PDA

View Full Version : cocoa butter

Lile
June 21st, 2010, 07:00 AM
The only kind of oil",or in this case butter that works for my hair as a leave-in is cocoa butter.
I've tried several( sesame oil, almond oil,sunflower oil, EVO, coconut oil...etc)

Anybody out there who has the same experience?

weird.I can't figure out why.

freznow
June 21st, 2010, 07:33 AM
I love cocoa butter, I have some with jojoba oil in it and it's divine. Smells just like chocolate. :) However, my hair's good wit just about any oils. Some have different affects. The cocoa butter does have a good balance of moisture without greasiness, though.

melrose1985
June 21st, 2010, 07:48 AM
What or where do you get the coco butter from? I have that brand Palmer's coco butter but I thought that just for skin.

Lunami
June 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM
What or where do you get the coco butter from? I have that brand Palmer's coco butter but I thought that just for skin.

You can use "skin" cocoa butter in your hair :) Food/hair oils can be used on your skin as well. Some are 100% and some are diluted with water and may include other oils, or even things such as mineral oil.

melrose1985
June 21st, 2010, 09:32 AM
You can use "skin" cocoa butter in your hair :) Food/hair oils can be used on your skin as well. Some are 100% and some are diluted with water and may include other oils, or even things such as mineral oil.

I haven't looked at the back of the coco butter i have but i was worried it would have mineral oil, which i don't think i want to put in my hair. Where would one fine 100% coco butter or is it just not made like that? I thought coco butter is something or maybe it's just made of other things to make it coco butter, maybe i'm just confused.

halo_tightens
June 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM
I haven't looked at the back of the coco butter i have but i was worried it would have mineral oil, which i don't think i want to put in my hair. Where would one fine 100% coco butter or is it just not made like that? I thought coco butter is something or maybe it's just made of other things to make it coco butter, maybe i'm just confused.

It's absolutely possible to find 100% pure cocoa butter! I've seen it in many different types of stores, usually with the skin care items. It usually seems to come in the form of a solid stick inside a plastic tube. It's really easy then to simply apply the stick straight to your skin or hair (sort of like you would use Chapstick!) or cut off a chunk and melt it to use.

melrose1985
June 21st, 2010, 09:42 AM
It's absolutely possible to find 100% pure cocoa butter! I've seen it in many different types of stores, usually with the skin care items. It usually seems to come in the form of a solid stick inside a plastic tube. It's really easy then to simply apply the stick straight to your skin or hair (sort of like you would use Chapstick!) or cut off a chunk and melt it to use.

Okay! thank you, I'll have to look for it. I think i saw a bar of it but it may have been soap.

halo_tightens
June 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Okay! thank you, I'll have to look for it. I think i saw a bar of it but it may have been soap.

No problem! Just read the ingredients. I've seen lots of products that say "Cocoa Butter" as the name, but there's an ingredient list on the back with all kinds of other substances, too.

I have a stick of the pure stuff that I keep here at my desk, and on the back it says simply, "100% Cocoa Butter."

melrose1985
June 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
No problem! Just read the ingredients. I've seen lots of products that say "Cocoa Butter" as the name, but there's an ingredient list on the back with all kinds of other substances, too.

I have a stick of the pure stuff that I keep here at my desk, and on the back it says simply, "100% Cocoa Butter."

Okay I'm now on the look out. I LOVE the smell of coco butter and would love to try it on my hair because oils don't work really well.

ChloeDharma
June 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Palmers usually add mineral oil to their lotions and oils, i do like their lip balm though.
Cocoa butter can be found in its pure form in places that sell oils, herbs, essential oils etc. I only know of places in the UK that sell it but i'm assuming somewhere like mountain rose herbs or from nature with love might sell it?
If you get really desperate then www.baldwins.co.uk or try googling neals yard remedies as their website is international but i know their store near me sells pure cocoa butter

ETA- here you go, found two places that sell it :)
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=BUTCOCOA&searchflag=1
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=Cocoa+Butter+organic

lastnite
June 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
is cocoa butter as good/about the same as shea butter? since those cocoa butter sticks are cheap, or sometimes free in CVS with coupons, it's more convenient than ordering shea butter online.

pennylane
June 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM
Cocoa butter is good stuff! :D

You know, i make this concoction.... i mix cocoa butter + coconut oil+ shea butter

I put in microwave for a few seconds

I stir well

put in fridge

take out after 1 hour and stir again .... do this a couple of times

put in a pot

I use this home-made cream as a defrizzer/smoother on my hair ,is really great! i use a little bit, very nourishing, effective and cheap. My hair loves it!

pennylane
June 21st, 2010, 11:36 PM
I must say cocoa butter is very good. Right along there with shea. :)

Kathie
June 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM
I've just got some cocoa butter. I'm planning on making some leave ins with this and other ingredients. Anyways, mine is quite hard. It does melt at body temp (rubbed between hands)- but it takes a bit more work than coconut oil. It looks like this (the same stuff mentioned in ChloeDharma's post)...

http://www.divas-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/cocoa-butter.jpg

I can basically chip small bits off, its that hard.

pennylane
June 21st, 2010, 11:58 PM
Yes Kathie, cocoa butter is hard, but its worth it, when i do my mix (as above) i put a lil bit less cocoa butter if i want the final result to be softer. :)

eschmi1
June 22nd, 2010, 12:03 AM
I never even thought about using cocoa butter on hair. I'll have to give it a whirl. :eek:

melrose1985
June 23rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Palmers usually add mineral oil to their lotions and oils, i do like their lip balm though.
Cocoa butter can be found in its pure form in places that sell oils, herbs, essential oils etc. I only know of places in the UK that sell it but i'm assuming somewhere like mountain rose herbs or from nature with love might sell it?
If you get really desperate then www.baldwins.co.uk (http://www.baldwins.co.uk) or try googling neals yard remedies as their website is international but i know their store near me sells pure cocoa butter

ETA- here you go, found two places that sell it :)
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=BUTCOCOA&searchflag=1
http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?refine=y&keywords=Cocoa+Butter+organic

thanks for posting, I think I have order from Mountain Rose before for other things. Thanks!

Laylah
June 23rd, 2010, 07:46 PM
which do you prefer, shea butter or cocoa butter?

pennylane
June 23rd, 2010, 11:18 PM
which do you prefer, shea butter or cocoa butter?

Shea butter and cocoa butter are both moisturizing products that prevent and treat dry skin and hair. They are generally interchangeable for everyday cosmetic use, and the choice of either shea or cocoa butter is a personal preference. :)

I mix my cocoa with shea and coconut oil, and use it on dry hair as a smoother.:)

Natalia
June 25th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Queen Helene has a 100% cocoa butter stick. It comes in a white tube with a brown cap and brown writing hope you can find some :)

C_Bookworm
June 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I've found Cococare 100% cocoa butter at the dollar store:)

LaurelSpring
June 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Cocoa butter is good stuff! :D

You know, i make this concoction.... i mix cocoa butter + coconut oil+ shea butter

I put in microwave for a few seconds

I stir well

put in fridge

take out after 1 hour and stir again .... do this a couple of times

put in a pot

I use this home-made cream as a defrizzer/smoother on my hair ,is really great! i use a little bit, very nourishing, effective and cheap. My hair loves it!

This is exactly what I do and I love it!!! I use it on my body too. I add a drop of whatever essential oil I want to smell like to it in my hand and use it on my body then the residue that is on my hands after I put it on my body I use to coat my ends.

hetschepetsch
June 30th, 2010, 03:52 AM
for those that have problems to find a good source 100% pure Cocoa butter and similar things are sold in chemistry stores(merck, roth) and in pharmacies. chemistry stores are much cheaper you get about 1kg for 30 €. that means I have got more than I need!

Sissy
June 30th, 2010, 07:43 AM

here is the Aura Cacia Cocoa Butter (http://www.vitacost.com/Aura-Cacia-Natural-Cocoa-Butter-Body-Butter) I ordered not too long ago, it's pure. I plan to make some whipped cocoa butter by mixing some oils in with it and some EO's and using it as a deep treatment for my hair and skin.

Laylah
July 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM
If I mix cocoa butter with coconut oil, will it be significantly softer?

OperaTeacherMom
July 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I am excited to find this thread! I bought some 100% cocoa butter at Sally's on a whim thinking it might work, and I've used it a time or 2 to smooth my frizz with great results, the little chap stick container is great to stick in my purse for those random frizzy moments.

Pennylane, I am so going to try your "recipe"! I'll probably use sweet almond oil instead, coconut gets really heavy on my hair really fast. I bet it smells lovely :)

Laylah
July 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I was also wondering, after mixing cocoa butter with other ingredients does it require some sort of preservative to last?

StephanieB
July 19th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I was also wondering, after mixing cocoa butter with other ingredients does it require some sort of preservative to last?
That ^ depends entirely upon what other ingredients you mix with the cocoa butter.

If you use shea butter and/or coconut oil - then no, you needn't do anything else to it, nor do you need to refridgerate it to preserve it.

Depending upon how much of either ingredient you use, however, you might want to refridgerate if you want it harder or leave it room temp if you want it softer.

What did you plan on using, Laylah?
Then we all can answer you better...

StephanieB
July 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM
BTW - I get big bright/dark yellow sticks (push-up kind with a cap) of Cococare 100% cocoa butter in Walgreens and CVS for a dollar or so, regularly.

But I only use cocoa butter on my lips as a chapstick kinda thing.

It never occurred to me to try using it on my hair, and I just never got into using it straight on my skin coz both shea butter and coconut oil are lighter (less greasy) - to me, anyhow.

I love that this stick does not melt in my handbag or pocket, even in the summertime... unlike everything else I've ever tried to carry for my lips.
I find Chapstick to be too dry/hard, and it doesn't do what cocoa butter does for my lips.

Laylah
July 19th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Thank you StephanieB! I'm thinking of mixing coconut oil with the cocoa butter, to make it easier to apply/get out of the container.

serious
July 19th, 2010, 01:32 PM
I've been using cocoa butter on my face, body and hair and it works :magic:

For hair, I use it mixed with conditioner as a DT and mixed with oils as a leave in.
My ends have never been happier!

Gabriel
July 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
This thread is funny because I just used some cocoa butter ( I bought for my skin) to smooth down my fly aways and it's worked great so far! I'm going to try some of the other ideas in here too. :)

pennylane
July 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Pennylane, I am so going to try your "recipe"! I'll probably use sweet almond oil instead, coconut gets really heavy on my hair really fast. I bet it smells lovely :)

:) I'm sure sweet almond oil will also work well with the recipe! Best of luck! :blossom:

maybe sparrow
July 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I love it on my skin, but wouldn't have thought about it for my hair...