PDA

View Full Version : Sixteen years

bte
June 24th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Hi folks. Today is 16 years since my last trim.

As many older folks here will know, I have both MPB and an unspectacular terminal length, but I enjoy having enough hair for a ponytail every day and a braid every night.

Current project is growing out my sideburns - a bit uneven at the moment, but long enough to tie into a small ponytail of their own. The pic indicates the longest strands held by my fingers. Note the high tech piece of paper to show the contrast better.

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad53/workingsheepdogbte/0956474web.jpg

Thank you to everyone for your encouragement, good luck to everybody, and here's to the next 23 years when I reach my goal of 39 years without a trim (I started regrowing at 39 years old).

Dani
June 24th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Awesome! That is very inspirational to hear. :D My dad will be 55 next month, but he shaves his head ('cause of his baldness; he's not cool with it)- but I remember photos of him in highschool in the early '70's, his hair was thick and brown and long and layered... Anyway, your age just made my brain remember those pics, and there is quite a difference between your heads of hair! I can't wait to see a photo. :rolling:

ETA: There's a pic now- your sideburn ponytailies are great. :D

Medievalmaniac
June 24th, 2010, 03:27 AM
congratulations on a major milestone - that takes a lot of dedication and patience!!

freckles
June 24th, 2010, 04:21 AM
congratulations! maybe you should buy your hair a lottery ticket to celebrate its sixteenth! :D

jel
June 24th, 2010, 04:28 AM
Congrats! You should be the chair of the No-Trimming Club! :D

The sideburns project is interesting - I've seen people growing their beards before, and even moustaches, but never just sideburns. Wonder what their terminal lenght will be...

Here's to the next 23 years and onwards! :toast:

mellie
June 24th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Wow! Congratulations!!

bte
June 24th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Thanks - Dani - the ponytailies are for special occasions only!
Jel - chair of the no trimming club - tha would be an honour, although I think there are a few here who have gone longer than 16 years. I am keen to see what terminal will be. Ask me again in a few years!
And Freckles, I will definitely buy a lottery ticket.
Finally, Mellie, thank you for the wow. I don't get many of those.

LaurelSpring
June 24th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Congratulations! Thats incredible! :applause

GoddesJourney
June 24th, 2010, 10:26 AM
That's a long time. Your sideburns project is an interesting idea. I guess I wouldn't typically consider the terminal length on a guy's facial hair. I've seen the beard thing, but the sideburns is new for me. Usually when a guy is "growing them out", he's just letting it grow a couple of centimeters for asthetic reasons.

Mexibeach
June 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM
That's awesome, I love the sideburn ponytails!

MsBubbles
June 24th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Sixteen years! That puts it in to perspective! Makes my piddly 2 year hair growing project seem like it hasn't even started yet. Congrats!

Cupofmilk
June 24th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Love the sideburns - so cool

princessp
June 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Congratulations!

halo_tightens
June 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I'm impressed! That's a very long time to go without trimming, and quite an investment of time and patience. You're a wonderful example for the rest of us! :grouphug:

spidermom
June 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I've never heard of growing sideburns, either; good luck with that. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Yozhik
June 24th, 2010, 01:25 PM
16 years with no trimming! Wow, that shows incredible dedication :)

Congratulations on your hair anniversary!

Calista
June 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I´m glad there are still people like you who choose to conform to their own beauty ideals instead of trying to jump through the hoop of western society´s aesthetic standards.

Long_hair_guy
June 24th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Wow I would of been 9 when you last had a trim.

Well Done

eschmi1
June 24th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Oh wonderful! Good for you :)

Drynwhyl
June 24th, 2010, 02:44 PM
If I had facial hair, I'd grow it longer than my hair. I love beards and sideburns :D
Congrats (:

Alaia
June 24th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I´m glad there are still people like you who choose to conform to their own beauty ideals instead of trying to jump through the hoop of western society´s aesthetic standards.

Me too.

Love the sideburns idea. It will be very interesting, and congrats on the no trimming!

embee
June 24th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Congrats on the 16 year anniversary. That's cool.

bte
June 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Thank you all for your comments and encouragement. I've had a great anniversary.

MsBubbles
Two years is still a long time - and you have achieved so much.

halo_tightens
Glad to be an example of patience for anyone who needs it.

llong_hair_guy
I frequently meet people who have whole families who weren't born 16 years ago - makes it seem a very long time.

Calista and Alaia
Thank you for this comment - I've always believed in doing what seems right for me rather than following a trend.

And to all of you, thank you and I will be keeping you updated on the project.