PDA

View Full Version : Supermodel hair...

goldenbrunette
June 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
This may sound like a stupid question..

how is it that many models have such long, gorgeous hair? I don't mean actual hair models, I mean the ones with agencies such as select, models1..etc. Most of them have perfect hair!
Does anyone know of any tips or hair secrets?
:)

Chamy
June 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
One word: Extentions

Tiina
June 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
If you coat the hair shaft with so many products that it feels like a wig and then heat-style it to place then it can look perfect. It doesn't mean that it is.

Pandora.
June 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM
With the amount of heat styling, hair coloring, bleaching and everything else celebrities and models go through, I highly doubt they're going to naturally have hair like Rapunzel. That's why they resort to glossy hair extensions.

Centifolia
June 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM
That and genetics, I guess.

Rapunzal2Be
June 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Just another vote for hair extensions. They all wear them. No joke.

Beatrice
June 21st, 2010, 12:05 PM
Like the previous posters, I suspect a lot of it has to do with styling, lighting, and sometimes color and extensions (plus digital touchups). Even when I was heat styling every day, my hair looked great in photographs. With heat-styled curls and silicone serum, you couldn't see that my hair was rough and dried out.

I'm not familiar with the agencies you mentioned, but I don't know that they have any knowledge that's lacking here at LHC. If anything, I hear a lot about how models and actresses really have hair in bad shape, but the damage is hidden by styling and extensions, or it just doesn't show up on camera.

Not to be a killjoy or anything! That's just my :twocents:

Yozhik
June 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM
Definitely extensions. (Chamy -- cute bunny!)

I've also heard that drinking a lot of water and getting a lot of sleep has something to do with it.

myotislucifugus
June 21st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Photoshop...like everything else...

JenniferNoel
June 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM
Wigs, extensions, heat, product, and photoshop. Models are pretty fake, don't believe what ya see.

jane53
June 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Extensions.

eschmi1
June 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM
Definitely hair extensions and some good ol' Photoshop helps.

Pandora.
June 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
For instance, take Leighton Meester (I know she's not a model, but she's a very pretty actress). She has mentioned in interviews that she's dyed her hair almost every color under the sun. I've seen pictures of her blonde hair which looked very thin, and then others pictures not long after of her brown hair with ten times more volume, thickness and length.

On the other hand, while here at LHC, it's the real deal. ;)

Oskimosa
June 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
Yes, I agree that it's mainly extensions and photoshop. Their hair undergoes a ton of abuse. Teasing, heat styling, constant product use. Normal hair will melt and fall out under that kind of pressure. So they get new hair every few weeks!

Loreley
June 21st, 2010, 01:11 PM
I'm sure many of them have extensions.

Angeletti
June 21st, 2010, 01:44 PM
I agree with all those that say extensions

Capybara
June 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Extensions, definitely.

Not only models, but actresses and actors.

GuinevereMay
June 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM
My mom hosted an event that Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey (or whoever her husband was) performed at. I remember reading in People about how gorgeous her hair supposedly was. Mom and my sister told me that her hair was on par with cotton candy.

jera
June 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM
Brazilian Keratin infusion and lots of cones. ;)

KittyLost
June 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
I'm gonna go with hair extensions.
Paris Hilton's real hair is only a bob, and Katie Price's real hair is only just long enough to attach hair extensions too.
I think celebrities find it easier to use hair extensions because everything their hair goes through it makes sense just to keep it short and fake it rather than have long damaged hair.

Buddaphlyy
June 21st, 2010, 03:09 PM
EVERYONE WITH LONG WHO IS NOT A MEMBER OF TLHC DOES NOT HAVE EXTENSIONS!!!!!!!

Are extensions used in the model/fashion industry? Absolutely.
Are they used on each and every model all the time? Certainly not

Unless the model has super short hair and a show calls for extra long lengths, the hairstylist will probably work with what she (the model) has. Also, the fashion industry is a very lucrative business. Top supermodels can make thousands of dollars a day. I'm sure that's more than enough to buy some treatments to prevent and minimize damage from their job.

Anlbe
June 21st, 2010, 03:11 PM
Hair and skin are one of the main things that models are chosen for, so the supermodel secret is generally that they're born with it just like their beautiful skin, their height and body types. Very long hair is nearly always extensions but the majority of models maintain APL to BSL hair because it's flexible. For hair adverts the hair is generally dyed (it's natural colour) to make it shiner and then styled almost to death.
Models don't that often have their hair dyed or cut for jobs because the shoot will have to pay ALOT for changing a model's appearance like that, so it's generally easier and cheaper to simply hire a model with the colouring you want. Most models only work two to four years tops, their hair takes a tremendous battering during that time. I have never understood why so many people want to be models, being professionally objectified is no fun no matter how good the money is.

goldenbrunette
June 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM
Yes, these last few answers are good as I didn't mean 'celebrities', I meant models.
For example, on here (http://www.models1.co.uk/)
there are a lot with gorgeous hair

Copasetic
June 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Yes, these last few answers are good as I didn't mean 'celebrities', I meant models.
For example, on here (http://www.models1.co.uk/)
there are a lot with gorgeous hair

I actually think most of the women on there have pretty average looking hair. Of course when you see models on TV or in magazines, their hair is styled to perfection, but on this website, you see a lot of different kinds of hair. They definitely don't all have extensions. In fact, there are very few who I suspect might have extensions.

joiekimochi
June 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
As a former model I can vouch that 99% of most models' hair (the nice ones) are extensions. When I was new I came into the scene with awesome TBL hair, which was my main selling point, but 6 months later I had to have it chopped to BSL because the bottom half of my hair was disintegrating from the styling. I found out that most of the other models have hair that are either SL or APL but they all have waist-long extensions which they frequently change once the fake hair gets worn out.

Extensions + styling + lighting + photoshop = amazing looking hair

Or on runway, extensions + extra hairpieces + styling = amazing looking hair

christine1989
June 21st, 2010, 07:18 PM
With some of the high fashion models I see I think they have wigs or extentions. I'm just not buying that a 5'10, 98 lb, anorexic model has beautiful, shiny hair. I do often wonder how the celebrities do it though. I have read that quite a few of them actually use oil treatments like us here on LHC :)

saskia_madding
June 21st, 2010, 07:24 PM
Cones can also make your hair look way better and healthier than it really is. I was shocked at how much damage showed up on my hair when I stopped using Aveda's awesome coney leave-in conditioner every day.

MsBubbles
June 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM
As a former model I can vouch that 99% of most models' hair (the nice ones) are extensions. When I was new I came into the scene with awesome TBL hair, which was my main selling point, but 6 months later I had to have it chopped to BSL because the bottom half of my hair was disintegrating from the styling. I found out that most of the other models have hair that are either SL or APL but they all have waist-long extensions which they frequently change once the fake hair gets worn out.

Extensions + styling + lighting + photoshop = amazing looking hair

Or on runway, extensions + extra hairpieces + styling = amazing looking hair

Thanks for this input! I don't know anything about the modeling business but have thought for a long time that they mostly wore extensions. I have watched America's Next Top Model a few times and find it sad that TB deems it necessary to lop off all the long hair and give all the girls with pixies outrageous extensions. Maybe that's just for the purpose of adding even more drama to the program.

Those models on that European website sure are pretty, and unique-looking too.

Oskimosa
June 21st, 2010, 07:50 PM
With some of the high fashion models I see I think they have wigs or extentions. I'm just not buying that a 5'10, 98 lb, anorexic model has beautiful, shiny hair. I do often wonder how the celebrities do it though. I have read that quite a few of them actually use oil treatments like us here on LHC :)

Hmm, let me buffer that a bit... I very much doubt most models are anorexics, even if they use unhealthy practices to stay slim. It is highly possible that many are malnourished, but just because models must be underweight doesn't mean they're all unhealthy. :flowers: (I've seen many a thread go down due to slim models being called anorexic!)

I also very much doubt that all the products in the world would let someone abuse their hair day in and day out to grow it out to waist and still look fabulous. Heat damages hair, and all the cones in the world can't change that. APL or BSL? Maybe. Beyond that, and something's fishy! :hmm:

UltraBella
June 21st, 2010, 08:06 PM
I would like to play devil's advocate here for a moment. As a makeup artist, I work with models continually, and most have atleast BSL hair in decent condition.
And not everyone's hair falls apart from the abuse. Until six weeks ago I heat styled my hair DAILY, and my hair is bleached, colored and highlighted. And in fantastic shape....... I am at hip length, it grows like a weed, and I abused the heck out of it for years. That doesn't mean you can't grow awesome healthy hair, some people easily can. It just depends on the individual.

Elenna
June 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM
Models are chosen for their looks and shapes. Not sure about the hair, but it really irks me to see apparently carefree but beautiful windblown BSL hair on a model selling something. It's sooo not real life!!!

KiwiLiz
June 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
They have a whole team of people making it look perfect, from the assistant following them around with a brush to the graphic artist manipulating the image.

I've seen plenty of hair in this community that looks just as good!

Beatrice
June 21st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hmm, let me buffer that a bit... I very much doubt most models are anorexics, even if they use unhealthy practices to stay slim. It is highly possible that many are malnourished, but just because models must be underweight doesn't mean they're all unhealthy. :flowers: (I've seen many a thread go down due to slim models being called anorexic!)

I also very much doubt that all the products in the world would let someone abuse their hair day in and day out to grow it out to waist and still look fabulous. Heat damages hair, and all the cones in the world can't change that. APL or BSL? Maybe. Beyond that, and something's fishy! :hmm:

Too true. I've always been underweight. I've attempted to gain for the sake of my health, and the last time I weighed myself, I'd actually lost five pounds! :-( My mom is the same way, so it's just genetic.

And UltraBella makes a good point. Some hair (usually the coarser, thicker types) can take way more abuse. My hair gets big and rough without loads of conditioner, but no amount of heat styling ever caused it to split or break, even without regular trims. Everyone's different, and every hair type has its pros and cons.

McFearless
June 21st, 2010, 09:57 PM
Extensions, extreme heat maipulation, dye, bleach, etc.
Models rarely have natural hair. Even when they do its so damaged from constantly having it made up.

Spiffyhink
June 21st, 2010, 10:18 PM
Models are chosen for their looks and shapes. Not sure about the hair, but it really irks me to see apparently carefree but beautiful windblown BSL hair on a model selling something. It's sooo not real life!!!

Arrrrgh...this bugs me too. I watch commercials all the time for various hair care products (each promising to somehow give your hair whatever characteristic you've always longed for) that show gorgeous long hair blowing in every direction, and all I can think is...SO MANY TANGLES! SO MUCH BREAKAGE!

UltraBella
June 21st, 2010, 11:02 PM
Arrrrgh...this bugs me too. I watch commercials all the time for various hair care products (each promising to somehow give your hair whatever characteristic you've always longed for) that show gorgeous long hair blowing in every direction, and all I can think is...SO MANY TANGLES! SO MUCH BREAKAGE!

Lol, I actually had that done to me for a photo shoot last year. It was fun but I was paranoid about tangles. I just hopped right in the shower when I got home and conditioned well. No damage thank goodness and a really cool hair pic...... If I find it I will post it, although I hate to think of how many people here might cringe to see hair blown about like that :)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 21st, 2010, 11:24 PM
I think most supermodels don't bleach their whole hair. They just put in blonde highlights.

Besides, i know that they don't always heat-style; i've seen many backstage photos where models had their hair in rollers or pin curls (hairdressers roll the section around curling iron but take it down immediately, then pin it to scalp)

If I find it I will post it, although I hate to think of how many people here might cringe to see hair blown about like that :)

Oh please post that picture!! :D:cheese:

Chamy
June 22nd, 2010, 02:39 AM
Definitely extensions. (Chamy -- cute bunny!)

I've also heard that drinking a lot of water and getting a lot of sleep has something to do with it.

Thank you, thats sweet!:) Yes i would guess that a lot of sleep and water would be great for your hair, maybe they just have more time to sleep than us normal mortals. ;)