PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky clean hair... good or bad

jackiesjottings
June 24th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I used to think that squeaky clean hair was good, but then also found out that it is considered bad. Anyone know which is true? Mine is sometimes squeaky clean and sometimes not. I mainly use Utekram shampoo, in 4 varieties, rose, lavender, camomile and nettle and I haven't noticed any pattern as to which ones cause squeak and which don't. If it is good why and if it is bad, why? Curious of Oxford

marzipanthecat
June 24th, 2010, 04:51 AM
The theory I was told was that if your hair goes "squeeeek" when washed, you've taken off far too much of the "good" oils and grease, so your hair will end up dry and brittle.

Personally, I do think this depends on the person involved - I find a bit of "squeak" on my hair when I'm doing the final rinse means it's doing OK. But my husband finds that means his hair will be dry and frizzy.

So in conclusion - squeaky clean hair is good for me, but not necessarily for others!

rhosyn_du
June 24th, 2010, 04:59 AM
For me, squeaky clean on a regular wash day means that I need to moisturize like crazy or I'm going to end up with finger-in-a-light-socket hair, but if I'm doing a clarifying wash, it's a good sign because it means I got all of the gunk off.

Ravenne
June 24th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I find that if my hair doesn't squeak, then my hair will dry looking like it needs to be washed. I've also found that it's pretty easy to get my hair squeaky clean. CO and CWC give me that result. I aim for the squeak. :shrug:

Sarahmoon
June 24th, 2010, 05:04 AM
My hair also squeaks a little when it's still greasy. It squeaks no matter what shampoo I use.

If you want to figure out which shampoo works for you, go with how your hair feels and looks after using it, not with how it sounds.

BunnyBee
June 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Don't quote me on this but I think it has something to do with friction.. as in if your hair has a coating of oil, there is more slip therefore less resistance and no squeak, but take away the oil and the scales of your hair are left bare and squeak.

If you run your fingers the 'wrong' way of a hair strand, i.e from tip to root you'll hear a squeak because you're encountering resistance from the downward-pointing scales...

Okay I have no idea if that made any sense, but that's what I thought anyhow :p

Ally<3
June 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Wow I have heard that expression but never understood it to be literal. I have never herd my squeak (I don't think?)

I like to shampoo my hair twice a week, because that's all it needs I think. Think of your hair's cuticle like a mirror, you have to clean all the dirt and dust particles off in order to maximise shine. Only shampoo when needed though because your hair loves your natural oils.

Sorry I can't be of more help about the squeak! :)

RoseRedDead
June 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM
For me this is bad, as it means my hair will be uber dried-out. Unless I'm clarifying (after which I apply a moisturizing treatment from the ears down), I strive never to have squeaky hair.

MonaMayfair
June 24th, 2010, 05:32 AM
I've never been quite sure about this! My hair only squeaks when I use clarifying shampoo before I henna, but it does make it feel somehow cleaner at those times (I know that's not true!)

Sammich
June 24th, 2010, 05:40 AM
My hair doesn't like it when it squeaks, I hate the feeling. It seems that non sulfate shampoos do that to me! :p And I dislike non sulfate on my hair. :p

freckles
June 24th, 2010, 05:55 AM
as a little kid my dad always told me if it didn't squeak I should shampoo again. :lol: I don't do that now! But I don't deliberately 'avoid' the squeak either :)

julliams
June 24th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Mine always squeaks when I clarify so I'm guessing that this means all the silicones have been removed.

Merewen
June 24th, 2010, 06:37 AM
If you do like my cousins used to do and shampoo 42 times until it's all squeaky, it's bad. But squeak is not the epitome of evil. Heck, my hair squeaks when completely covered in conditioner sometimes.

HairColoredHair
June 24th, 2010, 06:44 AM
My hair doesn't like to squeak. Unless it's shampoo bars, in which case I tend to get a bit of squeak regardless. (I think it's the soap residues?)

jackiesjottings
June 24th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Thank you for all your replies so far :)

StephanieB
June 24th, 2010, 07:11 AM
My hair squeaks when I CWC, when I CO, and when I wash with shampoo only or shampoo/conditioner. That doesn't prevent my hair, however, from being well-moisturized most of the time. The only time my didn't squeak was when I tried WO for many months - but my hair HATED that... And if my hair is really really oily (or has been oiled with coconut oil) - it won't squeak with water alone - but a bit of shampoo will bering it's squeak back.

I don't deliberately wash to the point of squeakiness, but neither do I avoid it.

moominhapa
June 24th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I like my hair to be a little squeaky when I wash it. Otherwise it's usually a sign that I didn't get all the conditioner or oil out. That said, I think it's not good to try and get it super squeaky clean because that probably just means you're stripping your hair.

JenniferNoel
June 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Even when my hair is greasy it squeaks at least a little when wet.
If I shampoo more than once, it starts to sound like nails on a chalk board. I remember those days.

Quixii
June 24th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think my hair has ever squeaked. I hate to think what kind of damage I would need to do to my hair to make it squeak.

spidermom
June 24th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Squeaky clean is good for me if I want to look like I styled my hair by doing loop-de-loops on my broomstick through the desert.

x0h_bother
June 24th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I prefer a little squeak by my scalp to it being matted and slippery there. I think a little squeak gives my roots more volume. But I do not like squeak on the length. But everyone is different.

NorthernDancer
June 24th, 2010, 01:36 PM
If my hair squeaks when in the shower that means it is WAY over-cleaned and I'll need to moisturize like crazy, or live with dry crunchy hair. I've found that if it's slippery, but not squeaky, then it's just right.

My mom used to tell me that it wasn't clean unless it squeaks, but I've since learned that "clean" and "perfect" aren't the same thing for me. Also she has curly hair and I have stick strait hair, so that might have something to do with it.

ravenreed
June 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM
My hair always squeaks, even when I CO and it is nicely moisturized. I don't worry about it.

eschmi1
June 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I try not to make it that squeaky. That usually means all the moisture is out of it. This is not good for my hair. :o

virgo75
June 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I like squeeky clean when I'm going to deep condition afterwards.
My hair seems to only soak up conditioner when it's squeeky clean.

But squeeky clean after a regular daily washing is not as good since most daily conditioners aren't that moisturizing.

If your hair is happy with squeeky clean, then do what works for you!
:flower:

RavennaNight
June 24th, 2010, 02:59 PM
:rollin: I'm sorry but I find the whole squeaking thing hillarious. Dude, it's hair not a small animal. :rollin:

eta: If my hair squeaked at me I would wonder if it was complaining too.

/useless post about how easily amused I am...:o

plainjanegirl
June 24th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I hate when my hair has that squeak to it and wish I could find a shampoo that would not squeak.

Carina
June 24th, 2010, 03:17 PM
:shake:I have never heard my hair go squeak ever as far as I can remember.But I just hate when it feels like straw after I even used conditioner on my hair.

Yozhik
June 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM
My hair doesn't like to squeak. Unless it's shampoo bars, in which case I tend to get a bit of squeak regardless. (I think it's the soap residues?)

I use shampoo bars, too, and I've found that they do make my hair squeak. Other SLS-free shampoo does not, which I found to be slightly disconcerting when I switched over, because I used to gauge "cleanliness" by squeak :nono:

I prefer a little squeak by my scalp to it being matted and slippery there. I think a little squeak gives my roots more volume. But I do not like squeak on the length. But everyone is different.

I do this, too! I use the shampoo bar to get a little squeak on my head, but I try not to aim for that on my ends.

Dreams_in_Pink
June 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Good for me.

My hair's brittle and dry when it's squeaky. But it's even more brittle when it's not squeaky! (and crunchy too!) so i guess less brittle is better than more brittle :shrug:

Alaia
June 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Mine always squeeks. Always has, even when I was using CO-with-no-chemicals. Mine seems fine and not lacking of moisture.

ericthegreat
June 25th, 2010, 01:28 AM
My hair squeaks simply anytime it comes in contact with water of any kind. Whether I take a shower and I'm COing or washing my hair, taking a bath, or swimming as long as my hair is being rinsed with water in any way my hair will feel a bit rough and give that squeaking sound.
I'm going to take an educated guess and state that I think that coarse hair is more likely to make that squeaky sound when you rub your fingers thro it.

Newniepg
June 25th, 2010, 01:52 AM
When I was a teenager, my very short haired brother told me I needed to make my hair sqeak in order to not be greasy and disgusting for school. My nearly waist length, frizz prone hair did not like this treatment but like an idiot I listened to him!

Hearing the squeak makes me reach for the oil now. :)

jackiesjottings
June 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies. Mine hair doesn't feel too stripped of moisture, so I don't think it sometimes being squeaky is a bad thing in my case. It doesn't happen all the time though so I am going to see if one particular one of my shampoos makes it squeak.

Igor
June 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Good or bad? I would have to say that the one and only truth is that it’s not necessary to have squeaky hair to have clean hair

Back_To_Basics
July 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
:rollin: I'm sorry but I find the whole squeaking thing hillarious. Dude, it's hair not a small animal. :rollin:

eta: If my hair squeaked at me I would wonder if it was complaining too.

/useless post about how easily amused I am...:o

Interesting thread, I agree I also http://www.all4gsds.com/bb/images/smiles/roflhard.gif with the squeaky.
I also get the squeak once in awhile. I notice when it is like this
my hair drys ok, but does not feel full / totally moisturized. It feels silky and smooth..but the as I mentioned the fullness thick feeling is not there. I hope that makes sense :o
Great topic!.