PDA

View Full Version : Formal hairstyle help! Please :->

error
June 22nd, 2010, 01:22 AM
This coming Saturday I have to go to a wedding party! (yay) Lol but my huge dilemma is my hair, I have a beautiful dress to wear and shoes ,a little shawl ,some jewelry , I am great at makeup ,but the hair :-<. Most of you on here are so amazingly talented so if anyone has tips on styles for tail bone length stick straight hair with a taper I would highly appreciate it! It does not have to be an up do it can be anything I honestly know zero about hair styling , most of my getting ready time will probably go to hair styling! Lol but if anyone knows of some cool tutorials anywhere online I would highly appreciate them! Thanks lovelies . ;)

countryhopper
June 22nd, 2010, 01:28 AM
Do you want to wear your hair down, half up, or all up? Does it hold a curl? Do you want to try to curl it or leave it straight? Do you have any accessorries (flowers, pins, hairsticks, pearls, etc) that you'd like to include? What does your dress llook like?

In the meantime, I'd go to the hairstyling section in the articles and start playing with some styles. Practice WAY before the actual event so you can see how long your hair will hold a style.

There is an AWESOME style expalined there that is basically a high ponytail that is loosely braided and each bump is gently pulled out a little to make it look huge and gorgeously puffy. the end of the braid is tucked under and pinned. It looks very easy to do, but very impressive. It coulld easily be dressed up. It needs long hair to be able to pull it off, so it should be perfect with tailbone length hair.

error
June 22nd, 2010, 01:45 AM
Do you want to wear your hair down, half up, or all up? Does it hold a curl? Do you want to try to curl it or leave it straight? Do you have any accessorries (flowers, pins, hairsticks, pearls, etc) that you'd like to include? What does your dress llook like?

In the meantime, I'd go to the hairstyling section in the articles and start playing with some styles. Practice WAY before the actual event so you can see how long your hair will hold a style.

There is an AWESOME style expalined there that is basically a high ponytail that is loosely braided and each bump is gently pulled out a little to make it look huge and gorgeously puffy. the end of the braid is tucked under and pinned. It looks very easy to do, but very impressive. It coulld easily be dressed up. It needs long hair to be able to pull it off, so it should be perfect with tailbone length hair.
Thanks doll ! Hmm that sounds kinda cool ill look into it I can braid! whoo hoo!
Here is a photo of my dress http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g309/deathORdie/l_fa8b880a18ec4bfaa80c4b2fea1baca9.jpg sorry its bad lighting and a strange angle but you can see what kinda dress it is .I have tons of hair sticks mostly metal and plastic , my wooden ones are all chewed up looking. I have hair flower ornaments , barrettes real fancy barrettes ,super long bobby pins , when i curl up my hair they tend to fall out unless I put a spray gell in it (I try and stay away from items like that now)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 22nd, 2010, 02:51 AM
You can search Torrin Page's hair how-to videos on youtube. So many updos to choose from and simple instructions :)

Pandora.
June 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM
I really like the look of this style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OlAxiPIK0

You could also try adding some elegant hair accessories, maybe some jewelled hairsticks or some pretty flower pins? Whatever you choose I'm sure it will look lovely. :)

jasper
June 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=93

This link is the awesome braid countryhopper was talking about. It is an article by Elainehali.

jane53
June 22nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Torrin has a great part-up part-down do for formal wear.

http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/8/Aw2FHEqjNqo

countryhopper
June 22nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
Thanks for posting the link, jasper!

Error, if you need some help deciding on a style, why not try a few and post the pics? We'd be more than happy to help you choose! (How's that for my plan to see more udo pics??:D)

GRU
June 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=93

This link is the awesome braid countryhopper was talking about. It is an article by Elainehali.

This could be further dressed up by sticking in jeweled hairpins, etc. Lots of playing potential there!

misstwist
June 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
TorrinPaige has an older fancy updo tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/67/1vW03394oqE) that I like lots. Even if you don't use it there is a good discussion about how to go about designing and constructing a formal do. Be sure to also watch part two.

That dress is simply va-va-va-voom! I'm sure you will be a knockout.

spidermom
June 22nd, 2010, 09:42 AM
I really like the look of this style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OlAxiPIK0

You could also try adding some elegant hair accessories, maybe some jewelled hairsticks or some pretty flower pins? Whatever you choose I'm sure it will look lovely. :)

Oh wow; nice style. I'll have to try this one.

error
June 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM
Thank all of you so much! I am going to look through all of this stuff and weed it down to my top favorites and have you guys help me decide that is a great idea! One less thing to worry about this week :-> I can not thank anyone enough for the help! I may be getting in contact with some of you before saturday c: . Thanks everyone!

Yozhik
June 22nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
I think with that dress (which is gorgeous, by the way), since it's a strapless, it would be very nice to showcase your hair in a half-up of some type. Definitely use those fancy pins you have :)

I recently went to a wedding and wore my hair in a French braid half-up with the loose hair rolled into a bun -- if you want to see, check out my photo album.

Have fun with whatever you decide to do, and enjoy the wedding! :flower:

error
June 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM
Oh wow pandora that tutorial was awesome! Also I wanted to say torrin is so cute and fun and makes such beautiful hair styles! I am so excited i cant wait to play!

error
June 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hahahaha omg I had just tried torrins super fancy up do and boy am I embarrassed! I created the ultimate headache giving bobby pin nest , and it is so embarrassing I am not even taking a photo of this! Yikes! I think im getting the hang of doodling around with my hair though I will probably take some pics on hair styles I try out and hopefully I can find something that works the best!

DakarNick
June 22nd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Ha, I am not lovely.

error
June 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Ha, I am not lovely.
Well why not! I consider anyone who would help out a lovely person! so I win!

Amraann
June 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
I like the style in the pic showing your dress.

But I prefer lose flowing natural hair styles.

error
June 22nd, 2010, 07:05 PM
I like the style in the pic showing your dress.

But I prefer lose flowing natural hair styles.
You know thats what I like too , and I am very used to having , my hair down . I keep pinning it up different ways but It dont look pretty on me it just looks like im about to do the laundry or the gardening . I keep looking at tutorials with women that have these beautiful billowing golden tresses too and I have to say intricate up dos show up way better on multi tone blonde hair . I will probably be in a dark room too so I feel like im just going to look like a goofball with my hair all done up . I think im going to look into half ups like some of the members here reccomended . Wow im out of shape my arms are so tired , stupid little noodle arms! :D

Amraann
June 22nd, 2010, 07:32 PM
You know thats what I like too , and I am very used to having , my hair down . I keep pinning it up different ways but It dont look pretty on me it just looks like im about to do the laundry or the gardening . I keep looking at tutorials with women that have these beautiful billowing golden tresses too and I have to say intricate up dos show up way better on multi tone blonde hair . I will probably be in a dark room too so I feel like im just going to look like a goofball with my hair all done up . I think im going to look into half ups like some of the members here reccomended . Wow im out of shape my arms are so tired , stupid little noodle arms! :D

LOLOL!!!
I think most of us feel pretty with what we are comfortable with.
Do not stress about it. After all the eyes are suppose to be on the bride. LOLOL

Unless she has some preference about hair do's? (I missed if your in the wedding party or just going to one?)

I prefer hair down but have been known to put it up at times... Truth be told when I put it up half way through the party I want it down.
So evaluate if you feel like that too.
Even at home just bumming around with it in a pony tale I put it up and then down throughout the day.

Do let us know what you do!
Happy Partying!

error
June 22nd, 2010, 07:48 PM
LOLOL!!!
I think most of us feel pretty with what we are comfortable with.
Do not stress about it. After all the eyes are suppose to be on the bride. LOLOL

Unless she has some preference about hair do's? (I missed if your in the wedding party or just going to one?)

I prefer hair down but have been known to put it up at times... Truth be told when I put it up half way through the party I want it down.
So evaluate if you feel like that too.
Even at home just bumming around with it in a pony tale I put it up and then down throughout the day.

Do let us know what you do!
Happy Partying!
Hahaha typicallyI don't generally mind how I look at any occasion its my fiance who is givin me all the guff! It is his best friend getting married and I feel awful saying this because they are truly nice people but they have a LOT of money and are a bit snobby . So is my fiance to an extent tho as far as snob-ness goes , and i'm like a little monster I wear his jeans or army jeans every day , a big stained t- shirt , and I tattoo for a living , then go home to a bunch of dogs , so I never get all flowery and dazzling LOL . I just eat beef jerky and throw a foot ball to the kids (dogs) Hahaha! Yeah tho kris has been on my case about how im going to look how im going to do my hair , I can draw and paint so im real good with makeup , guess it all comes down to me wanting to make the boy proud :-> *cough jerk* Lol

error
June 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
Hello lovelies! I just wanted to update everyone on the hair style I chose , I kept pinning my hair up all different ways and just looked like a major dork, lol so i decided to do rag curls ! I also dressed it up with a beautiful hand made flower hair toy a friend had made for me so it was nice I felt very comfortable , my back scar was well hidden and , I felt confident! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5652&pictureid=75544 here is a picture! Thank you everyone for your help otherwise I would have never ever learned rag curls! MUAH!:love:

countryhopper
June 29th, 2010, 12:22 AM
So beautiful, error! You look the complete opposite of a football throwing tattoo artist! Your fiance looks happy, too!

KahlanAmnell
June 29th, 2010, 02:43 PM
You and your hair looked lovely. I wouldn't have known you don't dress up a ton if you hadn't have mentioned it. Such a cute couple. :-)

error
June 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Aww you guys are the sweetest! Thank you so much! haha my fiance was so shocked! I felt like a million bucks!

teela1978
June 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM

I am in awe at that girls ability to make pin curls. Mine never go that fast or turn out that nice.