clips, two sparkley fakkares, two sets of small-sized hairsticks, four sets of regular sized hairsticks, two hand carved hairsticks, a set of dangly yello hairsticks with matching earrings, and a hair spiral! I know it sounds like i just spent my whole savings, but for the lot I actually only spent $40, which isn't too bad since this is the only real time I splurge. I ment to buy a flowered headband to hold onto to wear for homecoming, and upper arm bracelet (they were only $6!! I'm kicking myself for not getting one...), and some rings since I usually can't find sizes 3 or 4 anywhere else. In about 3 weeks the community will be putting on their sidewalk art show, so hopefully I can pick up the rest of the stuff I wanted at the ren faire, and by then I'll have gotten my paycheck!! I'll be sure to post pics within the week so you guys can see all of my pretties :D

Kome
June 27th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I have a large version of that spiral hair ornament that holds all of my hair and I love it. It looks really nice. I've had it for a couple of years. :)

GRU
June 27th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I would love to get one of those fancy hair braids done at a Ren Faire!