PDA

View Full Version : Do You Think This Is Bad/damaging??

09robiha
June 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
I have started to gettin inot the habit of wearing the same hairstyle everyday, mainly because it suits me and its really easy to do. I just tie my hair up, as I would a pony, but dont pull the ends all the way through and leve some bits down to frame my face. I make sure the ends are well clear of everything and that its not to tight, but is this a damaging/bad hairstyle to do everyday??

Fractalsofhair
June 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM
It can be damaging to wear the same hairstyle every day, but switching it up once a week should be fine. If it's not too tight, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Pandora.
June 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM
I do this hairstyle a lot too.
I'm not sure if it's damaging (I hope it isn't!), but I would love to hear other peoples responses so I'll hang about in this thread for a bit. :)

LaurelSpring
June 21st, 2010, 09:27 AM
I myself would be uncomfortable wearing that every day. I would worry too much about damage, especially the pony part. That tends to freak me out in general so I mostly avoid it other than occasional sock buns and such. I do like to mix it up hair wise also just for variety.

TiaKitty
June 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM
I used to wear my hair like that all the time, and I never noticed any real damage from it. I would pull the ends to the top side of the pony and splay them out, like a peacock's tail. I just always paid extra attention to my ends and gave them extra conditioner when I got the chance.

I would switch up to a stick bun every so often, just for good measure.

Anje
June 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
In the past, I noticed that I had a big broken section where I tied my ponytail every day, primarily comprised of the hairs from the crown to the elastic, which probably bore most of the weight. So for me, wearing a style like you describe would definitely be damaging, because the elastic and weight combine to break my hair. Your experience may be different from mine, or it may not...

Dreams_in_Pink
June 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM
There's a popular belief that wearing the same 'do for extended periods of time is damaging, but i cannot say i experienced any :shrug: I've worn a ponytail all my life and i always had a blunt thick hemline.

I don't know about F/M kind of hair though. My hair's coarse and kinda resistant to wear-and-tear.

mellie89
June 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM
I wear my hair like that almost every day, and I haven't noticed any damage from it. Just make sure nothing is pulling. I wear my hair down once or twice a week, or in pigtail braids or something, just to give my scalp a break. I think you'll be fine. :) It's got to be a lot better than a messy bun every day, which is what I used to do.

Yozhik
June 21st, 2010, 11:16 AM
I think as long as you adjust the height of your ponytail every so often, don't have it too tight, and use relatively undamaging elastics, this hairdo is probably not too bad.

I do some modification of this at least for part of the day every day, because I can't concentrate (or wash the dishes, or household chores, etc.) with my hair loose.

Also, I would be careful that you're not putting your ends in direct abrasive contact with the elastic when you pull it through (i.e. don't pull it through too close to the ends of your hair), because I could see that possibly aggravating damage and promoting breakage on the already fragile parts of your hair.

09robiha
June 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
I think as long as you adjust the height of your ponytail every so often, don't have it too tight, and use relatively undamaging elastics, this hairdo is probably not too bad.

I do some modification of this at least for part of the day every day, because I can't concentrate (or wash the dishes, or household chores, etc.) with my hair loose.

Also, I would be careful that you're not putting your ends in direct abrasive contact with the elastic when you pull it through (i.e. don't pull it through too close to the ends of your hair), because I could see that possibly aggravating damage and promoting breakage on the already fragile parts of your hair.

I change it up often. Freshly washed I wear my hair down, but I have to wait for a day were I have time to let it dry, I takes over 4 hours!!! I do keep my ends well moisturised and oiled with coconut oil.

I might try switching it up with a nautalis bun though because I find it really comfortable and it gives me an excuse to invest in some more sticks :)

hemolymph
June 21st, 2010, 11:50 AM
I did my 2 year old daughters hair like that and I noticed she's missing a lot of hair from where the pony tail was now =(

I think it does more damage than we notice initally..

Rapunzal2Be
June 21st, 2010, 12:19 PM
My opinion - it can be damaging.

I like to wear my hair in a pony on the top of my head with a scrunchie while I sleep, thinking this was good. But I've noticed some breakage from the hairs on the top of my head, about where my pony tail is. Not good. :(

Angeletti
June 21st, 2010, 01:48 PM
I used to use ponytails but after being on this site for a few months and reading about damage it can cause I switched to buns with hair sticks. I've never really noticed any damage from ponytails but just didn't want to take the chance