PDA

View Full Version : What to do about layers

ladyashley
June 25th, 2010, 12:35 PM
I lost my mind about a year ago and cut my hip length hair up to just below my shoulders and had it layered. I immediately started growing it back out.

It is currently at bra strap length, 21 inches long, and the shortest layers are 17 inches long. I guess I have two questions.

1. Should I just cut it all to the same length?

2. Does anyone know of any good updo's that I will be able do with my layers? I haven't really tried much, I guess I am just afraid nothing will turn out well because of the layers.

I don't know if it matters, but my hair is pretty thick and curly/wavy.

Sarahmoon
June 25th, 2010, 12:52 PM
I'd say, if you like the way layers look on you, keep them. If you don't like it, let it grow out.

A messy bun would work I guess, I'm afraid more "neat" styles won't work out pretty well, unless you manage to pin back all the short whispies.

ifyouforget
June 25th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Braids are a good option for multiple-length hair- french braids and variations thereof can pull in shorter layers. Also agree with LadyAshley about the messy bun.
As for cutting off the layers, personally I would wait until the shortest layers are at a point where I wouldn't be at risk for triangle-head (especially if you have thick, curly hair!) A clean hemline is awesome, but not if it makes you feel like a pyramid :) Also, if you cut off the layers and don't like it, the temptation will likely be to cut in *more* layers to fix it. Pretty counter-productive!
Basically I suggest just doing what you feel comfortable with, while being aware of the possible pitfalls of going all-one-length too soon.

HintOfMint
June 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
For thick wavy/curly hair, I am not a fan of one-length hair unless it is past BSL. A shorter blunt cut generally makes that hairtype go poof (Triangle Head syndrome), and looks a bit like a grown-out bob, and as a result, a bit unkempt. I would keep the layers until the majority of the hair is below BSL.