PDA

View Full Version : My first Chinese bun!

heatherovka
June 23rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Ok, I know I'm a dork, but I just did my first Chinese bun and I'm in love. It is so comfortable. Thanks for the inspiration, LHC! It is very secure and doesn't feel like I have a huge floppy knot on the back of my head. After I watched some youtube videos I feel like I have it down - it's really quite simple but looks fancy. Yay! :crush:

So here's a picture, but not a great one, 'cause I have a really hard time getting the back of my head myself....

http://hmpollard.home.insightbb.com/IMG_0320c.jpg

jane53
June 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM
Gorgeous! I have to figure out how to do that.

Gumball
June 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Outstanding! Those directions worked really well for you, because your Chinese bun looks flawless! The fact that it's holding perfectly and doesn't feel awkward at all is just icing on the cake. :D

Aliped
June 23rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Wow, that looks great - I'm heading over to youtube right now. I want that bun! :)

TinaDenali
June 23rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ooo! I like it!

Can you share the video you used to do it? I'd love to learn this one.

Paniscus
June 23rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
For whatever reason, I can not create too many buns that stay put. THIS one however, is fabulous! I wear my hair this way 80% of the time. You're right, it stays secure and stays put all day! Did you ponytail your hair first, or do the braid technique? I do either, but the ponytail is more secure for me. And the ends of my hair will not stay tucked, so I have to use a little hairfork to secure it, but it's really cute like this.

Congrats on doing your first chinese bun!! It looks fantastic! Be warned, it's an addictive hairstyle. Have you seen all the variations? I've braided and done rope braids then twisted it over the hairstick, gives a whole new look! :flower:

heatherovka
June 23rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Awww, thanks ladies.

I did a ponytail first, and I did have to bobby pin the ends because my hair is only APL right now. Without those bobby pins, it will eventually unravel.

I used this video, and she does a figure 8 variation too:

Chinese Bun and Variation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUT3KJgASac)

Gumball
June 23rd, 2010, 03:27 PM
Awww, thanks ladies. </snip>

And gent! :D

princessp
June 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM
I love it too! I'm going to have to learn.

Aliped
June 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
Here's mine!
It's my first chinese bun too!
http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr243/aliped99/Buns/chinesebun-1.jpg
Its comfortable, secure and does not flop about. I think this is my new favourite updo!

heatherovka
June 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
Oops, sorry! :o Thanks everyone!

jane53
June 23rd, 2010, 03:43 PM
Well, grump. I tried several times to do a Chinese bun, and it doesn't work with my hair.

My hair seems a bit long for it, but the real problem is that I can't get the ends to anchor.

Aliped
June 23rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Did you try bobby pins? I anchored both tails with two crossed bobby pins. This bun is staying put ALL DAY! :)

jane53
June 23rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Did you try bobby pins? I anchored both tails with two crossed bobby pins. This bun is staying put ALL DAY! :)

I'll try them, though I have so many buns that stay in place with just hair sticks or even a single hair stick, I'm likely to be lazy and avoid the ones I have to use bobby pins for. :cheese:

Gumball
June 23rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Well, grump. I tried several times to do a Chinese bun, and it doesn't work with my hair.

My hair seems a bit long for it, but the real problem is that I can't get the ends to anchor.

That's what usually happened when I tried to do Chinese buns. Now whenever I feel like doing them I do the braided version. It holds pretty darn well without pins, but I use pins for the extra super duper hold. Haha. The neat part about that is when I take the stick out, if the pins are still in, I have a stickless braided Chinese bun.

LadyMydnytMoon
June 23rd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Nice.... I wish my hair was long enough!

LaurelSpring
June 23rd, 2010, 04:00 PM
Your bun looks great! My hair is finally long enough to wear one without it looking like a tiny little knot. Until now I faked one with added fake hair. Thanks for posting the video. I loved the music and the slow motion way she did it. It made it really easy to follow. I am excited about trying the figure 8 now.

TinaDenali
June 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Heatherovka-
I like the look of your bun, did you do anything different at all? Yours looks amazing.

Thanks for sharing the link!! I'm off to try this! :)

Medievalmaniac
June 24th, 2010, 09:09 AM
You did a great job - it looks fabby (fabulous)! :)

heidihug
June 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Great job! I wear the Chinese bun at least once a week - it's wonderful. I use one Good Hair Days pin to fasten it - takes like two seconds and it's solid as a rock all day.

FrannyG
June 24th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Heatherovka, that's one of the prettiest Chinese buns I've ever seen. You really nailed it. :thumbsup:

Yours is lovely too, Aliped. :)

MandaMom2Three
June 24th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I love that bun :D! Can't wait to be able to do it again :p

BunnyBee
June 24th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Ah yes, Chinese Bun.. It used to be my favourite style when I had more taper from layers.. my hair is still the same length but more blunt and now Chinese buns don't work as well for me <_<

Yours looks lovely! :D

Loreley
June 24th, 2010, 11:13 AM
It looks great! :)

heatherovka
June 25th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Thanks!

TinaDenali, I think I did it pretty much the same way. My hair is shorter than hers in the video, so it crossed around the bottom, then the top, then I pinned the ends at the bottom.

On the other hand, I tried the variation, and it looked pathetic. Not enough length for that one yet, I guess!