PDA

View Full Version : Is trimming necessary?

MementoMori
June 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM
While researching online, I seem to be getting mixed advice. Some people say that if I don't trim my hair it will split up to the root. Other people say that the split would break off before it would ever cause damage to the hair. Personally, when I've pulled up some splits before, the split wouldn't travel more than 2 inches or so before one half of the hair would break off.

Anyways, is occasionally trimming hair necessary for hair to be healthy? I'd like to get a haircut (it has been either 1-2 years. . .I can't remember :S), but I'm afraid that my parents would make me take off a few inches. I'm fine with 1-2 inches, but I'm afraid that my dad will demand that 3-4 inches be taken off. It doesn't help that my mom wants to cut my hair off to shoulder length >__>.

I'm also scared that my mom will make me get layers again. The last time I got a haircut, she made me get long-ish layers, and I wasn't really a fan of them. Even though my hair is longer, it now has a V shape. However, I would like to get bangs.

Trimming my hair at home really isn't an option either. If I tried to cut my own hair, my parents would notice. The last time I had my dad cut my hair, my hair went from butt length to shoulder blade length. He insists that he's cutting off the "dead ends", or just the parts that don't feel as soft >__<.

Anyways, my hair is currently a little bit longer than elbow length, but I'm afraid that my parents would cut it mid-back. However, I also fear that going so long without cutting my hair would cause my hair to be unhealthy, and cause my parents to cut it much shorter than just a few inches.

I never use a straightener. I only occasionally (about once a month) use a blow dryer. Most of my split ends are about 1-2 centimeters long.

Should I get my hair trimmed, and risk my parents having a decent amount taken off, or would it be okay to wait 1-2 more years before I get my hair cut? I hope I made sense.

embee
June 25th, 2010, 05:09 PM
It is not necessary to have trims. If you take good care of your hair, it's not likely unhealthy. You may *want* to trim, so you have thick soft ends or a particular hemline shape or a blunt cut or to remove damage..

If you think your folks are going to press you to cut, you might try wearing your hair up much of the time. Then it doesn't look so long, like it's getting into everything, it can be neat and contained. I don't mean a ponytail, though that is fine for many things, but it shows the length. I was thinking various buns, braided buns, that kind of thing.

ravenreed
June 25th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I trim regularly because in the long run it reduces tangles which lead to more splits. Other hair types might get away with not trimming but mine does best with regular, small trims.

How easily does your hair split? If you don't see lots, you might not need to worry.

MementoMori
June 25th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I trim regularly because in the long run it reduces tangles which lead to more splits. Other hair types might get away with not trimming but mine does best with regular, small trims.

How easily does your hair split? If you don't see lots, you might not need to worry.

Most of the hairs have a small split, but most of the splits aren't past 2 cm. Oddly, my hair doesn't tangle often, even when I don't brush it. :D

mostylist
June 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Keep your hair moisturized, to keep splits from happening. leave in conditioner.

jane53
June 25th, 2010, 06:15 PM
It's a matter of individual choice and what works for your hair. I trim my hair regularly to keep it about hip length. It makes my hair look healthier and longer because the ends look thicker.

That's what works for me.

Sometimes, I let my hair get to tailbone or past tailbone, but when it gets to that length it starts driving me crazy and I start wanting to cut it ALL OFF. A trim to hip length makes me happy with my hair again.

Sissy
June 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I trim my hair regularly to keep it about hip length. It makes my hair look healthier and longer because the ends look thicker.

I think that's true that hair will look healthier and longer when the ends look thicker. I had fairy tale ends before and when I got it trimmed fairly blunt people didn't really even seem to notice I'd had my hair cut! When the ends get thin and really prone to tangling I know it's time for a trim because otherwise they'll just keep splitting and tangling.

If you really don't want to trim perhaps you could get a pair of decent hair scissors and at least start S&Ding those splits... if you just leave them they likely will make your ends tangle and break easier.

Anyhow, I am really starting to believe that more frequent micro trims might be the way to gain length. I'm leaning towards this because I haven't really seen good growth when I let my hair go and go and then eventually try to even it up and lose a lot of length in doing so. Also, fellow LHCer Emichiee (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=4812) has recently regained a lot of thickeness and growth by doing monthly (I believe it was monthly) mini-trims following some thinning she'd experienced. She has made fantastic progress. This, for me, is proof that frequent micro-trimming may be the way to go if you want longer, thicker, healthier hair.

Anlbe
June 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Depends entirely on your hair, my hair actually gets shorter if I don't trim because it splits so much. Sometimes I trim a split end then follow it up and realise it's just a fork of an even larger split. It sounds like your hair's fairly robust so you probably won't have to deal with that. However, if you want optimal growth you do have to get rid of split ends. Some people have so few split ends it doesn't make much difference, some of us have to maintain constant damage control. But you can do this by chopping them off individually instead of trimming if you prefer.

eschmi1
June 25th, 2010, 06:48 PM
I try to trim it once in awhile for my hair type. Mine gets tangled up easily, so I have to trim it. Pain in the rear sometimes :p

Cailie
June 25th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Could you trimm sooo little by yourself (ex. 1 cm every 3-6 months) that your parents wouldn't notice ?

(there is a very easy method for self-trimming)

squiggyflop
June 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
my hair doesnt get longer if i dont trim.. the splits grab at healthy ends and damage them too.. and i end up with hair breaking off faster than its growing.. its so sad because since joining ive had to trim 21 inches.. 38+21=59 inches of hair i would have by now.. though it would have been freakish to go from shoulder to 59 inches in less than 3 years

spidermom
June 25th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I'm happier with my hair when I trim it. Right now I can't afford my hair stylist so I'm letting it grow. As long as I don't have a lot of grabby split ends causing knots and tangles, I'm not worried about it.

Juneii
June 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
A trim doesn't have to mean 1-2 inches, you can just trim off about 1/2 an inch - so little that your parents won't notice. If you don't trim your hair often it may (although some people have indestructible hair, I don't think this is the case) grow thinner at the end. I assume your parents are only pushing you to get your hair cut because the ends aren't thick and therefore they don't think it's healthy or look nice?
Either way, you can trim your hair by yourself a little bit at a time to not attract attention from your parents. Invest in some sharp hair scissors and the split ends won't come back as much. :)

jasper
June 25th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Not that I want to promote defiance of parents, but you said you can't self trim because your parents would notice. Notice and do what? :shrug:

spidermom
June 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Not that I want to promote defiance of parents, but you said you can't self trim because your parents would notice. Notice and do what? :shrug:

I was wondering the same thing.

bte
June 26th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Ooh, the big question.

This has been debated backwards and forwards forever.

I would answer with an either/or answer:

If you need length more than quality, or are lucky enough to have hair that doesn't split or frizz, then don't trim.

If you look a mess without trimming, and regular trima won't prevent you from reaching your goal, then trim as often as you really need to.

Siava
June 26th, 2010, 07:52 AM
While researching online, I seem to be getting mixed advice. Some people say that if I don't trim my hair it will split up to the root. Other people say that the split would break off before it would ever cause damage to the hair.

You'll get the same responses here. Hair behavior is as unique as the members of this forum. :)

countryhopper
June 26th, 2010, 08:16 AM
First off, welcome! :)

If you have damage caused by chemicals, heat, or rough brushing, it is (in my opinion), better to trim small amounts at a time to avoid hair breaking off and splitting. You can take off just a tiny bit at a time (say, 1/4 to 1/2 an inch) every few months so that your hair still grows (gaining length) but the splits won't keep traveling up the healthy hair shaft. If your hair has no damage and you take good care of it then I see no reason to trim frequently. I have no damage, but I recently trimmed to make my hemline more even.

Here are your options:

*S&D: Search and Destroy splits and white dots using very sharp scissors. Only trim slightly above each split. Does not affect overall length. Gets rid of minor splits. If your hair is full of splits, it might be better to do a trim. which leads us to...

*Feye's Self Trim Method: Instructions on how to trim your own hair in a blunt, U, or V shaped hemline. This will be much easier for you since your hair is elbow length. I have had great success with doing this. The instructions are very easy, and there is no way you can take off more than you want.

*Professional trim.
Pros: You get to pay someone else to cut your hair! (maybe you like to do such a thing). They can cut your hair into a nice shape, or help shape your hair through akward growing out phases.
Cons: They often take off too much length. They might add layers even if you don't want them (there have been horror stories on this site!). They are often expensive!!

Brenda714
June 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I like a little trim or dusting, it makes my hair feel healthier. But I only trust my personal stylist, you need to find someone you trust, ask around to other longhairs.

LaurelSpring
June 26th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I have found that micro dustings every 3 months are the best for my hair. I let it go for 8 months without a trim. The ends were ok, but my hair tapers so much when it grows that it looked pretty weird. I just trim off the tiniest little bit. Basically just the fuzzies at the very ends. Its very easy to do this and you could do it without your parents even noticing.

Check out Feye's method. I had some trouble with it so I modified it a bit using some other suggestions and I am getting good results now. Here is what I do:

I tip my head forward and comb, smooth and gather my hair in a pony at the nape. Keeping hair smooth and head tilted forward and keeping as much tension as possible for smoothness I pony down the length. (Feye's method has you pull the scrunci down the length and I couldnt seem to do this evenly. The pony down the length method worked much better at stabilizing the hair).

Once I have done this and still trying to maintain the tension at the ends to keep it even I pull it over my shoulder and just nip the fuzzies at the ends. Its more like 1/16-1/8 ". Next, I part it down the middle and bring each side forward tilting my head back, I keep the tension and bring my fingers down to the ends and then again trim only the fuzzies at the very ends. I do this on boths sides and then make sure they are even when I compare them. Then I usually comb all hair to each side and check the fuzzies and see if any more needs to be trimmed.

This way I keep my length and my ends still look healthy and feel good. Use good scissors when you do this. You can probably get a decent pair at Walmart. Other than this I would wear my hair up so parents wouldn't notice so much. If they do start up about trimming perhaps you could explain how important your hair is to you and try to reason with them. Most parents like to pick their battles and if you give them some good heartfelt reasons about why you love your hair, it could persuade them to see your point of view.

mellie89
June 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I am also going to recommend self-trimming just a tiny bit (less than half an inch) every few months. Your parents won't notice, but you'll keep the ends healthy.