PDA

View Full Version : Less fun with long hair?

Pear Martini
June 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
I live in a beach town and I love going to the beach. I don't even need to bring any kind of entertainment, I could just hang out at the beach for hours.

I also can't stand worring about not wetting my hair, and I am not confident enough to rock the swim cap here in Miami Beach.

So I just shampooed my hair yesterday, and if I go to the beach toda I will have to shampoo again, which will make my hair so dried out right?

This sucks, I really wanna go beaching, but I don't want to ruin my hair.

An ideas?

Dreams_in_Pink
June 23rd, 2010, 09:23 AM
Why shampoo? You can just do a WO wash at the end of the day.

SolSara
June 23rd, 2010, 09:27 AM
You really need to shampoo after being at the beach? Wouldn't plain water be enough to rinse out salt water and other nastys? How about doing some oiling? That will protect the hair from drying out to much from sun and salt water. Maybe CWC if you really feel the need for shampooing? :)

Capybara
June 23rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
I go to the beach all the time without having to wash :) My hair likes salt water for some reason, though.

Why not try wearing a bandana/head scarf, at least while lounging on the sand? A WO wash afterwards is a good idea too :)

Pear Martini
June 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Really? I always thought it was important to shampoo to get the salt water out... If WO washing would work, that would be awesome.

Maybe I will oil, like Solsara suggested

spidermom
June 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Braid with a lot of oil or conditioner in your hair. Then you could do a diluted shampoo or water rinse later.

Pear Martini
June 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
What if my hair dries with the saltwater still in it? My favorite beach doesn't have showers so I wouldn't be able to rinse til I get home.

Rapunzal2Be
I'm also for oiling or conditioning first, then braiding up and letting the heat help do a deep treatment all day, then rinsing out well with WO at the end of the day.

I only worry about using a swimmers shampoo after swimming in a pool with chlorine.

Pear Martini
Braid with a lot of oil or conditioner in your hair. Then you could do a diluted shampoo or water rinse later.

Good thinking, spidermom. Did you change your color again?

spidermom
June 23rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Good thinking, spidermom. Did you change your color again?

No, the Punky Rose-Red that I did for Easter is still slowly and gradually fading out so the color changes with every washing, plus my hair is going more silvery-white all the time because I'm getting old.

Pear Martini
June 23rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
No, the Punky Rose-Red that I did for Easter is still slowly and gradually fading out so the color changes with every washing, plus my hair is going more silvery-white all the time because I'm getting old.

I love the color in your sig picture! Embrace those silvery whites :D

spidermom
June 23rd, 2010, 09:59 AM
I love the color in your sig picture! Embrace those silvery whites :D

Thanks. I do; I think they're pretty, although I could do without the wirey texture of the white hairs. The silvery ones are just like the gold ones have always been.

sibiryachka
June 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
I would think that the same advice I've seen to protect hair from chlorinated water should apply to saltwater: Oil the ends well, and soak the hair with fresh water before getting it in the salt water - if it's already saturated, it won't be able to absorb much.

Finoriel
June 23rd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Whatever you end up doing, please do NOT use conditioner in your hair when swimming in the ocean.
No itīs not harmful to your hair :wink: itīs harmful for marine biology.

Oh and the theory of saturating ones hair with fresh water so it can not take up salt water is questionable. I donīt think it works, I think itīs more likely that the saltwater just slowly replaces the freshwater while you are swimming in it. According to physics the salt content should get balanced out.

I just wash out salt water with fresh water, works well for me.
If the salt water dries up in your hair you can still rinse it out later. The earlier - the better of course, but some hours with dried salt water in your hair will most likely not ruin it, if itīs in good health otherwise.
Just enjoy your beach :wink:

kittensoupnrice
June 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'd personally think that salt water would be perfectly fine for hair.
It's not like chlorine, or any number of the other chemicals that go into maintained pools.

The only thing I'd be worried about on the beach would probably be the sun changing my hair color. Some people like that look, though. :-)

Ice~Cold~Wind
June 23rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Like everyone else has suggested, oiling your hair and then just washing with water should keep your hair from drying out. limiting your time in salt water will help as well. I miss going to the beach when I lived in Florida. :( Would love to feel the ocean breeze through my locks again. ;)

Laylah
June 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
I usually oil and braid my hair when going to the beach... I hope that is harmful to the sea life :(
I'm with finoriel- I doubt soaking your hair beforehand will help, after all the levels of salt in and out of your hair will try to reach equilibrium by diffusion, like gargling salt water for a swollen throat. (it causes water to diffuse from the cells and reduces swelling).

Anyway I wouldn't worry about it- a fun day at the beach is worth a couple of split ends, to me anyway.

GRU
June 23rd, 2010, 06:41 PM
If you don't think that WO will work, you could also CO-wash.

I see no reason to use "shampoo" to wash out the salt.

Misery
June 24th, 2010, 03:15 AM
I take a 2l juice bottle filled with fresh water to the beach with me for the purpose of rinsing my hair afterwards... And if you get really thirsty it works for that also.

=P

Ally<3
June 24th, 2010, 04:54 AM
I have read that shea butter can mimic a sunscreen for the hair. Not sure how but worth a look into!

I always used to wear a hat as much as possible (huge floppy one that acted like an umbrella for my entire body!) and would chuck it off when I wanted to put my head under the water. Rinse well after and condition a lot and you should be okay!

jel
June 24th, 2010, 05:38 AM
I usually apply olive oil or shea butter on dampened hair before going to the beach. In the evening, I CO quickly, which soothes my scalp as well as hair. I do have to shampoo more often on a beach holiday than back home, probably every 2-3 days. Still, that much oil and conditioner actually end up improving the condition of my hair!

goodenough
June 24th, 2010, 02:32 PM
I have the same quandry about the pool. I decided to just enjoy swimming and not worry about it. You only live once. I usually wash afterward, but not always. If my hair loses some color over the summer, I'll just have to deal.

Quixii
June 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I have the same quandry about the pool. I decided to just enjoy swimming and not worry about it. You only live once. I usually wash afterward, but not always. If my hair loses some color over the summer, I'll just have to deal.
I have the same feelings about it. Sure, I'd like for my hair not to be damaged, but I really don't want to worry about my hair for every thing that I do. :shrug: I think my hair still looks good, anyway.

spidermom
June 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
O.k., then; no conditioner. Braid with oil; should be quite protective.

may1em
June 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Last time I swam in the ocean, my hair came out of the updo I'd put it in, and I ended up with my waist-length hair saltier than a pretzel and all tangled up.

So when I got back to where I was staying, I immediately coated it in a lot of conditioner, which I rinsed out when I showered a half hour later. It worked.

embee
June 24th, 2010, 06:50 PM
If I lived at the beach I'd not worry about this at all, I'd just plan to do Water Rinse when I got home. And if it still felt icky I'd condition. Now I would want to put my hair up somehow because it would be *hot* in the sun. And I'd likely wear a big hat against the sun as well. And that should prevent many tangles.

Arniky
June 25th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Hi
Having fun in beach is good, may be you could try with wearing a shower cap
it would lesses the effect of salt water to a ertain extent.

Carolyn
June 25th, 2010, 07:06 AM
When I've been at the beach I'm in the water a lot. I do a heavy oiling and then bun or braid it and usually wear a hat or visor. When I'm back inside, I CO if I have time or I use shampoo and condition heavily. I just got back from being away from home for 2 weeks and I washed my hair every day but 2 days. I wasn't at the beach but I was at a lake for part of it. Salt water shouldn't hurt your hair if you get it rinsed out in a few hours. I would shampoo and condition daily.

tofuowl
June 25th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I've been no-poo for a few months now, and I use sea salt all the time as an alternative wash (I'm trying not to use BS all the time because I henna and I'm paranoid about potential lightening). My hair seems to love a good sea salt scrub!

Are there other things specifically in ocean water that would be damaging to hair? Or is it just the general sea-smell and sea-gunk that's hard to get out of long hair?

ericthegreat
June 25th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I go swimming all the time in the ocean during the summer. I really don't worry about it at all, if anything stressing out about your hair will cause your hair to fall out so I simply don't let myself get stressed out.

Before jumping into the ocean, I apply coconut oil all over my hair and let it soak all the way in. The coconut oil both helps to strengthen my hair and it protects it from the salt water. And I'm a dedicated swimmer, I can spend up to 2 hours straight or more in the water.

You also don't need to use shampoo at all. I only use conditioner to rinse out my hair, and that works wonders for my hair. I have very shiny, silky feeling hair and I attribute that all to COing.

ButterCream
June 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Just wanted to pop in and say that my answer to the OP`s question is:
I have never had any real un with my hair before, until I decided to let it grow, and also to take good care of it:cheese:

Now I can do many things to it, that I couldn`t before, becuse it was shorter.
So to me: More hair = More fun :D

Nae
June 25th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Can you just bun it or tie it up and keep it out of the water as much as possible? I would probably oil it too for any splashes that could occur. I suppose if you are scuba diving or snorkeling or something that would be out of the question but if you are wading or just going in for a quick dip maybe that would help.

Oskimosa
June 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I'm going to chime in and add to those saying oil and tie it up, if you like. I do this when going to the pool. Also, if you wet your hair first, it won't absorb so much. In the ocean, I don't really get my hair in the water too much. I stay at knee deep or less, since I've been pulled under before and have too much respect for the ocean to get in real deep.

Growing your hair out doesn't mean you have to cage yourself off from enjoying life! Unless your hair tangles or breaks from looking at it wrong, just go with it and take some precautions. :cool: