PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with bangs...

CaliforniaAnne
June 21st, 2010, 11:14 AM
I've recently started not washing my hair with shampoo every day (CO). I've been finding, as I have in the past with this particular experiment, that my bangs and the wispy bits near my face end up looking terribly greasy and icky from this though. Yesterday and the day before I thought I'd try just washing the bangs with shampoo and COing (I know, not a real word. ;D ) the rest. This gave me exactly the results I wanted, but I'm interested in knowing if other people do the same thing and what your experiences are with it. :D

Dreams_in_Pink
June 21st, 2010, 11:17 AM
I always shampoo and heat-style my bangs, even if it's not greasy. Bangs are young hair so they can withstand more abuse than the rest of hair ;)

embee
June 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
No bangs now, but years ago when I did, when my hair was more greasy, I did wash them every single day - and if I were going out in the evening I'd wash them again! Otherwise my forehead skin broke out badly and the bangs just turned to stringy bits and looked very ugly.

alwayssmiling
June 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, my bangs get greasy really quickly. I avoid putting products on my bangs but like to have a dry shampoo spray handy for when they start to look a little lank.

jasper
June 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
That is kind of what I do. I condition the length first, and without rinsing, I shampoo bangs and scalp, focusing on the front first. Then I rinse everything and may or may not condition again. At most, I wash my hair three times a week.

My bangs don't always go greasy when I delay washing for several days, but sometimes I get motivated to wash my hair sooner that I planned by noticing the greasies.

Tiina
June 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM
I do WO and my fringe was the first part to get greasy too; it got used to it in a few weeks. Probably the natural oils of the scalp move along long hair when you comb or brush it but since the bangs don't need or get that the 'grease' simply stays there longer.

MissySue
June 21st, 2010, 01:00 PM
Every other day I wash all my hair and on the day I don't wash it all I wear a shower cap in the shower and pull out my bangs and just wash those, I don't condition my bangs though, they don't need it.

Kaihino
June 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM
My bangs also get super greasy (I wash about once a week w/Nature's Gate and try to keep the conditioner off my scalp/bangs) so I usually end up wearing a headband or bandanna the last couple of days before a wash. That way the rest of my hair that's not dripping with oil can stay for another day or three without being washed.

zenobia
June 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
I have the same problem with my bangs. Usually they look too fluffy on the first day after a wash, then they're perfect for a day, then they start looking greasy.

melrose1985
June 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
I only ever shampoo my bangs. Mine get greasy just because so i only use shampoo on them and conditioner on the rest.

FrannyG
June 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM
I generally CO often enough (usually every other day) that my bangs don't get very oily. Also, I have pretty thick bangs. However, if I do go an extra day without washing, and only my bangs look a bit greasy, I just spritz them with distilled water and blot them with a towel. They're dry before I know it, and they aren't greasy anymore.

Tabitha
June 21st, 2010, 03:21 PM
I wash my hair roughly every 6 days, and wash my fringe (bangs) once between main washes. This is not just because it gets a bit stringy, but also because I have a strong cowlick and that plus humidity making my wave reassert itself = something that resembles a pair of horns rather than a nice fringe (my brothers actually used to tease me about having "horns" when I was a teenager, over 30 years on and I haven't forgotten that).

I sometimes blowdry my whole head of hair, mostly airdry but always need to blowdry the fringe to get a smooth look and avoid the horns.

On the rare occasions when it's really hot in summer and doesn't cool down much at night, I can wake up in the morning and my fringe/bangs will be sticking out literally at right-angles to my forehead, making me look completely insane.

Like others, I think the more frequent washing and regular blowdrying won't do any harm because this is hair that is a few inches long at most with no plan ever to grow it any longer - without a fringe, I look like an egghead.

pineconejg
June 21st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for asking this question. I was going to ask this today because I decided Saturday morning to cut my bangs. I was going to grow them out, but I felt like I looked so old without bangs. I feel young and sassy with them.

triumphator!
June 30th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I have to shampoo my bangs at least every other day because sweat builds up on them and they look piece-y and terrible. I've considered trying dry shampoo, though.....

klcqtee
June 30th, 2010, 02:07 PM
I don't CO my bangs for that reason. My bangs either get WO or shampooed