PDA

View Full Version : Seasons changing

Bucatini
May 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
My hair is not looking or feeling good with the change in seasons from cold dry winter to spring. Compared to a month ago, it is dry, frizzing, and tangling way more. It's also more flat on top and way less shiny. My waves/wurlies have lacked definition since it started to warm up. It does not feel smooth or soft either, it feels "crimped" and almost coarse.

I haven't changed anything about my routine. I S&C with Nature's Gate fruit organics. If I'm going to wear it down, I plop using a clear gel with a few drops of jojoba added. If I'm going to wear it up, I use a little coconut oil loosened up with jojoba. In the dead of winter I was heavy oiling more often, but now it makes me break out. I also like Shea mixed w/ coconut and/or jojoba or just by itself.

Can anybody recommend a treatment I should try, other than SMT- my hair isn't a fan of that (it gets flat and there are always chunks that take several washes to release). Would I want to try more protein? I never consciously clarify, though once in a while I'll shower somewhere other than home and have to use a harsher sulfate poo. Should I try to clarify? How do you do that?

Is anyone else having a tough time with the change in seasons? My apologies for the rant and venting. And thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Isilme
May 13th, 2008, 12:07 AM
yup, my hair has decided it doesn't like my conditioner anymore:( Try to clarify, you can also try protein but remember that a protein treatment always should be combined with a moisture treatment. I don't know, hair seems to act up with changes in the weather, do some experiments and see if you find somnething new your hair likes.

daydreamer
May 13th, 2008, 12:24 AM
My hair does weird things at season changes too so I've been experiencing the same as you lately... last night I clarified with V05 kiwi & lime shampoo and discovered my hair does not like the conditioner I was using which had protein in it -- so I didn't use any conditioner and instead put shea butter on the length afterwards. Today my hair is much happier and amazingly springy! Maybe it just needs to be clarified?

Curlsgirl
May 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM
My hair acts up EVERY spring and fall :mad: and I have to modify and change things up until I find what it wants. It's not unusual. The very first thing I would try is a clarifying to make sure it is not buildup. Where does oil make you break out? On your face or scalp? If so you can keep it away from those areas. In fact I never put oil on my scalp or close to my face as those parts tend to be greasier anyway. I apply from the ears down and usually leave it off the sections right next to my face as it tends to make it stringy.

Treecrown
May 13th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. My hair is acting just the way Bucatini described. All last fall and winter, the CWC, with a bit of end-oiling, misting, and keeping my hair up more, was working wonders. My hair felt so soft and nice all the time. But now it's frizzy, dry, tangly, and generally impossible :-( even though I'm doing exactly the same things. ???

spidermom
May 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
At least you have some context. My hair weirds out from time to time for no apparent reason that I can identify. Usually a clarifying wash will put it right, and if not, then a moisture treatment. My hair doesn't mind products with protein in them, but the protein mask I tried made it just plain awful, so no more of that.

Good luck sorting this out. Sometimes hair is a pain!

Islandgrrl
May 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Maybe try clarifying with a light baking soda treatment? I did that just recently after my hair started behaving badly and it really helped make everything play nicer. I don't use cones and my hair doesn't much like heavy protein treatments, but every once in a while I do clarify and it seems to make a difference. Like it sort of kick starts my hair into being nice hair instead of evil hair.

I know what you mean, though, I have definitely noticed changes in my hair as the season has gotten (slightly) warmer. Wintertime is really, really rough on my hair.