PDA

View Full Version : Mini braids question.

Aleria
June 23rd, 2010, 12:59 AM
So, every summer I spend about two weeks out on the ocean in a traditional, 30-foot cedar canoe. It's a First Nations tradition here on the west coast of Canada. In the past, it's always caused me to need a serious trim when I get home because salt from the sea, the sun and the daily showers. Also, my hair just annoys me because it causes me to overheat.
This year, I want to try and avoid that. Two years ago I tried double braids+sun hat for most of the journey, last year I did bandannas. Neither worked too well.
So this year, I was thinking of mini braids. Not the little tiny micro braids you get at salons, just tons of rather small braids. Couple of questions though:
Will this damage my hair?
What about shampooing and conditioning while they're in? Whenever I did this before, it was only for a few days, not as long as the journey is. I don't think I want to go that long without washing my hair..

misstwist
June 23rd, 2010, 07:38 AM
I know Dianyla has used mini-braids while traveling, up to a month long, I think. Look at her album and you might pm her if she doesn't stop by this thread.

Capybara
June 23rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
I tried mini braids (had about 20) a few weeks ago, and left them in for a week. I had no damage :) I could have gone for longer, except I got tired of the style :p

I think that scalp-only washes work best with mini braids. That way, it doesn't take ages to dry :D

Aleria
June 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Okay, no damage is good. For scalp-only washing, should it just be with shampoo, or conditioner as well?
I was mainly worried about if it would be hard to rinse out because the braids would hold onto the product.

Ice~Cold~Wind
June 23rd, 2010, 05:11 PM
This makes me think of dreads, though far less damaging!!. It might be good to just was the scalp only and maybe oiling the ends of your braids lightly, especially for protection from salt water. The heat and salt water dry out my hair real bad. :)

spidermom
June 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM
I think I'd just braid it up with conditioner or oil and call it good until the end of the trip. The more you manipulate the braids, the fuzzier and messier they become. I don't know about you, but when I've got lots of hair sticking out of my braids, it knots up, which makes removing the braids a misery!

Anyway, have a wonderful trip.

FlowFlow
June 23rd, 2010, 05:29 PM
I was wondering if soaking the braids in clean water before heading out each time would help. Then rinse the saltwater out when done? I learned from this community to soak my hair with clean water before getting in a swimming pool so that it absorbs the healthy water instead of the chlorinated water. I also learned to oil/ moisturize the ends and some of the length too. Maybe taking "swimmer" precautions would help. Good luck on your trip, it sound wonderful!!

anneisanne
June 23rd, 2010, 05:41 PM
Could you oil the length of your braids, or put leave-in on them? It'd help protect them from the salt.

Aleria
June 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM
I could probably oil in the morning, but rinsing in the morning is doubtful. We don't always have access to showers where we camp, and go elsewhere at night to get clean.
I'll try putting a few braids in and see what happens when I do a scalp wash.

Laylah
June 23rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
As a matter of fact I'm wearing mini braids right now. It takes me about one and half hours to do twenty: I heavily oil each section before dutch braiding it, with coconut oil and shea butter. I do scalp only washes with only water and I usually keep them in for a week. They would stay in longer, but it gets boring to me. It's not damaging at all, and leaves a very interesting texture when you take them out.

Aleria
June 23rd, 2010, 11:04 PM
As a matter of fact I'm wearing mini braids right now. It takes me about one and half hours to do twenty: I heavily oil each section before dutch braiding it, with coconut oil and shea butter. I do scalp only washes with only water and I usually keep them in for a week. They would stay in longer, but it gets boring to me. It's not damaging at all, and leaves a very interesting texture when you take them out.
Wow! I fortunately have my mom's help. She told me that last time I had about 60. My hair is EXTREMELY frizzy when I take them out, I have to wash it right away.
Out of curiousity, what do you fasten yours with? I usually use the little, multicoloured elastics but I'm wondering if that might be a source of damage.

spidermom
June 23rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
Wrap a little section of wet ribbon around the end of your braid, and then put the small elastic around the ribbon. It holds so much better and cannot cut into your hair that way.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/agedbraid.jpg

Laylah
June 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM
spidermom's suggestion sounds very hair friendly! I use little pieces of string that I cut out afterwards.