PDA

View Full Version : Cold Turkey

heynormy
June 20th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I've had it! I must stop heat styling my hair!! I've seen no growth in months! So I'm giving up all heat tools cold turkey, but I'm going to need the help and support of all you wonderful people here at the LHC!
My biggest problem is my hair straightener! What can I say..it calls out to me!! :o
My natural hair is fairly wavy, the kind of waves everyone is dying to have this summer. However, after years of damage my waves have turned into frizz! I must admit, I did cut about an inch off a couple months ago (out of frustration and split ends) and I dyed my hair so I could get it all one solid color (gosh I feel so bad!!) and now I am ready pamper my hair to a healthier condition!
Is there a support thread for recovering straightening addicts?! Maybe I should start one!!
Anyways, tonight I'm going to do a heavy oiling with coconut oil to kick off this new beginning!!
Wish me luck!:D

Arctic_Mama
June 20th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Good luck! Cold turkey was the way to go for me, though I admittedly didn't use heat styling that often I did feel I needed it for my hair to look good - now I know better!

Some judicious use of tools is helpful (like blowdrying bangs to bang them lay nicely or a shot of cool air to dry hair in a hurry, if need be) but honestly your routine will be faster and your hair will likely be healthier without using them :)

UltraBella
June 21st, 2010, 12:14 AM
Sigh * It has been six weeks since I curled my hair with a large barreled curling iron (my addiction of choice) and I am doing OKAY. I do miss it, but I am trying to treat my hair nicely. I purchased a replacement Caruso Molecular Hairsetter for my broken one and I think that will probably make me feel better if I need some big bouncy curls.
I have had 1 and 1/2 inches of growth in those six weeks, so I am trying to concentrate on that.

pennylane
June 21st, 2010, 12:32 AM
I would like to be in the desert if i go cold turkey.

If I am not in the city and if i am all alone.... sure cold turkey. :)

Otherwise , not cold turkey for me. No way. Never , ever. ;)

jera
June 21st, 2010, 01:27 AM
Hugs and support. :) I went cold turkey too from blow fryers and curling irons over a year ago. I think your natural wavies are quite pretty. I used to straighten my hair and then curl the ends. :o If it's any consolation, you do get used to your own natural waves and textures. In time, you even grow to love them. Initially, it is challenging though.

alwayssmiling
June 21st, 2010, 06:12 AM
I'm 4 weeks cold turkey of absolutely no heat - I even cover up in the sunshine :). It was so hard at first, and I have had my hair up most of the time, but now I'm having GOOD hair days! My curl pattern is coming back (I haven't seen my true curls for years). Its softer and has a natural shine. I'm also seeing some major growth, 1" in the past month :eek: I always thought I was a slow grower!

If it helps you any with your heat free journey - I have noticed that the poker straight look is not as fashionable as it was. Lots of the girls at school are wearing their hair wavier, bouncy curls and more natural. :)

alabaster
June 21st, 2010, 06:31 AM
I've had it! I must stop heat styling my hair!! I've seen no growth in months! So I'm giving up all heat tools cold turkey, but I'm going to need the help and support of all you wonderful people here at the LHC!
My biggest problem is my hair straightener! What can I say..it calls out to me!! :o
My natural hair is fairly wavy, the kind of waves everyone is dying to have this summer. However, after years of damage my waves have turned into frizz! I must admit, I did cut about an inch off a couple months ago (out of frustration and split ends) and I dyed my hair so I could get it all one solid color (gosh I feel so bad!!) and now I am ready pamper my hair to a healthier condition!
Is there a support thread for recovering straightening addicts?! Maybe I should start one!!
Anyways, tonight I'm going to do a heavy oiling with coconut oil to kick off this new beginning!!
Wish me luck!:D

I too am starting my no-heat cold turkey kick as of this weekend. It has been 3 days of no blowfryer and i am already having a hard time. I think my solution for the mean time is to wear my hair up as much as possible until i get used to it. I am going to let it air dry down on the weekends so if i end up having a bad hair day it is no big deal. I am seriously addicted to blow dryers.....let's rally together for support...

Jessclewlow
June 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM
*high five* im currently in my 3rd week of no straightening! i still browdry my hair on the cool setting though otherwise its just an absolute nightmare... but as soon as i get my hair to a decent length the blowfryer is going too... its reeeeally hard being able to put up with no straightening but i have even in the 3 weeks noticed the difference. my hair is becoming more barable, lovely and soft and aint all that frizzy anymore! seriously my straighteners are currently in a cellotaped box in the middle of under the bed where i cant get them! lol.. stick with it hun! its definatly a step in the right direction :). P.s get yourself some vitamins & minerals to help your hair recover from the heat stroke ;) x

hendrix.co
June 21st, 2010, 06:53 AM
I went cold turkey in March. After a few weeks of bad frizz days I love my hair everyday. I do have to coax that straightener smoothness into it with some leave in conditioner and oil. Also don't forget about bun waves and rag curls for more control til your natural waves come back. LUCK!

jasper
June 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM
I am fascinated by these threads that make flat iron use sound like an addiction. What is it about the flat iron that creates this sort of dependence?

alabaster
June 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM
I am fascinated by these threads that make flat iron use sound like an addiction. What is it about the flat iron that creates this sort of dependence?

I think it is because without the flat iron/blowdryer your hair is able to have a mind of its own and can do whatever it likes. If you are using a flat iron you can tame even the curliest of hair into submission and make it do what you want it to... It is also the smoothness that comes with the 450C heat that just cant be achieved by airdrying....

mellie89
June 21st, 2010, 10:44 AM

I have almost straight hair, and I was addicted to straightening too. It's something about having SUPER straight, shiny hair. It's really addictive. Don't ever start, because it's hard to give up!

That said, I went cold turkey (by throwing the thing in the garbage) around a year ago and my hair feels and looks so much better now. There's definitely an adjustment period, but I promise you'll get through it!

alwayssmiling
June 21st, 2010, 11:40 AM
I used to straighten my hair sometimes twice a day. It was because I couldn't cope with the frizzies. It was the only thing that got rid of them completely (well until the next wash). Now I'm learning about different products, protein and moisture, leaving my hair to airdry and not brushing when wet I can manage my frizzies much better. I'm enjoying being curly/wavy at the moment.

I have offered my heat stylers on freecycle today......gulp!

hemolymph
June 21st, 2010, 11:47 AM
Embrace your waves! They are all the rage right now =) That's what gives me motivation to keep away from the blow dryer & straightener!!
I, too, have quit cold turkey. Only about a week.. but still.. !! No more!! Tempted to throw 'em in the trash!

heynormy
June 21st, 2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for all the support!! I feel the love!!
It's nice to know that a few of you are sharing the same problem as I am!!
I just washed out the coconut oil from my hair and I am currently air drying! Maybe I'll post some pictures to show you all the finished results!

alabaster
July 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM
18 days without heat styling!! Whahoo:)

Changes i have noticed:
-hair is much softer while wet and when dry
-less frizz when air drying as time has gone on
-less little bits of hair when i am brushing/combing

Reptilia
July 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Oh gosh, I am SO there with you! I was so very good for a long time, and I gained some really nice length. For the last 6ish months or so, I've slacked and went back to my old straightening habits. Luckily I've still kept up with many of the LHC tips and tricks and I don't heat style on a daily basis, however I have had an increase in splits and dry ends and breakage as of late. I measured recently and haven't grown at all in months... pfft! It's time to swear it off once again! It's always easier in the summer anyway. Going around with wet hair in winter around here (Canada) isn't the smartest idea. haha that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :p

HintOfMint
July 5th, 2010, 02:40 PM

It is a control issue. Even with a blowdrier, hair still can do what it wants. However, a flat iron gives a very specific outcome. I'm impatient and not very skilled when it comes to styling my bangs, so a flat iron is a relatively quick fix for me.

Also, nothing beats glass smooth silicone-coated pin straight doll-like hair cascading down your back. Wow, this post has been a bit of a trigger for me.

schweedie
July 5th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Also, nothing beats glass smooth silicone-coated pin straight doll-like hair cascading down your back. Wow, this post has been a bit of a trigger for me.
Seriously. I hardly ever used my flat iron even before I consciously started taking better care of my hair - I've owned it for years and used it maybe five times, but now suddenly, I'm longing for that glass-smooth feeling.

...No! Bad flat iron!

haharobots
July 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Heynormy,

You read my mind, your first post sounds like my own biography! I'm really glad you started this thread, I have made the decision to quit my flat iron cold turkey too. I haven't used mine since Thursday (6/1).

I can't stand my natural whirles, coming out at all crazy, frizzy angles from my head. >:( I can live with it as long as I have a ponytail, but I don't wanna wear it down yet.

jasper
July 5th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I was in a mall a couple of weeks ago and a guy at one of those hair appliance kiosks offered to demo the flat iron on my hair as I was going by. Having read this thread, I reacted as if he was a dope pusher. :cheese:

heynormy
July 6th, 2010, 11:36 PM
So, it's been two weeks and one say since I've used any kind of heat tool on my hair! I must say..I'm starting to like my messy/sloppy hair! Anyways, just thought I would let people know of my progress! :)

Sunsailing
July 8th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Considering all of the tools with heat, flat irons get by far the hottest. Some can get hundreds of degress hotter than some curling irons.

FrannyG
July 8th, 2010, 03:47 AM
heynormy, I was never addicted to flat irons, but I certainly was addicted to blow dryers, curling irons and hot rollers.

I never imagined going without at least my curling iron, but I did go cold turkey just before joining here, and let me tell you, it was worth it.

Hurray for you on 15 days without the flat iron! I'll bet your hair doesn't look either messy or sloppy. Once you get used to your natural texture, you'll see how lovely it really is.

Way to go! :blossom:

alwayssmiling
July 8th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I'm on my sixth week and was having lots of temptations to flat iron. It was only because I found a ton of splits and white dots that I have stepped away from the straightener. I know my hair is still quite fragile and any heat will result in a load of breakage.

I'm spending most of my time with my hair in pigtails and ponytails and really miss wearing it down, but its just at that awkward stage where it never seems to curl in uniform. My layers are just sticking out or look straight but my length is curling beautifully???

Once I get a couple more inches I'm sure it will be easier.

CourtneyBee
July 8th, 2010, 07:44 AM
2 months down- The condition drastically improved after 3 weeks. I shudder to think of the way my hair looked after blow drying. If only I had known what I was missing all along!

Jenw777
July 8th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I'm putting away my straightner as well. I keep telling myself I can only use it on special occasions.

I need to break it, but I can't bear to. It's the only styling tool I know how to use. It's my friend

Beesweet
July 8th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Ha ha, my hair is messy and sloppy and I really like it. Since I gave up the iron in high school -- yes an actual iron -- I would lay my head down on the ironing board and iron it under a tshirt.

Maybe you can send your styling tools to a friend's house for a while. Just stick 'em in a box and get them out of your house so you won't be tempted.

Just to affirm how damaging there are -- I have watched the teenager next door go from having the most beautiful wavy, curly golden brown hair that bounced half way down her back, to a straggly, dry, broken off mess that lies flat and tapered above bra strap.

It's like those before and after pictures of people who do meth.

You can do it!

GRU
July 8th, 2010, 09:39 AM
I'm spending most of my time with my hair in pigtails and ponytails and really miss wearing it down, but its just at that awkward stage where it never seems to curl in uniform. My layers are just sticking out or look straight but my length is curling beautifully???

Have you tried CO-washing or using the Curly Girl method of leaving conditioner in your hair after washing it? It's made a significant difference in my frizziness.

heynormy
July 8th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Aww...thanks for all the support you guys! I've actually been tempted to reach for my straightener for a couple days now, but I've been so lazy that I just ignore the temptation! Plus I've been wearing my hair in one of those messy braids that have become oh so popular for summer..which requires messy hair to begin with!
Hmmm...I'm debating if I should sell/get rid of/break my heat styling tools!! :D

RavenRapunzel3
July 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't be so bad for me.....I maybe blow dry my hair a handful of times a year and apply heat to it in the form of curling iron or flat iron the same. My hair loves me for it and I have very little heat damage or breakage :)

redneckprincess
July 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I went off straightning irons over a year ago, but still straighten once every few months, im learning that i like my curls so much that i dont feel my hair looks as "good" as it used to when i would straighten it..
Good Luck to you :)

BrightEyes
July 9th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Ok, I'm jumping in on this! I've actually been slowly weaning myself off of the blow drier and flat iron. I went from a couple times a week, to once a week. Recently I've been heat styling about once every 12-13 days or so. But I'm really starting to notice the effects of heat on my hair, especially the parts I flat iron. It's dry, frizzy, dull, and breaks like crazy. Or maybe I've been in denial and am just realizing how bad it is for my fine hair. Anyway, I've got to stop the torture!

I'm actually pretty nervous to be so bold, but......... as of today NO MORE HEAT!!!

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 08:22 AM
We'll support you, BrightEyes!

Maybe we should form a 12-step group for Heat-Styling Addicts... but what would we call it? Fryers Anonymous????

BrightEyes
July 9th, 2010, 08:35 AM
We'll support you, BrightEyes!

Maybe we should form a 12-step group for Heat-Styling Addicts... but what would we call it? Fryers Anonymous????

Thanks!

Fryers Anonymous! That's perfect. I love it! After making my no heat declaration, I broke out in a cold sweat and my heart started pounding. I almost jumped out of my chair screaming, "no I didn't mean it!! Flat iron, I love you. I promise I'll never leave you!!!"

Yep...I'm addicted.

But I really do know better, and I'm at the point where I'm ready to do what is best for my hair. So where do I sign up??:D

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
So where do I sign up??:D

And more importantly, who's bringing the cookies????

:cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: nomnomnom

alabaster
July 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM

I will :) :cookie::cookie:

bumblebums
July 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM
I stopped using my flat iron about two years ago when I realized what it was doing to my hair. Since then, I have come to really dislike the look of ironed hair. I can often spot it--it looks rigidly flat at the ends, but there is always a little kink higher up, where the iron didn't reach. Long-term users often have a major taper from all the breakage--the ends rarely look blunt.

And ladies (and gentlemen), please do not put your flat iron in the trash. There are plenty of fashion victims on craigslist. I sold my flat iron to one of them for $30.

GRU
July 9th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I will :) :cookie::cookie:

Cool! Baked from scratch, baked from a mix, picked up at a bakery, or picked up off the shelf at the grocery store? (Who the heck am I kidding, I'll eat any kind! :lol: )

And ladies (and gentlemen), please do not put your flat iron in the trash. There are plenty of fashion victims on craigslist. I sold my flat iron to one of them for $30.

Don't you just LOVE craigslist? It's awesome for selling college textbooks... so far I've turned a PROFIT on all my books. :D

alwayssmiling
July 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Have you tried CO-washing or using the Curly Girl method of leaving conditioner in your hair after washing it? It's made a significant difference in my frizziness.

Ah. Its funny you should say that. I left some conditioner on my ends today after I washed it and its curled really nicely. I do CO wash from time to time but it seems to make my scalp and fringe greasy quickly. Curly Girl you say? I will look into that. Thanks.

xoxophelia
July 9th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Trust me it is SOOO worth it. I didn't even know what my hair felt like when I was abusing it with heat tools and I gave them up (except for very rarely) around November. I have heat styled carefully twice since then and stay away from the new growth.

Now it feels silky and has zero frizz. I can wash and go and it looks just fine :)

alabaster
July 9th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I am kind of stressing about a wedding i have coming up for my best friend. She is getting married in August and i really dont know what to do with my hair for the day. It is just as shoulder length so i really can only make a messy bun out of it... would a messy bun be bad since it is a fancy wedding? The other option is blow drying my hair straight, but i am having some serious guilt issues doing that because i have been doing so well without heat and i love the way my hair feels. Any advice?

bumblebums
July 9th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I am kind of stressing about a wedding i have coming up for my best friend. She is getting married in August and i really dont know what to do with my hair for the day. It is just as shoulder length so i really can only make a messy bun out of it... would a messy bun be bad since it is a fancy wedding? The other option is blow drying my hair straight, but i am having some serious guilt issues doing that because i have been doing so well without heat and i love the way my hair feels. Any advice?

You can make a Gibson tuck look fancy with some accessories. You could also experiment with rag rollers and go curly.

heynormy
July 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Ok, I'm jumping in on this! I've actually been slowly weaning myself off of the blow drier and flat iron. I went from a couple times a week, to once a week. Recently I've been heat styling about once every 12-13 days or so. But I'm really starting to notice the effects of heat on my hair, especially the parts I flat iron. It's dry, frizzy, dull, and breaks like crazy. Or maybe I've been in denial and am just realizing how bad it is for my fine hair. Anyway, I've got to stop the torture!

I'm actually pretty nervous to be so bold, but......... as of today NO MORE HEAT!!!
Good luck to you!! Hopefully we can get through the hard times with all the support from the wonderful members here at LHC!! :cheese:

Speaking of cookies...I baked some from scratch yesterday!! I must say they were pretty awesome!

Of course you can do a messy bun!! There are plenty of videos on youtube that you could look into..minus the heat of course!! A lot of the messy buns on youtube require curling your hair, but you could always pin curl, bun or braid your hair in order to get the desired texture!:)

On a side note.. I broke another hair clip!! YAY!!:p
Not heat styling my hair has really helped with the overall thickness, since I'm not shedding as much! I guess you can't argue with results right!!

alabaster
July 16th, 2010, 06:56 AM
So i have a confession to make.... I used a flat iron this morning and am feeling guilty so i had to confess to my fellow addicts...

I think i am going to do a nice deep conditioning treatment this weekend to do penance for my sins today....

alwayssmiling
July 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM
So i have a confession to make.... I used a flat iron this morning and am feeling guilty so i had to confess to my fellow addicts...

I think i am going to do a nice deep conditioning treatment this weekend to do penance for my sins today....

Yes, get as much moisture into your hair as possible, and a bit of a pamper I'm sure it will be fine. Maybe an oil treatment? The thing with flat ironing it makes our hair look so much longer so it can be really tempting when you've had a growth spurt. :o

heynormy
July 16th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Remember, it will be ok!! Just back away from the straightener!:D
Nothing a good deep conditioning can't fix!

Jenn of Pence
July 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM
I have almost straight hair, and I was addicted to straightening too. It's something about having SUPER straight, shiny hair. It's really addictive. Don't ever start, because it's hard to give up!

Yeah! Me too. My hair is mostly straight, but I have a few large body waves. I just wanted to beat them into submission and have straight hair all over. I always did it on a pretty low heat, though. Hopefully that saved a little bit of damage. Now I've quit and I can manage the body wave okay without it.

I was in a mall a couple of weeks ago and a guy at one of those hair appliance kiosks offered to demo the flat iron on my hair as I was going by. Having read this thread, I reacted as if he was a dope pusher. :cheese:

That's my reaction to them, too, hehe. ;) I have a whole dialogue in my head that I would tell them if they asked: "look how beautiful my hair is now that I don't straighten...I don't need your fry stick!"

BrightEyes
July 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Well, I have a confession. I blow dried (with a round brush:o) and then flat ironed the sides of my hair.....twice! I really do want to recover from this silly addiction, but it's so dang hard!!!!!!

My hair is shoulder length in front, and just past chin length in the back. It's at a very frustrating length to air dry, but if I torture it just right then it can look perfect, and actually in good condition. But I know it's just the lies of heat styling. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky!

I air dried it today (for church even!), and my waves actually turned out cute. And I didn't have the crazy frizz I usually have after air drying. So I'm going to keep trying to kick the heat styling. Sheesh, why is this so hard?????

Beatrice
July 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
For the shine addicts here, I highly recommend more updos. I did a peacock twist yesterday and got nothing but compliments all day, even from people who normally ignore my hair. They all seemed to think it was really complex and took a long time. :p Plus all that hair pulled securely against your scalp looks straighter and shinier.

I'm still not loving my air-dried hair on wash day. It takes forever to dry fully and regain its softness, and the wave is less uniform. Updos make me feel and look put-together, like my curlers used to do. I'm so glad I resisted the urge to keep heat styling every day.

Jenn of Pence
July 18th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I air dried it today (for church even!), and my waves actually turned out cute. And I didn't have the crazy frizz I usually have after air drying. So I'm going to keep trying to kick the heat styling. Sheesh, why is this so hard?????

I air dried my hair this morning for church, too. ;) Well, I air dry every day now...but I was sure eying the hair dryer sitting on the counter in my in-laws' bathroom today. It is so humid here (I'm visiting here; I live in a much drier climate) and it's really driving my hair crazy. I just almost caved to help smooth it out a little bit, but knowing how loud the thing would be was the only thing that prevented me. Must...prevail...over temptation!! ;)

I've otherwise made it over the hump of going cold turkey on the heat styling. I don't think that an occasional blow dry on low heat is bad for my hair, and I may have to do it in the cold of winter (my hair is thick, and it would be uncomfortable to go out with the roots damp when it's cold out). But I've found that I don't need it or the straightener at all to be happy with the look of my hair, especially using the right products to achieve shine or straightness. I almost never even think about it anymore, except in this different weather. There is hope!!

alabaster
July 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Well, I have a confession. I blow dried (with a round brush:o) and then flat ironed the sides of my hair.....twice! I really do want to recover from this silly addiction, but it's so dang hard!!!!!!

My hair is shoulder length in front, and just past chin length in the back. It's at a very frustrating length to air dry, but if I torture it just right then it can look perfect, and actually in good condition. But I know it's just the lies of heat styling. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky!

I am right there with you! Dont beat yourself up. Just get right back on the wagon. I had a slip up earlier this week and i flat ironed my hair after trying a wrapping technique. It was really nice to see how much growth i had over the last while, but i felt so guilty afterward. Everyone has slip ups now and then, but the important thing is to learn from the slip up and move on :)

paigeturner
July 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I've used no heat on my hair for around 3 weeks...I miss my beloved curling tong! And my hairdryer. Despite my hair being fine it takes aaaages to dry, like 3 hours!
But I've noticed a major growth in my hair so s'all good!

We can do it!

BrightEyes
July 18th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I've found that I don't need it or the straightener at all to be happy with the look of my hair, especially using the right products to achieve shine or straightness. I almost never even think about it anymore, except in this different weather. There is hope!!

This is what I can't wait for, to be happy with my natural hair. I always start out with good intentions to embrace my hair the way it is, but when it doesn't air dry right I reach for the flat iron and then......walla!! I'm suddenly in control again!:rolleyes:

I keep hearing there is a transition period, but it's hard for me to be patient long enough to get through it and find out what my hair can really be like. Nope, patience was never a gift of mine. LOL!

BrightEyes
July 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I am right there with you! Dont beat yourself up. Just get right back on the wagon. I had a slip up earlier this week and i flat ironed my hair after trying a wrapping technique. It was really nice to see how much growth i had over the last while, but i felt so guilty afterward. Everyone has slip ups now and then, but the important thing is to learn from the slip up and move on :)

It's nice to know there are others who are also trying to quit heat styling.

We'll all kick the habit together! :cheese:

heynormy
July 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
It's official you guys!! It's been ONE month since I've used any heat on my hair!! WOOHOO!! :D I think that's the longest I've ever gone!
I must admit, the temptation to straighten is stronger than ever! I must resist the urge..will power kick in please!!

GRU
July 21st, 2010, 11:44 AM
I must admit, the temptation to straighten is stronger than ever! I must resist the urge..will power kick in please!!

The Force will be strong within you, my tempted one..... :luke:

heynormy
July 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
The Force will be strong within you, my tempted one..... :luke:
Thanks GRU!! I just did a CWC and used a little coconut oil on my hair, now I'm just letting it airdry! Later on it WILL be in a bun!:cheese:

On a random sidenote...I was just watching some videos on youtube (for updo inspiration!) and I came across some straightening videos (not good for the condition I am in) and there seems to be a common theme! While many of the people who create their tutorials use various products in their hair prior to straightening, as soon as the straightener hits their hair, mass amounts of steam is produced! Almost all of them claim that it is only the product BURNING away, but since joining LHC I've come to the conclusion that it is the moisture in your hair that is actually burning away! Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

TawnyRoots
July 21st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Just sending a message of support! I went cold turkey around 3 months ago, it took about 2 months for my hair to get to a nice texture (LHC induced changed to CO). Before going CO and giving up heat styling I HAD to curl or straighten my hair or else it was frizzy and nasty, now it falls in soft waves or curls (depending on how fast it drys) AMAZING! :cheese:

Honestly I can't believe that I can now wear it down without doing anything with it, I hadn't done that for such a long time. You can get through this stage I promise and you will have awesome hair at the end :D

I think that straighteners are so appealing as they can transform your look and make you look polished instantly, I just think we all got a bit carried away with this and forgot how nice our hair was before.... and then our hair is frizzy and only looks good when styled, that's a vicious circle for you! :(

Reclaim your hair and its texture!

ETA: If I have the urge to straighten, I do just one section at the front, about one inch thick, just one, I know it sounds weird but that is enough to see how long it has grown, which makes the no styling even more worthwhile.

georgia_peach
July 21st, 2010, 05:37 PM
Mega Support for all you folks going cold turkey and cutting out the heat styling. I finally did it a year ago, and it was the best thing I ever did for my hair. Hang in there!!

alabaster
July 22nd, 2010, 09:21 AM
So my hair seems to have recovered nicely after my fall off the wagon last week. I finally tried wearing it down and air drying and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised at how the texture looks. I have posted a comparison shot so you can see the difference in air dried texture....

This was my first attempt letting it air dry in May 2010
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/muffintop1083/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
All round i was not impressed with how my hair turned out so i continued using heat. It has grown quite a bit since may and it has been over a month now without heat (with 1 slip up) and this is how it looks air dried.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/muffintop1083/Photo28.jpg

There is still a little bit of frizz where the damaged bleached ends are, but i think it is looking much better.

Thank you LHC:)

freckles
July 22nd, 2010, 09:23 AM
So my hair seems to have recovered nicely after my fall off the wagon last week. I finally tried wearing it down and air drying and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised at how the texture looks. I have posted a comparison shot so you can see the difference in air dried texture....

This was my first attempt letting it air dry in May 2010
http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/muffintop1083/GetAttachmentaspx.jpg
All round i was not impressed with how my hair turned out so i continued using heat. It has grown quite a bit since may and it has been over a month now without heat (with 1 slip up) and this is how it looks air dried.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad232/muffintop1083/Photo28.jpg

There is still a little bit of frizz where the damaged bleached ends are, but i think it is looking much better.

Thank you LHC:)

wow, it's so smooth and nice now! congratulations!

Jessclewlow
July 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM
:D im now in about week 6 of no straightening... still blow frying though... im giving up the hair dryer this week... so bad hair day a pleanty on the way :(
crazy thing is though since i stopped straightening ive had an entire inch of hair growth in a month so im absolutley gobsmacked!!! :D

TawnyRoots
July 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Wow Alabaster, what a difference! Sooooo worth it! Welldone for getting photographic proof that giving up heat is good for your hair!

GRU
July 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM

It's looking SO HEALTHY AND SHINY now!!!!! (And the ends will get better with time.)

I'm loving all these before-and-after pics... absolutely amazing stuff!

alabaster
July 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Wow Alabaster, what a difference! Sooooo worth it! Welldone for getting photographic proof that giving up heat is good for your hair!

It's looking SO HEALTHY AND SHINY now!!!!! (And the ends will get better with time.)

I'm loving all these before-and-after pics... absolutely amazing stuff!

Thanks guys! I am a bit obsessive with my photo booth on my Mac computer at work LOL. I take a photo of my hair almost everyday and especially if i try something new. When i first started doing it i thought that i was a bit crazy, but now that i have been taking pics for over a year it is really nice to look back at to compare. I seriously think that the progress pics have prevented me from chopping my hair off during the growing process.:cheese: I will be starting school in a month and leaving my current job so we will see if i can keep up the photo record while studying :)

Petite Simone
July 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
I used to straighten my hair EVERY day for years. Like I mean *years* I went cold turkey and I started seeing a huge improvement in my hair's health. It's been about two and a half years since going cold turkey and I haven't looked back. The beginning wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. I learned to love my hair as it is. Don't let the frizzies make you go back, because all that will do is make it worse. It's a vicious cycle of hair destruction. Good luck!!!!!!!

haharobots
July 23rd, 2010, 07:16 PM
Some encouragement for you ladies...

Pic of my hair after wash/co/airdry from when I first joined... early in June, I think. A frizzy, fried mess! I don't know how big this pic will post as, but trust me, its terrible.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_p46RqOvui_E/TAcPuXEIkzI/AAAAAAAAAEk/pnjObzetFaI/s144/photo%283%29.jpg

A pic from a couple weeks ago... after about two weeks of no heat. Its almost been a whole month for me, and my flat iron is wrapped up, and stashed under the sink. I am wearing it down, more and more. I also started using Aussie DC, and Infusium leave-in. I just noticed it looks a LOT longer too! Measuring by my bangs, more than an inch!
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_p46RqOvui_E/TEo7xWQhqfI/AAAAAAAAAF8/urndZQsAmSA/s144/photo%286%29.jpg

alwayssmiling
July 24th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Some of us seem to be getting extra growth from going cold turkey...:)

SapphiraSilver
July 24th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Oh man, I really wish I could give up the heat. I tried it for a week and my hair looks just horrible without heat, its really really thin, you can see my scalp, no volume and just a ton of frizz but not poofy frizz, flat, lifeless and totally depressing so I went back to blow drying. Maybe when my bangs get to chin length it wont look as bad, but that's a long way to go.

It's not too bad at the back, but the bangs and hair line just can't go without heat :(

NorthernDancer
July 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM
I've given up heat too. I just decided 1- I didn't want to damage my hair anymore and 2- it was to much work to curl my bangs every day.

Good luck, I hope you stick with it!

SapphiraSilver
July 24th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Those of you who air dry now, what it your method? Do you brush it first before it air dries? or leave it to dry as is out from the shower? or wrap it in some way?

I'm curious particularly to those who have wavy frizzy hair or hard to manage bangs as I do.

GRU
July 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I use my hands to "squeegee" the excess from my hair, plop into a Turbie-Twist towel, let that sit while I get dressed, etc., and then remove the towel to let it air dry.

heynormy
July 24th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Keep up the good work everyone!! I know I am! We can beat this together!:cheese:

Meagan
July 24th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I went two months straight without using my straightener....my hair felt so much better and grew fast, third month...i am back to my habit :)I just dont do it as much. It just looks so sexy shiny and pinned straight.

Meagan
July 24th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Those of you who air dry now, what it your method? Do you brush it first before it air dries? or leave it to dry as is out from the shower? or wrap it in some way?

I'm curious particularly to those who have wavy frizzy hair or hard to manage bangs as I do.

I have curly hair. I comb it in the shower and that's it, I dont touch it and I leave it to air dry.

alwayssmiling
July 25th, 2010, 03:00 AM
I wrap my hair in a towel, add a leave in then finger comb every now and then whilst it dries. To keep frizz down thats ontop of my head I keep smoothing it down with the palm of my hands.

beez1717
July 25th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm trying to go cold turkey but I hate the feeling of a wet shirt on my back. Sigh what do I do about that? Do I just deal?

Gulbahar
July 25th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I'm trying to go cold turkey but I hate the feeling of a wet shirt on my back. Sigh what do I do about that? Do I just deal?
My shirts never get wet and I always airdry. How long do you keep your wet hair in the towel?

beez1717
July 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM
My shirts never get wet and I always airdry. How long do you keep your wet hair in the towel?

I keep my hair in the towel for 5 minutes and then its off and on for the next half hour! Am I doing something wrong?

kjirstiben
July 25th, 2010, 09:27 AM

Take this for what it's worth, but here's how I "air dry" and smooth out my own frizz-prone wurly/curly hair.

After I take the towel out of my hair post-shower, I detangle my hair, and pull it back into a bun. I used to do a plain cinnibun that I would anchor with a plastic hair fork (one of these (http://www.franceluxe.com/pc/9566/CombsSticks/index.html)), but my hair outgrew the cinnabun and now I use the Nautilus bun instead.

I have to wear my hair up for work, and I find that putting it up while it's wet has two nice benefits: 1) it looks sleek and professional (although perhaps a touch severe), and 2) when my hair has dried like this, I get a glossy smoothness where my hair has been pulled over my head, and loose curls from the bun. It looks truly gorgeous (shiny, smooth, unlike its real self!) when I let it down later.

The downside is that it takes 2 full days (or more!) to dry when you do this -- but from everything I've read, damp bunning is pretty good for hair, particularly thirsty damaged hair.

One note: with this method, detangling while wet is really the most important step -- I use first a wide-toothed comb to get out tangles, then to pull it back into a ponytail, then I smooth the hair with a finer-toothed comb when it's in place, to make sure I don't have rumples and lumps, or knots in the ponytail.

I typically pull the hair straight back from my forehead when I do this (I have a low forehead and can get away with that look), but I've also had good results with parting my hair and smoothing it around to the nape of my neck before bunning.

Had to look for a bit, but here's an example of how this looks with a side part. Sorry about the lack of detail -- indoor flash -- but it gives you an idea of how it looks. My hair here is fresh out of the shower.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_K_10etXq5-0/TExXIYa5MhI/AAAAAAAAA50/tYLMHrv3bj0/s300/IMG_1027.JPG

I suspect that hair type may play into whether or not this works for you. (And perhaps face shape--it can look VERY severe.) Hope this helps!

Beatrice
July 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I keep my hair in the towel for 5 minutes and then its off and on for the next half hour! Am I doing something wrong?

I had to get used to the feel of damp hair, but after a few weeks, I didn't notice it anymore. Do you squeeze your hair a lot? I squeeze out the moisture, comb, squeeze out the moisture, blot . . . until no more water comes out. I always make sure I finish with the comb, so the hair is more separated. Too much squeezing or towel drying will clump my hair and cause it to dry more slowly.

Gulbahar
August 1st, 2010, 02:02 AM
Five minutes wouldn't be enough for me. I keep it like 10-15min in the towel and then let it airdry. It dries faster this way too.