PDA

View Full Version : Pin/Rag Curls

blackfrostqueen
May 13th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi everyone...:D

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on pin/rag curls? I can't seem to roll them for the life of me, and a curling iron just takes too long in the morning.

I love curls, I just don't want to damage my hair with a perm or anything like that ever again. But would like to successfully roll my hair up before bed.

For me pin curls never stay pinned for the period of time I need them too. And rag curls always turn out frizzy, that and never seem to be rolled right. I don't think I am sectioning the hair properly. I so wish I could figure out a good way to section the hair.

Please anyone, help??

Elistariel
May 13th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I got some from my friend. I think mine are called pillow curlers.
I've learned:
Wait till my hair is completely dry before putting them in to sleep in.
Do NOT brush my hair after.
Finger-comb only.

I learned the hard way that curling while damp will lead to curls that rival Shirley Temple.
Brushing them will just make me look like bad yard art.

Silver & Gold
May 13th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I got some from my friend. I think mine are called pillow curlers.
I've learned:
Wait till my hair is completely dry before putting them in to sleep in.
Do NOT brush my hair after.
Finger-comb only.

I learned the hard way that curling while damp will lead to curls that rival Shirley Temple.
Brushing them will just make me look like bad yard art.

Hee hee, giggling at the mental picture of hair as 'bad yard art'.

Dulci
May 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone...:D

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips on pin/rag curls? I can't seem to roll them for the life of me, and a curling iron just takes too long in the morning.

I love curls, I just don't want to damage my hair with a perm or anything like that ever again. But would like to successfully roll my hair up before bed.

For me pin curls never stay pinned for the period of time I need them too. And rag curls always turn out frizzy, that and never seem to be rolled right. I don't think I am sectioning the hair properly. I so wish I could figure out a good way to section the hair.

Please anyone, help??

Here is a way cool link (http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/hair.html) for vintage hairstyle instructions, includes lots of photos & tips on pincurls, rag rollers, fingerwaves and rolls. Hope this helps, and good luck!

blackfrostqueen
May 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you three for the type/suggestions...now off to read Dulci's link. Thanks again.

AnneAdeline
May 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I followed that link and now I want to try some rag curls! I get so tired of my straight hair sometimes. Thanks for the suggestions!

Elistariel - One time I brushed out my hair after a ton of braids. Bad decision. :blueeek:

Tangles
May 13th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I always got frizzy results from pin curls. I think your best bet would be to do them when your hair is 95% dry.

RedButterfly
May 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I just wanted to add that you should use a leave-in conditioner and a little aloe gel when you do the pin curls. That really helps me when I do pin curls.