PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric (and cute) updos?

Charlotte:)
June 21st, 2010, 11:16 PM
I am very temped to chop off a bunch of my hair in layers like this, because I am very bored with my hair:
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii279/hkqueen-5/scene%20girls/scene--large-msg-120629993772.jpg

Only I have worked so hard to grow out my layers, and I know I would regret cutting off so much of my "security hair". Does anybody know of any updos I could do with my hair that are just as unconventional and cute (but not so much that I will stop traffic)? It would also be nice if they were relatively easy since I am a bit unskilled in the hair styling department.

error
June 21st, 2010, 11:30 PM
No! No! No! Don't do it! I wish someone told me this when i was fifteen omg i went to a trade school for commercial art , it had things like auto mechanics ,electircal ,cosmetology , cooking , and well whenever I got bored and did not feel like messing with the computers i would walk over to the cosmetology room to see what was up .My hair was massacred first it was bleached white and then layers were hacked into it literally hacked with a razor blade. That is how this look is achieved , and this is before this haircut was even cool , so awful I totally hated it . the top was so poofy and you had to put like beezwax in it or mousse , and the ends were so thin and would get tangly it was just awful please don't! Trust me! Oh and i am no where near hair skilled lol but if you take a look through some of the profiles on here there are very talented people who have no problem showing and explaining different styles , braid variations , bun variations with hair toys and hair sticks etc. Also look up different hair tutorials on youtube (i <3 youtube)

HintOfMint
June 21st, 2010, 11:40 PM
There are rockabilly, pin-up girl, and retro hairstyles which are pretty unconventional. Perhaps not modern, but unusual at least. Some members have also done a sort of braided mohawk. Another unusual style is a topknot or ballet bun done on the top of the head. It really shows off your face and bone structure, so it is a perfect canvas for some striking makeup.

Whatever you decide to do, wear what suits you. Individuality and its celebration is what makes eccentricity so charming.

C_Bookworm
June 22nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
I lik the double bun look. Its pretty cutesy and I don't see it much.

missmagoo
June 22nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
I've had hairstyles like that pretty much for the past five years. Fun, but such a pain when you want to do anything with your hair other than style it down.

I'm a big fan of the low, messy side bun- sometimes I use hair pins, or a ficcare, or hair sticks. I really like the way this looks when I use my Baerreis Finny fork in a messy bun. I usually do the bun more towards my rights side, so sometimes I'll do a lace braid around the left side of my head to meet up with the bun.

When I get bored I'll also experiment with pinning back different sections of my hair- sometimes I'll do a deep side part and bobby pin just above my ear, sometimes I do more of a half up.

When I get really desperate, I just put my hair in a ponytail with the front in a deep side part, and pull the top a bit to make it messier and add some volume.

Another option would be to cut back some layers around your face so that when you pull your hair back you have more bits to work with around your face to funk it up a bit.

I am finally getting to a place where my layers aren't so extreme (my hair it quite a bit longer now than in my sig pic) and it is soooo nice. I do like my front layers though for variety.

UltraBella
June 22nd, 2010, 12:09 AM
I think the hair in the link you posted is AWESOME ! The down side is, it requires a commitment. It's not a quick grow-out kind of cut, so you are stuck with it for a while. But it's funky and fun ;)

eschmi1
June 22nd, 2010, 12:18 AM
I like the layered look but as others have said it will require continuous maintenance. It might be fun, though ;)

Pandora.
June 22nd, 2010, 02:20 AM
I remember when I wanted hair like that a few years back. The thing is, when I went to the hairdressers and asked for it to be like that, it couldn't be achieved since my hair was as thick as anything. I agree with what someone else said about being stuck with it for a while, so if you really want that cut I suggest you should give it some more thought. One of my friends longed for this hairstyle, so she went from a thick unlayered cut to an extremely wispy and fragile looking scene cut - the alteration was very drastic. On top of that wispy haircut, she even bleached it a few times, and dyed it several more times. Gah.

As for cute updos, you could do a high ponytail (perhaps with bangs and face framing layers) and maybe about 2 mini braids in the pony, if that makes sense. If you want a cool look, if I were you I would add in some cool hair accessories such as bows, hair clips, flowers, or whatever else depending on your style. I do this a lot, and your hair doesn't have to be exceedingly thick or long or anything (although my hair is waist length and ii). Good luck with whatever you else you decide to try. :)

Gnomentum
June 22nd, 2010, 04:03 AM
My immediate thought was manga buns with the length still down.. if that's not unusual enough, if your hair is thick enough to make it work you could try three buns on top rather than the two you normally associate with manga buns. Sort of a kooky take on the half-up!

jasper
June 22nd, 2010, 06:33 AM
peacock twist? seams really easy and would be more or less unconventional depending what kind of hair toy you use to secure it and what you do with the ends.

accent braids could make things more interesting.

and I agree with people above suggesting multiples - double or triple of any easy bun or knot you know.

some of these look fun, not necessarily easy, but maybe good for ideas http://www.beauty-and-the-bath.com/Updo-Hair-Styles-Gallery-7.html

Chamomile betty
June 22nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
I would suggest using funky pins and clips for updos. You could twist some of your length and pin/clip it on top. You could have fun investing in some neat hair accessories.

Tiina
June 22nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Once upon a time, I made my friend (who has about waistlenght hair) a mohawk out of a dutch braid and pincurls. It may be hard to imagine so here is a drawing

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/kimbublog/IMG_0152.jpg

Basically you dutch braid your hair from as near to your hairline in the front as possible (leave some hair hanging from the sides if you want to) to the nape of your neck. There you secure it with an elastic or clips or barrette or whatever you like. Next, take a small section of your hair from the back and bring it up, along the braid(attach it with a bobby pin every now and then) to the front, loop it as you would with any pincurl and pin it down so it stands vertically up. Then bring another small section of your hair up (securing it along the way with the same bobby pins as the previous one) and pincurl it up as well. Continue to do so until you run out of hair to pin. Then go out and let people think you are the crazy. :)

You can do a lot of different hairdos if you know how to make lace braids, pincurls and buns. You can combine them or vary the style by doing them in different places or in different sizes. You can also leave some of your hair hanging down or loop it and pin the ends near your head again to fake short hair. The possibilities are practically endless with longer hair, all you need is your imagination.

I also support the idea of getting more interesting hairtoys, they really can make something simple appear special. :)

(* Sorry for the crappy picture. I only had a pen, a camera and a small piece of cardboard from a chocolate bar.)

skay
June 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
How about these?

They could provide some inspiration or perhaps you can do modified versions of these:

Poster of Bunch of Anime hairstyles

(http://</p><p><a href="http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/i/2007/281/4/3/hairstyles___2nd_edition__by_NeonGenesisEVARei.jpg" target="_blank">http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/i/2007/281/4/3/hairstyles___2nd_edition__by_NeonGenesisEVARei.jpg</a></p><p>)

Link: Fun and cute anime hairstyles (http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs20/i/2007/281/4/3/hairstyles___2nd_edition__by_NeonGenesisEVARei.jpg )

Anje
June 22nd, 2010, 09:06 PM
I know someone around here has posted pics of a braided mohawk before, but I can't find them. It's essentially what it sounds like: gather a section of hair to the top middle of your head, braid it and move it aside. Then gather the section below that, braid it and move it aside. Repeat until you have 5+ braids along the centerline of your head. Very funky, even if you don't then attempt to make them stick up.

BlueMuse
June 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM
I do double sock buns where I braid the extra length and pin it around the bun. I then decorate it with sticks, kanzashi or little twist in flowers. I also recently did a double bun further back on my head and secured each bun with two short sticks and decorated the buns with some of my kanzashi bobby pins. It's unique and people generally seem to think it's adorable, even my mom's 70+ year old friends, so it must not be too out there.

julliams
June 22nd, 2010, 09:53 PM
That Scene Style is so cool and if I weren't 37 I think I'd be into it as well. I have watched many Scene hair tutorials on youtube and one thing that interested me is the amount of back combing which goes on. With the possible bleaching/colouring, back combing and straightening that seems to be required to get your hair like this, I think you have to be prepared to just wear it as somewhat damaged hair and be thinking that it might all have to come off if you want to wear it long and soft again.

As we know, hair grows back, so if you are going to regret NOT going down this road, why not? Let us know what you decide.

Katze
June 23rd, 2010, 05:53 AM
Well, I *am* 37 and I really like these kind of updos. It is impossible to get my hair to lie smooth or flat, so I do a crisscross - pull the length from one side over the top of my head, just behind my bangs, then pin it into place, do the same 1-5 more times, then take the length, gather and wad it up, and clip it into place with a Ficcare. Sometimes I add fake hair, flowers, or feathers. Some pics of my fake hair and dread falls are in my album.

As i get older I am reclaiming my goth/punk /hippie roots and recombining things I used to like in a way that fits with current fashion (headpieces are very in!) so that I feel I am expressing something about *me* and not any external idea of how I am supposed to look.

Buns look terrible on me and emphasize things I do not want to emphasize. Doing my own messy updos (I honestly copied part of the instructions on how to do Amy Winehouse hair, but it looks NOTHING like hers since I am plump and have a very different facial structure, and am unwilling to tease or rat my hair) really makes me feel good, eccentric but also like they suit me.

Play around and see what works for you!

Svenja
June 23rd, 2010, 05:58 AM
I don't like the style, every third girl runs around with it here where I live. It seems to be quite common in the Emo scene these days (what do I know?!^^). When I saw it for the first time I thought it's kinda cute but now I am bored of it. Sorry!!

Heavenly Locks
June 23rd, 2010, 05:58 AM
Check out this french braided mohawk -

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45980

julliams
June 23rd, 2010, 06:36 AM
Well, I *am* 37 and I really like these kind of updos.

So sorry (getting my foot out of my mouth) of course there is no age limit. Hope I didn't offend :o

I just meant that it isn't for me at my age. I don't see it as a problem for anyone else at any age. Just not for me now personally but I love the style and kind of wish it had been around when I was experimenting with my look in my late teens and early 20's. I wasn't making a comment about an age limit for the style in general.

Pandora.
June 23rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
With the possible bleaching/colouring, back combing and straightening that seems to be required to get your hair like this, I think you have to be prepared to just wear it as somewhat damaged hair and be thinking that it might all have to come off if you want to wear it long and soft again.

Very true! I don't think I've ever come across a scene girl who doesn't have damaged hair (excluding photoshopped images). I still think their hair looks cool though. :)

To anyone that wants scene hair, if you're prepared to live with a bit of damage then go for it, because it's always fun to try out newer and more outrageous things. xD

Capybara
June 23rd, 2010, 08:09 AM
My immediate thought was manga buns with the length still down.. if that's not unusual enough, if your hair is thick enough to make it work you could try three buns on top rather than the two you normally associate with manga buns. Sort of a kooky take on the half-up!

This is what I did for my graduation ... XD Three rose buns, with the length hanging down and curled to the side.

ETA: Picture: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5323&pictureid=75048

kabelaced
June 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Hair pic is cool looking, but it's also really trendy so it wouldn't have much staying power. You'd be a slave to products trying to tame that messy look into looking...well, "messy-chic" enough!

On a lighter note, as for eccentric updos, I just couldn't resist - if you had enough hair and time to kill, this style (http://img2.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/1698445f84cbfb8685c152289be312151264822609_full.jp g), this style (http://img3.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/70a5c4bc0d651cfe26ce6a36ec3348531264822570_full.jp g) and this style (http://img3.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/1591cabe10c01f0fe13b0c093b7cb4261264822553_full.jp g)will certainly turn heads...and it's cute because of the little squirrel! Haha. :D

Charlotte:)
July 5th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I have decided that this hairstyle isn't eccentric enough for me after all, because too many other people have it. Instead I put my hair in snake waves once a week, and then when my scalp starts to get greasy I rub the baking powder onto it with my head upside down (and I only detangle it with a wide tooth comb). This makes it really full of body and kind of wild looking (think Helena Bonham Carter, only blonde). Really, I think long hair itself is kind of eccentric these days :) Thank you for all your opinions; they really helped a lot!

tinti
July 5th, 2010, 03:09 AM
When I'm sick of my layers I put them in a half up topsy tail and tug a bit on the crown to get some volume :)

Sammich
July 5th, 2010, 03:33 AM
No! No! No! Don't do it! I wish someone told me this when i was fifteen omg i went to a trade school for commercial art , it had things like auto mechanics ,electircal ,cosmetology , cooking , and well whenever I got bored and did not feel like messing with the computers i would walk over to the cosmetology room to see what was up .My hair was massacred first it was bleached white and then layers were hacked into it literally hacked with a razor blade. That is how this look is achieved , and this is before this haircut was even cool , so awful I totally hated it . the top was so poofy and you had to put like beezwax in it or mousse , and the ends were so thin and would get tangly it was just awful please don't! Trust me! Oh and i am no where near hair skilled lol but if you take a look through some of the profiles on here there are very talented people who have no problem showing and explaining different styles , braid variations , bun variations with hair toys and hair sticks etc. Also look up different hair tutorials on youtube (i <3 youtube)

I agree, I've cut the scene look, *Points at albums*, you can check out how extreme it was. ;) But now, I'm getting happier because my length isn't as tangly anymore. For some reason thinner ends tangle more, it's strange. :p
I've always loved the scene look, and I was so happy and excited when I got it! :) It looks fantastic, even without teasing and stuff(I never did)if your hair is thick. :) Apparently you have to straighten to look 'scene' but I didn't. *Shrug* It was fun in the long run, and I don't really super regret it because I had fun with it, but if you don't want to live with super thinned out ends for a year + ... don't do it. :p I'm still paying for that. ;)

zombi
July 5th, 2010, 04:09 AM
I had various takes on "scene hair" for years. It's hard to grow out from. From my experience it's also, as others have said, pretty damaging and I was never able to go without flat ironing, putting wax or powder in, etc -- I couldn't just wash my hair and let it air dry. I had to FIX it. At the time though I really liked my hair, so.

But if you like it, and if you think you will be okay with its various stages as you grow it back out once you decide not to keep it, go for it.