View Full Version : I've just discovered braid waves

julliams
June 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
Yes, yes, I know everyone had been sporting them for years but I've just discovered how to do this in my hair. I had made the error of using a French braid in the past which didn't seem to give me the results I was looking for.

I had my hair about 60% dry and I plaited it in a single low braid and left it for several hours. I got impatient just now and took it out to see how it looked and hey presto, I got the look I was going for. So now I'm just leaving it out to dry and hopefully it will look just as good when I get up in the morning.

It doesn't look fluffy, frizzy or even like it's been in a braid. Just looks like nice subtle waves. Yey! I'm sorry I can't include a photo but I'm in my PJ's and it's also still a bit wet.

freckles
June 23rd, 2010, 04:56 AM
yay :) glad you found a result you like!

Loreley
June 23rd, 2010, 05:18 AM
This is great! :)

Heavenly Locks
June 23rd, 2010, 05:20 AM
Congrats!! :)

I've never been able to get the waves that I like from wearing a braid. Either my roots or my ends are too straight, or to me it just looks like I've obviously taken out a braid. Not so pretty on me. I like bun waves and other twisted types of waves that I can get from at least the middle to the ends.

I hope you share a photo with us!

julliams
June 23rd, 2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks guys. Because I have layers I find that buns make my layers go off in one direction and look a bit weird. When my hair is all one length, I hope to use buns to get those gorgeous waves that I see many other LHCer's get.

MissCoco
June 23rd, 2010, 07:31 AM

Pandora.
June 23rd, 2010, 07:38 AM
That's awesome. :D

I can't do french braids to save my life, so I sometimes do braid waves too. I fail at hairstyles as it is. I always get varied results with braid waves, because some days they'll turn out exactly how I want them but other days they'll flick INWARDS making my hair look about 5 inches shorter...like WTF. I can't always determine how good they'll look either, because sometimes they'll look soft, sometimes they'll look flat and seperated, and other times they'll look frizzy or just KABOOM. :p

I bet the pics look great. ;)

Capybara
June 23rd, 2010, 07:46 AM
That's awesome :D
I find that rope braids make nice braid waves in my hair.

GRU
June 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Have you tried Bandana Waves yet?

http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandana-waves/

Angeletti
June 23rd, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm glad you found what works for you the best. for me only dutch braids do the trick, I used to look like an idiot before them because I would braid my hair into ten small braids and they just never came out looking right... the cats sure liked them though because I'm sure I looked like a life size cat toy with all those braids : )

QueenTifa
June 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Oh wow! I love that bandana braid so much! My hair isn't long enough for it yet but wow!
Anyway, I've tried braid waves, but my hair doesn't kink easily. But I like the waves I got when I left two fishtail braids on overnight, though it looked more like crimped hair.

GRU
June 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
Oh wow! I love that bandana braid so much! My hair isn't long enough for it yet but wow!

I know, right? Makes me wish my hair wasn't already spirally, so I could try it! LOL

Pandora.
June 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
WOW. I must try that dutch braid method! It looks so pretty.

angelthadiva
June 23rd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Have you tried Bandana Waves yet?

http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandana-waves/

I really need to learn how to read. I thought this said banana waves :o

I find English braids give the on wet hair while French give decent waves on wet/dry. When I French braid DD8's hair while wet she rocks awesome braid waves for days :D I do hers thin and tight though. I think tension and spacing make the difference though as previously stated.

Siava
June 23rd, 2010, 01:48 PM
I'm glad you found what works for you the best. for me only dutch braids do the trick, I used to look like an idiot before them because I would braid my hair into ten small braids and they just never came out looking right... the cats sure liked them though because I'm sure I looked like a life size cat toy with all those braids : )

This is what sparked my quest for long hair. My classic length buddy did the tiny braids thing and when she took them out her hair was gorgeous. :heart:

I'm glad you found what works for you, julliams! :)

Das Siechtum
June 23rd, 2010, 03:02 PM
" julliams just got the 'braid waves achievement"

-riding the waves-

:-)

julliams
June 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Yey! Thanks (pins on badge and wears proudly) :wink:

GRU
June 24th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Tee hee hee... I have a mental picture of someone carefully rolling up their tresses around bananas, then walking around with bananas sticking out of their head all day!

Can you imagine the mess on your pillow when you woke up after sleeping on bananas all night? :D

HildeMV
June 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
or maybe banana shaped waves.

braid waves are great!

Hana
June 24th, 2010, 07:57 AM

I find English braids give the on wet hair while French give decent waves on wet/dry. When I French braid DD8's hair while wet she rocks awesome braid waves for days :D I do hers thin and tight though. I think tension and spacing make the difference though as previously stated.

I'm glad you've said this!
To be honest, though, I found with my hair the english braids i can never make them loose enough in the braid, because even with a wide-spaced plait it ends up frizzy and looks like it's been crimped!
Dutch braids have always given me better waves. I should try it on wet hair! (although not totally damp, or my hair will never dry!)

jackiesjottings
June 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Well done :))

I braid mine in two little braids each side, one above the other, and that gives it waves a bit nearer to the hairline.