PDA

View Full Version : Aloe vera gel?

kristymarie87
June 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I dont really know what i'm looking for.

Someone recommended it for scrunching and i've been looking in health shops but so far have only found a tube of it and it says on the instructions its for skin.

Is there one for skin, one for hair?

I just want to get rid of the dryness. The roots are ok, smooth, not shiny but OK. I tried CWC last night and was impressed, not much difference but i will stick with it and monitor the results. I've tried coconut oil but it doesnt seem to make any difference and to much makes it sooo greasy!

So im looking at aloe vera. I guess i should try other oils too but i have naturally greasy hair (except the ends) and although i only run it through the ends i look like i havent washed in a month! Plus im really skint atm and am looking at trying anything cheap and cheerful!

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I use the gel coming from the tube (Holland&Barrett). Yes, it says SKIN on there, but that's just because that is the most common use for it.

I would suggest doing a deep treatment for the lengths. I will try to find the thread for you, if nobody beats me to it :)

EDIT: Here (http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=aloe+honey) it is.

HairColoredHair
June 24th, 2010, 06:47 AM
I found my aloe at Walmart, in the lotions. The stuff in the sunblock areas tends to have painkillers and other stuff in it for the treatment of burns which will dry your hair out (or dye it green, whichever). But the 100% stuff in the lotions was fine. Still said it was for skin, but hey, most people think honey is for eating. :lol:

kristymarie87
June 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Thats good, i will have to get hold of some....hopefully this will work! Not having much luck.

CO didnt work, WO didnt work, now doing CWC, not much luck with coconut oil! On to the next....

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Go and check Holland&Barrets. It's a green/white tube with green lid. Pure aloe gel.

Good luck!

Kome
June 24th, 2010, 07:34 AM
You can get it at Walmart, and like the above person said, it's in the sunscreen section! It's just a green gel and it will be advertised to use for sunburns. Here is a picture of mine! I don't know if this is from Walmart though, we've had it for awhile, but it'll give you an idea of what you're looking for. ^__^

Here's a link to a riculously large picture because I didn't check the upload size first. Haha. :D
http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/?action=view&current=8c28cc04.jpg

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM
There's no Walmart in the UK. Only ASDA, which is a daughter company, but they do not have the same stock :(

Kome
June 24th, 2010, 08:13 AM
There's no Walmart in the UK. Only ASDA, which is a daughter company, but they do not have the same stock :(

Aloe vera is sold at many other places other than Walmart.

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Kome, I know that, that's why I have suggested H&B ;-) .
I was merely pointing out the fact that Walmart is not around in the UK, because two members have suggested aloe gel from Walmart. It's great to know that you can get good and recommandable products at Walmarts, it's just a shame we cannot get those products here.

Kome
June 24th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Kome, I know that, that's why I have suggested H&B ;-) .
I was merely pointing out the fact that Walmart is not around in the UK, because two members have suggested aloe gel from Walmart. It's great to know that you can get good and recommandable products at Walmarts, it's just a shame we cannot get those products here.

Ah okay. I dunno. Walmart isn't all that great, so don't be too sad. I'd get it at Target or the grocery store before I went to Walmart. Haha.

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM
It's great to know it's available there in case I am in the USA and need some. Or if a friend goes over and I make a lump order LOL!

Kome
June 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
It's great to know it's available there in case I am in the USA and need some. Or if a friend goes over and I make a lump order LOL!

Haha. I do that with my favorite soda. They don't have it here in my state, but sometimes when I road trip I can find it up north. I'll find it at a gas station and buy like 10 bottles of soda. They always look at me strange. :poot:

kristymarie87
June 24th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Why dont we have a walmart? ASDA is OK but walmart do EVERYTHING! or so i have heard....

Target always good for bargins and we dont have that either!

Anywho....must get some aloe :D

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Haha. I do that with my favorite soda. They don't have it here in my state, but sometimes when I road trip I can find it up north. I'll find it at a gas station and buy like 10 bottles of soda. They always look at me strange. :poot:
You should see the contents of my car after I visited my family. FULL of stuff I do not get over here. Shampoos included :cheese:

Why dont we have a walmart? ASDA is OK but walmart do EVERYTHING! or so i have heard....

Target always good for bargins and we dont have that either!

Anywho....must get some aloe :D

I remember Walmart was in Germany for a couple of years but then closed all their shops. We're actually lucky we still have ASDA as they have at least some of Walmarts products.

Good luck with finding aloe vera gel!

kristymarie87
June 24th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Good luck with finding aloe vera gel!

I know where to get it lol. I didnt though because i thought it was just for skin!!!

Missed my chance...maybe tomorrow?

Party tonight, gonna reck my hair with heat :( but theres no other way...

Gothic Lolita
June 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Yes, we had Walmart here in Germany, but people didn't buy there. We already have a couple of chains and Walmart wasn't quite what "the German customer" wanted. So they closed and all those really big houses are now empty....

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Kristy, tomorrow then :) Enjoy the party and pamper your hair afterwards ;-)

GRU
June 24th, 2010, 10:54 AM
You can get it at Walmart, and like the above person said, it's in the sunscreen section! It's just a green gel and it will be advertised to use for sunburns.

That's not pure Aloe -- it has chemicals mixed in for "sunburn relief".

What you want is this kind: http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Earth-Aloe-Vera-100/dp/B000ALDK1A (also sold at Walmart and other retailers).

senorasunny
June 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Can you also use aloe gel squeezed right from the plant? I have an aloe plant and am wondering if I could use it on my hair.

Quixii
June 24th, 2010, 11:03 AM
That's not pure Aloe -- it has chemicals mixed in for "sunburn relief".

What you want is this kind: http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Earth-Aloe-Vera-100/dp/B000ALDK1A (also sold at Walmart and other retailers).
This is the kind I use. :)

*Aoife*
June 24th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm really sorry, but can someone point out exactly which product is the pure Aloe Vera gel? http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=77&page=1 Thanks. I just can't see anything that is 100% Aloe

ButterCream
June 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hi there:)

To me it looks like this one?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=515&prodid=298

Hope that helps:)

Svenja
June 24th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Sorry Aiofe, the tube I have had is not on the website. Please, nobody tell me they did not continue this one!! The tube looked a bit like 99,9% tube (2nd product, first row), but it's not that one. I bought mine sometime last year. It was a small-ish, white tube with dark green (like moss) writing, no images or whatnot and a lid in the same dark green colour.

Yozhik
June 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Can you also use aloe gel squeezed right from the plant? I have an aloe plant and am wondering if I could use it on my hair.

I'm pretty sure you can -- as long as you can manage to squeeze enough from the leaves (and/or run the cut-open leaf on your hair). It can't get more 100% natural than that ;)
I used my aloe plant for burns, and it worked fine, and since you're using the gel directly from the plant, I don't see why that wouldn't work :)

...although maybe there are some other products that help the gel hold together if it's sold commercially? Well, I still think that using juice directly from the plant is fine.

kristymarie87
June 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
what about this http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1631&prodid=1752?

Tonks
June 25th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Does anyone know if the aloe vera sold by Avon is alright for the hair? I've been using it without any problems, but if there's something in there that's gonna change my hair green, nothing's gonna make me want to use that particular bottle anymore.

senorasunny
June 29th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks, Yozhik! I may try it sometime. The last time I cut off a frond, I was surprised at how much gel I was able to squeeze out of it.

Kome
June 29th, 2010, 10:54 AM
what about this http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1631&prodid=1752?

Looks good to me, or this one: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=515&prodid=298

You're really just looking for a gel, and that's what both of those are, so I think you're good! :)

renia22
June 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Aubrey Organics Aloe Vera is very nice, natural, without additives and can be used as a toner too.

wanderwoot
July 2nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
You should see the contents of my car after I visited my family. FULL of stuff I do not get over here. Shampoos included :cheese:

lol... for me it is cheetos! I buy like ten bags when I first arrive and then I restock when I'm about to leave, filling my suitcases full!

Oh a more on topic note... does anyone know if there's anywhere (in the UK) where I can get aloe that doesn't come in a plastic tube? I am trying to avoid buying new plastic where possible. Thanks!

Quezie
July 3rd, 2010, 02:21 AM
I buy my aloe gel at health food/supplement stores.
The kind that sell a bunch of vitamins, and carry some specialty foods (like coconut oil, conveniently for me :D ).