PDA

View Full Version : When to worry about shedding?

Curlsgirl
June 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
I have always had a LOT of hair and never really had to worry about it before but in the last few weeks I have really been having LOTS of hair come out when I wash. Not washing any less or more than I was or eating any differently, can't think of unusual stress or anything. Just wondering when to start being worried or that is when should I see a doctor about it and will they really even know what to do? I take lots of vitamins but not really anything specifically hair related. Any advice? I know there are tons of threads on this but I never really paid much attention since I never had this problem before. :confused:

spidermom
June 21st, 2010, 08:52 AM
That well-known long hair stylist - George Michael, I think that's the name - said that people could expect a major shed about every 7 years. I don't know how true that is, but I had an OMG why is there so much hair on the floor every time I comb back at end-summer 2005. Within a few months I had lots of baby hairs sticking up all over the place, and shedding since then has been pretty minimal every day. So maybe you're just at a major shed year. If you don't have other symptoms, I think it's probably normal. If you haven't had a physical examination with blood work in awhile, you might want to consider doing that to be sure you aren't anemic or have low thyroid.

aries
June 23rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
I am late with this one but haven't been around in a while.

I have had a major shed the last several months. So much so that my pony cirumfrance is now 2" smaller than it was. I am hypo thyoroid and am hoping it's a little of the 7 year shed spidermom speaks of and thyroid (hopefully my meds are right now). I am also noticing super dryness and not sure what to do for that. I will say that I have a ton of baby hairs coming in and they are getting to the point that they are tangling with the longer hairs and causing me some issues. I'm not going to complain too much because I'm happy to have some growth coming back in.

I would agree that you should have blood work regularly and stay as healthy as possible. One thing I have been adding to my routine is scalp massaging again. I did it years ago when I joined lhc but kinda slacked for many years heh.