PDA

View Full Version : a little help please

McFearless
June 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM
Okay.. so I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but I've gone on a crash diet. I know this is unhealthy but it works and I'm sort of weak when it comes to staying motviated. Anyways.. I was wondering what one week of a liquid diet would do to ones hair? Besides these 7 days I eat a wide range diet with lots of protein. During this week I still take my vitamins. I've been working so hard on my growth and routines for so many months and I dont want to see that go to waste.

Thank you all very much.

sarah061
June 21st, 2010, 10:12 PM
I'm by no means an expert, but if you are only doing the liquid diet for a week I don't think that would really affect your hair at all. Especially if you're still taking vitamins. Now, if you were going to do that for several weeks or say a month, then I imagine you might see some extra hair loss. A week shouldn't really hurt though, in my opinion....

McFearless
June 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
Phew okay thank you Sarah. Im way too paranoid for my own good:o

C_Bookworm
June 22nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
I agree. I've never done a crash diet before, but there have been times I've gotten stomach flu for a week, and I don't remember it affecting the condition of my hair. I hope you have success with it!

sarah061
June 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Phew okay thank you Sarah. Im way too paranoid for my own good:o

Nah, it's definitely better to do lots of research than to be sorry later :)
(And tell me how that diet goes btw - I never do well with long-term commitments, especially ones that restrict my chocolate intake!)

cm006j
June 22nd, 2010, 10:41 AM
What liquid are you drinking? When I've done these kind of diets before, I've been drinking protein shakes, so that always made me feel like my hair must be fine.

I also know that when I was doing an up day/down day diet, liquid every other day, I lost weight very rapidly and my hair was the longest and healthiest it has ever been. That might be coincidence, but I don't think it will hurt your hair!

Gypsygirl
June 22nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
I'm by no means an expert, but if you are only doing the liquid diet for a week I don't think that would really affect your hair at all.

That! Be careful, though, OK? :flower:

Purdy Bear
June 22nd, 2010, 11:14 AM
Be very careful doing crash diets, it can cause extreme hair loss, and is listed as a cause for the beginning of Alopecia.

If you want to do a liquid diet, atleast use the ones designed for it, so they contain all the nutrients you will need.

Themyst
June 22nd, 2010, 11:19 AM
Maybe I'm bad, but I'm a supporter of crash diets. Drink a lot of protein shakes and I think you'll be fine.

ETA: I've had plenty of success with them and didn't lose any hair.

zenobia
June 22nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Crash dieting is a bad idea. There's a good chance that you could mess up your metabolism, and your body will go into starvation mode. When you do resume normal eating, you are likely to gain weight because your body conserves as many calories as possible, thinking it's starving. I really wouldn't do it. :shake:

If you want to loose weight and eat healthier, can I recommend the website Livestrong.com (http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/)? There is a section called MyPlate where you can track what you eat each day and set your calorie goal to something healthy (usually around 1500-1800 calories is a good amount for losing weight at a healthy rate).

I'm sorry if that sounds preachy--it's not my intent at all. I just hate to see someone make themselves miserable with an unhealthy diet. My husband and I have both had a lot of success with Livestrong and it's not hard at all! I just set the website to be my home page on my browser and enter in my food when I get on the computer.

I have also read that crash dieting can lead to hair loss. I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist so I can't say whether it's true, but I have read it in several places. Good luck!

spidermom
June 22nd, 2010, 11:40 AM
My DD and I did the lemonade diet for 10 days a few years ago. No bad hair effects that I can remember. However, we are now doing the South Beach diet, and DD lost more weight in the first 10 days on that than she did on the lemonade fast. I lost less, but I feel better.

Deborah
June 22nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
I did lots of crash diets when younger, and the eventual net result was ALWAYS that I ended up heavier than before. I really don't recommend them.

HOWEVER, those crash diets did absolutely nothing to my hair, so I don't think your hair will likely suffer at all.

Okay.. so I'm a bit embarassed to admit this, but I've gone on a crash diet. I know this is unhealthy but it works and I'm sort of weak when it comes to staying motviated. Anyways.. I was wondering what one week of a liquid diet would do to ones hair? Besides these 7 days I eat a wide range diet with lots of protein. During this week I still take my vitamins. I've been working so hard on my growth and routines for so many months and I dont want to see that go to waste.

Thank you all very much.

christine1989
June 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
I don't see any problem with crash dieting as long as it isn't long term and you DO improve your regular diet to maintain your weight when you come off of it. Liquid diets will produce fast results and as long as you are drinking liquids with good quality nutrients and plenty of protein your hair should be fine.

dropinthebucket
June 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Have you seen The Warrior Diet? it's not really a diet per se, but a change in eating habits, for life (or as long as you do it). It's very controversial, and I'm not all that sold on Ori's big claims about warrior culture (i don't think he's a very accurate historian, for one thing) but a lot of people have had a lot of success with it, and I have to say, I am having great success with it so far too. Your hair will not suffer as far as I can tell, the weight comes off and stays off, and the mental clarity benefits have been true for me so far as well (will have to wait to see about that anti-aging thing!) If you are willing to experiment with crash diets, Ori's program may be just the ticket and better than a crash diet. I've just been following the diet plan advice - have not bought any products, and do not do the suggested exercise program - i was in a car accident a few years ago, and my joints will not allow me to do that kind of sustained exercise! i need something simple, like walking! anyway, check it out, see what you think! it will come up if you google it.

09robiha
June 26th, 2010, 04:39 AM
I juse wanted to give you a warning from someone who had to cut their waist length hair to chin because so much of it fell out...all thanks to what started as a crash diet and ended in 3 years of misery. Bye Bye blonde curls :(
Diet can have HUGE effects on hair and nails, and though you may not see it at first it can show up months afterwards. Please, Please, Please be very careful.