PDA

View Full Version : question about dutch braids

squiggyflop
June 22nd, 2010, 09:16 PM
JUST ADDED PIC IN LAST POST
i just did my first successful dutch braid.. my arms feel like they are going to fall off because it took a few tries.. well i count it as successful.. even though its slightly off center (my left arm was so tired after all those tries and didnt want to stay up and the braid ended up slightly on the left side)

special thanks to Torrin Paige! without you it could have been a long long long time before i got the nerve to even try.. you are a sweetheart :flowers:

anyway my question is: why does my braid seem much shorter with a dutch braid? its a good 4 inches shorter than my standard english braid.. ive never crossed this bridge before (never even did a real french braid before) so ive got no idea..

no pics because its night time and my house isnt well lit enough for my cell phone cam to pick up anything.. bummer.. i really wanted to document this..

Juneii
June 22nd, 2010, 09:21 PM
well since in the dutch braid the hair is braided higher, the hair is pulled up higher if that makes sense, the hair weaves more so there is less length.

squiggyflop
June 22nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
bummer that means that it wasnt a fluke..

squiggyflop
June 23rd, 2010, 10:25 AM
anyway apparently sleeping on the braid didnt totally ruin it.. although its a bit fuzzy.. here is a PIC
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/firstdutchjune2010.jpg
sorry its so big but im so proud of it! its my very first dutch braid..

spidermom
June 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Nice! But I don't know why this would pull your hair up shorter than an English braid. More folds?

Loreley
June 23rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
It's lovely! :)
I can't do a dutch braid. I managed to do a french braid a few weeks ago but this is more difficult, I think.

Hana
June 23rd, 2010, 11:39 AM
probably because you start higher up the head, therefore pulling the hair up higher.

a straight road is always shorter than a windy one.

edit - by the way, beautiful shiny hair! it looks brilliant for a first attempt. :)