PDA

View Full Version : Buns are too heavy

plainjanegirl
June 20th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I have a bad habit of wearing my hair in a braid quite often. Feel like it makes me look plain and childish (would like to look more grown up so maybe I won't always be a single mom :) ). Besides with the really hot weather we are having and the fact that I work in a nursing home (where alot of the elderly are cold and like to run heat ) so I sweat buckets. So last week one morning I was gonna put my hair up for work , my hair was dry this morning BUT every bun I tried just felt so heavy and uncomfortable. So then today I washed my hair and it has been very warm in the house so I was gonna throw it up , and this time it was wet but the same thing again it just felt heavy and tight. Is this because my hair is thick ? But I have seen people with thicker hair on here have pics of their hair in buns. Are there certain buns that would not have such a heavy tight feel? Is it maybe because I wear a braid so much , like 99.9 percent of the time ? Don't wanna try to wear my hair all day if it feels heavy and tight when I put it up cause I get headaches easy and then it will just make me grouchy. Can't wait for any ideas !

Arctic_Mama
June 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM
It may be a sensation you have to get used to, but honestly the placement of the hair and the tightness of it makes the biggest difference. I find low, tight buns to be uncomfortable and feel heavy, and a looser, higher bun feels better to me. Know that your neck muscles will also get stronger the longer you wear your hair up as well, but most of it is just a sensation you must get used to :)

UltraBella
June 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I have a couple of bun pics in my album, and they absolutely MUST be that high up on my head or it is painful. It is amazing the difference it makes for me. All buns must be on the crown of my head, not the back of my head.
Also, your hair is heavier when it is wet. I can put mine up slightly damp, but not wet.

Capybara
June 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM
It may be the tools you use to secure your buns. Not every accessory is comfortable in every bun; I find that I have to adapt my accessory to the particular type of bun I'm wearing :)

Spring
June 20th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I was going through a period where my buns felt heavy and my hair is much shorter than yours..... goodness.... it seemed no matter where I placed it (I didn't try the crown area), it felt heavy and uncomfortable. For some reason my buns are comfortable again :shrugs: :), but I hope this passes for you too!

Themyst
June 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I wear my bun on the crown but it still feels too heavy. It's really been stressing and hurting my scalp.

I've started hair taping. It distributes the hair weight more evenly, there are no pins and clips to hold it, and I just can't say enough good things about it. :)

http://themysteriouslady.com/hairtaping3.jpg

torrinpaige (a member here) has a great tutorial on how to do it: http://www.youtube.com/user/torrinpaige#p/u/64/KqbAdvL8kME

Fractalsofhair
June 20th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Have you tried a crown braid? I've heard that's often better for hair.

cindy58
June 20th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I know what you mean -- I generally wear a high bun, often with a single stick. Then they may start listing to the side, dropping a loop, or pulling. Sometimes two sticks more securely placed helps.

Melisande
June 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Maybe try to hold the bun with more than one stick or even two? When my scalp is tender, I find that using hair scroos instead of sticks or fork helps distribute the weight more evenly.

Gumball
June 20th, 2010, 11:11 PM
The type of bun, where it's placed, how tight you make it, how you secure it, and the distribution of its weight all have a big impact on how it, and you, will be feeling later. Some buns might sag after a while, pulling on a section of hair and scalp, and making it hurt, possibly giving you a headache as well.

I can wear a Nautilus bun and have it be too tight or have it pull too much in one place, but then I can redo it right after and hit that sweet spot with it where it's perfectly positioned, evenly weighted, and very comfortable. A lot of that ends up being trial and error to find what synchronizes the best with you.

Example: A braided bun held with a flexi may sag and pull at some point, while the same bun held with some bobby pins becomes something I never feel unless I reach my hand back to poke at it.

ravenreed
June 20th, 2010, 11:12 PM
I find that if I use extra pins that sometimes it helps spread the weight better so all of it isn't hanging from one or two spots on my scalp. Different buns were more or less comfortable for me at different lengths so maybe try a different one? Also, as mentioned above, everyone seems to have a different spot where buns feel comfortable. Too low sits on my neck and bugs me and too high pulls the hairs and feels extremely heavy. So try placing your bun in different spots. Finally, try double buns. I wear them a lot. High ones might make you look younger, but lower ones look elegant. The only tricky part for me is getting the darned things even. Once that is done, I have a great time with them.

Oskimosa
June 21st, 2010, 12:03 AM
I've had that problem alot. Unfortunately, I haven't quite found much of a solution. There are a few updos that hold up well without pain, but my layers give me issues doing them. A few that work for me are crown braids and, as Tangerine recommended to me, the Masara. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND5dJXnBs2k) Both are great for distributing the weight; and at your length, I doubt you'd have a problem pulling either off. :)

Loreley
June 21st, 2010, 02:54 AM
I have iii hair, so I know what you are talking about. I wear my hair up almost all the time. It doesn't feel that heavy when I wear a low and loose bun with 1 stick. The problem with this is that I have to put it up several times a day because it's not secure enough. :(

meph
June 21st, 2010, 03:51 AM
I always used to wear a cinnamon or braided bun with bobby pins, sticks just didn't work for me and the weight of my bun always concentrated on one point when I used a stick. Mostly I'd just put four bobby pins in it, sometimes more when it became painful. Crown braids did do the trick too, and they look nice.
I hope you can find a way to put your hair up which feels comfortable.

spidermom
June 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM
I end up bunning, taking down, bunning, taking down multiple times most days because of that very problem. Every once in a great while, I find that "sweet spot" where my bun stays comfortable all day, and it's not always the same spot or I'd know where it was and use it more often (like UltraBella). Braids give me problems, too. I tell you - sometimes long hair is more a pain than a pleasure!

Pixna
June 21st, 2010, 07:40 AM
I often have scalp pain. I'm not sure if it has to do with hair thickness or something else. My buns are not overly big, but they do feel heavy. I often have to redo and relocate my buns several times throughout the day. If I'm very lucky, I'll hit that sweet spot in the morning and can keep the same bun in all day. That only happens about once a week. Sometimes the only comfortable spot is at the very top of my head or the nape of my neck. I do find that the sticks I use can make a difference, too. Often thinner sticks give me less pain than thicker ones, but I like thicker ones better, so I try to find a happy medium (not too thick, not too thin). Also, a bun style that distributes the weight evenly helps ward off pain too.

plainjanegirl
June 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
At least I am not alone guess I need to keep trying. Maybe I will in the evenings and on my days off. Cause when you work in a nursing home you don't wanna redo your hair several times a day.