PDA

View Full Version : In a mild state of panic...

Tonks
June 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM
I had a brief one-month flirtation with dreadlocks where I backcombed my entire head into sections and occasionally sprayed my hair with salt water.

I was having a bad day a little while ago, and in my mini-depression, I decided I was going to comb everything out. Now my hair is all loose again, but there's the obvious split ends and other damage from it being backcombed and not combed for a month.

To be honest, I miss not having to deal with my hair everyday, and I sort of wish that I hadn't given up on it (maybe in a few years or so I'll have the courage to stick it out till they're fully mature).

But now that's it's loose again, I'm not going to re-backcomb it (my hair would fall out! Way too much damage, even for locs), but I'm having a mini freak out with the damage that I did get both from the backcombing and getting all the knots out, and all the breakage.

More than anything, I don't want to lose any length, since I'm finally just an inch or two away from BSL. I've gone back to cones to help hide some of the damage, and I've started oiling again on top of that (never mind that some think oiling with cones makes no difference). Is there anything else I can do on a regular basis that's going to give my hair the best chance for health while I grow out this damage? My hair was the healthiest its ever been before I backcombed.

jasper
June 25th, 2010, 08:09 AM
i don't know about product to use, but my version of not having to deal with my hair every day is the lazy wrap bun. i realize a dreadlocks kind of gal isn't usually also an out of sight out of mind gal when it comes to hair, but it can be a way to avoid further damage while you wait for better things.

Fractalsofhair
June 25th, 2010, 08:10 AM
One backcombing shouldn't cause that damage, I'm guessing it's the frequent salt water sprays personally.

I'd do a good S&D session without cones, then start moisturizing like crazy! Only shampoo your roots, and use a rich conditioner. Also, as your hair gets longer, there are some braided styles you don't have to retouch daily.

SlightlySoprano
June 25th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Well for starters, don't panic! There is no way to "fix" split ends, and I have found in my hair that coney conditioners suck moisture away so that I actually get MORE splits than with nonconey conditioners and lots of oiling.

I suggest some benign neglect, SMTs, oiling, braiding, and no stress :cool:.

Stephichan
June 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Well for starters, don't panic! There is no way to "fix" split ends, and I have found in my hair that coney conditioners suck moisture away so that I actually get MORE splits than with nonconey conditioners and lots of oiling.

I suggest some benign neglect, SMTs, oiling, braiding, and no stress :cool:.

I second this! Also, get yourself some quality hair scissors and start S&Ds. Best of luck!

spidermom
June 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM
You could duplicate the look of dreads with multiple small braids, plus S&D is pretty easy with braids as the splits that stick out are easy to get to.

Good luck. Several small trims in the coming months, deep conditioning, and S&D will put your hair right again, I'm sure.

Loreley
June 25th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I'd do a lot of S&D and moisturize.

Nae
June 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
I would just moisturize the heck out of it! Put it up and give it a while to recuperate. Now would be a great time to try out all kinds of different oils to see if you get good results with some of the ones you haven't tried yet!!!

GRU
June 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I suggest some benign neglect, SMTs, oiling, braiding, and no stress.
Also, get yourself some quality hair scissors and start S&Ds.
Several small trims in the coming months, deep conditioning, and S&D will put your hair right again, I'm sure.
I'd do a lot of S&D and moisturize.
I would just moisturize the heck out of it! Put it up and give it a while to recuperate. Now would be a great time to try out all kinds of different oils to see if you get good results with some of the ones you haven't tried yet!!!

^^^this^^^