PDA

View Full Version : How do you manage seriously dry hair that gets greasy at the roots?

kristymarie87
June 22nd, 2010, 05:57 AM
I'd love to hear how everyone gets past this and how better than to ask in a poll?

So how do you deal with combination hair? (dry ends/greasy roots)

Barniie
June 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
gah i wish i knew...

halo_tightens
June 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
In my opinion, the best answer is in the washing technique-- I think this one is a hybrid wash? It's what I do myself, anyway...

Coat all of your hair heavily with conditioner, roots to ends. Then, without rinsing out the conditioner, shampoo just the scalp. Then rinse everything out together. Condition the ends again and rinse.

This lets your scalp get really clean with shampoo, but the conditioner protects the dry ends from the drying effects the shampoo can have. The scalp gets super clean, and the ends get plenty of conditioner for moisture.

This works great for me, so much so that I was doing it long before I ever heard of the LHC. I know everyone's hair is different... but it might be worth a shot! :)

This is probably easier for me because I wash upside down. It might be harder to shampoo just the roots without getting it on the ends if you're upright... I don't know. I can't stand washing my hair upright, so I haven't tried it in a very long time! :)

misstwist
June 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Yes, use the washing technique HaloTightens describes. Then, you can take a little bit of your conditioner and put it into your hair from about the ears down as a leave-in conditioner.

You can do the same again everyday until you want to wash again. Or, for the dry hair application, mix some conditioner in a spray bottle with water, try 1/4 conditioner to 3/4 water to start with, and use that as a spray leave-in instead of putting conditioner on your hands and working it in.

If you have oils any of the frizz-busting (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6508) recipes (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) will help and take a look at the thread called Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586). Last, but not least, you could try a deep treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128).

Don't feel like you have to go buy a bunch of ingredients and try every one of these. Try using your conditioner as a leave-in first. Then move on to the things you might have to buy stuff for if that doesn't work as well as you want, or just for fun.

IndigoAsh
June 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM
I slather the ends of my hair in conditioner and then use my california baby 'shampoo' on my roots. The brand isn't drying, but the conditioner gives the ends of my hair some support. The heat down here is atrocious. If I notice the ends need some extra attention I just rub a little bit of coconut oil on the ends.

sibiryachka
June 22nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
I find Kimberlily's Defrizz Spray works wonderfully to moisturize my length without making my scalp oily. I use some almost every day.

Yozhik
June 22nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I scalp wash, and let the suds go down my length, but nothing more. As long as I haven't oiled too heavily, this does the job in cleaning my length as much as it needs to be cleaned. Then I condition from the ears down, leave that in while I wash the rest of me, then rinse. Out of the shower, I let my hair drip dry in a towel turban, then take it out and apply aloe and coconut to the ends.

I hope that helps you! Just keep in mind that your ends aren't near your scalp, so they shouldn't be getting too dirty, so don't feel the need to clean them as thoroughly as your scalp hair :)

Oskimosa
June 22nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
It could be that sulfates are overdrying your scalp and making it overproduce oils. For me, this was the case. I tried many different methods and have settled on using natural liquid soap, which is much less harsh. There is an adjustment period where you will be greasy, but my hair doesn't get as greasy anymore, especially if I wear it up. Now I wash every 2-5 days, depending on what kind of activities I'm doing.

hm85
June 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
mine is like that esp after 3 days so i may try a hybrid wash....im recently new is that what is also meant by a CWC wash? xxx

kristymarie87
June 23rd, 2010, 05:51 AM
I have tried CWC but maybe i need to try a bit longer. I thing i will mix some leave in too and see how that goes!

Im so jealous of all the shiny smooth silky hair...i wonder if mine will ever look like that...

Im trying to get ahold of aloe gel but it says on the tube that its for skin? Is this the right one? I loked in holland and barratts. I was looking to use this to scrunch the hair in hope i can give up heat!

bellawave
June 26th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Scalp wash. I should do the coat-ends-with-conditioner step more often than I actually end up doing. I use mega-thick conditioners by the handful after that, then I sometimes use an oil on top while it's still wet, concentrating it on the bottom half of my hair.

Sometimes it will all feel coated after a while and I have to wash the whole thing, but if I use plenty of oil after that it won't be too dry or frizzy (of course, I'm just coating it again...)

Ice~Cold~Wind
June 27th, 2010, 11:27 AM
This is exactly what my hair is like. :( The back of my head especially becomes greasy very quickly. I have to wash my scalp twice sometimes. Maybe it's due to the shampoo you're using?

Aredhel77
June 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Im trying to get ahold of aloe gel but it says on the tube that its for skin? Is this the right one? I loked in holland and barratts. I was looking to use this to scrunch the hair in hope i can give up heat!

Kristymarie87 Hi! *waves* I'm also in UK. Holland & Barratt's Aloe gel is fine for use on the hair IMO, as it's about 99% natural I believe (I think it just has a little citric acid or vitamin E in it or something for stabilisation). I'd never use any of the Banana Boat-type aloe after-sun gels that other pharmacy-type stores here sell as they're full of alcohol, colour and other additives.

The aloe can safely be applied to damp or dry hair. Whether it will provide much 'hold', I'm not sure, but it will moisturise. I have wavy/wurly hair so do scrunch it into mine., and sometimes again when it's dry. My hair likes it :)

spidermom
June 27th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Just make sure your aloe vera gel is relatively pure and doesn't contain alcohol or lidocaine (or any other kind of 'caine). I buy mine in the skin lotion section of the drug store.

nowxisxforever
June 27th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I stretch my washes, until my scalp gets greasy (3-4 days) I don't wash it, and then I only use shampoo on my scalp, and condition my ends sometimes. Once your hair gets greasy, douse the ends in oil and keep it up in a bun for another day or two before you wash it, that might help!

LilYaYa56
October 12th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have the same problem. I shampoo my hair but then use conditioners on the ends of my hair and only where my hair is dry.

Intransigentia
October 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I'm finding (though it might be too brief a time to be sure) that the less I do drying things to my scalp, the less oil it produces. I've been stretching the time between washes by using a BBB to spread the oil down my hair, and then for cleansing I've gone from CWC to CO. My scalp has never been so happy, and CO seems to agree with the length of my hair as well. It's still pretty dry, so I give it a good dose of coconut oil while it's wet, and then a few more doses between washes.

My hair seems to get greasy from over-enthusiasm with the oil faster than my scalp greases itself up now. I'm hoping that once I learn the art of restraint with the oil (or have enough hair to put that much oil on!), I will have found my perfect hair regimen.

JellyBene
October 22nd, 2010, 05:30 PM
I know this sounds nasty, but stop using shampoo, the results are WAAAAY worth it! the reason hair produces so much oil is because shampoos strip it all out and thus we wash it daily and th ends get dry. Stop using shampoo, but still scrub your hair with water daily. It will be "icky" for a few days to a week or so but after that your hair will learn to regulate itself and it will look and feel beautiful.

tip for the icky days: rub some baby powder in your hair and brush out

Sanyia
October 22nd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Stretch washes, try CWC or CO (or alternate the two). Greasy scalp is caused by shampoo. When you shampoo make sure to dilute the shampoo with water.

Your hair doesn't need to be squeaky clean, because if it feels like that, it means you've overdone it. It will frizz out and feel dry.