PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can chemical dyes cause shedding?

oceanwoman111
June 20th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I recently did a chemical glaze to darken my hair. I loooove the color ,but about two weeks after the process, I started shedding double the amount that I usually do and I'm still shedding. :( I've noticed that parts of my scalp look thinner. Could it really be from the dye? I know it causes damage such as dryness and now I'm regretting it ,but I wasn't expecting this. Is it because of how harsh the chemicals are on the scalp? Has anyone else experienced this? I know some people can dye their hair all the time and have no problems. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Chopandchange, I should have taken your advice. :agree:

Spidermom, Help!!

RavennaNight
June 20th, 2010, 06:10 PM
What product exactly did you use? I used Revlon hair dye once when I used to chemical dye and I shed a lot after the process. Enough that I never used that dye again:shudder:. You never know what your scalp reacts to.

But do you have any other stuff going on as well? Like illness, conditions, change in medicines, extreme stress? Are you eating properly?

Rapunzal2Be
June 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
When I was using chemical color I did shed a lot when rinsing out the color.

spidermom
June 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Oh gosh; I wish I could help. It could be a reaction to the chemicals or it could be that the weather has changed, you're under stress, or something else. I know if it were me I'd take very basic care of my hair -- very gentle washings when needed, water rinses only as often as possible, condition the length -- and let my scalp rest.

I hope the shedding stops soon.

Medievalmaniac
June 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM
hang in there. There are a number of reasons you could be experiencing a shed. How much darker did you go w/your glaze? Have you used it before? Keep in mind that summer is a natural shedding month for many of us. If you are wearing your hair up more and brushing/combing less, you will see more hair come out at a time than you are used to seeing. Stress, dietary changes, and hormone balances all come into play as well. It might be the glaze, but that seems odd, if it was just a glaze and not full color.

UltraBella
June 20th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I am going through a large shed right now and I think it is the weather. My dog is doing the same thing, so we are shedding together ;)

teela1978
June 20th, 2010, 06:28 PM
The only shedding I ever had with color was during the coloring proccess (mainly noticed during the rinse-out, as mentioned by Rapunzel2be). I think it's probably just that time of year. I feel like I've shed a few squirrels worth in the shower over the last couple weeks and I'm pretty sure it's just from the heating up of the world. Mine seems to have stopped finally thank goodness.

My hair is thicker since quitting chemical color, but again my shed from it was always while the chemicals were on my head. I'd think yours was from other factors if you dyed weeks ago.

kwaniesiam
June 20th, 2010, 06:30 PM
You say you did a chemical glaze, what product exactly did you use? That will help since there are many types of chemical colors, some have nastier ingredients than others and everyone has different sensitivity levels. Have you colored your hair previously with something similar and noticed the same results, or are you just more aware of it since joining LHC?

There are many factors that can cause shedding, a sensitivity to one of the chemicals in the color, seasonal shedding, something changing in your routine, hormonal imbalances, vitamin deficiencies, etc.

oceanwoman111
June 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Ravenna Night - The product that I used is from Sally's. It's called Ion Demi Permanent with No Ammonia with the developer for Sensitive Scalp. Have you heard of this? I'm trying to think of other factors such as diet or stress ,but nothing else has changed too much. It could be this product because I have never shed this much after a glaze. I'm wondering if it was too strong. It is acting like permanent color, not washing out or fading at all. From now on, only henna color. :)

Spidermom - Thank you. Sorry I had to call out for your help ,but it's scary. I took pics of my scalp and it's bad. I will try babying my hair and scalp for a while. Gentle washes like you said. :flowers:

Medievalmaniac - I'm really trying to pinpoint something that I'm doing differently. I have been working more ,but I've also been taking yoga and finally got rid of my panic attack issues a few months back. I'm going to think more about it. My diet isn't really the best. It's just weird how it happened after I dyed it.

Ultra Belle - lol!! I hope it's just the season.

kwaniesiam
June 20th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Ravenna Night - The product that I used is from Sally's. It's called Ion Demi Permanent with No Ammonia with the developer for Sensitive Scalp. Have you heard of this? I'm trying to think of other factors such as diet or stress ,but nothing else has changed too much. It could be this product because I have never shed this much after a glaze. I'm wondering if it was too strong. It is acting like permanent color, not washing out or fading at all. From now on, only henna color. :)

Spidermom - Thank you. Sorry I had to call out for your help ,but it's scary. I took pics of my scalp and it's bad. I will try babying my hair and scalp for a while. Gentle washes like you said. :flowers:

Medievalmaniac - I'm really trying to pinpoint something that I'm doing differently. I have been working more ,but I've also been taking yoga and finally got rid of my panic attack issues a few months back. I'm going to think more about it. My diet isn't really the best. It's just weird how it happened after I dyed it.

Ultra Belle - lol!! I hope it's just the season.

What volume developer did you use and what ratio?

oceanwoman111
June 20th, 2010, 07:12 PM
This is embarrassing ,but I am posting a pic. If anything as a cautionary tale of the consequences of chemical hair dye. I don't mean to sound so somber ,but my natural part has nearly doubled in size. :( Sorry for the slight blur.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4976&pictureid=74839

oceanwoman111
June 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
What volume developer did you use and what ratio?

Hmmm. It says 10 volume developer. It had massive shine to it. I used equal parts of both.

kwaniesiam
June 20th, 2010, 07:31 PM
How much darker did you go? Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the picture it just appears that your natural part has seemed to widen because of the line of your roots showing and how pale your scalp is against the darker color. When I used to color my hair black years ago, my natural color was so much lighter it looked like my hair was thinning drastically but really it was just my roots. I had fine thin hair and still do, so it definitely was a cause for alarm but it's just an illusion making it seem worse than it is. Check your circumference of your ponytail if you knew it beforehand and see if it has decreased, that way you'll know for sure if your hair has thinned or not.
I don't think you have too much to worry about, two weeks later is a long time to wait before a reaction would show up and 10 volume developer is very weak and deposit only. If you're truly worried and it does not stop I'd suggest seeing a doctor and getting some blood work done to test your thyroid, iron levels, and hormones to make sure everything is how it should be for peace of mind. Good luck!

oceanwoman111
June 20th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Kwaniesiam - Thank you. My natural color is a medium to dark brown ,but my hair is also fine. Maybe the contrast is making my scalp more noticeable and like you said lighter hair is growing out giving it the illusion of a wider part. I hope so. I just feel like there is a lot less. You know how when you rub your fingers through your hair and it just doesn't feel like usual. I think I will make an appointment for some blood tests just to be safe because I have never had a reaction like this to color. Thanks again! You've been very helpful.

Kome
June 20th, 2010, 07:48 PM
I've used this dye before and I wasn't a big fan of it. I worked at Sally's for about a year and a lot of stylists came in to buy this hair dye. I've used it a couple of times. It smells a lot better than other dyes, but I wasn't too impressed with the color.

Did you happen to get any dye on your scalp? Not just your hair, but on the skin on your scalp? Because this will dry your scalp out a lot. It happens on accident sometimes and maybe this is what happened. The developer will probably cause this before the Ion dye will.

The best advice I can give it to aloe vera/vitamen e oil, etc on your scalp for a week or so and see if that helps. I don't remember shedding more hair than normal with this dye, but I was also using bleach and other dyes so I'm not a good person to ask.

heartgoesboom
June 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I think you are imagining things because you're not very comfortable with using chemicals. Considering you used something with no ammonia, demi permanent with a very low volume, I'm sure you didn't damage your hair dramatically with one dye. It could be with maneuvering your hair to dye, hair is falling out that would fall out anyway. Also, I found that since I've dyed my hair back to it's natural dark color, I am more aware when I shed... and it's everywhere! I can't see your pictures so I can't judge from the pictures. But I agree with a previous poster that it probably look wider because of the contrast of the darker hair and the whiter scalp. =) I'm sure you're not shedding abnormally.

oceanwoman111
June 20th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I've used this dye before and I wasn't a big fan of it. I worked at Sally's for about a year and a lot of stylists came in to buy this hair dye. I've used it a couple of times. It smells a lot better than other dyes, but I wasn't too impressed with the color.

Did you happen to get any dye on your scalp? Not just your hair, but on the skin on your scalp? Because this will dry your scalp out a lot. It happens on accident sometimes and maybe this is what happened. The developer will probably cause this before the Ion dye will.

The best advice I can give it to aloe vera/vitamen e oil, etc on your scalp for a week or so and see if that helps. I don't remember shedding more hair than normal with this dye, but I was also using bleach and other dyes so I'm not a good person to ask.

This is a great point. I usually do it myself or go to the salon ,but this time I had a friend help me for better coverage. Well, there was dye everywhere and it took her some time to get through my whole head so it was sitting on my scalp for a long time. Probably longer than it should have been. Come to think of it, the places where she started are the places that seem to have thinned out the most.

oceanwoman111
June 20th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Heartgoesboom - I wish I was imagining things. I've used chemical dyes for years on and off so I do have experience with them. What's normal and what's not. Hopefully it will stop soon. Thanks. :)

Dreams_in_Pink
June 21st, 2010, 02:53 AM
I'm no expert at hairdye stuff, but maybe you're slowly developing an allergy to PPD dyes? :( Does the dye you used have PPD in it?

(I hope the shedding stops soon, you know how i adore your hair!)

Medievalmaniac
June 21st, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hmmm. It says 10 volume developer. It had massive shine to it. I used equal parts of both.

10 volume is a weak developer in comparison. I'd think if you glazed two weeks ago and only used 10, then you are just experiencing seasonal shedding. I highly doubt this is the glaze - but I do know it's scary when you think you are losing your hair!!! Hope all settles down soon! :)

Fairlight63
June 21st, 2010, 09:22 AM
I used to color my hair all the time (for yrs.) & I think that it made my hair shed and also made the hair finer in texture. As my hair is growing out now the hair at the end of the strand is a lot finer than at the root area. When I run the strand through my fingers I can feel the strand & as it gets to the colored area you can hardly feel the strand, feels almost like a spider web or something.
I may be able to change my texture from "fine" to med. texture. :cheese:

LaurelSpring
June 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM
I have had shedding due to products. I had to quit using chemicals because I became sensative. I itch alot though when that happens so if you arent itching it might not be that. When I had my sheds I doused my head with castor oil and that helped stop it.

spidermom
June 21st, 2010, 09:34 AM
I agree that it looks like your part is wider because there is a line where the dye stops and your natural color begins, and your natural color is a lot lighter than the dye.

C_Bookworm
June 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
I'm no expert at hairdye stuff, but maybe you're slowly developing an allergy to PPD dyes? :( Does the dye you used have PPD in it?

Good point. I developed a PPD allergy, and maybe 2 colorings before my scalp started shedding, I experienced massive shedding. After each color it would last maybe 3 weeks. Wish I had figured it out then, but I didn't realize it was an allergy until my scalp turned pink and swelled!

oceanwoman111, if you're going to dye again, please make sure to do the patch test first!I'd hate for you to have a reaction if it is that.

oceanwoman111
June 21st, 2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for spending time trying to help me figure this out. :flower: I really appreciate it. I don't know if it's the lighter hair growing in factor because I was examining tonight and there isn't any lighter, virgin hair there yet. It's all scalp unfortunately. Would be comforting if it was. I met with my cousin tonight who dyes her hair often and noticed some thinning in the front hairline too. I guess certain hair is more sensitive and can't handle the chemicals as well. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I'm just bummed because it felt like it was really thickening up. Well, lesson learned. Just have to be gentle with it for awhile and let my scalp calm down. Castor Oiled last night. The hair that is left is in great condition though. hehe That's a plus!! Have to try to be optimistic.

oceanwoman111
June 21st, 2010, 10:03 PM
Oh I see, in the pic that I posted, the flash made it look like I have a section of much lighter hair ,but it's just the oil shine reflecting the flash. The hair from the scalp to the bottom is all uniform. There is no lighter section. Sorry, I should take a better pic.

Nera
June 21st, 2010, 11:53 PM
I've experienced that too. I think I've lost more than 1/2 of my hair due to one chemical dye experience. Nobody notices, because I still have plenty. But when I braid it, i certainly do notice.
Never doing that again. !

oceanwoman111
June 22nd, 2010, 09:45 PM
I've experienced that too. I think I've lost more than 1/2 of my hair due to one chemical dye experience. Nobody notices, because I still have plenty. But when I braid it, i certainly do notice.
Never doing that again. !

Wow! Yes, imagine my 1b/f/m/ii hair with a loss like this. There's no way to hide it. I won't do it again either. I don't think I noticed the damage as much when I colored it before LHC ,but now I notice changes in my hair. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Your hair is gorgeous! Did it thicken back up after you stopped coloring?

oceanwoman111
June 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hello friends!! I'm happy to report the the shedding has drastically slowed down. Now I'm just hoping that some of the thinner patches fill in. It will take time ,but luckily it's moving in a good direction. Thanks again!! :)

oceanwoman111
July 2nd, 2010, 10:14 PM
I see tons of what looks like baby hairs. I'm not sure if it's growth or if it's from breakage. Either way it's hair and the shedding has stopped. Things have really shaped up in the past week. :cheer:

Dragon
July 2nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
I cant dye my hair eaither because my hair gets very itchey and sheds a lot. Prob the chemicals in the hair colour.